C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Clear Bras - Looking for some sources to buy myself

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
Clear Bras - Looking for some sources to buy myself

I'm looking for some sources where I could order a clear bra for the nose of my car and attempt to install it myself.

In particular, I remember someone posting the installation of a clear bra done at their dealership, and it was in *several pieces.* Here we thought it didn't provide as much coverage, but I liked the idea in that I would be able to better install several pieces and a little protection is better than none.

Anyone have any idea where to find that particular one?

If not, I welcome being pointed in any direction towards these. Thanks so much. I hate seeing my front end add 1-2 of these small annoying nicks every couple weeks. I think I primarily just want it for the bumper itself and maybe the lights, but I know the light ones are easy to find by themselves.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I bought from invisiblemask.com, I've used xpel.com in the past. Installation isn't too hard, watch the instructional video they give carefully and make the proper baby shampoo and alcohol mixes to do the job.

When I do my new C, I'll try to take some pictures.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

this is a tough DIY job - just did it today. Would have come out better with a professional installer I think.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
I have done a lot of clear bra installs in the past, but on the C Class sport, I basically gave up and called a pro. The pro guy was trained and it still took him 3.5 hours just for the bumper. It looks great though. Do not buy anything that isn't 3M or X-pel (TAKE THIS WARNING SERIOUSLY). Also, make sure it has a clear coat. I have purchased from two eBay sources and basically wasted money both times.

If your time is valuable, and you only want to buy it once, have a pro do it. Trust me, if you have never installed clear bra, you do not want to learn on this car.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by Derspeed
I have done a lot of clear bra installs in the past, but on the C Class sport, I basically gave up and called a pro. The pro guy was trained and it still took him 3.5 hours just for the bumper. It looks great though. Do not buy anything that isn't 3M or X-pel (TAKE THIS WARNING SERIOUSLY). Also, make sure it has a clear coat. I have purchased from two eBay sources and basically wasted money both times.

If your time is valuable, and you only want to buy it once, have a pro do it. Trust me, if you have never installed clear bra, you do not want to learn on this car.
+1000. X-Pel or 3M guys. Get it done professionally, I did went with Xpel. You screw it up, and there is hell to pay.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I guess I'll have to live without one then because I don't even know where I'd begin to have it done at, and I don't really want someone messing with the car. Oh well.

I still wish I could find the post where someone had one installed that was in about 10 pieces on the front bumper. I think I could do that one because it's small pieces to work with, even if it wasn't the most protection nor most beautiful.

Thanks guys. At least I know not to try now.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bigben320e
+1000. X-Pel or 3M guys. Get it done professionally, I did went with Xpel. You screw it up, and there is hell to pay.
Well, I don't know about "hell to pay" - worst case, you peel the thing off. Yes, you'll lose $$$s, but it doesn't damage the car.

But I admit as I did above - my DIY job here wasn't stellar - it wasn't horrible, but it wasn't perfect. But I look at it this way - the clear bra is essentially "sacrificial", so I'll leave my less then perfect DIY job on the car for a while and let it absorb some punishment that would otherwise damage the car/headlights, I'll have the car redone in a couple of years by a professional installer.

But yes, I did want to post this to warn other owners. I had previously done DIY with this for an Accord and a Passat, much easier.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I did my B5.5 Passat and it was easy. I am also doing the underside of the rear bumper and rockers on my C Class, but it's not as tough as the C bumper. OP, search paint protection or clear bra. You'll find a local (or close) installer. It's worth it.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:06 PM

E500(Sold), SL500(Sold), C350(Sold), ML350, SL65
I'm still waiting on mind to come from invisiblemask.com it being over two week now. They say it just like putting on tint on the windows..I will see how it turn out when I get it...
Old 10-05-2008, 04:13 PM

2008 C300 Sport P1/AMG
Found this on youtube. Looks like there are a few instructional vids on installation/uninstallation...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li8aEv6sok8
Old 10-05-2008, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by geeaccord
I'm still waiting on mind to come from invisiblemask.com it being over two week now. They say it just like putting on tint on the windows..I will see how it turn out when I get it...
except a window is flat, no curves or elevation changes. sure, it's easy to put onto something that is basically a flat surface.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:48 AM

09 c300 4matic
how much does it cost for the dealership to do this?
Old 10-06-2008, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by nyca
except a window is flat, no curves or elevation changes. sure, it's easy to put onto something that is basically a flat surface.
It's not even easy on flat surfaces if you don't have any experience doing it. I am not going to say anything else after this...you will regret trying to install paint protection on the bumper of a W204 if you have never done it before.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Question:

I have a front license plate (yuck I know but nothing I can do now):

After having it off for the protection installation, how would you get screws back through the clear bra to mount the bracket back on?

I'd be worried it could hurt the surrounding area or something putting screws through it?
Old 10-07-2008, 02:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by mac911
Question:

I have a front license plate (yuck I know but nothing I can do now):

After having it off for the protection installation, how would you get screws back through the clear bra to mount the bracket back on?

I'd be worried it could hurt the surrounding area or something putting screws through it?
Easy, when they install it, they should have the holes cut already. I know on my install they had holes already in the pattern for sensors, holes, wipers, etc.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300 SPORT (white)
Originally Posted by mac911
I'm looking for some sources where I could order a clear bra for the nose of my car and attempt to install it myself.

In particular, I remember someone posting the installation of a clear bra done at their dealership, and it was in *several pieces.* Here we thought it didn't provide as much coverage, but I liked the idea in that I would be able to better install several pieces and a little protection is better than none.

Anyone have any idea where to find that particular one?

If not, I welcome being pointed in any direction towards these. Thanks so much. I hate seeing my front end add 1-2 of these small annoying nicks every couple weeks. I think I primarily just want it for the bumper itself and maybe the lights, but I know the light ones are easy to find by themselves.

www.lamin-x.com

pre-cut for the C300/C350
Old 10-07-2008, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bigben320e
Easy, when they install it, they should have the holes cut already. I know on my install they had holes already in the pattern for sensors, holes, wipers, etc.
Yes, sensors, wiper washers, etc. are in the pre-cut pattern, but not license plate bolt holes, since not all cars have plates. I think I'll write one of the companies that sell them, to see what they say.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cut Xs and just press the bolts through. Trim where necessary. It works. Good luck.