C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

check engine light doing houdini act

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 04:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
black c300 sport p1
check engine light doing houdini act

sup guys. my check engine light recently popped up for a day, then disappeared. my schedule has been really hectic lately so when it disappeared i let it slip to the back of my mind. 2 weeks later its back again and i'm starting to get worried. before i fork over 10 million dollars to the benz dealer here to have it looked at i'd like to know if anyone else has had similar probs or has any idea what's going on.

i'm only at 16k miles right now and i did service A in a timely manner. i doubt it can be oil since that was done with my service A at 10k or whatever it was. service B is coming up at 20k if i recall correctly.

Last edited by trial0r; 08-10-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:54 PM
QQQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MY2001 C320
Originally Posted by trial0r
sup guys. my check engine light recently popped up for a day, then disappeared. my schedule has been really hectic lately so when it disappeared i let it slip to the back of my mind. 2 weeks later its back again and i'm starting to get worried. before i fork over 10 million dollars to the benz dealer here to have it looked at i'd like to know if anyone else has had similar probs or has any idea what's going on.

i'm only at 16k miles right now and i did service A in a timely manner. i doubt it can be oil since that was done with my service A at 10k or whatever it was. service B is coming up at 20k if i recall correctly.
I guess all W204 are still under warranty so why not fix it while it is covered?
Old 08-10-2009, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Open your bonnet/hood & check your oil & coolant. Fuel cap locked ?
Old 08-10-2009, 05:12 PM

black c300 sport p1
Originally Posted by QQQ
I guess all W204 are still under warranty so why not fix it while it is covered?
just trying to get an idea of whether it is an emergency or not because like i said my schedule is insane right now and its borderline impossible for me to get it over to a dealership until the weekend.

Originally Posted by Carsy
Open your bonnet/hood & check your oil & coolant. Fuel cap locked ?
looks fine to me
Old 08-11-2009, 10:28 AM

2009 C300 SPORT
I had this problem in the past, it actually happened again to me two days ago. I believe it's an issue with your gas cap. That was the issue with mine when I took it into MB. Sometimes you just need to, unscrew the cap and put it back in tightly. Bumps and ruff roads tends to loosen it. I did that yesterday and my light was off this morning. But that's just my two cents, if it doesn't go off within a day or two after that take it in.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
I was on vacation last week and drove to Upstate NY from LI. When we were in the mountains my CEL goes on and I was very nervous we were within about a dozen miles from our hotel but a few hundred from home. I had checked before leaving and the nearest MB dealer was about 60 miles away. I didn't tell my wife as She waould also be nervous about the car. We got to the hotel and while she checked in I did a quick check of the gas and oil cap both tight. Restart the car and still there, we move the lugage into the suite and take a dip in the pool. Diner time and the CEL is still on but as we are heading back to the hotel it goes out. Fantastic the rest of the week and no CEL. We drive home Saturday and about an hour from home the CEL comes back on WTF, once again I don't tell the Wife and decide to see if it goes out by itself again. Sure enough after we get home, unpack, check mail, pet the dog, wash the car and install my new roof spoiler I have to run out for groceries and the CEL is still on. OK I'll go to the dealer on Monday, I have to pick a friend up for a BBQ at my house (as well as the beer) and on my way the CEL goes out and has been out since. I'm thinking maybe the change in altitude from sea level to the mountains?
Old 08-11-2009, 12:41 PM

C 350 Obsidian Black
If the check engine light starts flashing then the ECU is experiencing the problem as it is happenening. Most the time this means it's a serious occurance. If it just illuminates and goes out it means it saw a problem triggered the light then didn't see the problem occur again so it cleared the light. The ECU will still have the code stored. SO bring it to the dealer at your next available time to have them scan it to see what they can do.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:43 PM

black c300 sport p1
Originally Posted by Ron Jr
I was on vacation last week and drove to Upstate NY from LI. When we were in the mountains my CEL goes on and I was very nervous we were within about a dozen miles from our hotel but a few hundred from home. I had checked before leaving and the nearest MB dealer was about 60 miles away. I didn't tell my wife as She waould also be nervous about the car. We got to the hotel and while she checked in I did a quick check of the gas and oil cap both tight. Restart the car and still there, we move the lugage into the suite and take a dip in the pool. Diner time and the CEL is still on but as we are heading back to the hotel it goes out. Fantastic the rest of the week and no CEL. We drive home Saturday and about an hour from home the CEL comes back on WTF, once again I don't tell the Wife and decide to see if it goes out by itself again. Sure enough after we get home, unpack, check mail, pet the dog, wash the car and install my new roof spoiler I have to run out for groceries and the CEL is still on. OK I'll go to the dealer on Monday, I have to pick a friend up for a BBQ at my house (as well as the beer) and on my way the CEL goes out and has been out since. I'm thinking maybe the change in altitude from sea level to the mountains?
definitely altitude changes can account for it. unfortunately it's definitely not the problem in my case but i will be checking the gas cap when i leave the office today.

also @ checking for nearby shops every time you leave the city. you are one thorough dude.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
When going away I always search the area for certain things, MB dealer, Auto parts stores, Car Washs, Steak Houses, Book stores, Places that deal in Anime and Strip clubs.
Just joking about the last one.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:30 PM

01 S4 6spd-Eurotuner mar.05, 08 c300 6spd, P1-MM- 18`s, 2010 Cayenne GTS 6spd, 98 5.9 Jeep
Check engine light

Had the same problem... turned out to be the cam sensor magnets it seems to be a know issue... covered by factory warranty.