C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Tire Feathering-Is it Natural?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Tire Feathering-Is it Natural?

I have a slight feathering issue in my tires - it makes "um .. um ... um"-like noise.
And talked with MB Dealer only to hear that it is natural ... He said that slight feathering could occur even without any alignment matter.

When I just asked if I have to do alignment after replacing all tires, he was negative. Mines are Michelin stock tires - Pilot HX MXM4 (staggered).

I am curious if those unpleasant noises are real natural consequence caused by certain irregular contact to the road.

All I can do to escape from this noise world is to replace tires? Give me any words. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C300 Sport 4MATIC™ Sedan
How many mile on yr tire?
Same happen on mah
Old 07-08-2011, 02:16 PM

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/405753-new-tire-suggest.html
Old 07-08-2011, 04:07 PM

2009 C300 Sport 4MATIC
No answer .... lol

Originally Posted by dansonchan
Actually, I've read your thread before writing this post. Your thread was helpful but no straight answer to my question either.

My tires are close to 50K miles but still have good threads. I called Michelin to see what they can do but they asked me to re-inspect my tires to prove that the feathering was caused by tire defect, not alignment issue or something else. I asked my dealer's cooperation but they did not.

I think ... to prove what cause is, I need to check alignment before replacing tires OR the dealer should kindly test drive after replacing the tires.

I decided it is too complicated and painful so made up my minds to go with replacing tire option. I plan to go with Conti DSW. Don't know Michelin is worth several bucks more.

Good luck .... I know your pains ... It drives me nut actually whenever on the highway. Jesus.....
Old 07-08-2011, 04:14 PM
PGT

2014 E550 4Matic with P1/LED/Pano
I put new Conti DWS on my C207 E Coupe in November. When I took the winter wheels off in April (approx 5k miles), they were badly feathered. This, on a car less than a year old. I had the alignment done at the 11k mile service visit.

I've never had these issues on other cars. The C207 shares is chassis with the W204 so perhaps there is something inherent in the design.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by PGT
I've never had these issues on other cars. The C207 shares is chassis with the W204 so perhaps there is something inherent in the design.
It is becomming apparent from the number of complaints about tyre cupping that the W204 C class is prone to tyre feathering/ cupping/scalloping.

My OEM tyres suffered the same fate.

I am definitely going to rotate my Michelin Primacy HP's every 10,000 Km.( corner to corner).

No other car in 47 years of driving has cupped tyres even without rotating.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Tire Feathering Prevention

Wide, low profile tires are very prone to feathering, especially fronts, even with good alignment.

The outer ring of tread blocks wear more on the rolling back edge, vs leading edge. The effect is like subtle saw teeth around the outer edge of tire. So, on tire top: _/|_/|_/|_/|_/|_/|_

If you run your hand lightly over the outer band of tread blocks, front to back, it will feel rough. Likewise back to front feels smooth. Remember "rough-back" like rough-neck (oil rig worker) for feathering.

You should rotate tires every oil 5-10K miles. This reverses tire rotation direction and reverses the feathering process. For staggerd tires, go side-to-side. For non-staggered, do an X-rotation, but if fronts start to feather, switch to side-to-side rotation until feathering is removed.

At 50K miles and still good tread, I doubt you have an alignment problem.

Last edited by kevink2; 07-08-2011 at 10:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tekfoc (07-17-2017)
Old 07-08-2011, 08:54 PM

Should I just replace two DWS tire and on the rear or I need to replace all DWS tire??
Old 07-09-2011, 11:32 PM

2009 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Originally Posted by kevink2
Wide, low profile tires are very prone to feathering, especially fronts, even with good alignment.

The outer ring of tread blocks wear more on the rolling back edge, vs leading edge. The effect is like subtle saw teeth around the outer edge of tire. So, on tire top: _/|_/|_/|_/|_/|_/|_

If you run your hand lightly over the outer band of tread blocks, front to back, it will feel rough. Likewise back to front feels smooth. Remember "rough-back" like rough-neck (oil rig worker) for feathering.

You should rotate tires every oil 5-10K miles. This reverses tire rotation direction and reverses the feathering process. For staggerd tires, go side-to-side. For non-staggered, do an X-rotation, but if fronts start to feather, switch to side-to-side rotation until feathering is removed.

At 50K miles and still good tread, I doubt you have an alignment problem.

Thank you for your advice. I will regulary rotate tires (side-to-side rotation) when getting new ones. I have been advised that staggered does not need tire rotation. Side-to-Side is a good idea.

I hope all get some tips through this thread to solve this unpleasant situation.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:14 PM

none
Wow, i am glad i am not the only one with this issue!
i own a 2010 c -300 sport, staggered with michelins set up!
Bought the car a Benz dealer courtesy vehicle,with 11,000 miles on it now at 41,000 !
Tires are actually have lots of thread on them, no uneven wear, but that noise in the back, a combination of bad wheel bearings howling and air turbulence is extremely annoying!
About a year an half ago the dealer did road force balance and wheel alingment but, same issue!
So, Kevin, you claim cupping and feathering are 2 different issues ??
Also, you can only rotate side to side if you do not have directional tires !!
What is your expierience in this field, and what tires do your reccomend ?
From the research that i have doing, the Michelins are a very stiff tough tire, so the combination of factory lowered stiff suspension, the tires,there is a bounce, per say,on and off and that contributes i think to this problem!
A couple of loaners from the dealer with the contis that i used, did not have this sound and they are much softer then the michelins!!
I am leaning toward the Proxes 4 plus but...i do not if they are directionals!
Thanks for your help!
Old 03-20-2013, 09:28 PM

none
Ethan form tirerack, reccomends to use non directional tires, and to go with conti pro contacts !
They are an all season touring tire!
I think it will make the car quiter because smaller less agressive sipes but....what about water and snow evacuation ?
Still though,,,,no one has the specific answer to feathering !!!!
I spent hours researching, all kinds of forums,audi,bimmer,nissan,chevy, e.t.c ...no one can explain the direct cause of feathering, why ??
nissan had horrid issues in the early 2000s, and they redisigned to fix !
Mercedes has had the issue for a while now it looks, from all the forum exchange here and a lot of us, due to lack of knowledge assumed its just tire noise or bad tires or design but ....all along it is feathering !!!
If it was not for Kevin, i would had never known what to look for !!
Will keep searching!
Old 03-21-2013, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by merc lover
....So, Kevin, you claim cupping and feathering are 2 different issues ??
Yes, cupping is more from unbalance, and feathering I explained above. Google "tire wear" and look for images.

Also, you can only rotate side to side if you do not have directional tires !!What is your expierience in this field, and what tires do your reccomend ?
From the research that i have doing, the Michelins are a very stiff tough tire, so the combination of factory lowered stiff suspension, the tires,there is a bounce, per say,on and off and that contributes i think to this problem!
Many members had good performance with the michelins, and with cross rotation they stay quiet.

A couple of loaners from the dealer with the contis that i used, did not have this sound and they are much softer then the michelins!!
I am leaning toward the Proxes 4 plus but...i do not if they are directionals!
Thanks for your help!
Members were not as fond of the conti's. All I can say is stay away from the directional tires. Some summer tires, with a long, symetrical V tread pattern are very directional but stay quiet.

Please let us know more about your car and where you live:

______________ *** All Members, New and some Old *** _______________

please click on User CP at the top left of page, just below the thread title. Then add the following to either Profile and/or Signature , selecting buttons on the left side of that page:

year, model, if it's a diesel, Sport or Lux, 4MATIC or RWD, Location (city & state), and non-US country if applicable.

This helps others respond to issues, like tires, spring options, part sales, etc. Thanx

Old 07-15-2017, 06:14 PM

c300 4matic
Hello, I have a 2011 c300 sport 4matic with the staggered set up. I have cupping on the right rear I assume that everyone who is experiencing this issue is having it happen in the rear. I have conti dws06 extreme contact on my car and yes they are all weather and directional and I just want to know what I should do because I cannot take the noise it is driving me crazy! and I drive 50 miles one way to work, in the morning it is not that bad but in the evenings when I come home My Radio is not blasting so I can hear it, mind you this is all highway miles. I am about to buy another set for my rear and take it to Mercedes and have them mount them and balance them as well. I have had my alignment done and the balancing done but not with the previous set, So now I am looking to hold someone accountable if this doesn't work lol! but I am going to have them put them on. BUT I NEED TO KNOW IF I BUY SOME 18inch amg rims will the noise go away or????????
Old 07-17-2017, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2013 C250 Sport
Originally Posted by craiger13
Hello, I have a 2011 c300 sport 4matic with the staggered set up. I have cupping on the right rear I assume that everyone who is experiencing this issue is having it happen in the rear. I have conti dws06 extreme contact on my car and yes they are all weather and directional and I just want to know what I should do because I cannot take the noise it is driving me crazy! and I drive 50 miles one way to work, in the morning it is not that bad but in the evenings when I come home My Radio is not blasting so I can hear it, mind you this is all highway miles. I am about to buy another set for my rear and take it to Mercedes and have them mount them and balance them as well. I have had my alignment done and the balancing done but not with the previous set, So now I am looking to hold someone accountable if this doesn't work lol! but I am going to have them put them on. BUT I NEED TO KNOW IF I BUY SOME 18inch amg rims will the noise go away or????????
Old thread bump. I switched over to Pilot Super Sports and have been very happy with them. Despite being high performance summer tires the tread wear has been great.

I had oscillations that were driving me absolutely nuts on the OEM tires.