C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Removing trim in '05?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
Removing trim in '05?

Does anyone know if you use the same procedure to remove the aluminum 'look' radio/climate control trim and gear shift bezel/lower console trim in the '05 as you did w/ the previous year's trim? I remember in my old '02 C240, I opened the ashtray door halfways and pryed two clips down and removed two screws in the center vents to remove the radio/climate control trim. I pryed up the shift control bezel and simply grasped the front of the lower center console trim and pulled up hard to remove it. Does the shifter bezel on autos and manuals in '05's pry off in the same manner? I want to remove the ashtray/cigarette lighter plug from their current spot to make room for an XM Roady. I'm going to use a Y adapter to make the single cigarette light plug into 2. I'll hide one under the console (this one will be used to power the Roady). The other will come out into the armrest storage area to power cellphones, etc. Thanks! Once I'm assured I won't break the trim pieces during removal, I'll be sure to take pix of my Roady install to help the fellow members of this forum
Old 02-14-2005, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by Jim Banville
Does anyone know if you use the same procedure to remove the aluminum 'look' radio/climate control trim and gear shift bezel/lower console trim in the '05 as you did w/ the previous year's trim?
Nope, there are no hinged clips, just screws and press in clips. The lower control panel and gear shift stuff is the same.

I think if you search here you should be able to find instructions, I am pretty sure it has been discussed 2-3 times and this may help you out.

-s-
Old 02-14-2005, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I did a search prior to posting and found nothing.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anyone? I've searched and searched, but nada
Old 02-15-2005, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You may need to spend some time with a search tutorial (this is not meant as an insult, it is constructive).

Try this post, from there you should be able to find more. I found this post on the first search I tried.

https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-electronics/84683-2005-mercedes-benz-c240-car-audio-install.html

-s-
Old 02-15-2005, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Scorchie, I found that on my first search too. It is USELESS! First of all, it mentions NOTHING about removing the entire ashtray assembly or shifter and lower console, which is most important for my project. Even the part about removing the trim around the radio is missing steps and is ANYTHING but clear! PLEASE prove my search skills terrible and show me a post w/ "decent" step-by-step instructions on removing the entire ashtray assembly and lower console for the '05! I'd like good instructions for the radio/climate control area too, but it is less important at this time.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Scorchie, I found that on my first search too. It is USELESS! First of all, it mentions NOTHING about removing the entire ashtray assembly or shifter and lower console, which is most important for my project. Even the part about removing the trim around the radio is missing steps and is ANYTHING but clear! PLEASE prove my search skills terrible and show me a post w/ "decent" step-by-step instructions on removing the entire ashtray assembly and lower console for the '05! I'd like good instructions for the radio/climate control area too, but it is less important at this time.
I will now state that your search skills are just fine, since you found the same post. It is your reading skills that need help!

First of all, I stated earlier that the parts you are most interested in are the same as 2001-2004, and you should be able to find those instructions. But just in case ... I will try to spell it out for you but this might still be too much... if this doesn't help, I apologize for I will be unable to help you!

1) check out thread https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=84683

2) go to post #21

3) follow that link

4) go to post #11

There it is stated that the pre-2005 W203 is exactly the same except for some minor differences, notably the screws in the bottom (instead of clamps); and some screws in the top and how the wood is clipped in.

You could argue that wingless had already removed the gear shift surround and ashtray, but then that could be construed as admitting that he knew how to do it using the original instructions.

Also in those threads it is stated to search for posts by session, which will give you further information.

-s-
Old 02-15-2005, 09:46 PM

Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
Originally Posted by CitronC230K_03
for 01-04 you have to take the center console off, then the ashtray and then the trim between the seats. or atleast thats the order i did it when i took everything off to run the Aux line for my COMAND.
Originally Posted by scorchie
You could argue that wingless had already removed the gear shift surround and ashtray, but then that could be construed as admitting that he knew how to do it using the original instructions.
The item missing from the two prior topics was the requirement to pop off the gear shift surround, that Steve just posted today, listed above. The closest information, in the prior topics, was posted by Doug, listed above.

That first step is required prior to removing the entire ashtray, to gain access to the lower screws. Otherwise, those lower screws cannot be removed and the dash doesn't come apart.

MB does not help the situation by withholding factory service documentation, except by on-line subscription. This is my first vehicle for which I do not have factory service manuals. That sucks. Factory parts manuals, when available, are also very helpful, as they often show blown apart diagrams of assemblies.

When I have time, I'll subscribe and print the pages I need.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Okay, I think I can do what I need to without removing the gear shifter bezel itself. I just need to pull up the lower console panel that the gear shifter bezel is mounted to so I can remove the entire ashtray assembly. I just don't want to ruin my brand new interior parts. So, you are saying that for '05, removing the lower console is the same as previous years? Just open ashtray door, grab front of lower console panel and pull up? I need re-assurance! Thanks!

Jim
Old 02-16-2005, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Okay, I think I can do what I need to without removing the gear shifter bezel itself. I just need to pull up the lower console panel that the gear shifter bezel is mounted to so I can remove the entire ashtray assembly. I just don't want to ruin my brand new interior parts. So, you are saying that for '05, removing the lower console is the same as previous years? Just open ashtray door, grab front of lower console panel and pull up? I need re-assurance! Thanks!

Jim
Yes, just pull it up. You do not need to remove the gear shift surround as stated elsewhere, just pull up on the trim piece! Do it! Then the shifter surround can be removed after, it's easier that way. Oh yeah, when removing the two screws for the trim piece, make sure you get the ones for the trim piece and not for the plastic dash surround. I didn't look last time I did it and removed the wrong screws.

-s-
Old 02-16-2005, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by scorchie
Oh yeah, when removing the two screws for the trim piece, make sure you get the ones for the trim piece and not for the plastic dash surround. I didn't look last time I did it and removed the wrong screws.

-s-
I'm afraid I don't follow you here. Where are these screws you are talking about? What trim do they secure? I was thinking that once I pull up the large center lower console piece that I would only have to release a couple of tabs on the front of the ashtray assembly to get it out. I probably won't have to remove any other trim beyond that for my project.

thanks again
Jim
Old 04-28-2007, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C320 4Matic
It's too bad that the most intuitive searches lead you not to the answers, but to a maze of links and posts to follow to eventually get to the answer, if you don't get frustrated enough to give up along the way. I'm still chasing down the posts to remove the ash tray assembly (that's how I ended up here), and will do my best to consolidate the information for others in the future.

A direct link to the posts referenced above:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=79501 and
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=79501

it reads:
"Just search for the pre model updated 203 radio removal threads...the updated 203s are almost alike except for some minor differences...

The panel that holds the climate control has 2 screws on the bottomside instead of 2 clamps (obvious to see once you have the ashtray - complete assembly, NOT just the door - out) and the top panel that holds the switches is secured with the exact same 2 screws as in the pre updated 203s. Biggest diference is to be found in the clamps that hold both panels at the radioside...seriously IT IS EASY." --- MBenzNL.

I'm looking for the pre model updated 203 radio removal thread and will post results.

For a 2002 model, here are some instructions:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...remove+ashtray
and with some illustrations:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/108450-finished-my-xm-install.html

Last edited by raunen; 04-28-2007 at 10:58 AM.