C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Audio 20 Aux Boost Feature

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 09:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C300 Sport
Question Audio 20 Aux Boost Feature

Does anyone know if the firmware upgrade to add the aux input audio boost feature to pre-2010 Audio 20 headunits can be self completed? I have been pressing my dealer for 4 mos and he finally agreed to do it but when I picked up my car it did not have the boost feature. He claims it has been updated to the newest firmware (released July 2011) and perhaps this feature is not available for my model year Audio 20 headunit. I know that it is not true as one or more members have had this feature implemented with the firmware upgrade. For those members who were lucky enought to get this done what is the firmware upgrade the dealer completed and how were you able to get the dealer to do it?
The following users liked this post:
shih1919 (11-13-2019)
Old 07-19-2011, 05:55 PM

2013 C300 Sport
I HAVE PREVAILED! For those of you who want to have their firmware/software in a pre-2010 W204 Audio 20 HU upgraded to have the Aux Volume Boost feature do not give up. After much persistance over the last 6 months I finally was able to get another dealership to complete it for me. The whole process took slightly under 2 hrs and there is a difference to have the boost feature. The position one needs to take with the dealership is is that there is a defect in the Aux feature whereas the volume for the Aux input is dramatically lower than that of the radio & cd player. Tell the dealership that this is a major problem as everytime you switch from the Aux input to radio or cd the volume is set so high to enable proper volume for the Aux input that it blasts into your kids (or parents) ears sitting in the back seat. Of course the dealership will tell you to turn down your volume before switching to the other inputs from the Aux mode but just reply that this is an inconvenient constant reminder in process and one is not able to always remember. Tell them for a high end luxury automobile this is not acceptable and there must be something that can be done to correct this defect. They will try to sell you the ipod connection and the extra line amp but do not accept it. Tell them that you have read on a few MB forums of the firmware/software upgrade for the pre-2010 Audio 20 HU that will add the feature of the Volume Boost in Aux mode found in post 2010 models to correct this inconvenience. Be persistant about it and they will prevail. If your dealership does not then go to another dealership and tell them that you fell into bad terms with your dealership service department because they failed to correct a problem with the audio system and you are looking to service your vehicle with a new dealership. One way or another someone will service you properly.

Last edited by ICON 1; 07-19-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 MB C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by ICON 1
I HAVE PREVAILED! For those of you who want to have their firmware/software in a pre-2010 W204 Audio 20 HU upgraded to have the Aux Volume Boost feature do not give up. After much persistance over the last 6 months I finally was able to get another dealership to complete it for me. The whole process took slightly under 2 hrs and there is a difference to have the boost feature. The position one needs to take with the dealership is is that there is a defect in the Aux feature whereas the volume for the Aux input is dramatically lower than that of the radio & cd player. Tell the dealership that this is a major problem as everytime you switch from the Aux input to radio or cd the volume is set so high to enable proper volume for the Aux input that it blasts into your kids (or parents) ears sitting in the back seat. Of course the dealership will tell you to turn down your volume before switching to the other inputs from the Aux mode but just reply that this is an inconvenient constant reminder in process and one is not able to always remember. Tell them for a high end luxury automobile this is not acceptable and there must be something that can be done to correct this defect. They will try to sell you the ipod connection and the extra line amp but do not accept it. Tell them that you have read on a few MB forums of the firmware/software upgrade for the pre-2010 Audio 20 HU that will add the feature of the Volume Boost in Aux mode found in post 2010 models to correct this inconvenience. Be persistant about it and they will prevail. If your dealership does not then go to another dealership and tell them that you fell into bad terms with your dealership service department because they failed to correct a problem with the audio system and you are looking to service your vehicle with a new dealership. One way or another someone will service you properly.
Icon 1,

I had an interesting experience today dropping off my 2009 W204 to the dealership to have the Audio 20 firmware/software update.

I will give them credit they were the only MB dealership in my area that actually had any clue as to what I was talking about.

They told me the "Boost upgrade" included installing the Ipod inline amp for free under warranty which is great. I told them to make sure it was the German made part and they assured me it would be.

The interesting part is when I asked about getting the UMI installed they said you can't do both. They said the UMI installation would make the Boost upgrade obsolete because it "bypasses everything". I asked exactly what that meant and he said he could have the tech call me back and explain in further detail...I said OK....didn't hear back from him the rest of the afternoon.

But basically he was saying that the UMI somehow includes a boost feature built in and thus the Audio 20 upgrade would just be overkill. Dont' know how I feel about that answer since the Boost feature is designed to fix the AUX port and the UMI is hooked up through the AUX port.

Seems a little fishy to me but I will have to research it further before I officially call BS. He seemed confident that the UMI's interface with the Audio 20 head unit eliminates the need for the upgrade though.

Lastly, when I asked how long the UMI install would take out of curiousity, he said about 5-6 hours! At $125.00/hr that seems like a long time! Does anyone on the forum have any experience with the UMI install and how long it should take? I'm always curious to see which techs know their stuff and which are full of *****. Ha!

As always any input would be appreciated...

Thanks,

KC
Old 08-16-2011, 10:26 PM

2013 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by kcanard
Icon 1,

I had an interesting experience today dropping off my 2009 W204 to the dealership to have the Audio 20 firmware/software update.

I will give them credit they were the only MB dealership in my area that actually had any clue as to what I was talking about.

They told me the "Boost upgrade" included installing the Ipod inline amp for free under warranty which is great. I told them to make sure it was the German made part and they assured me it would be.

The interesting part is when I asked about getting the UMI installed they said you can't do both. They said the UMI installation would make the Boost upgrade obsolete because it "bypasses everything". I asked exactly what that meant and he said he could have the tech call me back and explain in further detail...I said OK....didn't hear back from him the rest of the afternoon.

But basically he was saying that the UMI somehow includes a boost feature built in and thus the Audio 20 upgrade would just be overkill. Dont' know how I feel about that answer since the Boost feature is designed to fix the AUX port and the UMI is hooked up through the AUX port.

Seems a little fishy to me but I will have to research it further before I officially call BS. He seemed confident that the UMI's interface with the Audio 20 head unit eliminates the need for the upgrade though.

Lastly, when I asked how long the UMI install would take out of curiousity, he said about 5-6 hours! At $125.00/hr that seems like a long time! Does anyone on the forum have any experience with the UMI install and how long it should take? I'm always curious to see which techs know their stuff and which are full of *****. Ha!

As always any input would be appreciated...

Thanks,

KC
Not to give you the wrong info but I'm not sure what you are referring to regarding the UMI. If it is the ipod connection inline amp I am afraid I can't properly comment as I do not have the iPod connection in my W204. The dealer did try to sell me the hardware for the iPod connection and the inline amp for it but I did not want to spend the high price they charged for it. I am quite happy with the software upgrade and the additional 6 decibals of loudness that the software provided for the Aux input.

As I also did not want to keep my iPhone in the glovebox with the Aux input I was able to snake the 3.5mm line from the glove box to the back of the center dash console and up through the bottom of the ashtray (removed ashtray and drilled a small hole and pull the 3.5mm line through). I found a great low profile very versatile iPhone/iPod mount and installed it (via very strong self stick mounting disc and locking suction cup) on the side of the center console closest to the ashtray. The mount is able to turn 360 degrees thus allowing usage in portrait and landscape mode. When not in use I simple tuck away the 3.5mm cable into the ashtray and close the door.

Last edited by ICON 1; 08-16-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:36 PM

2009 MB C300 4Matic Sport
Icon 1,

FYI, I do have the Ipod integration kit hooked up to my AUX port. Basically the dealership service rep did some research and told me that if I chose to update the software of the Audio 20 system (which also includes an inline amp for the Ipod integration kit... all free under warranty) that the UMI cannot be installed without first uninstalling the Ipod inline amp AND the Audio 20 Boost software upgrade. The Ipod integration kit came installed on my car but with no inline amp or Boost feature. Boost feature was included standard in all post 2009 models from what I understand.

I have a UMI new in the box that I picked up a few weeks back for a great deal. Problem is they want to charge me as much for labor to install it as I actually paid for it. I've ready plenty of posts from others that were charged a flat fee of $400.00 for the labor to install the UMI. More specifically Vic Viper (who is a MB technician) posted that he has personally done 10 UMI installs and can do it no problem in an hour and a half! I will keep calling other dealers until I find a reasonable price for labor/install.

Bottom line, the dealer basically says it's either/or...do the UMI install OR update the software for Audio 20 with new inline Ipod amp...but not both.

Ideally I would like to eventually replace the Ipod integration kit/inline amp/Audio 20 Boost software upgrade with the UMI because it allows you to get navigation, live traffic updates, better Ipod control via the steering wheel, USB connector, etc.

Just doesn't make sense to me that one would conflict with the other since they both utilize the AUX port and the Boost update adds more decibels to the AUX port.

Icon1...you're saying that when you did your Audio 20 software upgrade they didn't bother with the inline Ipod amp because you don't have an Ipod integration kit, right?

-KC

Last edited by kcanard; 08-18-2011 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Added new info
Old 08-17-2011, 01:59 PM

2018 E300 4MATIC Sedan
Here's my experience with the UMI install :

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...pensation.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-pictures.html

Install should only cost $400 ( original cost of the hardware was $1700 and they matched the online wholesale price of $1350 ) - I would call around to other dealers to compare install prices.

The UMI does not simply replace the AUX - it does make total sense to me that you don't need the boost / amp if you do the UMI ( the iPod interface connected to the AUX port was removed when the UMI was installed but the UMI does not utilize the AUX port )

Ask away and I'll help if I can...

Nick
Old 08-17-2011, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350
From a pure software perspective, allow me to make an analogy:

Think of the basic Audio 20 in a 2009 when it rolls off the line as Windows XP.

The boost feature, is like Windows XP Service Pack 1.

The UMI software is like Windows 7.

If you upgrade your "Windows XP" Audio 20 to "Windows 7" UMI, you can no longer install the "Windows XP SP1" booster.

One would hope that they would merge the software features from the Boost feature into UMI.

If you think of the hardware, you're right. But if you think of the software, what they're saying seems more plausible.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:13 PM

C300 Sport
i have a brand new 2011 with the UMI and my sound is def lower on the iPod vs the radio. do i have to go to the dealer to get a software update or should it already be on there??? the volume on the ipod is already on the max..
Old 08-17-2011, 04:56 PM

2018 E300 4MATIC Sedan
Press the clear / back / and round silver controller all at the same time ( this will take you into programming mode ). You will then be able to adjust the individual volume settings for the iPod, USB, and audio streaming.

Nick
Old 08-17-2011, 05:04 PM

C300 Sport
clear/back on the steering wheel or on the dash?
Old 08-17-2011, 05:12 PM

C300 Sport
nvm i know what buttons ur talking about, ill give ita try after work!
Old 08-17-2011, 05:14 PM

C300 Sport
btw, are the call buttons on the steering wheel supposed to navigate my ipod with the UMI? (i have the navigation 20 system not COMMAND). i heard they were but it isnt working.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:05 AM

2018 E300 4MATIC Sedan
You can change tracks using the buttons on the left of the steering wheel ( if you have audio displayed on the speedometer ) and change volume using the buttons on the right of the steering wheel. When I had the iPod interface ( before I installed the UMI ) I could do much more with the steering wheel buttons ( choose playlists, etc ) but I lost that when I installed the UMI since this can now be done using the silver controller wheel and the main screen.

Nick
Old 09-24-2011, 11:48 AM

2008 C230
ICON 1

are there any details you can provide me on your firmware upgrade? Information such as firmware version or service invoice code that I can give to my dealer. They have no idea what I am talking about and it is getting frustrating.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-29-2012, 05:19 PM

2008 C300 Sport
UMI, Volume adjustment for IPOD, AUX, AUDIO STREAMING, USB

Originally Posted by NickCats
Press the clear / back / and round silver controller all at the same time ( this will take you into programming mode ). You will then be able to adjust the individual volume settings for the iPod, USB, and audio streaming.

Nick
Hey NickCats thank you for the tip, Just pressed the clear/back and round silver center controller button and got into the system configurations and was able to adjust the volume of the IPOD, USB, AUDIO STREAMING AND AUX....