C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

VIM/Backup Cam Mid City

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c350 (soon)
VIM/Backup Cam Mid City

Hey everyone. I am going to order this but I need some suggestions on who should install it for me.

Should I just see if a Benz dealership will do it for me in my area? Anyone know of one that will in Northern NJ?

I really dont want to bring it to one of these shops where they will scratch it up and swear it was there already. Had that happen to my bro-in-law's new Denali.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Almost a Member!

C350 black/black
hey,
How is the car? I am still enjoying mine
anyway, how much did u get vim/cam for?

Originally Posted by Magic9669
Hey everyone. I am going to order this but I need some suggestions on who should install it for me.

Should I just see if a Benz dealership will do it for me in my area? Anyone know of one that will in Northern NJ?

I really dont want to bring it to one of these shops where they will scratch it up and swear it was there already. Had that happen to my bro-in-law's new Denali.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-07-2008, 03:47 PM

c350 (soon)
Hey whats up Cu. I am awaiting a price from Mid City. How much can i expect to pay? I would have done the group buy thing but that seemed to die out. I just want a reputable person to install this for me, preferably Mercedes.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:47 PM

c350 (soon)
Oh by the way the car is fantastic. I cant wait to put a light tint on it!
Old 10-07-2008, 03:58 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
08 C300
hm... i don't think any MB dealer is willing to install aftermarket stuff onto the car.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:01 PM
Almost a Member!

C350 black/black
that's good, post some pic after u get it tint
Originally Posted by Magic9669
Oh by the way the car is fantastic. I cant wait to put a light tint on it!
Old 10-07-2008, 11:48 PM
Almost a Member!

C350 black/black
I want to get them too, I could not find any1 in tampa do install that has experience installing them
Old 10-08-2008, 02:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 C200 AMG line, '08 C300 Sport Avantgarde, '07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd, '02 CLK 200 (gone)
Does anybody know how much the VIM module costs?
Old 10-08-2008, 12:23 PM

c350 (soon)
No clue. I wrote them an email they never responded.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:04 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
08 C300
i believe it's around $700 in total (rear-view camera + VIM).
of course, that's only parts price.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:38 PM

08-C350 black/black
quoted back on 5/27....$1050 free shipping...for VIM, back-up camera, and V1cluster display...
Old 10-08-2008, 10:30 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Back up camera kit

Originally Posted by white46
i believe it's around $700 in total (rear-view camera + VIM).
of course, that's only parts price.
I paid $750 US plus $10 shipping. Canada will be higher.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:47 PM

2009 C300 Sport 4Matic, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
Cost of the kit and installation will be over $1,200. Is that really worth it to see behind you for the 2 seconds you back up every day and to watch a movie on the random roadtrip? I mean I don't drive my car for more than an hour at a time, and that's when I actually have time to listen to music. It just seems like there are so many things you could do with that money that would be more useful. Sorry, going off topic....
Old 10-08-2008, 11:03 PM

2000 CLK430 Cab - sold; 2009 C350 White with Mocha P2,MM,18" AMG,Pano roof
Mid City never answered my e-mail either. Bad form.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:51 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
sorry about the emails guys, our ISP just switched our email system on us from our nice old ultra-reliable system to a new one and it has taken a few days for them to get everything straightend out. I apologize for that.

Anyway the pricing on the entire camera kit is $750... That gets you the vim, camera programmer, camera, wiring, and all connectors. If you just want the VIM module we have been running a special for a while now where you can get the vim module only for $350.

We are still working on a special price for the whole camera kit as a group buy but it hinges on us being able to source a bulk order on the cameras to get a better price and so far we have been waiting on that price from our vendors. I will work diligently on this today and see if I can put everything together to get the group buy going.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:56 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by white46
hm... i don't think any MB dealer is willing to install aftermarket stuff onto the car.
We have some MB dealers that will do this sort of work directly. Others actually subcontract an expediter who will come and do the work on-site at the dealer. Yet other dealers are still very wary about installing any non-factory items. It really depends on your location. There are also a small number of very very good aftermarket shops that specialize in only luxury vehicles like MB that are more than qualified to do the work.

We keep a running list on hand, we can always find you a qualified installer in your area to do the work...
Old 10-09-2008, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by rob13572468
sorry about the emails guys, our ISP just switched our email system on us from our nice old ultra-reliable system to a new one and it has taken a few days for them to get everything straightend out. I apologize for that.

Anyway the pricing on the entire camera kit is $750... That gets you the vim, camera programmer, camera, wiring, and all connectors. If you just want the VIM module we have been running a special for a while now where you can get the vim module only for $350.

We are still working on a special price for the whole camera kit as a group buy but it hinges on us being able to source a bulk order on the cameras to get a better price and so far we have been waiting on that price from our vendors. I will work diligently on this today and see if I can put everything together to get the group buy going.

What is the price for the backup camera stuff only? I already have the VIM and interested in getting the backup camera option.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:59 AM

2009 C300 Sport 4Matic, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
How much is installation, for those of us who are not DIY-saavy....
Old 10-09-2008, 01:44 PM
Almost a Member!

C350 black/black
We have some MB dealers that will do this sort of work directly. Others actually subcontract an expediter who will come and do the work on-site at the dealer. Yet other dealers are still very wary about installing any non-factory items. It really depends on your location. There are also a small number of very very good aftermarket shops that specialize in only luxury vehicles like MB that are more than qualified to do the work.

We keep a running list on hand, we can always find you a qualified installer in your area to do the work...

DO you know any dealer/anyone in tampa bay/florida that can install this kit?
Old 10-12-2008, 12:22 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Installed but DOA

I have spent more time than I care to admit installing the camera kit and the bleeding thing doesn't operate. I have verified all connections, front and rear plus checking that battery voltage and ground are present on the connectors to the backup lights (when on) and have verified that the camera is enabled on the engine menu. Further, just in case, I have made full use of my four letter word vocabulary, all to no avail.

Since I ran the RCA cable (from Radio Shack) under the door sills, I also unearthed the back end of it (half way up the rear seat under the door welting) where it connects to the too-short RCA cable from the camera to be sure it was still plugged together (it was) so have run out of ideas.

I have also spent considerable time and skin attempting to reinsert the radio box in it's hole while trying to move aside (or down) the module and the external plug on the T-harness. Just when I think I have it out of the way and start to reinsert the radio unit, up they jump to block the way.

The instructions say that this may be "difficult" which is hardly the word. Perhaps "sanity test" would be closer to it.

I have to congratulate those who have successfully completed this project but I notice that the details of the button-up have been omitted.

I shall be calling Mid-City next week for some hand-holding.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'08 W204.081; M 272.948 KE30; Colour Code#792
Wow... had no idea you're having such a tough time with this kit.

I managed to place the [factory plug + female end of T-Harness] as far down and back of the hole on the driver's side. Module was tucked in at the bottom center of hole. A little wiggling and the COMAND unit fit. The limiting step for me was with the harness, and not the module. If it's of any consolation, it took me a long time to figure this out, and was at the point of defeat when I had the upper hand.

Since I'm not an electrician, I cannot offer any help on your camera. One possibility could be that the camera is defective. The only way to find out is to plug your composite (RCA) cable to another video source (like a laptop).

Total time for me to install this VIM + Camera was about 8 hours (off & on). Literally half of that time was spent admiring the friggin car - damn, it's beautiful, even after 9 months of ownership. I also spent a lot of time with the harness. The rest went quite problem-free.

Having done this once, I could probably do this again in under 3.5 hours.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:50 AM

2000 CLK430 Cab - sold; 2009 C350 White with Mocha P2,MM,18" AMG,Pano roof
Originally Posted by RLE
I have verified all connections, front and rear plus checking that battery voltage and ground are present on the connectors to the backup lights (when on) and have verified that the camera is enabled on the engine menu.
Do you get a blank screen or does nothing happen when you put the car in Reverse? A bad camera wouldn't stop the VIM from doing the video switchover I would think.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:32 AM

2008 c350 SG - 2004 c240 Wagon BS
Just a thought...

Did you try 'dry-fitting' the camera before the full install to make sure it works?

Maybe it's just me but I always hook stuff up in a big mess all over the place to make sure everything is working functionally and play with it a while before the actual install. It helps identify potential problems or missing parts.

I know it takes longer but the tinkerer in me can never wait to see what the results will be.

I hope it all works out well for you.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:08 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by RLE
I have spent more time than I care to admit installing the camera kit and the bleeding thing doesn't operate. I have verified all connections, front and rear plus checking that battery voltage and ground are present on the connectors to the backup lights (when on) and have verified that the camera is enabled on the engine menu. Further, just in case, I have made full use of my four letter word vocabulary, all to no avail.

Since I ran the RCA cable (from Radio Shack) under the door sills, I also unearthed the back end of it (half way up the rear seat under the door welting) where it connects to the too-short RCA cable from the camera to be sure it was still plugged together (it was) so have run out of ideas.

I have also spent considerable time and skin attempting to reinsert the radio box in it's hole while trying to move aside (or down) the module and the external plug on the T-harness. Just when I think I have it out of the way and start to reinsert the radio unit, up they jump to block the way.

The instructions say that this may be "difficult" which is hardly the word. Perhaps "sanity test" would be closer to it.

I have to congratulate those who have successfully completed this project but I notice that the details of the button-up have been omitted.

I shall be calling Mid-City next week for some hand-holding.
not to worry, i'll help you through it.. i understand that it can get frustrating sometimes.. i get the same way.

anyway, the first thing to check is the RCA adapter at the back of the command. make sure that its pressed all the way into the green connector if it isnt the center contact wont reach and you will not get video. aside from that check that the camera 3 pine connector has not come loose. The cameras are very reliable and i have never had one go bad so i doubt its the camera, just recheck the connections and post back. give us a call anytime during the day if you have nay other questions. we'll get you fixed up.

oh and btw, i agree with you 100% on the part about getting the radio back into the dash. I dont know what MB was thinking when they designed the radio cavity but it was probably somthing along the lines of "lets screw with anyone who ever has to do work behind the radio"... just remember we do these cameras all the time so how ever many cuts you have on you hands ive got more
Old 10-12-2008, 11:52 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Test before installing

Originally Posted by wblynch
Just a thought...

Did you try 'dry-fitting' the camera before the full install to make sure it works?

Maybe it's just me but I always hook stuff up in a big mess all over the place to make sure everything is working functionally and play with it a while before the actual install. It helps identify potential problems or missing parts.

I know it takes longer but the tinkerer in me can never wait to see what the results will be.

I hope it all works out well for you.
That's an excellent idea but it would mean pulling out the center vents and radio first instead of last and after examining the zero clearance fit of the vent assembly and finding that inserting even a credit card in the slot between the vent and dashboard was very difficult, I decided to find out how the dealer would remove the vent and in the end I asked them to do it. The tech simply removed the two little rubber bumpers that the upper lid rests on, revealing two slots. Using two of the MB tools used for pulling instrument clusters and radios, he inserted them in the slots and released the catches and out it popped. It just so happens that I have two of these tools so could have done it myself, had I known. At the same time, he also cancelled the annoying A-Service reminder I've been ignoring and I palmed him a twenty for his time. A bargain.

Before I reassemble the dash for the last time, I'll take a photo of the tools and where they are used and post it. I hoping that's this week unless something ends up being defective whereupon I will continue to drive the car with the radio hanging out an inch.

The tool is nothing more than a T-handle with a length of very stiff wire sticking out of it, bent to a very sharp 90 deg angle at the end, with the bent end being about 3/8 in long.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: VIM/Backup Cam Mid City