C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Is fog light lens covered by warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 W204
Exclamation Is fog light lens covered by warranty

As this happened to many people including me, the fog light lens on W204 is just too weak that could be easily destroyed by road debris.
Mines cracked on the third month I had the car. I paid 370 to my dealer for 1 single fog light. And I am getting myself those protective films.

anyway, I am wondering the fog light lens has some manufacturing quality or design defect. Shouldnt it be covered under warranty? What do you guys think of this?
Old 08-25-2010, 01:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS 550 / C300 S
Originally Posted by huir
As this happened to many people including me, the fog light lens on W204 is just too weak that could be easily destroyed by road debris.
Mines cracked on the third month I had the car. I paid 370 to my dealer for 1 single fog light. And I am getting myself those protective films.

anyway, I am wondering the fog light lens has some manufacturing quality or design defect. Shouldnt it be covered under warranty? What do you guys think of this?
Personally, I am not aware of defects you can use to argue..

and

unfortunately no, it is not covered (I had the same situation you did).
I tried arguing and all that, the best they did was give me 20% off.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Yeah...many users here..myself included..have had one or both fog light lenses crack. It seems to be only happening to the Sport models and not the Luxury versions, so I would venture to say theres a design flaw somewhere. MB must be aware of the situation as they have started to change the fog lights, either going to the dual look on some models (one smaller fog one smaller daytime running light) or getting rid of the fog lights all together in favor of a daytime running l.e.d. strip.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
I was able to get it replaced under warranty after bringing a box of donuts to my SA lol. Also got the lower plastic grille fixed under warranty when a rock went through it. Get in good with your SA and they can make things happen.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:19 PM

2010 W204
Originally Posted by chilledbenz
Yeah...many users here..myself included..have had one or both fog light lenses crack. It seems to be only happening to the Sport models and not the Luxury versions, so I would venture to say theres a design flaw somewhere. MB must be aware of the situation as they have started to change the fog lights, either going to the dual look on some models (one smaller fog one smaller daytime running light) or getting rid of the fog lights all together in favor of a daytime running l.e.d. strip.
Yup, I think MB is aware of this. Look at the 2011 C class... LED DLR...NO FOG LIGHT ANY MORE
Old 08-25-2010, 03:20 PM

2010 W204
Originally Posted by Azn_C300
I was able to get it replaced under warranty after bringing a box of donuts to my SA lol. Also got the lower plastic grille fixed under warranty when a rock went through it. Get in good with your SA and they can make things happen.
You SA is cool... But sometimes SA just dont wanna help. They want my money
Old 08-25-2010, 03:21 PM

2010 W204
Originally Posted by Rapsteady1
Personally, I am not aware of defects you can use to argue..

and

unfortunately no, it is not covered (I had the same situation you did).
I tried arguing and all that, the best they did was give me 20% off.
It is always hard to argue with dealers. I couldnt even get a discount..
Old 08-26-2010, 11:17 AM

2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
Fixed fog lamp glass, shattered in less than two hours

Being friendly with the SA is good. But remember that at the end of the day they are still SALESMEN.

That said, I might have the record for shortest lived fog light glass.

Had one shatter a few months back and only got it replaced two days ago.

1.5 hours is all it took for the damned lamp to shatter again... nearly $400 out the window.

If that doesn't signal DESIGN FLAW(or dumb bad luck), I don't know what does. They should have just gone with the same damned plastic used for the headlights instead of that garbage hella glass assemby.

SA at Helms Bros.-Bayside said he'll fix it under good will...PROBABLY.

Needs to call MBZ and see what he can do but he seemed very optimistic.

On another note, has anyone had problems with severe discoloration and grime buildup on the inside of their fog lamp glass? My right side fog light is so damn dirty! No visible cracks either...
Old 08-26-2010, 02:15 PM

2010 W204
Originally Posted by dcjwlee
Being friendly with the SA is good. But remember that at the end of the day they are still SALESMEN.

That said, I might have the record for shortest lived fog light glass.

Had one shatter a few months back and only got it replaced two days ago.

1.5 hours is all it took for the damned lamp to shatter again... nearly $400 out the window.

If that doesn't signal DESIGN FLAW(or dumb bad luck), I don't know what does. They should have just gone with the same damned plastic used for the headlights instead of that garbage hella glass assemby.

SA at Helms Bros.-Bayside said he'll fix it under good will...PROBABLY.

Needs to call MBZ and see what he can do but he seemed very optimistic.

On another note, has anyone had problems with severe discoloration and grime buildup on the inside of their fog lamp glass? My right side fog light is so damn dirty! No visible cracks either...
You shouldn't probably need to pay this time. But as you said, they are salesmen.. you never know.
mine cracked. and I am not gonna fix it in the near future. Since they would replaced the entire fog light instead of just the lens,
Old 08-26-2010, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
I had one of my fog light lens crack a while back. I bought the foglight online for like $90 including shipping and replaced it myself. The older one looked dirty as you said above, but it was actually pitting and stuff I couldn't get off for the life of me. So I ordered a second one and replaced that as well (so they matched each other, then put on my lamin-x covers. Been 4 months since and no chips since!

It was acutally pretty easy to replace the housing. I took off the foglight mesh with the 3 torx screws, then I used a small ratchet with a torx head on it to get behind the housing from the front of the car to remove the 4 torx screws. Took about 15 minutes to replace one side, much easier than the DIY method posted on the forum where he went from the wheel well and took the black plastic lining down.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:02 AM

2008 C300 Sport Black on Black
You're my idol! This must be the best piece of info I've read on this site. Thanks for your valuable input!!
Old 08-27-2010, 06:57 PM

2010 W204
Well, so it would just crack again even you replace a new fog light.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:43 AM

2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
Originally Posted by jctevere
I had one of my fog light lens crack a while back. I bought the foglight online for like $90 including shipping and replaced it myself. The older one looked dirty as you said above, but it was actually pitting and stuff I couldn't get off for the life of me. So I ordered a second one and replaced that as well (so they matched each other, then put on my lamin-x covers. Been 4 months since and no chips since!

It was acutally pretty easy to replace the housing. I took off the foglight mesh with the 3 torx screws, then I used a small ratchet with a torx head on it to get behind the housing from the front of the car to remove the 4 torx screws. Took about 15 minutes to replace one side, much easier than the DIY method posted on the forum where he went from the wheel well and took the black plastic lining down.
So you fixed it for the price of one hour of labor at MBZ service. (They also charged me $130 for the part...) Nice

Got a callback from the SA, said they would cover the labor but not the parts. Said I wasn't sure and he said when the part comes in oon Tues. he'll see if they can cover that as well.

Last edited by dcjwlee; 08-28-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:41 AM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLC300 4MATIC
I wish my SA was a fatty who could be bribed with donuts... Oh well.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
08 c350
can I only change the glass? or do I have buy the whole fog light assembly?
Old 08-30-2010, 11:11 PM

2010 W204
You will need to buy the whole fog light. The dealer said they couldnt just replace the lens
Old 08-31-2010, 12:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
08 c350
that sucks....
Old 12-31-2010, 08:45 PM

2009 C300 Sport
Cracked fog light with Luminex cover

I've had the Luminex covers on my fogs for several months and noticed today that my RF fog is cracked. Debris his the 8 o'clock on the edge of the glass where the cover wasn't. It's still functional, I'll order one online and replace it myself before I line the pockets of a stealership!