C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Nitrogen for tyres...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 01:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
Also remember that a newly mounted tire is filled with non compressed air before pressurizing it with nitrogen, this means that the tire never will have 100% N, reducing the small advantages even further.

Its already stated that even nitrogen filled tires looses pressure, and as said before, how do you fill up with more nitrogen just anywhere?
Old 04-07-2009, 02:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Mercedes C300 4Matic
Honestly, I would fill up with nitrogen if they had it at every gas station or at even some. Even if I had to pay a little bit (couple bucks) I';d be fine with it. But what stops me from using it is the lack of places to get it in case I need it.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S204 C220 CDI, VW Scirocco III 1.4TSI 160
Originally Posted by RedG
You cite a article of a person that doesn't know the difference between what is printed on the tire and what the vehicle's recommended pressure is. I know you can do better than that. Though I'm sure you will say I'm a kook, and I'm discounting your stupendous discord of an argument.

Try it, I dare you.
Can you even read?? I didn't cite that article, I just quoted it to show that various people with an IQ starting at 60 see that there's NO advantage in nitrogen.

An oxygen molecule is 8 PICOMETRES, that's 8*10^(-12). OMG HUGE HOLE!?!

I usually use the latest F1 technology on my 93 Camry

Btw, I fill my tyres with N2O because it's even more badass and faster
Old 04-07-2009, 03:05 AM

C300 6speed
ya and how about you learn how to spell......tyres lol
Old 04-07-2009, 04:13 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by mikestyle
Old 04-07-2009, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by mikestyle
Tires, or tyres (in American and British English, respectively), are ring-shaped parts, either pneumatic or solid (including rubber, metals and plastic composites), that fit around wheels to protect them and enhance their function.

In Europe, we use proper English. And I already speak 4 languages lol, even if I made a spelling error so what? This thread is about nitrogen scamming.

Last edited by ctgilles; 04-07-2009 at 06:34 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Old 04-07-2009, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by C300Sport
Yeah I know, but I can get so worked up when I know I'm right. And that's 100,99% of the time
Old 04-07-2009, 12:11 PM

08' C350, Toyota Tundra
there is a difference for those cheapos who wont pay extra bucks for nitrogen prolly the same dudes riding round on stock 16's. The company I got it with guaruantees a lot of different features or they will replace ur tire/wheels.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
I'm running nitrogen in my tires and frankly I have no idea if its any better or not. I'm compulsive obsessive about tire pressure and there is no doubt that there is a difference between cold pressure vs tire pressure after I've driven a few miles. Don't be misled to believe that the tire pressure doesn't change.

One thing that did occur to me is that if air is 78% nitrogen and its the oxygen molecule that seeps out due to it being smaller, by refilling your tire wouldn't you eventually get to a higher nitrogen percentage?

Last edited by JimPap; 04-07-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Originally Posted by AsianML
The average temperature for a NASCAR tire is 200 degrees Fahrenheit and they race at speeds of up to 200 mph all day long. The same can be said for the Nissan GTR. You cannot compare nitrogen use in racing/aviation applications and passenger car applications. They just don't see the same types of conditions to be able to compare them.

I'm not saying nitrogen is a gimmick. It definitely has its merits, but you just won't see much of the bigger advantages in everyday driving.

How long does it take for an average tire to degrade to the point where it's not safe to use anymore?
That's what I concluded as well.

I also agree that its mostly a marketing tool to get customers in more often giving them an opportunity to sell tires and other products and services.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Originally Posted by nychokeyplaya35
there is a difference for those cheapos who wont pay extra bucks for nitrogen prolly the same dudes riding round on stock 16's. The company I got it with guaruantees a lot of different features or they will replace ur tire/wheels.

Cheap? try smart instead, I dont pay for something that is free.

I can live with checking my pressure 5% more often than you Nitrogen believers.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by nychokeyplaya35

P. T. Barnum??
Old 04-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Nitrogen is a huge waste of time in a road going car & can prevent the tyres from becoming warm enough for the tyre compound to provide maximum available grip. It's already damn hard to provide life. In racing it is crucial for very obvious reasons.

Spend your money on premium tyres & brakes - don't waste it on Nitrogen
Old 04-08-2009, 10:27 PM

a g
Originally Posted by vic viper
Also remember that a newly mounted tire is filled with non compressed air before pressurizing it with nitrogen, this means that the tire never will have 100% N, reducing the small advantages even further.

Its already stated that even nitrogen filled tires looses pressure, and as said before, how do you fill up with more nitrogen just anywhere?
The point of contention isn't where it is availible it is if it provides a benefit over traditionally compressed air inflated tires, and it does. Not sure how you all can read the facts I posted that corroborate it, even in the slightest, that show nitrogen leaks less than air-filled tires.

Originally Posted by ctgilles
Can you even read?? I didn't cite that article, I just quoted it to show that various people with an IQ starting at 60 see that there's NO advantage in nitrogen.
Irrelevant. The person wasn't intelligent enough to realize that there is a difference between the tires maximum inflation pressure and the vehicles recommend inflation pressure. So really, you didn't prove anything of any sort, great job puffing nothing but smoke all over the place...

An oxygen molecule is 8 PICOMETRES, that's 8*10^(-12). OMG HUGE HOLE!?!

I usually use the latest F1 technology on my 93 Camry

Btw, I fill my tyres with N2O because it's even more badass and faster
Besides your superbly subtle sarcasm...you seem to have no actual understanding that a small difference in size can lead to quite a difference in leakage. And nitrogen tire inflation has been around since the 1960s, its hardly new.

Originally Posted by ctgilles
Tires, or tyres (in American and British English, respectively), are ring-shaped parts, either pneumatic or solid (including rubber, metals and plastic composites), that fit around wheels to protect them and enhance their function.

In Europe, we use proper English. And I already speak 4 languages lol, even if I made a spelling error so what? This thread is about nitrogen scamming.
Scamming because YOU don't understand it, because YOU don't see (because you obviously have not read) anything I've posted. Because YOU obviously haven't actually ever tried using it.

Originally Posted by JimPap
That's what I concluded as well.

I also agree that its mostly a marketing tool to get customers in more often giving them an opportunity to sell tires and other products and services.
There are marketing tools that create a competitive advantage that ALSO provide a benefit for the customer to use, why shouldn't there be? If I'm in the tire business why do I want my customers doing any kind of service to their tires? Why would I want them to even rotate their tires? Why would I want them to do anything to could extend the life of anything on their car?

All those things that help the customer care for their vehicle just shorten my pocketbook, why should I promote or provide a service like nitrogen tire inflation that extends a customers tire life, causing them to buy less product from me in the long run?

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Nitrogen is a huge waste of time in a road going car & can prevent the tyres from becoming warm enough for the tyre compound to provide maximum available grip. It's already damn hard to provide life. In racing it is crucial for very obvious reasons.

Spend your money on premium tyres & brakes - don't waste it on Nitrogen
Besides spouting off about stuff you obviously have no first hand experience with, would you like to actually back up your claims, and prove it? My guess is you, nor anyone else actually will take up the challenge. But go ahead claim it doesn't work without any sort of effort on your part.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Nobody is saying that Nitrogen doesnt work, it just doesnt work good enought to be worth the effort.

Yes I have tried N, for over two years, but the differences were so small that I couldnt notice them,
There is no way in hell that you can benefit the same advantages with a road car as a race driver or an airplane or even the NASA Space Shuttle.
The only thing left is the fact that N filled tires doesnt leak as much, but as already mentioned before, the difference is so puny it is ridiculous.

You go on ahead and spend money on your bogus gas, I like many others will happily stick with free and available air.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by RedG
Besides spouting off about stuff you obviously have no first hand experience with, would you like to actually back up your claims, and prove it? My guess is you, nor anyone else actually will take up the challenge. But go ahead claim it doesn't work without any sort of effort on your part.
That's just it - none of the people in this thread need to "make any effort" to prove you wrong because your own links do it for us. The difference on a street car, even with a very aggressive driver is unnoticeable in every way. Get over it.

Assuming we believe you that the oxygen escapes first because it is smaller than nitrogen (its hardly smaller) then most of us ARE driving around with nitrogen filled tires, naturally. Every time you "top off" your tire with AIR the level of oxygen remaining in the tire must decrease. In your world the 78% nitrogen in the air probably winds up closer to 90% after a tire has been topped off a few times. So congratulations, you just proved yourself wrong on top of all the other reasoning.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Originally Posted by acr2001
...snip...

Assuming we believe you that the oxygen escapes first because it is smaller than nitrogen (its hardly smaller) then most of us ARE driving around with nitrogen filled tires, naturally. Every time you "top off" your tire with AIR the level of oxygen remaining in the tire must decrease. In your world the 78% nitrogen in the air probably winds up closer to 90% after a tire has been topped off a few times. So congratulations, you just proved yourself wrong on top of all the other reasoning.
Agreed.

There's probably more of an advantage by properly torqueing the valve stems.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:58 AM

C300 6speed
tyres......ok then i never knew were were in medieval era

anyways, it all boils down to opportunity cost...... and paying for N is definitely not worth it, PERIOD.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Technically, "tyres" is more current than "tires."
Old 04-09-2009, 02:07 AM

C300 6speed
Technically, "tyres" is more current than "tires."

says who?
Old 04-09-2009, 02:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Check Wikipedia here

http://www.google.com/search?q=tyres...x=&startPage=1
Old 04-09-2009, 02:15 AM

C300 6speed

Ok

1. its Wikipedia

2. There is no citation

3. its Wikipedia
Old 04-09-2009, 02:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
I was just thinking about the word for "tyre" (lol) in Greek. It comes out something like rothas. ....and that's as far back as I'm willing to go. Think they used tar on thos chariot wheels, though. I bet they debated the merits of tar from different sources. Maybe some had a little more nitrogen than others.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:32 AM

C300 6speed
I was just thinking about the word for "tyre" (lol) in Greek. It comes out something like rothas. ....and that's as far back as I'm willing to go. Think they used tar on thos chariot wheels, though. I bet they debated the merits of tar from different sources. Maybe some had a little more nitrogen than others.

ahahahahahahahahahaah

i bet u the tires with the nitro are still around!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen for tyres...