C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2009 C-Class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C350 & other fine MB products
Originally Posted by JimPap
Looks like you guys are all wanting an E or S class at the price of a C class....which would be a deal that I'd like to have too, but lets be realistic about this. You're getting a hell of a nice car for under $40K. If you want all these extras, shell out another $10K+.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350 Coupe Steel Gray
Originally Posted by Savage c-300
hahah its so sad how one person can put a whole country into shame.
*cough* George Bush *cough*
Old 02-14-2008, 01:12 PM
QQQ

MY2001 C320
If memory seats and keyless go don't come in MY09 would you keep waiting for MY10 or go somewhere else (e.g. Canada)?
Old 02-14-2008, 02:04 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
Originally Posted by QQQ
If memory seats and keyless go don't come in MY09 would you keep waiting for MY10 or go somewhere else (e.g. Canada)?
For me, it's a very simple answer. Without seat memory, I will not buy another MB. Some say move up to the E Class but I disagree.
I have had many E Class cars and to me they are not the answer. Yes, the E Class cars are more elegant and roomier, but that is where things stop. I have owned 13 E Class cars since 1986 and there are none of them that I would trade for my 06 C350. MBUSA seem to be stuck with the philosophy that the C Class is an "entry level" car so if you want certain options you will need to "move up?" to an E Class. That is certainly not the thought in Germany where people buy whichever model fits their needs.
I'm not asking for more standard features, only the opportunity to order key things like seat memory, keyless go and Parktronic.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:18 PM

2005 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
Offer me a C-Class Diesel in 2009

I'm guessing there'll be a diesel C-Klasse, a c220 cdi or even better the c220 bluetec. I'm done with petrol engines, I want 40mpg+. The diesel is a superior technology all around and Mercedes dominates. MB needs to introduce one in the US since the BMW 335d is slated for release this fall.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Almost a Member!

Audi A4
My dealer told me that the 09 will for sure add paddle shifters... But other than that he had no idea what would change. I am also hoping for memory seats and keyless go.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Originally Posted by SteveAustin
I'm guessing there'll be a diesel C-Klasse, a c220 cdi or even better the c220 bluetec. I'm done with petrol engines, I want 40mpg+. The diesel is a superior technology all around and Mercedes dominates. MB needs to introduce one in the US since the BMW 335d is slated for release this fall.
I was set to get a R320 but now in my area diesel prices have shot up to 25 cents more per gallon than gasoline. The C gets close to 30 miles per gallon (highway) once the engine has been broken in (year or two) so by doing a little math and figuring out that the added cost of the diesel engine ($1000) plus having to pay an additional 25 cents more per gallon, just so I can get an extra 10 miles out of a tank of gas isnt worth the added money. To add to this, I only keep my vehicles for 4 years or 50k miles, so for me in my situation a diesel just doesn't make much sense.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:01 PM

Looks like you guys are all wanting an E or S class at the price of a C class....which would be a deal that I'd like to have too, but lets be realistic about this. You're getting a hell of a nice car for under $40K. If you want all these extras, shell out another $10K+.
Well, you would be completely and totally wrong.

What I want are reasonable and appropriate options based on the type and class of car I'm buying. EVERYONE else has memory seats in cars competing in this class ONLY MB does not. And if it's under $40k, it's barely under. I don't mind paying for it. In case you didn't read, you might remember I said I'd be willing to pay for it. The lack of memory seats eliminated the C class, and I'm considering the E. I currently have a CLK (with memory seats, btw). As does my 8yr old 4x4 pickup. As does my wifes minivan. As does so very many other vehicles.

The problem for MB is that since I'm considering paying more to get an E, that also means I need to compare the E to the competition. That would as an example be the Infinity M35X. That car is more powerful, more optioned, better featured, more reliable and less expensive than the E. I would not have considered the M35X if the C would have passed muster. It didn't. So now I'm having trouble deciding if I want a new E or a new M35x. Would I prefer the feel of an E? Yes. Am I going to buy one? Don't know yet.

I'm more than willing and more than capable of paying another $10k. I don't need to finance. I'm just writing a check. For you to make a rude and highly presumptuous statement that I'm asking for too much is a bit much.

One of the problems is that people defend the ridiculous crap that MB does. I love lots about their cars and have spent enough to justify my comments. But, deliberately eliminating features that consumers of today expect isn't "quality". It's arrogance.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:25 PM
Almost a Member!

Audi A4
^ Couldn't agree more with you... That's why I am considering the B8 A4.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:40 PM

S550, ML63 AMG
haha seems some people have really strong opinions about this. thanks for all your replies. I'm still debating C300 vs S5. I really like the engine of the S5, but like the styling of C300. Also, S5 has all the options. Oh well, I'm almost 96.7% sure I'm getting C300. What do you guys think of the S5? Almost signed for the C yesterday, but stopped myself. haha. I can live without memory seats and key less go. I'm not really going to use memory seats, and keyless go is nice, but not necessary. I love merc for the reliability, build quality, and safety. MB makes the safest cars in my opinion. There built like tanks. Never owned an Audi...so don't know much about them. How have any of your experiences been with Audi?
Old 02-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Almost a Member!

Audi A4
The S5 is such a beautiful car... I saw one in person the other day and it blew me away. Just my opinion. But I would go for that over a C300 in a second. I have a A4 right now and have had zero problems with it. Audi's are great cars, with great options.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Originally Posted by wmhjr

What I want are reasonable and appropriate options based on the type and class of car I'm buying. EVERYONE else has memory seats in cars competing in this class ONLY MB does not. And if it's under $40k, it's barely under. I don't mind paying for it. In case you didn't read, you might remember I said I'd be willing to pay for it. The lack of memory seats eliminated the C class, and I'm considering the E. I currently have a CLK (with memory seats, btw). As does my 8yr old 4x4 pickup. As does my wifes minivan. As does so very many other vehicles.

The problem for MB is that since I'm considering paying more to get an E, that also means I need to compare the E to the competition. That would as an example be the Infinity M35X. That car is more powerful, more optioned, better featured, more reliable and less expensive than the E. I would not have considered the M35X if the C would have passed muster. It didn't. So now I'm having trouble deciding if I want a new E or a new M35x. Would I prefer the feel of an E? Yes. Am I going to buy one? Don't know yet.

I'm more than willing and more than capable of paying another $10k. I don't need to finance. I'm just writing a check. For you to make a rude and highly presumptuous statement that I'm asking for too much is a bit much.

One of the problems is that people defend the ridiculous crap that MB does. I love lots about their cars and have spent enough to justify my comments. But, deliberately eliminating features that consumers of today expect isn't "quality". It's arrogance.
If you feel that strongly about it, why are you here complaining about it. Just go buy another car and be done with it. That is, unless your whole intention is to complain rather than find resolution to the problem you perceive. But lets face it, you'd rather complain.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
we should pay $10,000 for memory seats?

they are going to add paddle shifters for 2009? how many more sales are they going to generate with paddle shifters on what is still an automatic transmission, versus sales they are losing to people with husband/wife of different heights, who want seat memory?
Old 02-14-2008, 10:28 PM

If you feel that strongly about it, why are you here complaining about it. Just go buy another car and be done with it. That is, unless your whole intention is to complain rather than find resolution to the problem you perceive. But lets face it, you'd rather complain.
No, that would also be incorrect. Just providing my feedback, and don't appreciate a ridiculous remark that expecting a $40+ (yes, that's correct - a fully loaded P1, P2, Multimedia, etc is over $40k) should have something as routine as memory seats is asking too much. I'm not even asking for the memory positions to be tagged to the key (again, which MB stopped trying to do and everyone else is doing).

I've said my solution. I'm currently deciding between an M35x and an E350 4Matic. I prefer the electronics and exterior style of the C, but in no way can I justify paying for what's inside it. My personal preference. But you shouldn't have to spend $50k to get memory seats. You do realize that even Hyundai has them, right?

And btw, I have more than one car - including another mb. That's why I'm here. In addition to the probably altuistic hope that every once in a while some MB marketing folks stumble through here. If they hear enough from multiple places, maybe they'll start adding features again - like they used to. lately all they've done is take them away. Like how I was surprised during a test drive of a new E350 last week that the reverse turn-down mirrors are gone. It's funny how Lexus, Infinity and Audi still have them.

I really want to pick up another new MB, but it's getting harder and harder to justify it.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by aparikh1207
haha seems some people have really strong opinions about this. thanks for all your replies. I'm still debating C300 vs S5. I really like the engine of the S5, but like the styling of C300. Also, S5 has all the options. Oh well, I'm almost 96.7% sure I'm getting C300. What do you guys think of the S5? Almost signed for the C yesterday, but stopped myself. haha. I can live without memory seats and key less go. I'm not really going to use memory seats, and keyless go is nice, but not necessary. I love merc for the reliability, build quality, and safety. MB makes the safest cars in my opinion. There built like tanks. Never owned an Audi...so don't know much about them. How have any of your experiences been with Audi?

For what it's worth, Audi is a nice car, and the 5 is just beautiful. Haven't seen an S5 yet - only an A5. The S5 will run circles around any new C except the C63. Consumer reports and others have rated the Audi at least as good if not better in quality than MB the past few years. They did have some problems a few years ago. I just don't like the "feel" that the Audi gives me on the road. Steering is too light for my taste. I've been told that the feel of the new 5 is nicer, though. Isn't the S5 a good bit more expensive than the C? If price were not a factor between those two, I'd take the S5 every day - except I need 4 doors. Needing those two extra doors is the only thing that kept the S5 off my list. I started with a list which included the new C300/350, the Audi A6/S6, the Infinity G35x and M35x, the BMW 535xi, the Lexus IS250 and GS350. I also had one "fringe" option - the Caddy CTS-V, except there is no V yet plus I really thought the interior was cheaply done when I saw it in person. The CTS was cut quickly, as was the IS250. The Infinity G was just not quite right for what I wanted - felt a little cramped. Didn't like the Audi feel before even getting out of the parking lot. The Lexus GS didn't do anything for me. Too soft. That leaves the E350 and the M35x at the top of the list and the 535xi as a long shot. The M35x is probably a better car to be honest. It has way more features, seems to feel quicker, and has a far better quality and reliability history. I just haven't gotten used to the styling yet. Plus, though it reportedly handles better I don't get that real "stable" feel that I like from the MB. It feels more "twitchy". OTOH, the E350 looks nice, is quieter inside, and has that "Benz" handling. It's just missing about every option out there, and it feels just a little sluggish to me. I'm going to give myself a couple more weeks to decide.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Couple quick thoughts:

It took MB years to figure out that people wanted CD players standard, so you can't really be too mad at them for not having memory seats. Although the outgoing model had them, which really leaves them no excuse as to why they left them off the U.S. spec models.

Paddle shifters....almost more of a waste than the touch shift function. Lets be real here, the touch shift option came about because way back in the late 90's Chrysler came up with that damn auto stick and since then every other car company has had to put something similar in their cars to compete. In a car such as this, even in the C350..its useless. When you find out that the transmission does what it pleases as not to harm any of the components (meaning you want to hold a gear longer..it shifts..you want to down shift..it says no) why bother. Paddles would bring a little more interaction to the car for say the first few months, but then after realizing the downsides to the touch shift, you will just stick it in drive and drive like a normal person should drive. If you want paddle shifters...buy a Ferrari and find out what paddle shifters are really for.

For the user thinking about getting an E class...if your really really in love with the current model go for it. Other wise wait a few months and get a redesigned 09 model. Nothing worse than buying a car only to have them completely change the sheet metal on you a year later.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:39 PM

More or less agree. MB is crippling what would otherwise be a fine car due to what seems to be nothing more than blatant stupidity.

The paddle shifters are useless. I see them as an offshoot of the BMW. In the BMW SMG tranny, they are far from useless. But, that tranny is a work of art in motion. In non-SMG cars, they are just a fad.

Oh, but for the new E class? I'm told that it's far more than a few months away. Closer to a year. They are already talking about an "08-2" designation. I've talked to more than one dealer who is a little concerned about it.

Last edited by wmhjr; 02-14-2008 at 11:46 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:00 AM

14 'E550
The C300 and C350 are both underpowered imho by todays competition standards.

I would hope to think the 09 C350 will get the new SLK 305hp V6..that would at least level the playing field a bit.

Every model year car manufacturers add a few this and that's, wouldn't be surprised to see memory seats for 09...which should have been available from the start.

Also a C300 vs. S5? What kind of comparison is that?
Old 02-15-2008, 05:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by MB-JIM
For me, it's a very simple answer. Without seat memory, I will not buy another MB. Some say move up to the E Class but I disagree.
I have had many E Class cars and to me they are not the answer. Yes, the E Class cars are more elegant and roomier, but that is where things stop. I have owned 13 E Class cars since 1986 and there are none of them that I would trade for my 06 C350. MBUSA seem to be stuck with the philosophy that the C Class is an "entry level" car so if you want certain options you will need to "move up?" to an E Class. That is certainly not the thought in Germany where people buy whichever model fits their needs.
I'm not asking for more standard features, only the opportunity to order key things like seat memory, keyless go and Parktronic.
I agree completely. I can't understand why these features are left off when you can buy a Canadian C and get them. If they don't show up for 2009 that means that another bulb has gone out at MB headquarters in Jersey.

M
Old 02-15-2008, 05:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by wmhjr

Great post. It isn't arrogance, its just plain dumb marketing. I've tried to come up with a reason why they would eliminate this feature and couldn't. Doesn't make sense when every other market has it. This to me suggest that MB might be planning to update the C heavily for 2009 with more features, engine from the 09' SLK350 for the C350 and the sportier chassis setup both the C300 and C350 sports. The only thing I could see is that they wanted to make sure the quality was right before piling on the extras, but that doesn't wash either when the previous car had it and every other Benz has it also. There simply is no excuse.

M
Old 02-15-2008, 08:37 AM

C300 (W204) w/ MM, P1, & 18"amg's
^The U.S. MB market was weak. Once the sales boost backup ill expect to see more similarities with in the UK and US models. IMO
Old 02-15-2008, 03:12 PM

09 E350
Originally Posted by chilledbenz
Couple quick thoughts:

It took MB years to figure out that people wanted CD players standard, so you can't really be too mad at them for not having memory seats. Although the outgoing model had them, which really leaves them no excuse as to why they left them off the U.S. spec models.

Paddle shifters....almost more of a waste than the touch shift function. Lets be real here, the touch shift option came about because way back in the late 90's Chrysler came up with that damn auto stick and since then every other car company has had to put something similar in their cars to compete. In a car such as this, even in the C350..its useless. When you find out that the transmission does what it pleases as not to harm any of the components (meaning you want to hold a gear longer..it shifts..you want to down shift..it says no) why bother. Paddles would bring a little more interaction to the car for say the first few months, but then after realizing the downsides to the touch shift, you will just stick it in drive and drive like a normal person should drive. If you want paddle shifters...buy a Ferrari and find out what paddle shifters are really for.

For the user thinking about getting an E class...if your really really in love with the current model go for it. Other wise wait a few months and get a redesigned 09 model. Nothing worse than buying a car only to have them completely change the sheet metal on you a year later.
A number of good points have been made on both sides of this issue. On one hand, memory seats have become fairly standard. But, on the other hand, the key-dependent memory settings were a source of problems for Mercedes on the earlier run 203s and the 211s.

My take on it is that Mercedes is not being arrogant. Rather, I think there is an honest to goodness effort going on to reposition Mercedes for people who buy the car based on the quality of the machinery, the fit and finish, the car's feel and handling, and its longevity (and note that longevity is not the same as reliability), not on the basis of what I refer to as "gizmos".

Here's the thing: it is very difficult, if not impossible, to beat the Japanese on the basis of gizmos. Back up cameras, nifty screen-based interfaces, and great audio systems at a competitive price are where the Japanese manufacturers like Lexus and Infiniti do some of their best work. But, on the other hand, how many 15 year old Infinitis do you see on the road? Has anyone ever taken the time to compare, using a paint gauge, the amount of paint on a Mercedes to the amount on the front bumper cover on an Infiniti G series? And then of course there is the interior quality. While Japanese cars look great for the first few years, my experience is that the German sedans continue to look great for years because the quality of the interior materials is better.

My point is that Mercedes has taken a beating the last few years on CR ratings, largely based on the fact that the car's "gizmo" features can give problems. Besides improving quality so that the gizmos are more reliable, which Mercedes can and has done, Mercedes is also, I think, refocusing on where the Germans have a genuine advantage so as to make the Japanese compete with them not on the Japanese manfacturers' strengths, but on the Germans' strengths. Based on what I have seen, and people in the business with whom I have spoken, Mercedes is willing to lose customers who are shopping their cars solely on the basis of gizmos and features. (And this is not in any way to say those customers are "wrong" -- this is all pure personal preference -- people should spend their money how they see fit.) It is making an effort to sell its cars based on the marque's traditional attributes. The heavy emphasis on events like the C drive show that this is the case. "Drive the car and you will buy it" seems to be the strategy, not "compare our features to theirs and you will buy it."

So, again, I am not saying people are right or wrong. But the folks running all big car companies, like Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Lexus, Infiniti, etc. are pretty smart, and they know their businesses extremely well. The decisions that they make are not accidents, or simple pig-headedness. They are most likely making an effort to position their respective brands based on the perceived strengths of that brand, as shown by their marketing research.

My own .02, fwiw, is that someone who is that concerned about the presence of memory seats should buy a different car. I couldn't imagine that ever driving my decision to buy any car. Rather, the car's performance, handling, and safety would be the top drivers of my choice. And in terms of those visceral aspects of performance, nothing compares to the best offerings from Mercedes, or if you are more performance oriented, BMW. To me, everything else is a dimestore copy of the genuine article.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:28 PM

1990 190E 2.6, ... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
Not having a C350 4-Matic was a deal breaker for me. No C-Class for me until this happens.
Mike
Old 02-15-2008, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
Originally Posted by maryjcl
A number of good points have been made on both sides of this issue. On one hand, memory seats have become fairly standard. But, on the other hand, the key-dependent memory settings were a source of problems for Mercedes on the earlier run 203s and the 211s.

My take on it is that Mercedes is not being arrogant. Rather, I think there is an honest to goodness effort going on to reposition Mercedes for people who buy the car based on the quality of the machinery, the fit and finish, the car's feel and handling, and its longevity (and note that longevity is not the same as reliability), not on the basis of what I refer to as "gizmos".

Here's the thing: it is very difficult, if not impossible, to beat the Japanese on the basis of gizmos. Back up cameras, nifty screen-based interfaces, and great audio systems at a competitive price are where the Japanese manufacturers like Lexus and Infiniti do some of their best work. But, on the other hand, how many 15 year old Infinitis do you see on the road? Has anyone ever taken the time to compare, using a paint gauge, the amount of paint on a Mercedes to the amount on the front bumper cover on an Infiniti G series? And then of course there is the interior quality. While Japanese cars look great for the first few years, my experience is that the German sedans continue to look great for years because the quality of the interior materials is better.

My point is that Mercedes has taken a beating the last few years on CR ratings, largely based on the fact that the car's "gizmo" features can give problems. Besides improving quality so that the gizmos are more reliable, which Mercedes can and has done, Mercedes is also, I think, refocusing on where the Germans have a genuine advantage so as to make the Japanese compete with them not on the Japanese manfacturers' strengths, but on the Germans' strengths. Based on what I have seen, and people in the business with whom I have spoken, Mercedes is willing to lose customers who are shopping their cars solely on the basis of gizmos and features. (And this is not in any way to say those customers are "wrong" -- this is all pure personal preference -- people should spend their money how they see fit.) It is making an effort to sell its cars based on the marque's traditional attributes. The heavy emphasis on events like the C drive show that this is the case. "Drive the car and you will buy it" seems to be the strategy, not "compare our features to theirs and you will buy it."

So, again, I am not saying people are right or wrong. But the folks running all big car companies, like Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Lexus, Infiniti, etc. are pretty smart, and they know their businesses extremely well. The decisions that they make are not accidents, or simple pig-headedness. They are most likely making an effort to position their respective brands based on the perceived strengths of that brand, as shown by their marketing research.

My own .02, fwiw, is that someone who is that concerned about the presence of memory seats should buy a different car. I couldn't imagine that ever driving my decision to buy any car. Rather, the car's performance, handling, and safety would be the top drivers of my choice. And in terms of those visceral aspects of performance, nothing compares to the best offerings from Mercedes, or if you are more performance oriented, BMW. To me, everything else is a dimestore copy of the genuine article.
Looks like more than 2 cents to me...
Old 02-15-2008, 03:36 PM

528i, GLK
MBUSA is to blame here, not Mercedes engineering/design. Some genius at MBUSA decided that US customers can't not comprehen the various options combos that were available on the previous C-class and rather to lump them together to get P1, P2, MM... Honestly, the combination of P2 doesn't even make sense to me. I would rather forgo the headlamp washer, sunshades for memory seats.... Either some dumb exec had too much of an ego or the focus group they ran was out of whack...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2009 C-Class