C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

sprint booster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by acr2001
You guys absolutely kill me.
There is a HUGE thread about this white paper on the W203 forum.
a LITTLE link would help.

Me and Glyn have read EVERYTHING about this. It DOES NOT improve throttle response. It amplifies it.
It multiplies or amplifies or increases the linear pedal output signal by a factor of 1.3, as shown in Fig3, labeled Sprint Booster response. In this test ( 99 SLK-230 ), the actual gain over the oem response curve peaks at about 5X, from 1/4 to 1/2 pedal travel. This is because the oem throttle response curve substancially lags the pedal position curve there, as shown in Fig1.

The time it takes for the car to respond to your throttle input is the same. I don't understand how you can disagree with those facts based on the hard data (the graphs) in the white paper.
There is NO graph in the white paper that shows car response. The author mostly discussed the effect of mashing the pedal, in which case there is no difference in car acceleration. This device will not improve 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. I think we agree there.

What does it do ... improves the throttle vs pedal response curve. Put the car on a Mustang dyno, and measure steady state power or torque at 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, or 2/3 max throttle, and the wheel power values will be much higher than w/o the booster.

From a stop, in an atx, snap throttle to any of these pedal positions, and the car will accellerate quicker with the booster.

Some like more power at lower pedal displacements, giving the feel of a higher powered car. Before DBW, GM used eccentric cam pulleys on the carbs to give the same high gain at small pedal motion, and the feel of a larger engine, but little added power was available above 70% pedal stroke, like the Booster.

I might like the fact that the Booter negates the need to use the last ~15% of pedal stroke which has high resistance to motion .... nothing spoils a nice gas pedal feel like a step function change in resistance to travel.

Also, unless the sprintbooster has been redesigned and is now forwarding the redundant throttle signals that MB designed the vehicle with, then it is also a safety concern to be using it. I have also posted about this before.
good point, email to the MFG should settle that.

For those who want to comment but still have not read this white paper allow me to post the most important part for you. This is a direct quote:

"What does this mean? Basically, the Sprint Booster makes the accelerator pedal
about 30% more sensitive. A side effect, which can readily be seen in the graphs
in Figure 3 and Figure 4, is that the accelerator pedal becomes dead beyond about
two thirds travel with Sprint Booster.
It is important to note that any accelerator signal into the ECU using a Sprint
Booster can be duplicated exactly by a driver without a Sprint Booster, merely by
pressing the accelerator pedal a greater distance.
"
All true, but substitue responsive for sensitive. In the white paper, the phrase "throttle response" is used 19 times

I would suggest the SB simply improves part throttle response.

Last edited by kevink2; 12-19-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
I realize that if I take a car, without sprintbooster, and push the throttle 1/4 of the way down, and then do the exact same thing with sprintbooster installed, that car will accelerate faster.

This is because the SB is simply telling the computer that I pushed the throttle further than I actually did. You can just press the throttle further without the SB and achieve the exact same result, with the exact same lag.

The downside to the sprint booster is that since it is "lying" about the throttle position, once you get past 70% throttle, your gas pedal isn't actually doing anything - you are already at full throttle and have a huge dead spot. What good is this? Look at this graph from the sprintbooster website SHOWING the dead area that it creates in your throttle -

The device does not reduce lag. I honestly wish there were a device this simple that could reduce the horrible lag that Mercedes engineers into their cars.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by kevink2
What does it do ... improves the throttle vs pedal response curve. Put the car on a Mustang dyno, and measure steady state power or torque at 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, or 2/3 max throttle, and the wheel power values will be much higher than w/o the booster.

From a stop, in an atx, snap throttle to any of these pedal positions, and the car will accellerate quicker with the booster.

Some like more power at lower pedal displacements, giving the feel of a higher powered car.
I completely agree with this. I just wish everyone would admit that this is all it does, amplifies the throttle but does not reduce the actual lag.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Throttle lag on these cars is created & maintained in the ECU - The only way to get rid of it is to reprofile the ECU.

All these other devices are merely signal amplifiers.

The white paper showed true lag, with or w/o Booster, as minimal ( Fig2, Fig4, and Fig5 )

Fig1 shows lag by design, as the %throttle position curve is well below the % pedal position curve. This lag in expected reponse is fixed by clever use of op-amps.

Last edited by kevink2; 12-19-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Yes - depends what is considered minimal

Experience tells me that true lag is not negligible & is programmed in - as with the TCU & many other Benz devices including the aircon.

It also tells me that that all ECUs are not set up the same dependent on market where the car is sold.

The first thing ECU tuners do in this country is delete the lag. I've sat down with a young Prof. at one of our local universities & watched him do it on a Benz V6 ECU. It is also interesting that the ECU tune on a Merc is pretty much optimised. It's difficult to improve on. You gain in some areas & loose in others. Some tunes can threaten engine longevity.

acr - I want out of this thread. It bores me to death. That's it.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
W205 C400
Ja kerel - I've played with a Sprintbooster but never a Power Throttle so I won't comment

Sorry - I can't put the kappie on the "e"
Ok be quit than otherwise we have to baklei
So dont be so befoeterd

about the kappie, in The Netherlands we dont have a kappie on the e

We also havent a deurtrekkertjie here, we call it string

Enjoy your naweek

I love those south african words...
Old 12-18-2009, 04:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 C400
So for now im done with this thread, i have told my experiences and thats it...

The power throttle is ready to order, Euro 399,00 + shipping costs
If you want to know more pm me.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by Petje
Ok be quit than otherwise we have to baklei
So dont be so befoeterd

about the kappie, in The Netherlands we dont have a kappie on the e

We also havent a deurtrekkertjie here, we call it string

Enjoy your naweek

I love those south african words...
Gesondheid

Geen bakleiery of geskreeuery of slanery/aanranding nie.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 C400
Gesondheid

Geen bakleiery of geskreeuery of slanery/aanranding nie.
Ok skoorsoeker lett it be snoesig!

i am out of here....
Old 12-19-2009, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
The downside to the sprint booster is that since it is "lying" about the throttle position, once you get past 70% throttle, your gas pedal isn't actually doing anything - you are already at full throttle and have a huge dead spot. What good is this? ..........
As I had said in prior post, only benefit of that top-end WOT flat spot would be elimination of nasty hard spot in pedal travel, I prefer linear pedal feel.

Last edited by kevink2; 12-19-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Throttle lag on these cars is created & maintained in the ECU - The only way to get rid of it is to reprofile the ECU.

All these other devices are merely signal amplifiers.
Lag needs technical definition. The white paper on the SLK clearly shows improved throttle ressponse with the "other device".
Old 12-19-2009, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Yes - depends what is considered minimal

Experience tells me that true lag is not negligible & is programmed in - as with the TCU & many other Benz devices including the aircon.
That was the white paper author's definition, shown in Figs 2 and 5. As he alluded to, most people are really experiencing something else ... different from what he defined and tested as lag. I suspect it's improved throttle response with the Booster. Fig4 shows no significant lag in throttle response with Booster installed. I wish he ran a similar test w/o the Booster.

The first thing ECU tuners do in this country is delete the lag. I've sat down with a young Prof. at one of our local universities & watched him do it on a Benz V6 ECU....
Always good to find a good tuner. Being a Professor is not a necessary condition ... I've worked with Prof's from the US, Germany, and Russia on different Engineering issues, and in each case I proved them wrong, violating principles of physics.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C 63 2008
Sprintbooster

Have none of you seen the white paper on the sprint booster or the huge thread about it? It was scientifically PROVEN that it does absolutely nothing to throttle response or power. It simply decreases the pedal travel. With it installed, once you push the pedal past ~3/4 you get no more acceleration because you are already at full throttle. A lot of people even with it installed are unfortunately fooled by this. There are also questions regarding the safety of the SB because it does not (unless its been updated) forward the redundant gas pedal position signal. Without that redundant signal you could get stranded, or worse, the throttle could get "stuck" (electronically ofcourse.) Please go read that thread. There's always someone who will respond now and say that I'm wrong. I'm not going to respond to that because the white paper clearly states the facts.
Really the Sprintbooster does nothing at all is it true?

because i am about to install to my C63 2008 AMG and i not sure should i do it or not? after reading what you wrote i am now having second thought?
Old 09-20-2010, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
There was also a thread about using an alternate procedure with your gas pedal reset where it doesn't require as much travel to acquire the same amount of speed.

Seems like the thread was titled something about free sprintbooster.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C
That free sprint booster is your own foot. Just develop a brick foot and you're good to go