C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Mercedes Benz C300 Undercoat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018-G550
Mercedes Benz C300 Undercoat

Driven in summer and winter in Canada, lots of snow in winter. Do I need to get an oil coating done for the under carriage/chassis to protect it from rusting because of the snow and salt? I just bought this car recently. Much appreciate your advice.

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2010, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
NO!
So many reasons!
- Essentially an unproven dealer profit item
- Vehicle was manufactured with rust inhibitors (when was last rusty Benz you saw?)
- Vehicle has rust warranty
- Unavoidable overspray makes mess and can cause other problems
- Wears off quickly
- etc, etc, etc..................

If conditions are that bad, just use a do-it-yourself spray washer to clean underside or go through a known gentle car wash with a "bottom blaster" spray.

Last edited by Sportstick; 01-16-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 4matic
it's a huge money maker for the dealerships and they don't really do much anyways.

Cars these days are already protected from corrosion from modern galvanization, paints and other surface treatments, hense the long warranty for rust and corrosion.

I always wash (or at least rinse) my car including the underside after driving through snowy roads with salt or mag cloride.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Crossfire SRT-6
Originally Posted by Sportstick

- Vehicle was manufactured with rust inhibitors (when was last rusty Benz you saw?)

[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I've seen a couple rusty M-Bs as new as MY2007 models. They were both from back East(New Jersey and New York) that were in vegas visiting, got into an accident and I had to cut the exhaust bolts in order to remove the exhaust for repairs. Also there is/was a huge issue with w221's and their aluminum doors corroding/rotting on the bottom edges in areas that have snow/salt on the roads. I could go on with the various models but I'll just say that there is NO vehicle that is impervious to salt/snow.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
\
Unhappy

Originally Posted by moparrbust
Also there is/was a huge issue with w221's and their aluminum doors corroding/rotting on the bottom edges in areas that have snow/salt on the roads.
This is easily prevented by the manufacturer by anodizing the aluminum, and I can't imagine that Mercedes isn't already doing this.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C350
My paint's rusting.....and I just bought my car in November. There are occasional rust spots I see in the paint when I'm waxing her.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by snarlingchicken
My paint's rusting.....and I just bought my car in November. There are occasional rust spots I see in the paint when I'm waxing her.
You need to take your car to the dealership...this is covered under warranty. I wouldn't stand for that...rust on a new car is just crazy. Go demand a fix ASAP.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by snarlingchicken
Is it rusting under the paint or have you picked up some rail delivery, or similar crap on your paint? I would be hugely surprised if it's rusting under the paint.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
I've seen a couple rusty M-Bs as new as MY2007 models. They were both from back East(New Jersey and New York) that were in vegas visiting, got into an accident and I had to cut the exhaust bolts in order to remove the exhaust for repairs. Also there is/was a huge issue with w221's and their aluminum doors corroding/rotting on the bottom edges in areas that have snow/salt on the roads. I could go on with the various models but I'll just say that there is NO vehicle that is impervious to salt/snow.
Of course, you are right....nothing is impervious. And, some parts, such as a bolt will often show some surface corrosion. But, as other posters have referenced, original factory e-coating, galvanized steel, etc. provide much more protection than a spray of oil on the underbody. My point is that we don't see modern generation Benzes, or most brands, for that matter, which wind up like:

and, given the lack of benefit, and potential risks of overspray, I still strongly advise NOT doing undercoat.

PS - Sorry for the large photo...posted it the usual way, but it just wanted to be seen large!!
Old 01-17-2010, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Beautifully protected American iron The LH front wheel is in good nick!

BTW - should you decide to have underbody protection done only use one of the approved MB wax based products that are elastomer friendly & don't bugger up anything including paint.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C350
I wouldn't say it's under the paint. Whenever I clean my car or am waxing it, I notice a few tiny rust spots that I usually can polish/buff out, but sometimes it leaves a rusty....rim of sorts after I get the main rust off of it. I'll probably take her down when I get my service A done soon.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Hmm - I suspect your car has been near a source of fine metal filings - eg train wheels & brakes.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:17 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Rustbuckets

The W210 E-Class is one of MB's rustbuckets. Lots of reports of the upper spring perches breaking off.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:21 AM
Super Moderator

Yep & they had a front fender recall on early Brazilian built 203s. When I look at the East London plant's protection, dipping & painting regime & the galvanic surface protection on key panels from our pressing shops, which is identical to the German plants I find it hard to believe they have many rusting claims under warranty. My 203 is six years old & I live right at the coast - not even a rust stain on a seam anywhere. Funnily enough the only thing on the car that has succumbed to minor corrosion is the bonnet star which was hit by a stone that removed some chrome. I have a new one ready to fit.