C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Base Stereo w/MM in 2010

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 10:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 E300 Lux, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2015 Mercedes ML350 (wife's)
Base Stereo w/MM in 2010

I put a deposit down on a new C300 with the MM package and was disappointed to learn that the H/K system is no longer packaged with the MM option. So..........how is the base system? I DID a search () and the results were mixed. Can anyone with a 2010 comment on their base system now that that system will probably be in 90% of all C Classes? (my dealer had 126 in stock and few if any had the H/K option checked).

I have a 2009 BMW 135i and I have to say the base system is more than adequate for what I am looking for. It has a sub under each seat and plenty of power.....I have no regrets about not getting the upgraded sound in the Bimmer. I'm hoping I feel the same way in the M-B. Are there factory subs with the base system? All I could find was that it has 8 speakers.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:59 AM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLC300 4MATIC
I think many people will agree with me when I say this:

The HK upgraded sound system is really quite good... obviously better than the base system. That being said, the base system isn't bad, and many people like it just fine. I've heard both as almost all loaner vehicles I use have the base stereo and I'm never that impressed by it - however...

I'm a bit more of an audiophile, so the HK system for me was a must - Also, that being said, for the additional cost for the HK system, I've heard better - you aren't exactly getting your money's worth on it and might be even better upgrading the stock yourself with new speakers and amps to get amazing sound for the cost of the HK "good" sound...

- Eric
Old 06-20-2010, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C 300
I like the base system
Old 06-20-2010, 12:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 Silver/Black C300 6-spd Manual - SOLD
The base stereo actually sounds pretty good for the most part. The base stereo does not come with a subwoofer, but the speakers sound great. I find it lacking bass (especially in the rear) because most of the speakers (6 of the 8) are located up front. I added an amplified subwoofer (Bazooka BTA8100) in the trunk to balance out the sound and it sounds so much better now.

The HK system sounds great (at least it did in the 09 C350 I test drove), but it's tough to find a car equipped with it since MB decided to make it a stand alone option for 2010.

Audio is always easy to upgrade (and you can upgrade it for less $ than the cost of the actual HK system) so don't get down on yourself if you can't find a car equipped with the HK sound system.

Last edited by lewylou78; 06-20-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:36 PM

E-Class
Originally Posted by BlackjackM
Can anyone with a 2010 comment on their base system now that that system will probably be in 90% of all C Classes? (my dealer had 126 in stock and few if any had the H/K option checked).
Not sure where you are located but I did a quick search in Navistar and I was able to find 663 C300(out of 5431) on the ground with MM and HK option. Sure most of them were loaded cars with MSRP of $43-48k but I was able to count at least 50 with MSRP between $40-41k(Ie cars with P1 and MM and HK + either metallic paint or wood trim or both).

So if you are located in a market like LA, SF, NYC or Mia(where I see many dealers with the above cars with MM and HK options lightly equipped) it might be worth your time to call a couple of other dealers and see if the have the car you want in stock or are willing to dealer trade for it.

I hope the above info was helpful.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by cyberjak
Not sure where you are located but I did a quick search in Navistar and I was able to find 663 C300(out of 5431) on the ground with MM and HK option. Sure most of them were loaded cars with MSRP of $43-48k but I was able to count at least 50 with MSRP between $40-41k(Ie cars with P1 and MM and HK + either metallic paint or wood trim or both).

So if you are located in a market like LA, SF, NYC or Mia(where I see many dealers with the above cars with MM and HK options lightly equipped) it might be worth your time to call a couple of other dealers and see if the have the car you want in stock or are willing to dealer trade for it.

I hope the above info was helpful.
I'm near Boston (just updated my CP) so those won't work but thanks for checking! It looks like my 90% number was off a bit but not by much...the upgraded sound still looks to be pretty rare for this year.

I'm glad to hear the good feedback about the base system, just a bit bummed that there's no factory sub. Again, I'm perfectly pleased with the base system in my Bimmer so I hope to feel the same when I pick up the Benz. Worst case, I can always add a sub like lewylou78 did.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Originally Posted by lewylou78
The base stereo actually sounds pretty good for the most part. The base stereo does not come with a subwoofer, but the speakers sound great. I find it lacking bass (especially in the rear) because most of the speakers (6 of the 8) are located up front. I added an amplified subwoofer (Bazooka BTA8100) in the trunk to balance out the sound and it sounds so much better now.
If you're up to experimenting, you might want to see if you can move that sub closer to the driver's position to minimize the difference in distances between all your speakers and the driver. It should show up as more accurate bass. I'm into home theater and this would be something we could adjust for in speaker setup menus. You also have a question of bass management and amplifier/processing induced delays but from what I can tell those issues aren't addressable in these type add-ons.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:45 PM

2010 Silver/Black C300 6-spd Manual - SOLD
Originally Posted by JimPap
If you're up to experimenting, you might want to see if you can move that sub closer to the driver's position to minimize the difference in distances between all your speakers and the driver. It should show up as more accurate bass. I'm into home theater and this would be something we could adjust for in speaker setup menus. You also have a question of bass management and amplifier/processing induced delays but from what I can tell those issues aren't addressable in these type add-ons.
I see what you are saying, but the 8" bazooka won't fit (neatly that is) anywhere behind the driver or passenger seat. I thought about adding a thin rectangular-shaped amplified subwoofer either under the driver or pasenger seat or where the factory sub mounts, but chose not to because I don't know how good they are since I never tried them.

The factory subwoofer in the HK system in located in the rear shelf behind the rear seat top section. My bazooka is located almost in the same place, but a couple feet lower. Subwoofers in cars should be located towards the rear in my opinion. I like how Mercedes placed most of the speakers up front (surrounding the driver and passenger), but the base system would have sounded much better if they added one measly subwoofer in the rear shelf. Instead, they don't add any subwoofer on the base system and only give you the option of buying the HK system for over $800 (which isn't even installed on that many c-class cars to begin with).
Old 06-21-2010, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
I can't believe the stock system doesn't have a sub...

I had the BOSE studio on wheels in my Infiniti in the premium package, and that system was amazing.

The stock system is more than good enough for me coming from the upgraded system in the infiniti. My butt shakes when the volume is cranked. While the stock base system does not perform as well with highs or lows compared to my BOSE. You would never know your missing anything if I never had it. Sounds great and would put the extra money towards Lamin-X, X-pipe, tints, or front/rear spoilers or lips/ diffusers. That's just my opinion.

What I recommend: Go to the dealership and ask to see a base sound system C class, and one with the HK system. Of course one will sound better than the other, but is the base system suitable for your needs? Just crank it up, my dealer let me. I decided the base system was ample, with the option to upgrade it down the road with the money saved.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:10 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by JimPap
thats not very important in a vehicle; e.g. the subwoofer wavelength size is larger than the interior of the vehicle so sub-bass cannot be directionalized in the same way we can perceive path length differences and direction with higher frequencies.. The main reason to move the sub around is to take advantage of the vehicle transfer function which may provide higher output (assuming HK didnt work all that out already)
Old 06-23-2010, 05:12 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
The important thing with the newer benzes is to get the MM system... The new NTG2.5 and NTG4 systems are some of the best overall oem systems in both features and capability. You can always add amplifiers, speakers and woofers to upgrade from the base system.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Originally Posted by rob13572468
thats not very important in a vehicle; e.g. the subwoofer wavelength size is larger than the interior of the vehicle so sub-bass cannot be directionalized in the same way we can perceive path length differences and direction with higher frequencies.. The main reason to move the sub around is to take advantage of the vehicle transfer function which may provide higher output (assuming HK didnt work all that out already)
Out of phase signals create cancellations. Has nothing to do with directionality.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:24 PM

C300 Luxury
i just got back yesterday (European delivery, C300 Lux, P2, leather, MM, HK and back-up camera) and after 2 weeks driving in Europe I really believe that the upgraded HK Logic 7 is worth every penny. My Acura TL has a premium ELS system and the HK Logic 7 is far superior.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by DannyAves
i just got back yesterday (European delivery, C300 Lux, P2, leather, MM, HK and back-up camera) and after 2 weeks driving in Europe I really believe that the upgraded HK Logic 7 is worth every penny. My Acura TL has a premium ELS system and the HK Logic 7 is far superior.
That sounds like a very nicely optioned Benz! Post up some pics, I love seeing the leather interior.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:23 PM

C300 Luxury
Originally Posted by BlackjackM
That sounds like a very nicely optioned Benz! Post up some pics, I love seeing the leather interior.
Here are some. One is from the delivery center at Sindelfingen and the others from outside the drop off point in Frankfurt.
Attached Thumbnails Base Stereo w/MM in 2010-1.jpg   Base Stereo w/MM in 2010-2.jpg   Base Stereo w/MM in 2010-4.jpg   Base Stereo w/MM in 2010-5.jpg   Base Stereo w/MM in 2010-6.jpg  

Base Stereo w/MM in 2010-7.jpg