C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI
Old 06-10-2015, 02:55 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY oil change, step by step, with pictures

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.27 average.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
WOW, THAT'S A LOW PRICE!

Haha, sorry, I couldn't help it. I just ordered the maximum 12 quarts and it came to a grand total of $52.01. Fantastic, made my day, thanks Jeff!
Old 12-01-2010, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by jctevere
WOW, THAT'S A LOW PRICE!

Haha, sorry, I couldn't help it. I just ordered the maximum 12 quarts and it came to a grand total of $52.01. Fantastic, made my day, thanks Jeff!

No problem bro!! Least I can do to help you out. You should do what I did and buy more!
Old 12-01-2010, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Very sneaky deal on that oil, you don't see the discount until you go to the product page. Expires at midnight, luckily my local store still had stock.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Does anyone know who else might sell the dipstick tube adapter to remove oil from the dipstick location on 4matics? I have tried Fluid Evacuators the past 2 weeks and all of my calls and emails have gone unanswered. I can't find it anywhere else. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 12-07-2010, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport
Does anyone know who else might sell the dipstick tube adapter to remove oil from the dipstick location on 4matics? I have tried Fluid Evacuators the past 2 weeks and all of my calls and emails have gone unanswered. I can't find it anywhere else. Any help would be appreciated!
jctevere: If you find another source please post it here. I am in the same boat and the only thing I need is the adapter! B service time already arrived. Does any forum member has an additional one that is willing to sell?

Last edited by lfilomeno; 12-07-2010 at 04:36 PM. Reason: error
Old 12-07-2010, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

FluidEvacuators is out of business? That would be bad, I knew I should have bought two of those adapters.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:06 AM

C300 Sport
Originally Posted by nyca
FluidEvacuators is out of business? That would be bad, I knew I should have bought two of those adapters.
I hope they are not out of business. Where does the MB dealers order theirs? In case they are out of business, can you suck up the oil by attaching the pump hose to the dipstick tube? Please advice.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think this could be something similar from another supplier:

http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool...I-ADP-MCD.html

Not sure, it doesn't give dimensions for the fittings. It's specific to the fluid evacuator they sell - but so is the other model, you just adapt your tubing to the suction side of the fitting. The key is getting the fitting with the side that fits inside the MB dip tube opening, the suction side can be put together as needed to whatever tubing your suction device uses.

There is a poster here - "kevink" I think - who figured all this out initially, the issue with the 4MATIC, diptube suction top adapter, etc. Maybe he will spot this thread and chime in.

Last edited by nyca; 12-10-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
I contacted John Dow industries who makes the adapter. The website that carries it knew nothin besides its price.

He said he is not 100% sure of fitment. But he made it for Mercedes dealerships to use and only carries one model. He said it fits almost all mercedes disptick oil tubes. Never heard any complaints.

I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and try it out.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think its a decent bet, and its on sale anyway. As long as the diptube end fitment is correct, you can work with the suction side - any good plumbing supply place will sell various size reducing union couplers to mate to whatever tube diameter your suction device comes with - I had to do that even with the fluidevacuators part.

Good luck, let us know.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 C180 9G
I just got my Pela 6000 oil extractor and did the oil change last night. Easy and no mess but takes a little bit of time (20 min.) to suck out the 6 quarts (4 cylinder engine). Still highly recommended!

Regards, l
Old 12-11-2010, 08:29 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
You don't need a wrench for the oil cap. Your hands will work, you don't want to start wrench tightening it because then you will only be abel to take if off witha wrench. If it is too hard for your hand, loosen it with an adjustable wrench or pliers or something, then just re hand tighten.

The oil filter is Mann Fleece HU718/5X. I have found this price to be pretty good, they also sell a lot fo 10 for pretty cheap too! http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...008-2010+(Mann)

Don't use M1 5w-30, some dealers just use whatever. Only use 0w-40 or 5w-40 (if you can find it where you live) that doesn't have ESP additive for diesels. Conforms to 229.5 spec, not 229.51.
Mobil 1 0W40 meets 229.5 specs.

M1 5W40 meets 229.51 and is clearly labeled "for gasoline and diesel engines." That's the one the dealers are using.

Just today I used my Topsider to pull the oil out of a friend's CLK430. He works for a local dealer and bought the 5W40 from them so it's the latest.

Yesterday I bought three cases of 0W40 from NAPA which is on sale for $5.79 per quart until the end of December.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:16 AM

C300 Sport
I think this could be something similar from another supplier:

http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool...I-ADP-MCD.html

Not sure, it doesn't give dimensions for the fittings. It's specific to the fluid evacuator they sell - but so is the other model, you just adapt your tubing to the suction side of the fitting. The key is getting the fitting with the side that fits inside the MB dip tube opening, the suction side can be put together as needed to whatever tubing your suction device uses.

There is a poster here - "kevink" I think - who figured all this out initially, the issue with the 4MATIC, diptube suction top adapter, etc. Maybe he will spot this thread and chime in.
I ordered the adapter. Once I receive it, will let you know if it fits properly.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Ok, I have some good news and I have some bad news...

The good news is that I finally got my John Dow Industries Mercedes Adapter (Merry Christmas to me). The bad news is that it won't work for my w204 c300... HOWEVER, I did have somewhat of an idiot moment, I finally opened my Mityvac 7201 I bought of amazon and I found a rubber adapter pre-fitted on the tubing that will fit snugly inside my dipstick adapter.

Here are some pictures:

This is the adapter I ordered from the second NTX tools website (not the fluid evacuators adapter). The packaging says its from John Down Industries and took me about 2 weeks to get.

DIY oil change, step by step, with pictures-img_0214.jpg

The wider part on the left is the exact same size as the dipstick adapter, so it will not go inside of the dipstuck tube, nor the outside to create suction. I suppose one could somehow tape the adapter to the dipstick and get it to work, but it is not plug and play. The smaller part fits inside the dipstick, but will not create suctions as it is too small, even with the rubber o-rings.

This second picture, however, is of the rubber end adapter that came with my mityvac tubing:

DIY oil change, step by step, with pictures-img_0215.jpg

This has three steps that get gradually wider. The first notch is small enough to fit into the big side of my adapter (which is the same size as my dipstick tube). I haven't had time to test it out as it got dark and family is arriving, but theoretically this should fit into my dipstick and suck out all the oil, eliminating the need for me to use an adapter... You can see what I am talking about in this third picture:

DIY oil change, step by step, with pictures-img_0216.jpg

I am kind of kicking myself for not just opening my Mityvac sooner as I wouldn't have bought and waited for this adapter to arrive that doesn't even work...

I will let you know what happens when I finish my oil change (hopefully by sunday). But just to clarify. This adapter DOES NOT work, unless you modify the setup.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wow, if the small end doesn't make a snug, suction capable fit inside the diptube opening, who is buying this thing from them to suck out their MB crankcase? The diptube opening is flared, so you would think that as you insert the small o-ringed end into the diptube opening, it would snug up as it bottomed out after having been inserted all the way. I don't get it.

My next change is in 2 weeks, I will measure the diameter of the fluid extractor adapter part to see how it compares.

Last edited by nyca; 12-24-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Wow, if the small end doesn't make a snug, suction capable fit inside the diptube opening, who is buying this thing from them to suck out their MB crankcase? The diptube opening is flared, so you would think that as you insert the small o-ringed end into the diptube opening, it would snug up as it bottomed out after having been inserted all the way. I don't get it.

My next change is in 2 weeks, I will measure the diameter of the fluid extractor adapter part to see how it compares.
To be honest, I haven't tried it out fully yet. I was just experimenting and figuring out what to do before the actual oil change. Perhaps by some rare stroke of luck this adapter actually will work, but I highly doubt it. If my father has some spare time today I will try and finish this. If not, looks like it will have to wait until sunday or even as far as tuesday.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just remove your dipstick and insert the adapter - if it makes a snug leakproof fit, it works (you can do the actual oil change later). If its too small and doesn't snug up, it won't work. Don't worry about the suction end - you always have to adapt that end to the suction device you are using, since this adapter is made for a particular suction pump. But you can make that connection with with those adapters you are showing that came with your suction device, or by getting the necessary reducing union couplers at any good plumbing supply place (I notice you are on LI, Ace Hardware is where I got my couplers, they have a good plumbing department). Even with the fluidevacuators part, you have to adapt the suction end as needed to whatever your particular device is, as the part is made for their specific evacuator unit.

Last edited by nyca; 12-25-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:08 AM

C300 Sport
Ok, I have some good news and I have some bad news...

The good news is that I finally got my John Dow Industries Mercedes Adapter (Merry Christmas to me). The bad news is that it won't work for my w204 c300... HOWEVER, I did have somewhat of an idiot moment, I finally opened my Mityvac 7201 I bought of amazon and I found a rubber adapter pre-fitted on the tubing that will fit snugly inside my dipstick adapter.

Here are some pictures:

This is the adapter I ordered from the second NTX tools website (not the fluid evacuators adapter). The packaging says its from John Down Industries and took me about 2 weeks to get.

The wider part on the left is the exact same size as the dipstick adapter, so it will not go inside of the dipstuck tube, nor the outside to create suction. I suppose one could somehow tape the adapter to the dipstick and get it to work, but it is not plug and play. The smaller part fits inside the dipstick, but will not create suctions as it is too small, even with the rubber o-rings.

This second picture, however, is of the rubber end adapter that came with my mityvac tubing:

This has three steps that get gradually wider. The first notch is small enough to fit into the big side of my adapter (which is the same size as my dipstick tube). I haven't had time to test it out as it got dark and family is arriving, but theoretically this should fit into my dipstick and suck out all the oil, eliminating the need for me to use an adapter... You can see what I am talking about in this third picture:

I am kind of kicking myself for not just opening my Mityvac sooner as I wouldn't have bought and waited for this adapter to arrive that doesn't even work...

I will let you know what happens when I finish my oil change (hopefully by sunday). But just to clarify. This adapter DOES NOT work, unless you modify the setup.

You got yours in two weeks? Lucky you! I ordered mines on 12/13/2010 and have not received it yet! I will post results once mines arrives. So fluid evacuator are out of business?
Old 01-08-2011, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
ADAPTOR and MITYVAC Tank-Pump

Good news: FluidEvacuators is still in business with plenty of adaptors. I spoke with the owner, Kevin McMurry yesterday (note phoenix is 2hrs later than east coast time) . I called the 800 number at the top of this page, and the adaptor is shown at the bottom:

http://www.fluidevacuators.com/probe.html

I was the one that first found this place. When at the dealer for an oil change I watched the tech and asked questions. He showed me the adaptor, and I saw their brand name on the side of a drain tank. He said there was no MB part numbers .... the MB techs just order from FluidEvac's, the primary supplier to MB dealers in the US .

I've had good luck with the 7201 mityvac hand pump/evacuator, shown here:

http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_fee.asp#07201

The small end of the Adaptor is about 10mm (.39") OD, and the largest tube that came with the 7201 is .41" . So just go to pep boys and get some low pressure SAE30R7 3/8" fuel hose. Use about 3" ... Nice snug fit. Low pressure drop allows highest flow (none of the Mityvac transitions are used) .

Last edited by kevink2; 01-08-2011 at 04:00 AM.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by Pete7874
0w-40 may be slightly less thick than 5w-40 at super extreme low temps (like -20F), but at operating temps it is just as thin as 5w-40, so you would not really notice any MPG difference. Neither of the two oils is "energy conserving". As a matter of fact, it is not physically possible for an oil to be classified as "energy conserving" and meeting MB 229.5 spec at the same time.
Castrol European 0W30 comes close to EC grading, and is 229.5 certified. We have used it a few years now due to ~cold winters in delaware.

After changing to it, we saw a 2 mpg increase on the same summer trip from upper delaware to lower Virginia .... about 400 miles.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'08 C300 4Matic Sport, '02 530i
Originally Posted by kevink2
After changing to it, we saw a 2 mpg increase on the same summer trip from upper delaware to lower Virginia .... about 400 miles.
Interesting. Most people report worse MPG after switching to it because it is not an energy conserving oil - its HT/HS is much higher than most typical Xw-30 oils. What oil did you run in that car before?

I used to run this oil in my 530i for a long time with good results. Here's a UOA in case anyone is interested.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Interesting. Most people report worse MPG after switching to it because it is not an energy conserving oil - its HT/HS is much higher than most typical Xw-30 oils. What oil did you run in that car before?
I used to run this oil in my 530i for a long time with good results. Here's a UOA in case anyone is interested.
Yes, it has a high 100C viscosity rating and is ACEA3, but still an XW-30 rating.

Dealer did 1st change, and I think they used the current MB prefered 5W-40Formula M, pumped by hose from the drum to the "Adaptor" and into the dip-tube. I did the next change with 0-W40, as the Formula M is only availible in drums. The 5W-40 ESP Formula M diesel oil is available at dealers in quart containers. All other changes were with the Castrol.

The Benz is wifes car, and no amount of logic (from me) will convince her to warm up the engine before loading it, even when left out in 8 degree cloudy weather for 8 hrs. Thus my change to the 0W-30 GC.

It might not be a big deal, but I had read some posts where cars with M1 0W-40 had increased oil consumption at around 100K miles.

Last edited by kevink2; 01-08-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'08 C300 4Matic Sport, '02 530i
The Benz is wifes car, and no amount of logic (from me) will convince her to warm up the engine before loading it, even when left out in 8 degree cloudy weather for 8 hrs. .
LOL! Reminds me of someone I know in my household!

It might not be a big deal, but I had read some posts where cars with M1 0W-40 had increased oil consumption at around 100K miles.
I seriously doubt it, but in any case, we most likely will not own this car much past 100K anyway.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Here is what moofish was talking about. This is from the 2010 owner's manual:
---------------------------
So, the 4Matic has a smaller engine oil capacity but larger auto trans capacity, by about 1 qt.
..... for 2010 models.

But, if you go to the latest MB owners manual downloads, it shows 1 Q less for the 4matics for only the 2010 and 2011. But for 2008 and 2009 downloads it still shows 8.5Q's for all models:

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/class/class-C

So it also could reflect a design change in 2010. Several of us with early 4matics found that with the dealer type adaptor, ~8.5 Q's were sucked out and returned .... nyca was the most recent change.

I hope 08 and 09 4matic DIY owners carefully check oil level before change, and use either drain plug or an evacuator with the dip-tube adaptor for the job, and check amount drained and installed, and post the results here.

Last edited by kevink2; 01-09-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
..... for 2010 models.

But, if you go to the latest MB owners manual downloads, it shows 1 Q less for the 4matics for only the 2010 and 2011. But for 2008 and 2009 downloads it still shows 8.5Q's for all models:

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servic...wners_manuals:

So it also could reflect a design change in 2010. Several of us with early 4matics found that with the dealer type adaptor, ~8.5 Q's were sucked out and returned .... nyca was the most recent change.

I hope 08 and 09 4matic DIY owners carefully check oil level before change, and use either drain plug or an evacuator with the dip-tube adaptor for the job, and check amount drained and installed, and post the results here.
I just did my oil change last week. My first oil change at 10,000 miles was performed at the dealer. I checked my oil dipstick before the change, when it was warmed up the level was above the max point!

I then did my oil change and took out about 8.3 quarts (to my judgment). But this might make sense because I am pretty sure there might have been about .2 or so quarts left in the dipstick that I wasn't able to suck out. I think I should have reinstalled the oil filter before the mityvac started sucking air.

Anyway, I replaced with 7.5 qts and my new oil level is just about at the max point. Oops, I forgot to mention my car is a 2009 c300 4matic. Too bad my sister on her 2011 opted for the maintenance plan. I would have been able to see if hers has a smaller pan or something when she needs her oil done...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.27 average.

Quick Reply: DIY oil change, step by step, with pictures