C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C350 - 335i Comparison

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 12:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63
C350 - 335i Comparison

I thought that I would note a few of my impressions regarding a comparison between my C350 and 335i sedans.

1) They are very similar in many regards. In the past, cars were far more different from each other than they now are. The level of quality and performance has risen som much that the similarities outweight the differences. Just look at some car reviews in the mags from 20 years ago. There were huge differences among competing cars. Much less now these days.

2) Engine - the BMW has significantly more power. This, however, is not say that the 350 is slow. It is not. A 6 second car is quick - quicker than a GTO from the muscle car days. The 350 is quick - the 335i is very quick.

3) Exterior styling - subjective of course - I prefer the 350 by a wide margine. I like the creases and drama of the car. The 335i is competent and compact looking but rather plain in comparison.

4) Interior styling - also subjective - I like both. The BMW actually has more wood and feels more old world than the 350. The materials quality is about the same. The 350 design is more open and makes the interior look larger. The 335 interior feels more warm. The layout of the controls for the 350 is superior to that of the 335 (which does not have the much maligned i-drive).

5) Steering - The steering in the 350 is much lighter than that of the 335. The 335 steering is heavier and actully has some measure of reluctance right off center. The 350 steering is very quick - almost abrupt right off center.

6) Brakes - They feel very similar. I find both easy to modulate, with good stopping power but I have not taken either car on the track to test their fade resistance.

7) Quality - The panel fit of both cars is very similar. Both had rather wide but consistent panel gaps. This seems to be a German trait. Interior panel / piece fit is very good in both cars. The paint of both cars is typically good of present day cars - with some orange peel. This is about the same in both cars. I know that the Mercedes has paint with micro silica particles to resist swirl marks. It seems like a good idea. We shall see. There are two very small (pin point) flaws in the Mercedes paint.

8) Underbody - The underbody arrangement and materials are very similar. Both cars use extensive plastic underbody panels. Both use the quilted aluminum foil panels around the rear area of the car. On the Mercedes, this foil is on both sides of the rear underbody, with a large plastic section between them. In the BMW the entire rear is foil.

9) Suspension - The ride is similar. Both are well controlled and firm. The BMW feels a little more taunt than the Mercedes.

10) Transmisisons - A comparison is difficult here since I have a manual six speed in the BMW and the 7 speed auto in the Mercedes. Both are fine transmissions. I do wish that the Mercedes had steering wheel shift buttons like my C55 had. However, using the stick to control the shifts is ok (I always use manul mode).

11) Engine compartment - Both engine compartments are well laid out but the Mercedes engineers seems to have paid a little more attention to details in the engine compartment.

12) Exhaust - As from the factory, the BMW exhaust had some more sound compared to the 350. The 350 is one of the quietest cars I have every owned. (The 350 has two cats, two small resonators, one large central resonator and two rear mufflers). As I typically do, I had the two rear mufflers removed from both cars. The BMW is louder than the Mercedes with this modification.

13) Handling - Both cars handle very well, but feel substantially different. The BMW feels tighter and smaller. The Mercedes feels very agile but in a lighter manner than the BMW. It would take some time on a track to determine which is better at speed.

14) Issues - I have had zero problems with both cars, but they are both very new. The one issue that is of interest is the high oil temperature of the 335i. My car has the sport package with the manual, which means that it comes with an oil cooler. Despite this, the engine runs hot - about 240 before my exhaust mod and 220 after this mod. There is much reporting about 335i's running hot when on a track - very curious that BMW would have not addressed this cooling issue adequately.

15) NVH - The BMW drivetrain actually makes a fair amount of mechanical noise and through the grearshift, one can feel the vibrations of the drivetrain. The Mercedes is very smooth by comparison. Some of this may be due to the more isolated feel from an automatic transmission.

15) Both are very fine cars. No loser here. Much of the preferene for either car comes down to subjective issues and individual preferences. For performance the BMW is somewhat superior. For styling, the Mercedes wins by a convincing margin.

TEAShea
from Nebraska
Old 09-18-2007, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C350
Now there's an intelligent review from someone who actually OWNS both cars.

Agree or disagree with his conclusions, at least he is succinct and has more experience in both than just a test drive or two.

Good job.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:29 PM

97 Nissan Maxima, On order '08 C350; AW, Grey/Black Tex, P2, MM, 18"
Now there's an intelligent review from someone who actually OWNS both cars.
+1

Thanks for the excellent and unbiased review, TEAShea.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:29 PM

2008 C350 Black/Black Leather, P2, 18" AMG, Pano, illuminated door sills, chrome handles, long wait
Nice review TEAShea,

Um, one bothersome question (not important) but why do you have both cars? Just a curious question. Just because if it was me I'd put the money together to get a S-Class or soemthing of that nature.

Thanks again! Any pictures?
Old 09-18-2007, 01:35 PM
err

2008 C350 Arctic White, 2013 Infiniti JX35
excellent review !

I've driven both cars and couldn't agree more with your review...
Old 09-18-2007, 01:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
great write-up!
Old 09-18-2007, 03:16 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
11' R8 - 11' RR Sport
I test drove both the 335 Coupe/4 Door and the C350 this week. Yesterday Benz, today Beamers.

Exterior Benz does it for me. Interior...TIE since they are both bland compared to my IS350.

Power...the 335 has no problem flying past the C350. Hesitation at first, then WHAM. The C350..is just a nice car if your a girl..or an old person. If you don't care about speed and take-off...... Then the C350 is for u.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63
Why

To answer the question, I have both cars simply because I like cars - particularly small sedans. I find that they compliment each other.

TEAShea
Old 09-19-2007, 03:34 PM

2017 C350e Black on Black , 2017 Honda Civic Touring, 1965 Ford Mustang Convertible
Originally Posted by UGOTMOPPED
The C350..is just a nice car if your a girl..or an old person. If you don't care about speed and take-off...... Then the C350 is for u.
I have to disagree I think the c350 looks nice for a man or women no matter what age!
Old 09-19-2007, 08:44 PM
Almost a Member!

2008 C350 Sport / Steel Gray / MM / AMG
I have to respond here since my choices were between the 335 and the 350. I leaned toward the Bimmer since I've been in nothing less then 280hp for the last 3 cars I've owned. I used to think that most 4-door sedans were for old people as well. To order the BMW to my exact specifications, I was looking at 4 months...the Benz, 6 weeks.

Needless to say...I'll be picking up my steel grey C350 Sport in a few weeks!
Old 09-22-2007, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
agreed. i love the way the C350 looks!

Originally Posted by BoLd69
I have to disagree I think the c350 looks nice for a man or women no matter what age!
Old 09-23-2007, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by TEAShea
I thought that I would note a few of my impressions regarding a comparison between my C350 and 335i sedans.

1) They are very similar in many regards. In the past, cars were far more different from each other than they now are. The level of quality and performance has risen som much that the similarities outweight the differences. Just look at some car reviews in the mags from 20 years ago. There were huge differences among competing cars. Much less now these days.
Agreed, it took Mercedes 7+ years to finally get it. but I think they will have a winner for existing customers and gain a few new lookers for those seeking a change. (In an AUDI, LEXUS, or BMW)

2) Engine - the BMW has significantly more power. This, however, is not say that the 350 is slow. It is not. A 6 second car is quick - quicker than a GTO from the muscle car days. The 350 is quick - the 335i is very quick.
Yes, let's just say spirited.

3) Exterior styling - subjective of course - I prefer the 350 by a wide margine. I like the creases and drama of the car. The 335i is competent and compact looking but rather plain in comparison.
Yes, it is your opinion. I like the look of the AMG styled C350, the lines are CLS 'esque', and I love the AMG grill.

4) Interior styling - also subjective - I like both. The BMW actually has more wood and feels more old world than the 350. The materials quality is about the same. The 350 design is more open and makes the interior look larger. The 335 interior feels more warm. The layout of the controls for the 350 is superior to that of the 335 (which does not have the much maligned i-drive).
Just as a heads up-BMW has 3 trims: Dark Wood, Light Wood, and Aluminum. Their customer (Mostly coming from Mercedes and Lexus) asked for more wood finishes so there you have it...

The theme of the C350 is to not have a wood trim to accent the dash, they have the C300 for that. The C350 is meant to be muscular and high tech, remanence of the sportier cars of old. If you notcied, the dark (Greyish Black) wood on the armrest area accentuates the aluminum dash trimmings.

I would expect nothing less!

About the iDrive, I will not even go there, COMMAND has it own issues; nothing else needs to be said on that topic. (I'd rather lead than follow).

5) Steering - The steering in the 350 is much lighter than that of the 335. The 335 steering is heavier and actully has some measure of reluctance right off center. The 350 steering is very quick - almost abrupt right off center.
Hmm, how about the C350's steering is softer... When you press the sport button, the shift (Steering) ratios are smaller which give you the driver the feel we call lighter or heavier.

BMW is naturally aggressive, no need to go ///M but more to state that ONE of the secrets about BMW is its driving feel. Some like it. Some love it. Some do not.

For Performance driving, you buy in this order: BMW, AUDI, Mercedes, Porsche
For Racing, you buy in this order: Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, AUDI
For Aggressive driving, you buy in this order:///M, AMG, RS, TT

All IMO of course...

6) Brakes - They feel very similar. I find both easy to modulate, with good stopping power but I have not taken either car on the track to test their fade resistance.
You might find and overall equilibrium between the two on the track (Just as long as you drive them the same; apples-to-apples). But because the C350 has drilled rotors in the front, I think this will give the C350 a slight advantage.

7) Quality - The panel fit of both cars is very similar. Both had rather wide but consistent panel gaps. This seems to be a German trait. Interior panel / piece fit is very good in both cars. The paint of both cars is typically good of present day cars - with some orange peel. This is about the same in both cars. I know that the Mercedes has paint with micro silica particles to resist swirl marks. It seems like a good idea. We shall see. There are two very small (pin point) flaws in the Mercedes paint.
Pin point... You seem like you do not want to share with us that Mercedes isn't perfect. It's okay. I will!

8) Underbody - The underbody arrangement and materials are very similar. Both cars use extensive plastic underbody panels. Both use the quilted aluminum foil panels around the rear area of the car. On the Mercedes, this foil is on both sides of the rear underbody, with a large plastic section between them. In the BMW the entire rear is foil.
No value in this comment... Unless you are an Aero Engineer. I am not sure you really understand the reason for some use of materials like this (Undercarriage)... Not a stab but just making an observation based on your comment in general.

9) Suspension - The ride is similar. Both are well controlled and firm. The BMW feels a little more taunt than the Mercedes.
What does this mean? "The BMW feels a little more taunt than the Mercedes." Are you insulting BMW by saying...? I did not get where you were going here.

10) Transmisisons - A comparison is difficult here since I have a manual six speed in the BMW and the 7 speed auto in the Mercedes. Both are fine transmissions. I do wish that the Mercedes had steering wheel shift buttons like my C55 had. However, using the stick to control the shifts is ok (I always use manul mode).
Someone agree. I will have to take the C350 through a few hours of driving. I'll let you know how that experience goes...

11) Engine compartment - Both engine compartments are well laid out but the Mercedes engineers seems to have paid a little more attention to details in the engine compartment.
Okay

12) Exhaust - As from the factory, the BMW exhaust had some more sound compared to the 350. The 350 is one of the quietest cars I have every owned. (The 350 has two cats, two small resonators, one large central resonator and two rear mufflers). As I typically do, I had the two rear mufflers removed from both cars. The BMW is louder than the Mercedes with this modification.
It's called a drivers car and the other a pure luxury.

13) Handling - Both cars handle very well, but feel substantially different. The BMW feels tighter and smaller. The Mercedes feels very agile but in a lighter manner than the BMW. It would take some time on a track to determine which is better at speed.
Hmm...

14) Issues - I have had zero problems with both cars, but they are both very new. The one issue that is of interest is the high oil temperature of the 335i. My car has the sport package with the manual, which means that it comes with an oil cooler. Despite this, the engine runs hot - about 240 before my exhaust mod and 220 after this mod. There is much reporting about 335i's running hot when on a track - very curious that BMW would have not addressed this cooling issue adequately.
Propaganda.

15) NVH - The BMW drivetrain actually makes a fair amount of mechanical noise and through the grearshift, one can feel the vibrations of the drivetrain. The Mercedes is very smooth by comparison. Some of this may be due to the more isolated feel from an automatic transmission.
It's called a drivers car and the other a pure luxury.

15) Both are very fine cars. No loser here. Much of the preferene for either car comes down to subjective issues and individual preferences. For performance the BMW is somewhat superior. For styling, the Mercedes wins by a convincing margin.
IYO. Yes...
Old 09-23-2007, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by ryanrohaley
I have to respond here since my choices were between the 335 and the 350. I leaned toward the Bimmer since I've been in nothing less then 280hp for the last 3 cars I've owned. I used to think that most 4-door sedans were for old people as well. To order the BMW to my exact specifications, I was looking at 4 months...the Benz, 6 weeks.

Needless to say...I'll be picking up my steel grey C350 Sport in a few weeks!

Sounds like someone is telling a little fib here...

Worse case is 7 weeks to get your hands on new 335i! I just went to the store yesterday and I have a new 335i coming in for a family member next month.

Tell the truth and shame the

Now, if you are going to tell me something weird, I'd love to hear this one.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
I'll still take the opinions of someone that actually OWNS both cars.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by MBTex
I'll still take the opinions of someone that actually OWNS both cars.
And that is your right.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
Originally Posted by BMW650i
And that is your right.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by MBTex
Thanks for clearing that up for me.
You needed clarity...

Some people, not you of course values opinions and experiences of others.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
You needed clarity...

Says the guy who posts that others comments have "No Value" and are "Propaganda"....

Might want to search the forum a bit Newb before making general statements about some of the members.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 VW GTI
You needed clarity...

Trolls are not tolerated here. Why are you here again?
Old 09-24-2007, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by session
Trolls are not tolerated here.

Originally Posted by session
Why are you here again?
Same reason you are... Intimidation will get you know where. If you do not like what I said, BAN me!

You and your silly friend MBTex are...

I provided a response/feedback as in any forum and you push back like that.

Your assumptions are very wrong and I care not to explain myself to insecure pions. I know why you attack me... I see your kind on the road and on the boards like this all the time...

Old 09-24-2007, 10:18 PM

2008 C350 Black/Black Leather, P2, 18" AMG, Pano, illuminated door sills, chrome handles, long wait
Someone is jealous that a Mercedes has out done BMW.

This sort of ridiculous logic is rampant with some people here. They can't be happy about a car, they have to be rude and rain on people's parade.

Have some class 650i, unlike your car
Old 09-25-2007, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
I wonder if he knows Spoonie?
Old 09-26-2007, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
I agree with OP, it is so difficult to choose between these two cars, so only way is buying them together.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:02 PM

2008 - S550 4Matic, 2010 - E350 4Matic, 2010 - C350 4Matic
I am looking at these two cars too. I must say, I agree with TEAShea's review. In Canada these cars are sold in different "packages" and then price has to be included in the evaluation and the MB C350 Sport has an advantage. That may change when BMW announces their 2008 price list. I am waiting.

In the past, my experience is that both brand of cars drive distinctively different. One is not better than the other, but there is a big difference.

Because of the exterior styling and the well priced package, I am leaning toward the C350 Sport-4Matic.

Jorg
Old 09-26-2007, 11:33 PM
RBP

From what I've gleaned from the various boards and posts from many different people who have a relatively unbiased view of things, they are both good cars but here's the low down. Again...not my opinion...just an amalgamation of what I've read.

- 335i is the better performer in launchinig, cornering and stopping.
- They both look good but if you're comparing the exteriors of the 2 sedans, more people seem to like the looks of the Benz. The 335i coupe does have many lovers though.
- 335i has the better interior. People hate the vast amounts of cheap looking plastic in the C350 and the limited color and trim selection.
- The C350 is more comfortable which is better if most of your driving includes pot holes and stop and go traffic. 335i is "sportier" and firmer which is better if you're on a race track.
- Some guys just like manual transmissions and the C350 doesn't have one. The C350 has the better automatic though with it's silky smooth 7 gears.
- Nav system on C350 is better though mixed reviews on the pop-up display. A similar number of people don't like the bulge in the dash of the 335i as the pop-up. No one seems to love the iDrive system but many seem to like the new Benz system.
- C350 has more cargo room, therefore more practical for most people. Pretty marginal difference here. Interior volume is pretty close between the 2 sedans, but the coupe's back seats are pretty hard to get in to.
- BMW vs MB in terms of brand value is subjective and no real winner. The general consensus is that MB has the more "I'm wealthier and more refined" whereas the BMW has the "I'm younger and sporty". Both are expensive but neither will really turn heads compared to actual expensive cars like Bently's, Astons, Lambos, Ferraris and the like. The 335i with more radical color combinations do inspire more emotion than the black or grey of the MB. The 335i convertible is certainly impressive with the hard top action and some of the color combinations.
- 335i is plagued with fuel pump and other reliability issues. The C350 is too new to tell.
- Service issues are dealer specific and both brands have good and bad dealers.
- C350 is less expensive.
- Both have AWD but the BMW makes you sacrifice some features (like 19" rims and active steering) which C350 didn't have in the first place.
- A few features which either doesn't have e.g. panoramic roof, shift paddles, color options, power steering column and others.

Neither is perfect and you kind of wonder why. When MB saw what the 335i could do...why didn't they offer a better option. C350 sport should have been faster and better than 335i and the C350 non sport should have the luxo comfort you'd expect from Benz. Ideally you could get both with the flip of a switch.

Anyway...that's what I've seen.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C350 - 335i Comparison