C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

installed cone filters

Old 10-26-2010, 02:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C350
installed cone filters

I installed cone filters this weekend. Not much difference in engine noise. Not sure if it made any performance difference.

I dont remember who posted this DIY before, but thanks!
Attached Thumbnails installed cone filters-photo-4.jpg  
Old 10-26-2010, 02:14 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
You're going to want heat shields.....
Old 10-26-2010, 02:21 PM

C350
Originally Posted by AZN Optics
You're going to want heat shields.....
I agree, I'll have to look into that. The fit is pretty tight. If you see the top of the filter on the passenger side, its got a black spot because it touches the inside of the hood when its closed.

Luckily the factory air ducts are right in line with the filters.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'20 Targa 4 DD, ' 18 Volvo S60 T6
so are they inline cones connected to the OE CAI?

Anyway - thermal foil wrap on all air box components will help some probably. If not connected to the OE CAI you def need heat shields and a monster CAI hood scoop

IMO the OE CAI is a great set-up aside from the cheap plastics and poor sealing on the main airbox....
Old 10-26-2010, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w204
its tough to tell from the pic but are those just open filters? meaning does the air from the above the grill (the ram set up) go right through to the intakes? if that is the case they they aren't filtering anything and debris is literally shooting right up the tubes.

in other words...the cone filter should have a top on it. K&N's do. those look like cheap ebay cones.

not my car but that is about the worst set up you can have. you mine as well take the air damn off completely. at least crap would have to get from the grill to MAF the hard way without giving it a direct line.

if they are topped then your fine, other than sucking in the hot air from the bay.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:39 PM

C350
Originally Posted by BEEPbeepZIPtang
its tough to tell from the pic but are those just open filters? meaning does the air from the above the grill (the ram set up) go right through to the intakes? if that is the case they they aren't filtering anything and debris is literally shooting right up the tubes.

in other words...the cone filter should have a top on it. K&N's do. those look like cheap ebay cones.

not my car but that is about the worst set up you can have. you mine as well take the air damn off completely. at least crap would have to get from the grill to MAF the hard way without giving it a direct line.

if they are topped then your fine, other than sucking in the hot air from the bay.
Not sure what you mean by open filters, they are open on the top but they have filter media in the opening to get more air into them, and the filter media is the same as the stuff that the rest of the cone is made of, like the K&N XStream series.

The factory Ram is pointed at each cone so when moving the outside air is directed to the cone filters.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:38 PM

w204
i meant...if you hold up the cone to your eye, from front to back, can you see straight through to other side?

if it was sitting upright on a table, could you look through the top and see the table or is there something inside preventing debris from entering?

the filter part isn't doing you any good if that is the case.

from the pics, it looks as if the silver part is open, then the mesh wraps around and the back is clamped to the intake hoses? where the silver part is...that should be closed up...not open...otherwise there is nothing preventing rain, dirt, dust, anything from being sucked into the manifold.
Attached Thumbnails installed cone filters-rc-5171.jpg  
Old 10-26-2010, 06:00 PM

C350
Originally Posted by BEEPbeepZIPtang
i meant...if you hold up the cone to your eye, from front to back, can you see straight through to other side?

if it was sitting upright on a table, could you look through the top and see the table or is there something inside preventing debris from entering?

the filter part isn't doing you any good if that is the case.

from the pics, it looks as if the silver part is open, then the mesh wraps around and the back is clamped to the intake hoses? where the silver part is...that should be closed up...not open...otherwise there is nothing preventing rain, dirt, dust, anything from being sucked into the manifold.
Gotcha, no they are closed up on the top. Yea if it werent closed on top, it wouldnt be much of a filter at all.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:10 PM

Mercedes Benz C300 Sport
Originally Posted by delirium
I installed cone filters this weekend. Not much difference in engine noise. Not sure if it made any performance difference.

I dont remember who posted this DIY before, but thanks!
Delirium that looks pretty nifty

Have you figured out a way on how to fit the heat shields? It looks pretty tight around the cone... I saw someone where he shaved out part of the side engine cover
Old 10-26-2010, 08:22 PM

2009 C350
hey just wondering, does this just replace the two tubes between the air box and the inlets on top of the grills? or does it replace the boxes that hold the stock filters too?
Old 10-26-2010, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 Color: 090 / 1999 Honda Civic EX / 2003 Acura TL
looks good but i would worry about the heat of your Engine
Old 10-27-2010, 12:06 PM

C350
ZeroSeven: I dont know how to attach the heat shields yet, but it doesnt look like they will fit without cutting the engine cover because the fit is really tight.

qwqwerertyty: This involves removing the stop air filters and parts off the factory air ram & putting cones in the place of the air ram. The factory air box is still on the car.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:19 PM

White 2010 C300 Sport
i just installed mine today. hope to get some reaction on it by the end of the weekend cause it takes time to adjust
Old 10-27-2010, 07:20 PM

C350
Originally Posted by mike_benzc300
i just installed mine today. hope to get some reaction on it by the end of the weekend cause it takes time to adjust
Yea, i think mine has a little more growl now than it did when first installed.
You also go with Sceptre?
Old 10-27-2010, 07:24 PM

White 2010 C300 Sport
yeah same exact ones. white p4's. i have an xpipe on mine and i drove around already in my neighborhood and i definitely hear it being a little louder. even my exhaust sound picked up. lets see by the end of this weekend
Old 10-27-2010, 08:32 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
you guys can have the same effect by just replacing the stock paper filter with the K&N. without changing the airbox you are still pulling in the same air volume, so having a cone filter up front or just replacing the filter with K&N does the same thing.

with the K&N the car definitely pulls stronger up top and with more growl + the ECU tune & x-pipe that was already on the car.

Last edited by FrankW; 10-27-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:37 PM

C350
Originally Posted by FrankW
you guys can have the same effect by just replacing the stock paper filter with the K&N. without changing the airbox you are still pulling in the same air volume, so having a cone filter up front or just replacing the filter with K&N does the same thing.

with the K&N the car definitely pulls stronger up top and with more growl + the ECU tune & x-pipe that was already on the car.
lol, I didnt think about it but you are right, our cars already have a pretty good ram air setup. However there is more surface area on the cone filter to suck in more air.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:51 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by delirium
lol, I didnt think about it but you are right, our cars already have a pretty good ram air setup. However there is more surface area on the cone filter to suck in more air.
the cone filter does have more surface area, but the main issue is with the box may not be big enough. The airbox at the TB on the m272 is a horrific restricted T.

the airbox is the most talked about thing on the C32/55 forum where ppl try to improve on. without changing the design of the box, the simple filter change is the best bet. but of course, if you can heat insolate those cone filters it might work better than just filters. who knows.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
K/N does

nothing.

The cone filter instaLLED EFFECTIVELY negated a well engineered cold air intake system the car came with.
Now you are picking up hot underhood air at times over 170f instead of the cool air from the factory setup by the grill.

OEM filters have been shown to outflow K/n and cone filters that defeat the cold air intake deliver less power roughly 1% of your hp for every 10f rise in air temp

100f underhood air equals about 10 hp lost for a snake oil gimmic
Plus you lose the ram effect by moving the filters completely away from the cai.
When will people learn

Last edited by ohlord; 10-27-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 blk/blk C63 AMG, 2010 wht/blk c300 sport, 06 c280, 12 Triumph Daytona 675R wht/blk/red
Originally Posted by ohlord
nothing.

The cone filter instaLLED EFFECTIVELY negated a well engineered cold air intake system the car came with.
Now you are picking up hot underhood air at times over 170f instead of the cool air from the factory setup by the grill.

OEM filters have been shown to outflow K/n and cone filters that defeat the cold air intake deliver less power roughly 1% of your hp for every 10f rise in air temp

Plus you lose the ram effect by moving the filters completely away from the cai.
When will people learn
how would you lose the ram effect?? the cones are evenly lined up with the holes for the stock intakes.. the airflow is still directed straight into the cones. all he needs is some quick and easy heat shields and he should be golden. the cones also produce a nice growl from under the hood once adjusted properly over a few days. we all know these cars do not sound half as nice as they should. and are you really saying the oem paper filters outperform K&N high flows? i have a very similar setup with K&N cones and drop ins and it sounds very nice. i wouldnt agree with that 10hp loss at all.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:40 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
nothing.

When will people learn
have you even seen how much of the 3" inlet the stock air filter BLOCKS on the M272? don't think so.

have you even seen how much better the flow and air temp drops on the Eurocharged intake for the C32/SLK32/X-fire using the same cone+intake pipe principle? don't think so.

oh lord..
Old 10-28-2010, 12:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 blk/blk C63 AMG, 2010 wht/blk c300 sport, 06 c280, 12 Triumph Daytona 675R wht/blk/red
Originally Posted by FrankW
have you even seen how much of the 3" inlet the stock air filter BLOCKS on the M272? don't think so.

have you even seen how much better the flow and air temp drops on the Eurocharged intake for the C32/SLK32/X-fire using the same cone+intake pipe principle? don't think so.

oh lord..
Old 10-28-2010, 12:30 AM

C350
I didn't think about it during installation but as frank stated there is a "t" junction there both ram air meet and to into the throttle body. And it's small. How lame is that?
Old 10-28-2010, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Have you

ever put a temp probe in the intake of a stock cold air and compared it to a cone picking up unchannled underhood air as pictured in the op post?
I didn't think so. Lined up is not the same as hooked to.
I won't argue with K/N fan boys though.They think sound make car go fast ya know that butt dyno thing they have

And yes oem filters out flow K/N and both out flow the cfm the engine is capable of sucking in ergo no gain
add bypassing cai and net loss

Last edited by ohlord; 10-28-2010 at 01:06 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:14 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
ever put a temp probe in the intake of a stock cold air and compared it to a cone picking up unchannled underhood air as pictured in the op post?
I didn't think so. Lined up is not the same as hooked to.
I won't argue with K/N fan boys though they think sound make car go fast ya know that butt dyno thing they have

And yes oem filters out flow K/N and both out flow the cfm the engine is capable of sucking in ergo no gain
add bypassing cai and net loss
eh...when the car is moving the air rushing through the front of the car is much great then still air inside the engine bay. temp probe? I use a laser pointer temperature gauge.

you sound like you never seen the K&N's simple ping-pong ball test or seen it in person.

and just FYI, oem paper filter will out filter the K&N (not by much), but definitely not out flow the K&N or other brands out there such as Green or BMC filter.

the mushroom/cone setup with coated intake tube from Eurocharged has effectively increase power, not loss...

oh lord...

edit: the reason for sound increase is also simple. it's because there is less restriction on your throttle body.

edit: flow test done by some dude http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest2.htm

oh lord...

Last edited by FrankW; 10-28-2010 at 01:26 AM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: installed cone filters