C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Ok this is too fkn annoying - fuel count

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok this is too fkn annoying - fuel count

i wanna understand whos that genius engineer that decided to put this car with fuel pump in the most critical moment when u actually need to know how many mills u got let before u running out of fuel

when it gets to like 30km left i get this pic and i have no idea when im gonna get stuck

is there a good reason for that or this is some kind of cruel joke

i almost got stuck today for the 3rd time
Old 11-30-2010, 02:35 PM

C300
The "miles to empty" is just an estimation. It is inaccurate at low fuel level, say less than 1 gallon left. Plus, when the fuel pump is displayed on the screen, you should pump up ASAP. Why do you still need to know exact "miles to empty" at that moment anyway?

It is a good habit to pump up when it has less than 1/4 reserve left. I think running out of fuel time and time again is real dumb.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Actually...when the fuel pump is displayed on the screen, you should have 2 and a half gallons till empty. I've driven 50 miles with that sign displayed.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
From what I can understand, it seems you don't care for the elevating alert logic of the fuel gauge. When fuel drops sufficiently, the warning light illuminates, the cluster indicates Reserve Fuel, and the Miles-To-Empty readout remains available. At the point when high accuracy for infinitesimal amounts of fuel is no longer feasible, the alert is heightened and a potentially erroneous projection is no longer provided. By this time, you have observed a dropping needle on the gauge, a reserve fuel illuminated icon, and a small number of Miles To Empty in the cluster.

Where do you travel such that you are not able to fill the tank sooner?
Old 11-30-2010, 02:50 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 C43
"Can I get $5 of regular please, thanks.."
Old 11-30-2010, 02:53 PM

i donno it happens, sometime i just have to drive out of the city and back and not always have the time and chance to put fuel

yes, its not a good habit to get in this situation but it does happens

i dont care if its off by few mills but showing that sign is really useless

in my E class and my bmw i had it counting to 0, like it should

i dont need that sign, thats what the fuel light is for

=\
Old 11-30-2010, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by blue00r6
5$ will get u 2 liters where i live

Old 11-30-2010, 03:40 PM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
Originally Posted by -Reno-
in my E class and my bmw i had it counting to 0, like it should
Are you the same "Reno" on E46Fanatics?
Old 11-30-2010, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Why would you put regular into your car?
Old 11-30-2010, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by IGB
yes
Old 11-30-2010, 04:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by I am Jeff
Actually...when the fuel pump is displayed on the screen, you should have 2 and a half gallons till empty. I've driven 50 miles with that sign displayed.
From my experience I don't think it's that much fuel left when the fuel pump picture is displayed. In my car I usually have about 1.5 gallons left or less. I tend to drive no more than 10 miles when that pic shows up. My "miles till empty" guage appears to be very accurate and I trust it quite a bit but I appreciate the fuel pump pic because when fuel level is near one gallon it is very difficult for any guage to accurately tell you how much further till you are stranded...
Old 11-30-2010, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by MBnewby
From my experience I don't think it's that much fuel left when the fuel pump picture is displayed. In my car I usually have about 1.5 gallons left or less. I tend to drive no more than 10 miles when that pic shows up. My "miles till empty" guage appears to be very accurate and I trust it quite a bit but I appreciate the fuel pump pic because when fuel level is near one gallon it is very difficult for any guage to accurately tell you how much further till you are stranded...
+1. If BMW shows a glide slope decreasing value all the way to 0, it is lulling the driver into a false sense of security. It will not be accurate. MB's apparent philosophy is to not provide information if it is not reliably accurate, and presume the 4 earlier warnings will suffice.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
I actually like how the car just says fuel up. What is the point of having a count down to 0 miles to empty... It would be too late to get fuel at that point wouldn't it? And if it still drove after 0 mile display shown, well, that isn't very accurate now is it?

The Mercedes system tries to prevent people from driving with minimal fuel in the tank - which shouldn't be done and is a bad habit. Instead of making you think do I have enough gas or not, it draws it out plain and simple for you -- get some gas! I would rather that then getting pissed if I get stuck with a 5 mile to empty display on the dash. After all, it is just an estimate...

And to those criticizing the guy saying "can I get $5 regular" I believe he was just mocking the OP and said something that he probably tells the gas attendant. Haha. I never understand why people never fill up their car. My father never fills his Escalade, always puts $50 premium in (which is about 3/4 tank from near empty). That means he has to drive back to the station and fill up more frequently... I just don't get it.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:17 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Matterafact, when I was a kid and broke I'd put in a dollar's worth but then gas was cheapish at the time.

I refill by mileage and the gauge. Given the history of MB's fuel tank senders, I sure wouldn't wait for the low fuel light.

Women do that a lot, though.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:33 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Self

Originally Posted by jctevere

And to those criticizing the guy saying "can I get $5 regular" I believe he was just mocking the OP and said something that he probably tells the gas attendant. . I just don't get it.
The gas attendant? You must live in Oregon or New Jersey where drivers are deemed to be too stupid to pump their own gas.

I never allow anyone to fill my tank, not that it would happen anyway since all stations in Washington are self service and I never gas up in Oregon. Too much chance of damage, having been there myself with a brand new car.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:36 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Squeeek

Originally Posted by I am Jeff
Why would you put regular into your car?
That was clearly humor although there are some cheapskates here who use regular.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:45 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Running on fumes

Originally Posted by -Reno-
i donno it happens, sometime i just have to drive out of the city and back and not always have the time and chance to put fuel

yes, its not a good habit to get in this situation but it does happens

=\
The other thing is that you never know when you are going to stuck in traffic for an unknown time.

Just last week we had 12 deg temps and a lot of snow and hundreds of cars were stuck on the Interstate for 8-10 hours with no way to get off.

Quite some time ago we had a forecast of snow the following afternoon so I filled my tank, put on my winter tires and threw some warm clothes in the trunk. Sure enough, my usual 30 minute commute home took five hours, the first four being on I-5 for two miles until I could get off. That was in my 190E 2.6.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by RLE
The other thing is that you never know when you are going to stuck in traffic for an unknown time.

Just last week we had 12 deg temps and a lot of snow and hundreds of cars were stuck on the Interstate for 8-10 hours with no way to get off.

Quite some time ago we had a forecast of snow the following afternoon so I filled my tank, put on my winter tires and threw some warm clothes in the trunk. Sure enough, my usual 30 minute commute home took five hours, the first four being on I-5 for two miles until I could get off. That was in my 190E 2.6.
+1

I consider half as "Reserve", and 1/4 as "E", except for twice a year when I do a "Techron run" to the low fuel warning lamp.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
'17 GTR, '17 GLC43, '14 Panigale 899, '20 V4
Originally Posted by IGB

I cant even respond to this. Fuel consumption varies by how you drive. It is an ESTIMATION. AND cannot be properly estimated when the fuel level gets to a certain low level. It might tell you that you have 10 miles left and then because you are in stop and go traffic or highway or you shut off the car and restart it (which uses some fuel). The variability is too great. I want to know the dumb engineer who actually thought they could calculate accurately to zero in the bimmer.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:54 PM

i know exactly how it works and it is accurate if you know how to look on it

if it can calculate with half tank it can do it to 0 too

just like the way it work on other mercedes models too as well as in the bmw

and im not talking about from 0 to actually empty..

it show up when u get to about 20 mills left (30~km)

and yea, i got into 1 hour traffic jam today when i had 30km to get home and about 50 mills left on a flat road in constant speed (60mph)

with these conditions it should be accurate even to 0

but then i got into the traffic jam millage went down and this stupid pic showed up

at that point i had no idea if im gonna get home
Old 11-30-2010, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Reason for the fuel pump in the tank is that the fuel helps to cool the pump. You let it go too low and you can shorten the life of the pump. Whatever floats your boat.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by mr inkredibul
I cant even respond to this. Fuel consumption varies by how you drive. It is an ESTIMATION. AND cannot be properly estimated when the fuel level gets to a certain low level. It might tell you that you have 10 miles left and then because you are in stop and go traffic or highway or you shut off the car and restart it (which uses some fuel). The variability is too great. I want to know the dumb engineer who actually thought they could calculate accurately to zero in the bimmer.
check if the dumb engineer that put it in the E class knows him..
Old 11-30-2010, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300 Sport, 2010 RX350 AWD
this thread is really stupid..there is no way your onboard computer can tell you exactly how many more miles you can drive before you are out of the fuel..
what it can tell you is ONCE THE LOW FUEL WARNING SHOWS UP, YOU HAVE ABOUT 2-2.5 GALLON OF GAS LEFT..
it's as simple as that..
you should be able to determine how much longer you can drive the car base on your driving condition..

if you don't believe me, do your own math, get your car filled up as soon as the low fuel warning is on and i am sure you will be filling about 14.5 to 15 gallon
Old 11-30-2010, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
'17 GTR, '17 GLC43, '14 Panigale 899, '20 V4
Unsubscribed
Old 12-01-2010, 04:44 AM

ok maybe im missing something

you say it cannot calculate on low fuel level

so someone explain please whats the difference for the car between calculating on 1/4 tank (im guessing its 20 liter, which it can and it will tell u how many u have left) and calculating on the last 10 liters/2.3-3 galons

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ok this is too fkn annoying - fuel count