C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

My fisrt scratch :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
My fisrt scratch :(

Hi all,

I just discovered my first scratch! I'm somewhere between wanting to kill someone and breaking down and crying. It's a small 3 inch scratch on the rear door left by another car door.

My question is, does anyone know a good way to get it out? I really don't want to go to a dealer and pay a ton of money. What products can I use and how?

Thanks in advance. Hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sure hope you really don't kill anyone or cry because of a scratch; as time passes, your beauty is gonna have a few more of them, whether it be by accident or haters.

But with that being said, do you have any pictures of the scratch? How deep is it? If it goes all the way to the metal, you may have a little bit more trouble on your hands. Otherwise, minor paint scratches are relatively easy to fix; and if done right, you won't notice it at all unless you look REAL hard. Better question: did paint from the other car go onto YOUR car? If so, that's the best case scenario! scratch that **** off, polish it and you're good to go!
Old 04-20-2011, 09:30 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by thepinoc
I sure hope you really don't kill anyone or cry because of a scratch; as time passes, your beauty is gonna have a few more of them, whether it be by accident or haters.

But with that being said, do you have any pictures of the scratch? How deep is it? If it goes all the way to the metal, you may have a little bit more trouble on your hands. Otherwise, minor paint scratches are relatively easy to fix; and if done right, you won't notice it at all unless you look REAL hard. Better question: did paint from the other car go onto YOUR car? If so, that's the best case scenario! scratch that **** off, polish it and you're good to go!

Luckily, it's not deep. I attached a picture. I think it'll rub off, I just wanted to make sure I use the right stuff and techinque to do so.

The scratch is about 3 inches.
Attached Thumbnails My fisrt scratch :(-2011-04-20-18.29.13.jpg  
Old 04-20-2011, 09:40 PM

2011 C300
what color is the car? black?
Old 04-20-2011, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
It happens, just think of it as a sign of your car maturing. Oh hell just cry.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:38 PM

Mercedes Benz C300 Sport
Originally Posted by jl9j
Luckily, it's not deep. I attached a picture. I think it'll rub off, I just wanted to make sure I use the right stuff and techinque to do so.

The scratch is about 3 inches.
It doesn't look like it has any dings on your door... just a scratch looking at this angle

I have used Dr. colorchip on my '08 C300... works well on minor scratches due to road debris and such. It's always nice to have a bottle handy just in case you encounter mild to moderate scratches in the future.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
that looks like it will come right off with a good scratch remover.

I use mother's scratch remover.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:30 AM

w204 - 350 N other white cars
sorry to hear about your incident. you'll live with those scratches. i am sure alot of us feel your emotions. I wish mine was like yours. good luck
Old 04-21-2011, 07:54 AM

2009 C63 AMG
Thanks all,

I'm going to get a scratch remover and try it. It's not a deep wound so I'm sure I'll be fine.

If the scratch went through the clear coat, is there a way to reapply it in that area or does the scratch remover take care of that?
Old 04-21-2011, 08:22 AM

2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
Originally Posted by jl9j
Hi all,

I just discovered my first scratch! I'm somewhere between wanting to kill someone and breaking down and crying. It's a small 3 inch scratch on the rear door left by another car door.

My question is, does anyone know a good way to get it out? I really don't want to go to a dealer and pay a ton of money. What products can I use and how?

Thanks in advance. Hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.
Don't sweat it; that one is easy to get out. I had some asshat in an Escalade fling its driver side door into my passanger side door leaving some pretty bad scratches and I managed to get them out. After doing some research I used Quixx Paint Scratch Remover (http://www.amazon.com/Quixx-00070-US...3388348&sr=1-1) and it worked amazing. I posted some pictures of before and after here: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-lazy-guy.html
Old 04-21-2011, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by joshg1001
that looks like it will come right off with a good scratch remover.

I use mother's scratch remover.
Agreed. I've used this product before & it worked just fine. And my scratch was a bit bigger than the OP's.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:13 PM

99' Toyota Corolla
if you kill someone while you are crying, they will be quite confused. a pro could take that right out for you, but try some scratch-x before you grab an axe and go on a tearful rampage
Old 04-21-2011, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
Try Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. Use it with a foam applicator (more gentle than microfiber applicator). Try several applications. This is one of the strongest consumer Meguiar's products. Stronger than Scratch X or Swirl X, but safe unless you use a dirty harsh rag or something to apply it.

If it doesn't budge, you'd have to have it fixed with paint obviously at a shop.

Unlike what others say, I think it's natural to be very upset when this happens. Feeling sad about it for a day or two is not unusual. It's your car that you care about, and someone was an idiot and hurt it.

Over time, I suspect and hope you'll feel better.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:18 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by mac911
Try Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. Use it with a foam applicator (more gentle than microfiber applicator). Try several applications. This is one of the strongest consumer Meguiar's products. Stronger than Scratch X or Swirl X, but safe unless you use a dirty harsh rag or something to apply it.

If it doesn't budge, you'd have to have it fixed with paint obviously at a shop.

Unlike what others say, I think it's natural to be very upset when this happens. Feeling sad about it for a day or two is not unusual. It's your car that you care about, and someone was an idiot and hurt it.

Over time, I suspect and hope you'll feel better.
Thanks. I d feel better now but at the time I was really mad. Guess that happens with your first scratch.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:37 PM

2009 C63 AMG
While I had the Quixx on order, I got a 3M product which did not work at all. I'va also noticed that the sratch is actually deep. I'm not sure how thick the clear coat is, but I'm sure it's nicked the paint. Should I go to a dealer?
Old 12-30-2011, 09:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 E300 4MATIC Sedan
LaicepsYdobon,

Thanks so much for the great post ! I noticed a nice new scratch on the hood of my car in the garage last night and it's been bothering me ever since. Did some web research today and found out about Quixx. I was hesitant, but I did a search here on the forum and read your post and figured I would give it a shot. Went and picked up the Quixx at Walmart and I just got done doing the repair. What amazing results ! I honestly cannot even tell where the scratch was now. Thanks for the review, you gave me the courage to fix it myself...

Nick
Old 12-31-2011, 08:17 AM

Saab 900 SE
Just saying, that looks like a door edge wipe/scratch. I try to prevent that stuff, here are a few tips (especially if you felt it warrented a thread on here)

1. Park away from other cars
2. Park as centered in a spot as you can
3. Park near cars with short doors (think 4 doors and small cars) VS coupes and suvs where people throw open larger heavier doors
4. Try to park with a curb at 1 side or the end of a row
5. Avoid parking next to steriotypical old fart barges, they dont notice when they do it, and will always hit your car

Also that could be topical, it could also have gone in the paint a bit, depends, obvs a ligth color car hit you. I use laquer thinner to remove the paint scuff, and see whats under and use compounds on that.

We did it all the time at my old Land Rover dealer, worked on every car from black to red to white. Also sometimes compounds wont pull it out if the scratches are of any significance in depth

Also the dealer will do the same thing that you can do without the add in dealer charge, call a local mobile paint repair guy, thats exactly who the dealer will call.

Also your going a bit over board with this, if your this **** about the scratch, the only proper way to fix it is to bring it into a paint shop and have it repaired in a paint booth by a pro. No compound, or quick outdoor paint repair will surfice if the scratch bugs you that much, because outdoor mobile painters always manage to get overspray and dust ect in the paint when doing the repair, but thats why they are cheap. You need to decide how much this 3" scratch actually matters and how much its really worth to repair it.

Last edited by AdidasC230; 12-31-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 180 Likes on 146 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
That will buff out easily with Maquiar's Scratch X or similar. Any detail dept could buff it out. If it is through the clear coat then airbrush spot repair with the Glasurit system will fix it perfectly & you will never see it.

Even if there is a slight dent & it needs paint - Dent Magic in SA would fix that for under $50 in under one hour & a plant inspection light shop would not detect it. They do it on new Mercs with delivery damage all the time.

Good luck
Old 12-31-2011, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by AdidasC230
Just saying, that looks like a door edge wipe/scratch. I try to prevent that stuff, here are a few tips (especially if you felt it warrented a thread on here)

1. Park away from other cars
2. Park as centered in a spot as you can
3. Park near cars with short doors (think 4 doors and small cars) VS coupes and suvs where people throw open larger heavier doors
4. Try to park with a curb at 1 side or the end of a row
5. Avoid parking next to steriotypical old fart barges, they dont notice when they do it, and will always hit your car

Also that could be topical, it could also have gone in the paint a bit, depends, obvs a ligth color car hit you. I use laquer thinner to remove the paint scuff, and see whats under and use compounds on that.

We did it all the time at my old Land Rover dealer, worked on every car from black to red to white. Also sometimes compounds wont pull it out if the scratches are of any significance in depth

Also the dealer will do the same thing that you can do without the add in dealer charge, call a local mobile paint repair guy, thats exactly who the dealer will call.

Also your going a bit over board with this, if your this **** about the scratch, the only proper way to fix it is to bring it into a paint shop and have it repaired in a paint booth by a pro. No compound, or quick outdoor paint repair will surfice if the scratch bugs you that much, because outdoor mobile painters always manage to get overspray and dust ect in the paint when doing the repair, but thats why they are cheap. You need to decide how much this 3" scratch actually matters and how much its really worth to repair it.
"Also the dealer will do the same thing that you can do without the add in dealer charge, call a local mobile paint repair guy, thats exactly who the dealer will call."

That is just what I was gonna suggest, also good tips in your post.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
Well, sorry I'm late, but if the scratch is through the clear coat, just touch it up with clear only, no color. The scratch will literally disappear especially if you go and buy a "000" brush at your local art supply store. Since you used polish, go buy some pure Naphtha at you local hardware store and lean out the scratch of all oils, polishes and waxes with a Q-tip before applying clear coat with your ))) tipped paint brush.