C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

I am not a happy camper.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Angry I am not a happy camper.

Yesterday our office buildings roof was sprayed with some sort of foam insulation. Most of the parking lot was roped off but there was still spots open so I took one. BTW I had no idea they were going to do this. When I got in the car to go home I noticed some white dots on my windshield and used the wipers to try and clean them off. No good it sounded like the wipers were going through sand.
I got concerned to say the least and after picking up my Wife I headed home so I could inspect the paint. Have you ever noticed that whenever you are in a rush to get somewhere there is an unusual amount of traffic? Well that was yesterday bad traffic all the way home and to make matters worse it looked like rain any minute.
As soon as I got home I broke out the hose, buckets, car wash and microfiber mits. I scrubbed the whole car down but it was getting DARK and I could barely see what I was doing. Yes I have a garage but I can't put a car in it because of the big workbench that takes up half of the space. Looking at the car it seems as if there is no spots and the windows are clean so I am happy.
This morning the car is covered in dew and it was morning so the usual mad rush out the door. Lunch comes and now I can look at the car in sunlight and what do I see? Tiny white dots all over the car. I went to the contractor and he claims it is my problem they had the receptionist make an announcement that everyone should move their cars from the front of the building well I was on the side but that doesn't matter to him. The company I work for owns the building but I don't feel they should be responsible for it the contractor should be.
I'm going to try some prewax cleaner when I get home tonight hopefully before dark and if that gets it off I will be spending next weekend taking the old wax off (just put it on two weekends ago) and rewaxing, I may have to claybar it something I have never done before. Sorry just had to rant.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Merc C300 sport, arctic white, P1, MM/Navi, iPod kit, 20% Tint, C63 Grill, X-Pipe, HID DDM Kit
Damn Ron that sucks bro, poor Darth!!!!

id that contractor, he shouldve known his material a little better, and at least have a little courtesy to check his workspace.....

but isnt that the reason contractors have insurance? you should look into his insurance company and see if they can help you out. if not youll have to go thru your insurance broker to have it done then theyll go after his.....right?
Old 10-15-2008, 02:13 PM

2011 E350 4matic
yeah i would be more than a little heated too, do you know what exactly they were spraying? were there any signs or emails or just the taped off area?? i would use a clay bar for sure and use the blue dawn to wash beforehand to remove the old wax.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:17 PM

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
2022 GLE450
clay is the best in this situation, you will have to re-wax the car
Old 10-15-2008, 02:40 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
this is when lawyers come in handy! nothing makes companies pay up like the threat of a lawsuit
Old 10-15-2008, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well I just took the CEO of my company out and showed him the car. He is going to have a chat with the contractor for me and it seems that it isn't foam it is a rubber coating that goes over the foam they sprayed on Monday when no one was at the office. It does come off with a rub from the fingertip I am going to try and see if I can clean a small section then I'll take care of it myself. It sucks that I will be in NJ this weekend so it will have to wait till next week. The CEO is a car guy so I have his total sympathy He drives a S550 as his daily driver then he has a fairly recent 911 convertable (Can never remember the numbers) and a Bently Arnage, which he let me drive once.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:51 PM

2008 c350 SG - 2004 c240 Wagon BS
Clay, Clay, Clay

Just like Hutch300 mentioned above. It is your fastest, easiest and lowest risk solution.

Don't aimlessly start scrubbing the paint, you might cause even more damage.

If you're not sure, then get a professional detailer to do it for you. Even spending $150 will be better than damaging the paint.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
'06 E55, W204 C350, '04 Carrera C4S, '02 ML55 (Wife's)
That REALLY Sucks!!!

Hope your CEO can help you..... I would get it professionally done paid for by the contractor, so you can assure it gets done and if they damage it they pay for it to make it right!
If you don’t get resolved through that avenue I would suggest Better Business Bureau (BBB).

GOOD LUCK and hope it turns out!
Old 10-15-2008, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
I had something similar happen to me at a hotel once. There was a company there paving the parking lot and they sprayed my car with sealant over spray. I called the hotel informed them what had happened and they covered the cost to get my car buffed out. Didn't even have to threaten them or anything, guess it came off their property insurance. If not the company that was doing the insulation would most certainly have insurance for such a thing, just might have to fight them.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:59 PM

2011 BMW 335xi titanium silver.
It's good to rant.... and it won't hurt to get the contractor's insurance company. In the meantime, maybe try the claybar.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Take some pics before you try anything. You never know if there will be damage later. Call a lawyer, get witnesses, document all of your conversations with anyone involved. The CEO is on your side. That's a plus. If the contractor said it's your problem, make him eat his words. If he failed to take necessary precautions, I would think he is responsible. Also, remember, insurance companies will do whatever they can to avoid paying claims.

I was given the run-around by one. A few years ago a metal-framed screen from a window in a guard shack fell out and hit my car when the guard opened it. It left a little scratch. I got out, asked the guard her name and what company she worked for. I called the company the next day and was referred to the property owner who then referred me to their insurance company. I was told, because the window had never fallen out before, I was out of luck. Well...it just so happened, I previously befriended a former guard. I asked him if the screen had ever fallen out. He told me it had many times. He also agreed to testify if it came to that. Presented with this information, the insurance company cut me a check the same day I gave them the repair estimate. (sorry for the rant)
Old 10-15-2008, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 Color: 090 / 1999 Honda Civic EX / 2003 Acura TL
sorry to hear about your car Ron, hey it is good to rant.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63
This exact thing happened to me a few years back. Nothing would get those things off for me. It was like it was bonded to the paint. Luckily, it was just on the hood and front fenders.

As usual, they denied and denied. I played the nice guy with a few phone calls, a letter, and still no action.

Eventually, I filed a small claims suit. Very cheap and inexpensive to do. As soon as they were served papers, I got a call from them to settle at the dealer quote.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
its either clay, or an orbital buffer with something like Menzerna.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:47 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Airborne stuff

Originally Posted by Ron Jr
Yesterday our office buildings roof was sprayed with some sort of foam insulation. Most of the parking lot was roped off but there was still spots open so I took one. BTW I had no idea they were going to do this. When I got in the car to go home I noticed some white dots on my windshield and used the wipers to try and clean them off. No good it sounded like the wipers were going through sand.
I got concerned to say the least and after picking up my Wife I headed home so I could inspect the paint. Have you ever noticed that whenever you are in a rush to get somewhere there is an unusual amount of traffic? Well that was yesterday bad traffic all the way home and to make matters worse it looked like rain any minute.
As soon as I got home I broke out the hose, buckets, car wash and microfiber mits. I scrubbed the whole car down but it was getting DARK and I could barely see what I was doing. Yes I have a garage but I can't put a car in it because of the big workbench that takes up half of the space. Looking at the car it seems as if there is no spots and the windows are clean so I am happy.
This morning the car is covered in dew and it was morning so the usual mad rush out the door. Lunch comes and now I can look at the car in sunlight and what do I see? Tiny white dots all over the car. I went to the contractor and he claims it is my problem they had the receptionist make an announcement that everyone should move their cars from the front of the building well I was on the side but that doesn't matter to him. The company I work for owns the building but I don't feel they should be responsible for it the contractor should be.
I'm going to try some prewax cleaner when I get home tonight hopefully before dark and if that gets it off I will be spending next weekend taking the old wax off (just put it on two weekends ago) and rewaxing, I may have to claybar it something I have never done before. Sorry just had to rant.
The contractor is liable and should be insured for everything. But, he was hired by the building owner who is the one to go after them.

This sort of thing is far from new and the contractor is just trying to blow you off.

Further, whoever was applying the material should have surveyed the area before beginning to be sure it was clear of vehicles.

Your comprehensive insurance covers this sort of thing and they will then subrogate the claim against the contractor.

IT IS NOT YOUR JOB TO REMOVE THE CONTAMINANT AND YOU SHOULDN'T BE SCREWING WITH IT.

If you want to so something, take the car to a detail shop and ask them to remove the material.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well Darth is going to the dealer to get detailed tomorrow AM. I called to find out who they recommend and of course the cost and was happy to find out that the detailer they use is the same one I was planning on going to. It costs a little more but I will be getting a loaner so I won't have to get rides both ways. The CEO said he will make sure I am taken care of but I just can't wait everytime I see the spots I just imagine them baking into the paint, even though I have a good coat of wax on I still am worried.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:48 PM

2014 Mercedes C250 Coupe, 1998 SL 600 sport
Originally Posted by Ron Jr
even though I have a good coat of wax on I still am worried.
Ron,
I'm real sorry to hear about this. But that recient coat of wax will have protected your paint. I'm sure it will come out just fine. Keep us posted. Full Detail at Massapequa is $250 no?
Rick
Old 10-16-2008, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RickP330
Ron,
I'm real sorry to hear about this. But that recient coat of wax will have protected your paint. I'm sure it will come out just fine. Keep us posted. Full Detail at Massapequa is $250 no?
Rick
You got it 250.00 with a loaner car I know the place that supplies the detailer and to go direct was only about 25.00 cheaper but then I would have to get a ride to work then back to the detailer when it was done. Also they had no bay open for tomorrow. This way no hassles to anyone but me.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350 4Matic
Dont worry too much about your car. You had waxed it two weeks ago, so your car was protected, Now its just a matter of taking that layer off. Clay is a very safe way to clean your paint. Your must use a lubericant as you clay. IF you buy a clay kit, it will come with a lube. Shes gona be OK.
Taking it to a dealer is always a good way to go it you are concered. Ya you pay more but it will be done and they are also more diligent.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:28 PM

C300 MT, 350Z
sorry to hear bro.. full detail!
Old 10-17-2008, 09:38 AM

2014 Mercedes C250 Coupe, 1998 SL 600 sport
Full detail is always awesome. Enjoy it bro!
RP
Old 10-17-2008, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dropped it off this morning and my SA loved all of the mods on Darth (he even said Mods). While writing it up he told me that the full detail was going on sale next week, I figured well that's my luck then he said he overrode the price so I could get it today not really a concern as I will be getting it back. So 199.99 + tax is less than the shop I would normally go to and I got a 08 c300 sport silver with pano, p1 and MM as a loner (only 451 miles).
Old 10-17-2008, 11:15 AM

2008 C300
Sorry to hear about your trouble Ron, I would be pretty mad too. Have the dealer create an invoice for the full $250 and hand that over to the contractor. That way...you get your car detailed and MAKE $50 for your troubles. You might as well get SOMETHING for the hassle.

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:59 PM

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
2022 GLE450
Originally Posted by Hazemonster
Sorry to hear about your trouble Ron, I would be pretty mad too. Have the dealer create an invoice for the full $250 and hand that over to the contractor. That way...you get your car detailed and MAKE $50 for your troubles. You might as well get SOMETHING for the hassle.

Let us know how it turns out.
i think thats taking advatage, he should pay for the mistake, but taking extra money seems like bad karma to me, imo at least
Old 10-17-2008, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hutch300
i think thats taking advatage, he should pay for the mistake, but taking extra money seems like bad karma to me, imo at least
Agree, I found out the first person I talked to was just a foreman and I talked to the owner of the roofing company today. He said no problem just submit the bill and he would take care of me.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I am not a happy camper.