C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Steering pulling opposite way

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c200
Steering pulling opposite way

Hi my names Shannon im new to the forum,I have seen this on another post put no one put up how they fixed the problem i have just got my self a c220 and have the same problem as below,any help would be great thankyou,If you have found this problem or had similar please share the light when i got this was told just a bent wheel or tyre but had them looked at and all ok,car was sold as seen so no going back,I just feel in the ice wet its gonna be dangerous.....

Ive noticed that my steering sort of jabs in the opposite direction while turning.

So for example while turning right into my driveway or at even a slight bend at high speeds (on the highway for example), my steering wheel tries applies force in the opposite direction (left). Its not a constant pull...pulls then if I hold it steady it goes back to normal, then pulls again and back to normal.

Im guessing this has something to do with the power steering system, but anyone have any clue?
Old 05-17-2011, 04:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
w204 C300
I would start by checking power steering fluid levels. Then posibbly have the hood open and turn the wheel back and forth and have someone listen for any strange noises of stress on the system. Sorry I couldn't be of more help I am new at Merc products and their problems.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:06 PM

c200
Just went into the garrage and looked and there is no power steering fluid on the dipstick,but when u tap or shake the bottle you can see powersteering fluid in the botom,i dont no how to fill it up as just looked online and they said about two different types ? Thanks for your help
Old 05-17-2011, 06:11 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by x.x-shannon-x.x
Just went into the garrage and looked and there is no power steering fluid on the dipstick,but when u tap or shake the bottle you can see powersteering fluid in the botom,i dont no how to fill it up as just looked online and they said about two different types ? Thanks for your help
You have found the cause of the problem. No fluid to pump, therefore no boost.

The question is, where is the fluid going?
Old 05-17-2011, 06:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300
when you've parked the car for the day the next morning check for any fluid leaks under the car. If you don't see any fluid or see a small amount then you'll need to add the proper fluid back in the reservoir (can be found int he owners manual). That's just the solution but as RLE is implying, you'll want to find the cause before going forward to the solution or you'll just end up back where you started.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
There was a recall. A number of cars leak at the banjo bolt from the flexible/solid combo tube to the rack. Undertorqued in assembly.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:08 PM

c200
Hiya again I got my self the right power steering fluid from mercedes today filled it to the max level,got it put on axel stands steering all the way left and all the way right...

But still the same,but when turning full lock i get a grinding noise sounds like its coming from the power steering pump then when pulling the other way it stops till i get to full lock again,there is a pipe that comes off the powersteering filling tank and when turning goes really hard then lets off dont no if this is normal,but what could this be still ??
Old 05-19-2011, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
When the power steering is at full lock there will be a fluid throttling noise( Ssshhhishhing noise ! ) as the relief valve opens . This is normal.

Have you removed the plastic cover under your engine to view for power steering fluid leaks?
Old 05-19-2011, 04:35 PM

c200
No i havent but i have filled up and its still trying to pul the other way,i filled up took it for a drive it was still doing the same this and when i got back the powersteering fluid was still at the same level
Old 05-19-2011, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Bleed the steering properly. See method below. Otherwise you have a damaged valve somewhere in the system.
Attached Files