C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Anybody else bored with their C?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by NJBNZ
No it's not "just human" to get bored with something! You too are obviously bored and miserable in your overall life if you have become bored with this automotive masterpiece. lol

Gettin a little full or yourself there, aren't ya?

Originally Posted by tanktube67
It's just human to get bored with our current cars, it happens to me too.
+1

It really is human nature. Guess it's why we don't live in caves anymore. Even though it may be a nice cave, a geological masterpiece even, the Ritz will beat it everytime.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by C300Sport
Gettin a little full or yourself there, aren't ya?
You must've missed my intended sarcasm. I was referring back to CARSY's belief that anyone who gets bored with their C300 must be bored with their life in general lol
Old 09-20-2010, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
I think I understand Carsy's point. The repetitive search for a "fix" of novelty does seem to suggest appreciation for the inherent goodness of something may be lacking. If something as significant as a Mercedes can go from "cool" to "boring" in 24 months, it was probably more originally appreciated for being new and different than for what it is, per se. I think Carsy may mean that if one cannot appreciate the goodness of things (or people) over time, and one needs novelty not to be bored, there may be some degree of underlying boredom/emptiness to that person's life.

Makes sense to me....but I enjoyed my last BMW for 13 years before selling it....and happily married for 31 years!

Last edited by Sportstick; 09-20-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
You must've missed my intended sarcasm. I was referring back to CARSY's belief that anyone who gets bored with their C300 must be bored with their life in general lol
yea I did...been a rough Monday!
Old 09-21-2010, 06:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Arrrrrrr ... its the consumer throw away society in action.

I am the type of weird old ******* who keeps his cars for 15 years then passes them on in good condition to his kids.

The longer I have them the more I learn about their mechanicals & the more attached I become to them. Just like comfortable old slippers

The W204 is our 3rd new car & going on my age it will very probably be my last.

So NJBNZ you may now understand why we are poles apart in our thinking.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by Carsy
Arrrrrrr ... its the consumer throw away society in action.

I am the type of weird old ******* who keeps his cars for 15 years then passes them on in good condition to his kids.

The longer I have them the more I learn about their mechanicals & the more attached I become to them. Just like comfortable old slippers

The W204 is our 3rd new car & going on my age it will very probably be my last.

So NJBNZ you may now understand why we are poles apart in our thinking.
I'm with you John, it is the children of the era that lost the "art of playing" that become bored without continuous external stimulus from the likes of computer games.

I still enjoy every moment spent driving & caring for my 7 year old & trouble-free W203. The lady of the home is welcome to the C350. I'll stick to my comfortable old slippers or slops.

I also appreciate the inherent goodness of my friends & people in general (Sportstick)

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 09-21-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:01 AM

09 C300S 4M
What I'm failing to understand in regards to the self-described "old *****" who keep things for many years is why would that a superior stance? Consumer throw away society?

Whether you keep your car for 15 years or get bored after 1 year like me, has no relevance to society or character in regards to relationships until you decide to place that meaning on it. It's a car, not a synonym for everyone else's life. I respect people who care for their cars long term as well as those who get bored easily. To constrict this to thinking one way is superior to the other via ridiculing is a mild form of dictatorship to conform to a certain line of thinking.

Let people be free! The thread is about anyone bored with their C, not let's make people feel inferior for not being in love with a piece of metal parts for more than a stated period of time.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
\
Seriously, who actually throws their car away after one year? I've bought cars and sold them again after 10 months, but to throw them away? Wow. If there's something wrong with selling a used car please let me know.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by BenTrovato
What I'm failing to understand in regards to the self-described "old *****" who keep things for many years is why would that a superior stance? Consumer throw away society?

Whether you keep your car for 15 years or get bored after 1 year like me, has no relevance to society or character in regards to relationships until you decide to place that meaning on it. It's a car, not a synonym for everyone else's life. I respect people who care for their cars long term as well as those who get bored easily. To constrict this to thinking one way is superior to the other via ridiculing is a mild form of dictatorship to conform to a certain line of thinking.

Let people be free! The thread is about anyone bored with their C, not let's make people feel inferior for not being in love with a piece of metal parts for more than a stated period of time.
Ben,

I imagine you are very knowledgeable about debate tactics, as you have well employed the straw man technique of using extremes ("ridiculing", "dictatorship", "being in love"), and then knocking them down. Well done there!

But, aside from us seasoned citizens not really having done any of that, the larger point may be missed. Believe it or not, there was a time (somewhere between cavemen and texting) when items were more highly valued due to the work needed to acquire them, and any type of boredom was inherently considered a shortcoming of the person. In an age when there were many fewer "stimulants" out there waiting to be bought, we may have had the same lessons around the world...that our mental stimulation was our own internal responsibility. In the absence of a book, conversation, or activity to engage in, our own thoughts were to be relied upon to keep life interesting. Only in relatively recent history, a few decades or so, have marketers persuaded generations that freedom from boredom, whether with things or people, should be purchased instead of self-generated. Inevitably, as with most external stimulants, the need for the next experience develops a quicker cycle time. I don't think we are attacking anyone or claiming superiority...but we somewhat bemoan the increasing need for more extravagant and frequent stimulants. But, you clearly are quite free to do as you wish and we are so "last century"!!
Old 09-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Most eloquent - I certainly don't have the ability to improve on it - nor will I try
Old 09-21-2010, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!

+1 on that one Ben. To the "self-described "old *****", their car has sentimental value to them, which signifies greater value to them. To others, a car is just an object with no great particular significance. A Mercedes is an emotional purchase. There is no particular reason why we should be spending this amount of money as opposed to a non luxury branded vehicle. Will it last twice as long because it cost twice as much? Just admit it, a car is a novelty item period. There's no reason why we can't get bored of it.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:29 PM

'09 C300 4Matic Sport

Originally Posted by I am Jeff
+1 on that one Ben. To the "self-described "old *****", their car has sentimental value to them, which signifies greater value to them. To others, a car is just an object with no great particular significance. A Mercedes is an emotional purchase. There is no particular reason why we should be spending this amount of money as opposed to a non luxury branded vehicle. Will it last twice as long because it cost twice as much? Just admit it, a car is a novelty item period. There's no reason why we can't get bored of it.
Very well said!
Old 09-21-2010, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Well, I guess we've wrung that topic out.........

Those comfortable with their easy boredom and those left scratching their heads about it may each go on their way.