C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2009 C-Class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 C 350 2014 GLK350
There are many who think of seat memory as another unnecessary gizmo. That is certainly true for people who don't regularly share their car with someone else. For those of us who do share a car, the inconvenience in manually adjusting the seats, steering and mirrors is a real annoyance. Even my 87 300TD wagon has memory seats.
It's probably unfortunate but once we get used to a convenience, it is very hard to do without. Why not eliminate central locking, power seats, ABS brakes, stability control, xenon lights, intermittent wipers and many other things that we now have? Many of you who don't think seat memory is important might be very upset if certain of the above items were taken away.
Our problem is simply that the "gods" at MBUSA simply feel the C Class cars should be only an "entry level" product and if we want more features we should get the E Class. I just wish I enjoyed driving an
E Class as much as I do the C Class and I would gladly switch back.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:16 PM

C300 (W204) w/ MM, P1, & 18"amg's
Originally Posted by MBTex
Looks like more than 2 cents to me...
+1... thats like a buck fifty right there... I have other things to do, can we keep this posts to a 150 word max lmao. JK very info.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:40 PM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by MB-JIM
Our problem is simply that the "gods" at MBUSA simply feel the C Class cars should be only an "entry level" product and if we want more features we should get the E Class. I just wish I enjoyed driving an
I bet those "gods" still living in the time where memory seats are considered to be a luxury option, you said it right on, even hyundia has them.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:42 PM

^+1 (lets just hope MB reads our forums)
Old 02-15-2008, 05:05 PM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by PoaMike
^+1 (lets just hope MB reads our forums)
oh, i'm sure someone from MBUSA is reading this and hopefully reporting back... but the deciding powers at MBUSA probably still think only 14 yrs old kids are on the internet....
Old 02-15-2008, 08:01 PM

^+1
Old 02-15-2008, 10:08 PM

09 E350
Originally Posted by PoaMike
+1... thats like a buck fifty right there... I have other things to do, can we keep this posts to a 150 word max lmao. JK very info.
Sorry if reading longer posts challenges your reading comprehension.

You know that you could just skip the post if it too long, right? Or is that too difficult to comprehend? Maybe that's why you can't do without memory seats too . . . .

Thanks for reminding me why I don't visit this forum more often. Too many morons.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by maryjcl
My own .02, fwiw, is that someone who is that concerned about the presence of memory seats should buy a different car. I couldn't imagine that ever driving my decision to buy any car. Rather, the car's performance, handling, and safety would be the top drivers of my choice. And in terms of those visceral aspects of performance, nothing compares to the best offerings from Mercedes, or if you are more performance oriented, BMW. To me, everything else is a dimestore copy of the genuine article.
Well, imagine me :-)

I want to, but do not need to, replace my 2002 Passat. The 328 E92 and C350 are two cars I seriously like -- the Bimmer with stick for better handling/more fun when I am out on switchbacks, the Merc for the realities of bad city roads the rest of the time. They both are practical enough and fun enough that I could get either and be happy.

I tried to place an order for a 328 coupe as ED last Summer. Dealer was told that the car delivery date could not be set for when I wanted to pick it up, so I ended up having to pass. After I drove the C300 in late Summer, I decided to wait till the C350 was out. After I drove it, I thought it could be the best compromise for me. If memory seats had been available, I would most likely have placed an order a few months ago for ED delivery this March. But the option is not available, so I am waiting. Mercedes may lose my order, because in the meantime I have learned that Porsche should be coming out with a new Boxster later this year -- and I may just decide to keep the Passat as a beater and get a Box (which is much more fun, if impractical for 24/7 service).

Why are MS a must? (i) I leave my car with a (much shorter) valet every day -- it'd be a pain to reset the seats every day to the exact position I had chosen. (ii) Ditto when I go to the car wash. (iii) I have two positions, one for highway and one for city driving -- both are just right, and I have no intention of fiddling with the settings every time I switch between environments.

No MS, no C, no Merc -- simple as that. I have driven the E, and would buy it if I liked it -- but I don't, and I won't.

Last edited by ayilar; 02-15-2008 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by maryjcl
Sorry if reading longer posts challenges your reading comprehension.

You know that you could just skip the post if it too long, right? Or is that too difficult to comprehend? Maybe that's why you can't do without memory seats too . . . .

Thanks for reminding me why I don't visit this forum more often. Too many morons.

....Wow... It was a joke my freind. Why is it that people just love to go on ego trips over the internet? O thats right they can hide behind their screen name And my reading be very very good at least that what my mommy and daddy be tellin me. Of course it could be that my grandmother is an author of over 30 book in over 7 other languages and I have helped with each one? Who know but you know what... your right Im a moron. I was just joking... If I read Sun Tzu some informative post involving the car that I own can’t be to dawning. Relax... Life is to short for all this hostility.

-Mike
Old 02-16-2008, 12:54 PM
Almost a Member!

Toyota and planning to get a Sport C300, White, Manual, 18" AMG rims, MM, HK Sound.
Why no memory seats in the US even as an option

I think it's all related to production costs.
The C is much cheaper in the US and the packages offered (they don't make sense as someone said; I didn't check if they do), I think they make sense in accounting terms; the cost related to an option includes not only the materials used, but also set-up costs and of course labour. The memory seats probably would've costed them a lot to add, thus, would've led to a ridiculous price for the consumer so was better to not even make it available.
Cost of an option = [variable costs + fixed costs]/expected quantity; the issue here is the fixed costs portion.

For other countries, the prices are high enough to absorb the cost...

That's just a theory... cause I don't see any logic to not make it available to the US as an option.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:40 PM

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts
2019C63S coupe
Memory package is a £950 (approx USD2,000) option in the UK.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:37 PM

List price was USD 600 for driver's side Power & Memory seat/mirrors/wheel when I custom-ordered my 2005 C230k SC.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:15 AM

Well, I would disagree with most - if not all - of what Maryjcl says here. Here is the bottom line:

1) You may think it's ridiculous for the lack of memory seats to eliminate a car from consideration. You would be totally wrong. When you have two people of very different heights driving the car, such an option pretty much becomes mandatory when you're talking about a "luxury" car. If my wife gets out of her van and I try to get in, I can't even sit down to adjust the seats without the memory function. I have to stand outside (very nice when it's raining) and hold the buttons until the seat moves back far enough to even get in the vehicle. Further, because of the slow rate of movement that the MB seats have, it would take a while.

2) You would be equally as wrong about what you're labeling "gizmos". We're not talking about lane change warnings or all around cameras here. We're talking about options which exist in every other MB and have for years. Features which MB pioneered decades ago.

3) This also isn't an issue really about "quality", unless those features have lower "quality" only when used in the US. Because, those features are available everywhere else. As a matter of fact, the quality issue is a very important but separate issue. The way to improve customer sat and reliability is NOT to disable or remove features (such as look down mirrors) in the US. And it's not a production cost issue either. The feature is mechanically there, but simply disabled. That is arrogant.

4) As far as "performance", etc, let's get something straight. The C is no rocket and it's not a sport car. As an example, the G35x is faster, handles better, stops faster, etc. Do I like it? Not really.

There is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for the marketing "strategy" of MB here in the US. Telling somebody they should look for another car is unnecessary. That's what we're doing. And many of us have driven MBs for decades.

Last edited by wmhjr; 02-17-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:12 AM

Lexus IS 350 F Sport
Thank God im just about the same height as the husband so no need for the seat to be moved at all however the guy i dated before meeting my husband was like a foot taller than me so in that case i certainly can see the benefit of memory seats
Old 02-17-2008, 12:28 PM
QQQ

MY2001 C320
Originally Posted by MB-JIM
There are many who think of seat memory as another unnecessary gizmo. That is certainly true for people who don't regularly share their car with someone else. For those of us who do share a car, the inconvenience in manually adjusting the seats, steering and mirrors is a real annoyance. Even my 87 300TD wagon has memory seats.
It's probably unfortunate but once we get used to a convenience, it is very hard to do without. Why not eliminate central locking, power seats, ABS brakes, stability control, xenon lights, intermittent wipers and many other things that we now have? Many of you who don't think seat memory is important might be very upset if certain of the above items were taken away.
MBUSA Prez was Prez of MB Canada and he brought good options to Canadian lineups... so he thinks US wants less or he hates Americans?
Old 02-18-2008, 10:13 PM
Almost a Member!

Silver 2005 Acura TSX Navi
kinda switching gears... what about colors for 2009? does MB usually add or subtract a color or two every year? is there any expectation of something new?

same question goes for wheels... i am not a fan of the 4matic sport wheels, i would take the 4matic lux wheels any day... should i expect a slightly different wheel in 2009?
Old 02-19-2008, 01:41 PM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by Jon935
kinda switching gears... what about colors for 2009? does MB usually add or subtract a color or two every year? is there any expectation of something new?

same question goes for wheels... i am not a fan of the 4matic sport wheels, i would take the 4matic lux wheels any day... should i expect a slightly different wheel in 2009?
a dealer has told me majestic black (hint of blue hue...)
Old 02-19-2008, 07:44 PM

14 'E550
The fact is, at this point....if you're in the market and can afford to wait for the 09 models. Or maybe at least wait until the 09 changes are announced.

A number of important things could change, down to an engine upgrade in the C350. And obviously a few new features here and there.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Almost a Member!

Silver 2005 Acura TSX Navi
Originally Posted by webada
a dealer has told me majestic black (hint of blue hue...)
personally i would like to see a lighter blue, like bmw offers, actually they have two, a medium bright blue, and a really light baby blue, i would love either color
Old 02-20-2008, 08:30 PM

C350 4MATIC Premium Package Obsidian Black
are there no memory seats for the c350 in the US. The c350 in canada has memory seats. i just confirmed this last night with my dealer.can there really be that much difference between MBUSA and MB-Canada?

if so the only reason i can see MB-Canada giving us more gadgets is to compete with the fact that cheap american cars are flooding the used market.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:30 AM

Memory seats are not available on any US C-Class. Don't know about the pending C63, but not on the C300 luxury or sport, or the C350 sport. Of course, we also can't get the C350 4Matic. Nor the C300 Estate.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Almost a Member!

C300
Originally Posted by blastit
if so the only reason i can see MB-Canada giving us more gadgets is to compete with the fact that cheap american cars are flooding the used market.
That makes sense! It could contribute in certain way to prevent the used US C class from going into Canadian market, even for brand new C class being smuggled into Canada.

Last edited by kimyoung_k; 02-21-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:54 PM
QQQ

MY2001 C320
Originally Posted by wmhjr
Memory seats are not available on any US C-Class. Don't know about the pending C63, but not on the C300 luxury or sport, or the C350 sport. Of course, we also can't get the C350 4Matic. Nor the C300 Estate.
... or C230 and C230 4Matic, or Keyless Go for that matter.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:12 PM

C63 i thought was going to be in the US... hope not that way I dont hate myself everytime I see one then again how will I get thos sexy black housed lights?
Old 02-21-2008, 01:27 PM
QQQ

MY2001 C320
Originally Posted by wmhjr
Any word C300 Estate is coming here?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2009 C-Class