C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

lamin-x headlight tint install - pics inside

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 06:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
black c300 sport p1
lamin-x headlight tint install - pics inside

ok let me start this by saying outright that i'm probably going to need to have this redone at some point by a professional. i'm not posting this because it looks good but because theres been a running thread about these tints and as far as i know im the first to attempt it (from the thread at least).

the color of the tint is just right i would say - slight enough that you notice a difference but not dark by any means.

problem #1 - the gills on the side of the headlights. water gets trapped in there and its impossible to get out and it immediately caused rippling in my tint. the directions say over time this fades away but i'm not holding out much hope for that. i immediately decided i needed a professional at this point.

problem #2 - for the layperson (read: me) it was pretty difficult to line the tint up correctly with the headlight since our headlights are very round and egg shaped in parts. so at the ends, typically by the gills (because i squeegeed from the front to the sides) there ended up being about a millimeter or two of excess tint. because the vinyl is pretty thick, the excess wont really stick behind the headlight very well so its kinda just floating there in the gap between the headlight and the quarter panel, stuck in some places and unstuck in others. overall the job (at least at those ends) looks pretty rough.

granted the second headlight, once i figured out what i was doing, looks much better than the first but i guess this will do for now until the black case headlights come out or i work up the nerve to buy another kit and go to a professional.

i'm going to take a razor to the edges to see if i can clean them up a bit but i wanted to post some pictures before i did because i dont think it's intended that you have to cut away bits of the tint to have it sit flush with the headlight, and besides i dont have time to do it now anyway.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 C300 Sport
Thanks for the first hand report. Did you try the fog lights?
Old 02-26-2008, 06:36 PM

C300 (W204) w/ MM, P1, & 18"amg's
Nice, Very clean.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:15 PM

black c300 sport p1
Originally Posted by norcal5
Thanks for the first hand report. Did you try the fog lights?
did not try the fog lights and i'm not sure that i'm going to...the kit also includes the rectangular side marker in addition to the fogs. anybody want these pieces?
Old 02-26-2008, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 155 Posts
99 E320
Originally Posted by trial0r
did not try the fog lights and i'm not sure that i'm going to...the kit also includes the rectangular side marker in addition to the fogs. anybody want these pieces?
I'll grab them since you're offering. The laminates they offer for my car has
different shape (more curved) than the trapazoid of my year. What are
you asking for these excess pieces? Have pic or measurements?
Old 02-26-2008, 07:28 PM

black c300 sport p1
Originally Posted by raymond g-
I'll grab them since you're offering. The laminates they offer for my car has
different shape (more curved) than the trapazoid of my year. What are
you asking for these excess pieces? Have pic or measurements?
the pieces are form cut to the w204 fogs and orange markers so i doubt theyre going to look right on anything other than a w204
Old 02-27-2008, 08:38 AM

CLS63
Has anyone tried to take those reflectors off ????? My car is still at the shop have the grill and roof spoiler done. I asked the shop to see if those were just glued on with double stick tape, and if they could try and remove same.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:02 AM

C300 (W204) w/ MM, P1, & 18"amg's
...All you need now is to paint the grill black.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Hmm
Old 02-27-2008, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 4matic
Originally Posted by Saks_C350_Sport
Has anyone tried to take those reflectors off ????? My car is still at the shop have the grill and roof spoiler done. I asked the shop to see if those were just glued on with double stick tape, and if they could try and remove same.
I remember reading somewhere the front corner reflectors are clipped into place and removing them will most likely break them (if you are not careful and experienced), so ordering a new pair and tinting them will be your best bet.
I'm hoping there will be aftermarket clear corners available eventually.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:29 AM

BMW E90, W204 C350
is it illegal to do it in Vancouver ?
Old 05-29-2008, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Originally Posted by aowhaus
I remember reading somewhere the front corner reflectors are clipped into place and removing them will most likely break them (if you are not careful and experienced), so ordering a new pair and tinting them will be your best bet.
I'm hoping there will be aftermarket clear corners available eventually.
When I replaced my side markers with the clears, I found them to be very durable. No experience, by the way. I just jumped in and did it. Did you see my thread? Unless you're a total oaf, you should be able to remove them without breakage.

Also, I just installed X-pel 20 mil headlight protection on mine. The pieces have cutouts for the stupid "gills" in the lenses. Installation was very easy. I tried installing some earlier without the cutouts, and found it to be very frustrating. I have quite a bit of experience installing these and clearbra, and I must say, the headlight covers without the relief cutouts are not worth the effort. I almost seems impossible to install them properly.

Last edited by Derspeed; 05-29-2008 at 10:32 PM.