C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

My first "adventure" with dealer service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
My first "adventure" with dealer service

Took my C in for service early Monday morning with a small list of issues to address.
1) Replace rear lock pins
2) Check shift quality
3) Stop "squeak" when cold and shifting into 5th and 6th.
4) Repair knocking/popping sound in front end when backing with wheels turned.
5) 1K-3K service
6) check for stored codes from CEL. On for almost a week then going off

First off, the guy acted like this was the first 2008 C Class he had seen with any problems?? He had no idea about the rear pin redesign and didn't seem to want to believe me about them. Anyhow, he calls me to say the 1K-3K service went well with no stored codes. The rear pins were replaced, but they couldn't duplicate anything else. I was totally pissed and said no freakin way, you need to fix my car. They said they would keep it over night and try to replicate the problems when cold.
Sure enough, next day they end up replacing both lower ball joints and thrust arms...can't completely remember all the pieces but there were many. They also had to lube up the shift boot to remedy the squeak...but still nothing they can do for shift quality. They decided to keep it another night to check the issues again cold this morning. They called and said everythings good and ready to go.
Go to pick up the car and after the walk around, jump in to drive home. The first time I touch the shift knob, I am thinking "what the H$ll" the shift knob is not even attached to the shift lever underneath....the whole damn thing just lifts right up....this is when I notice that the entire shift assembly looks a little skewed in the console/tunnel....which is why the rubber boot is rubbing on the right hand side gears(5&6) and not the left(R). Anyhow I am furious they are giving me my car back like this. For some reason, they cant get the boot/shifter to lock back into place and now I am back in a loaner until Saturday waiting for a new shifter....good grief. I am really pushing for them to do something about the alignment of the whole thing as it is obiviously screwed up...easy to see with the entire boot coming off in my hand.

Couple interesting things- I had a 2009 automatic loaner early this week and liked the transmission. The 2008 I got today was nice but the trans is definitely slower...would recommend the new shift algorithms to be downloaded for sure. What really sucks is that the black car earlier this week was nice but I really like the white one they gave me today....maybe even more than my silver...crap!

Last edited by C300Sport; 11-26-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
oh man.

This is an issue with alot of dealer repairs - the techs are only trained or have experience with routine jobs, and when you bring them something "unique", they don't actually know what to do. They had probably never worked on a manual shifter in one of these cars before.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by nyca
oh man.

This is an issue with alot of dealer repairs - the techs are only trained or have experience with routine jobs, and when you bring them something "unique", they don't actually know what to do. They had probably never worked on a manual shifter in one of these cars before.
Very true...there were several comments about this being the first manual they had seen...not a real confidence builder...
Old 11-26-2008, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
To be fair all MB techs have to go through schooling and testing before they allow them to work in any vehicle. Also there aren't very many manual transmission C class cars sold, so they aren't going to get a lot of them in for repairs. Might do some checking, could turn out yours is the only one they even service, although the previous C class and SLK came with optional manual transmissions, so they should at least be familiar with them.

That all told, I would be really angry if someone tried pulling your situation on me. I would go as far as calling up MB and logging a complaint, how someone would miss such an obvious defect before returning it to a customer is beyond me. The service tech had to have driven it to make sure it was functioning correctly after the work was completed and at least one service bay attendant would have driven it to move it around and no one said anything? Just goes to show all service centers aren't alike, might think about finding a new one.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c32amg,c240
Originally Posted by C300Sport
Very true...there were several comments about this being the first manual they had seen...not a real confidence builder...
You're absolutely right about that this does not bode well with mercedes if they keep that up. Thats why I picked the auto over the manual c300, because I knew something like this was going to happen.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 181 Likes on 147 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Took my C in for service early Monday morning with a small list of issues to address.
1) Replace rear lock pins
2) Check shift quality
3) Stop "squeak" when cold and shifting into 5th and 6th.
4) Repair knocking/popping sound in front end when backing with wheels turned.
5) 1K-3K service
6) check for stored codes from CEL. On for almost a week then going off

First off, the guy acted like this was the first 2008 C Class he had seen with any problems?? He had no idea about the rear pin redesign and didn't seem to want to believe me about them. Anyhow, he calls me to say the 1K-3K service went well with no stored codes. The rear pins were replaced, but they couldn't duplicate anything else. I was totally pissed and said no freakin way, you need to fix my car. They said they would keep it over night and try to replicate the problems when cold.
Sure enough, next day they end up replacing both lower ball joints and thrust arms...can't completely remember all the pieces but there were many. They also had to lube up the shift boot to remedy the squeak...but still nothing they can do for shift quality. They decided to keep it another night to check the issues again cold this morning. They called and said everythings good and ready to go.
Go to pick up the car and after the walk around, jump in to drive home. The first time I touch the shift knob, I am thinking "what the H$ll" the shift knob is not even attached to the shift lever underneath....the whole damn thing just lifts right up....this is when I notice that the entire shift assembly looks a little skewed in the console/tunnel....which is why the rubber boot is rubbing on the right hand side gears(5&6) and not the left(R). Anyhow I am furious they are giving me my car back like this. For some reason, they cant get the boot/shifter to lock back into place and now I am back in a loaner until Saturday waiting for a new shifter....good grief. I am really pushing for them to do something about the alignment of the whole thing as it is obiviously screwed up...easy to see with the entire boot coming off in my hand.

Couple interesting things- I had a 2009 automatic loaner early this week and liked the transmission. The 2008 I got today was nice but the trans is definitely slower...would recommend the new shift algorithms to be downloaded for sure. What really sucks is that the black car earlier this week was nice but I really like the white one they gave me today....maybe even more than my silver...crap!
+1 regarding loading the latest tranny software
Old 12-02-2008, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well after waiting for several days for my new shift boot to arrive from Germany, I finally picked my car up. I did a thorough walk around and everything finally seemed to be in order. I jumped in and had just gotten off the lot when I noticed something on my steering wheel. To my dismay, there were several scratches and one deep grove cut into the leather. Totally pissed, yet again, I went back and asked for the manager.
Needless to say they bent over backwards to make things right. Luckily the steering wheels are all the same (manual vs automatic) so they had one in stock and put it on within a half hour.
I bought my car from this dealer but I actually have a dealer a few miles closer.(4 miles vs 8 miles) I have thought about trying the other dealer due to my issues with the first visit. Do you guys think this sounds like an overall bad shop or just some bad luck??
Edit- Also, I had complained about my shift quality getting pretty clunky durning the first couple months. They said there was really nothing they could adjust but after changing the boot cover, "waxing the rubber boot" and inspecting and lubing the linkages, she shifts a lot smoother now. Not sure what to credit for it, but I will take it.

Last edited by C300Sport; 12-02-2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:35 AM

'14 GLK250 Diesel
Probably the linkage accounts for the improvement.

Anyone lucky enough to live in a market with actual competitive MB dealers should try others if the selling dealer's service disappoints.

At the same time, I'd advise a sit-down with both the service manager and general manager of the dealer where you bought the car [and had the problems] to let them know what you think, feel, and ask them why you should keep coming back to them. Then decide.

Last edited by jrct9454; 12-04-2008 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 S430, 2004 Cobra, 2004 Tahoe
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
+1 regarding loading the latest tranny software

It's a manual, I doubt there is any tranny software

Sorry to hear about how you were treated on the service side. Dealerships as a whole should understand that the service department keeps bringing customer's back. Hope your next visit is better, should you choose them again.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:04 AM

C-300, XC70, Wrangler
I noticed something on my steering wheel. To my dismay, there were several scratches and one deep grove cut into the leather.
I've also noticed that the leather on the steering wheel is rather fragile. I "scratched" it with a fingernail one morning, and for a while I thought I'd made a deep cut. I managed to smooth it out by rubbing and massaging it for a while and it's no longer noticeable.

I wonder how thin that leather really is? My Volvo's leather wheel has a much heavier/thicker feel (and it's also scratched deeply, but I think my wife did that!).
Old 12-03-2008, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My Millenia's steering wheel went 8 years and looked new the day I traded it. I will keep this one clean and well lubed so I hope it fares just as well. Only time will tell I suppose...
Old 12-03-2008, 01:01 PM

E63
You must be living in the North Atlanta area and deciding between RBM, Buckhead, or Atlanta Classic. I have experience with all of them. IMO Buckhead was the lesser of all evils overall with RBM being best in service. Sales at RBM is a joke, they said we don't want to waste your time when I was looking to purchase the CLK63 so I went to Buckhead, ordered it and drove it by RBM to let them know how much time I wasted in Buckhead.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tpick23
You must be living in the North Atlanta area and deciding between RBM, Buckhead, or Atlanta Classic. I have experience with all of them. IMO Buckhead was the lesser of all evils overall with RBM being best in service. Sales at RBM is a joke, they said we don't want to waste your time when I was looking to purchase the CLK63 so I went to Buckhead, ordered it and drove it by RBM to let them know how much time I wasted in Buckhead.
Yeah, live just north of Buckhead but bought from RBM as they were more willing to drop the price. The service debacle was at RBM where they have won many MB USA awards...guess I may give them another chance...
Old 12-03-2008, 01:30 PM

E63
I used to live at Glenridge Connector and Peachtree-Dunwoody intersection just off 400.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, there seems to be thousands of 3-Series running around that area(due to Global BMW) but not too many C Class. I kinda like that...lol
Old 12-05-2008, 02:05 AM

'15 C200 AMG line, '08 C300 Sport Avantgarde, '07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd, '02 CLK 200 (gone)
Originally Posted by Blk04cobra1
Dealerships as a whole should understand that the service department keeps bringing customer's back.
+1 on that. That's precisely why we bought our '08 C300S from the same dealership / salesman that we bought our '02 CLK 200 from. They treat us well and with respect. They've even fixed this or that small thing without charging anything at all when the car was in for regular service.

It's worthwhile to find a dealer you can trust and who treats you well.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C250 sport
Did the new thrust arms/ball joints help the steering popping?
Old 12-05-2008, 03:29 AM

C300 Sport
I just had my black on black '08 C300Sport re-flashed both engine and tranny...
I must admit that the car definitely feels livelier and smoother and the "lag" is far less then it had been. A marked improvement to be sure...
Also had the iPod amp installed...WAAAAAAY better sounding...

Dealer was great...They didn't know about the software update for the tranny until I told them...they checked and said there was an engine update as well so they downloaded and installed both...
My C300Sport is a March '08 build and it needed the reflash so if you have one built before then you probably need it as well...

Overall the dealership experience was excellent as they addressed everything I had asked them to under warranty. I even got a Mars Red C300 Sport as a loner...Looks great in red...

Luckily for me my SA used to be the service manager where I bought my Lexus cars and had them serviced. He told me that MB is not quite up to the level of service of Lexus but they are getting there...

As a longtime Lexus owner and one who was truly spoiled by their outstanding commitment to the best customer service possible I have to say MBUSA is definitely getting there...at least at this dealership in Carlsbad, California...
Old 12-05-2008, 04:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Mercedes C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by C300PO
I just had my black on black '08 C300Sport re-flashed both engine and tranny...
I must admit that the car definitely feels livelier and smoother and the "lag" is far less then it had been. A marked improvement to be sure...
Also had the iPod amp installed...WAAAAAAY better sounding...

Dealer was great...They didn't know about the software update for the tranny until I told them...they checked and said there was an engine update as well so they downloaded and installed both...
My C300Sport is a March '08 build and it needed the reflash so if you have one built before then you probably need it as well...

Overall the dealership experience was excellent as they addressed everything I had asked them to under warranty. I even got a Mars Red C300 Sport as a loner...Looks great in red...

Luckily for me my SA used to be the service manager where I bought my Lexus cars and had them serviced. He told me that MB is not quite up to the level of service of Lexus but they are getting there...

As a longtime Lexus owner and one who was truly spoiled by their outstanding commitment to the best customer service possible I have to say MBUSA is definitely getting there...at least at this dealership in Carlsbad, California...
Hey I just went last weekend and there was no tranny update available. They hooked the car up to the sds and was shown no updates available for it.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I wonder if it depends on the build date more so than simply the model year. It seems MB is not afraid to make improvements midyear.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by akbro93704
Did the new thrust arms/ball joints help the steering popping?
They Did!! Makes it a much more enjoyable ride. I think this is a widespread problem as my second loaner was popping quite loudly. My first loaner had a little "crunch" while backing but wouldn't have been bad enough to relize it needed a fix.
My car is absolutely solid while backing out of my space now and it is great!
Old 12-05-2008, 02:34 PM

C300 Sport
Originally Posted by micropower99
Hey I just went last weekend and there was no tranny update available. They hooked the car up to the sds and was shown no updates available for it.
Here is what the "invoice" says:

Customer states that transmission has a lag before downshifting or accelerating
Advise
Cause: F
271035 Autom. transm. Electronics Test Program perform
34 WM08
353 WM08

Oil level-Auto. Trans. (after leak test) check/correct VEH. W/ 722.9 transmission

540991 Control Unit - Software (after short test) Install
34 WM08

540992 Control Unit- CODE (after short test) Perform
34 WM08

540991 Control Unit - Software (after short test) Install
34 WM08

540992 Control Unit - CODE (after short test) Perform
34 WM08

271047 Adaptation Perform
34 WM08

8160 Performed DIAG trans and found all values in spec. Fluid lvl ok and adaption levels all ok. Test drove and found the car shifting properly at this time. Found new software available for the trans and the ME. Performed Flash and SCN. Performed an adaption to the trans after the repair.

Last edited by C300PO; 12-05-2008 at 02:38 PM.