C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

DIY: Backup camera for 25$ (with pictures)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
DIY: Backup camera for 25$ (with pictures)

I just installed a rear view camera on a 2009 C-300 (Navi). It took me about 3 hours overall and cost me 25$ (not 250$). Here's how I did it.

First I want to thank White46, Rick Hunter and VaderSS for their posts and Mid City Engineering for their YouTube video on how to remove the Command unit. They provided me with all the info/ knowledge I needed to feel comfortable enough to attack this project.

White46: DIY: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...der-200-a.html

Rick Hunter: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...d-cyclops.html

VaderSS: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-location.html

Mid City Engineering: How to remove the Command unit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_5Fkawy-_g

I bought a camera on eBay for 4.79 (15$ shipping included) and a FAKRA ANTENNA REVERSE ADAPTER for 1.50$ (10$ shipping included). When everything was received, I was ready to go.

Camera: http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Vehicle-Rear...ht_6530wt_1163

FAKRA Cable: 02-07 BMW 3 5 SERIES AUDI VW ANTENNA REVERSE ADAPTER NW http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_670wt_1396

See attached pictures for the result of the installation:

Again, thanks for the previous posts from White46, Rick Hunter and VaderSS and to Mid City Engineering for making this project so easy and inexpensive. Who could have guessed you can install a rear view color backup camera for 25$ and a few hours.

I wish I could find & install the VIM (Vehicule in Motion) module for a similar price tag. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Backup camera for 25$ (with pictures)-video-feed.jpg   DIY: Backup camera for 25$ (with pictures)-cable-side.jpg   DIY: Backup camera for 25$ (with pictures)-cable-trunk.jpg   DIY: Backup camera for 25$ (with pictures)-wires.jpg   DIY: Backup camera for 25$ (with pictures)-closeup-back.jpg  

DIY: Backup camera for 25$ (with pictures)-closeup.jpg  
Old 07-23-2011, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C350
$25? D: Looks like I have a new mod coming up. Though I gotta say from the pictures it doesn't look very well mounted/tucked away. That's kind of a downer for me :/
Old 07-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
You might want to look at a good camera snarlingshicken. I don't want to rain on the OP parade, but we have tested MANY CMOS cameras, and posted lengthy reviews elsewhere in the forums. You only want to install a camera once because of the labor involved. Buy a good CCD camera with a GLASS lens. Don't ever install a CMOS camera. You won't find a good CCD under $100 though.
We offer the ones that Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, Audi, VW, and Lambo use at the factory. Not cheap, but not one has ever failed. Even if you don't buy one of ours, buy a good CCD with low lux, wide angle, glass lens.... you won't be disappointed a few months down the road.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Cartronics
You might want to look at a good camera snarlingshicken. I don't want to rain on the OP parade, but we have tested MANY CMOS cameras, and posted lengthy reviews elsewhere in the forums. You only want to install a camera once because of the labor involved. Buy a good CCD camera with a GLASS lens. Don't ever install a CMOS camera. You won't find a good CCD under $100 though.
We offer the ones that Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, Audi, VW, and Lambo use at the factory. Not cheap, but not one has ever failed. Even if you don't buy one of ours, buy a good CCD with low lux, wide angle, glass lens.... you won't be disappointed a few months down the road.

I have to disagree, the labor portion is spent and it would now take the OP only a few minutes to replace the camera as all video and power wires do not need to be replaced.

Good gamble IMO.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:42 AM

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
2011 C300 Sport, P1, MM, Wood, Heated FS, DIY rearview camera. 2002 QX4
We offer the ones that Mercedes, ......
Do you mean the exact camera Mercedes uses, even the exact same dimensions and mounting holes everything?

Camera installation is always on my back burner.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:23 PM

2009 C300 Luxury P1 w/Multimedia, Arctic White
Are you tied into an ignition power source or the backup light?
Old 07-23-2011, 12:40 PM

And does this camera have built-in back light (is that what we call?) that you can see well at night?
Old 07-23-2011, 01:25 PM

C300
I know it's not the best camera out there but for the price I can easily replace it many times before it cost me 100$ or more. I first wanted to see if everything worked fine and also see how it goes thru winter, ice, salt and all these nice conditions we have here in Montreal, Canada.

if the camera is disapointing over time, I'll change it for a better one. Thanks for your advice.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:31 PM

C300
Originally Posted by Ben'sBenz
Are you tied into an ignition power source or the backup light?
I first spliced the backup light cable but the power (12V) was not good/stable enough. The image was flickering, horizontal lines kept apprearing when the engine ran. Previously, when I had tested it on the lighter plug, image was just fine. I assumed it was either a cable shielding problem or a power problem. The latter was easier to fix so I tried it first and the image (video feed) became cristal clear.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:34 PM

C300
Originally Posted by C300CA
And does this camera have built-in back light (is that what we call?) that you can see well at night?
The camera doesn't have a built in light but with the car's backup light the picture is extremely clear. I almost see no difference day or night. It is a low lux camera. I am in fact surprised by the quality of the image for such a cheap cam. The image is actually clearer than in my 2005 Honda Odyssey (OEM Navi & cam)
Old 07-23-2011, 05:29 PM

Good to know it's of high quality. To me the most difficult part is to take the center vent out. Did you use MB's prying tool, or your home made tool? I tried sticking my home made tools in the small rectangular openings right above the vent and pull. It is tight I'm afraid I will break it.

Where did you start to take vent out? Thanks for any hint.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:05 PM

C300CA, I bought a dash trim removal tool from amazon for a couple of dollars, it's basically hard plastic with a flat point at the end. I just stuck it in the side between the vent and dash and it pryed right out and didn't leave a mark on either piece. I wouldn't use anything metal. You have to be firm but careful to get the vent out.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:20 PM

C300CA, I bought a dash trim removal tool from amazon for a couple of dollars, it's basically hard plastic with a flat point at the end. I just stuck it in the side between the vent and dash and it pryed right out and didn't leave a mark on either piece. I wouldn't use anything metal. You have to be firm but careful to get the vent out.
Thanks so much Ben'sBenz! I saw the Youtube movie about taking vent out. It was quick and the person's hand blocked the detailed moment this removal tool was inserted. It looks like an 1" wide blade, a little curved thing.

They say after the vent is out, the remaining is easy as they are secured by screws, correct?

Thanks again!
Old 07-23-2011, 08:42 PM

You're welcome! That's correct, removing the head unit takes just a minute or two.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:53 AM

I wonder if the self installation will void MB warranty, in the case something electric goes wrong within 4 year/60K mile (?). Dealer may say "hey this car has got an after market electronics, no wonder ......"

Hi King Neptune, your first picture showing the rear view is very good with nearly no optical distortion. Most other picturs I saw, either with MB or other brand factory camera or after market, rear view has optical distortion, similar to seeing through a high magnifying lenz so the object becoms rounded.

More info I receive from this forum more likely I will install it sooner. Thanks everyone here.

Last edited by C300CA; 07-24-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:08 PM

C300
I wonder if the self installation will void MB warranty, in the case something electric goes wrong within 4 year/60K mile (?). Dealer may say "hey this car has got an after market electronics, no wonder ......"

Hi King Neptune, your first picture showing the rear view is very good with nearly no optical distortion. Most other picturs I saw, either with MB or other brand factory camera or after market, rear view has optical distortion, similar to seeing through a high magnifying lenz so the object becoms rounded.

More info I receive from this forum more likely I will install it sooner. Thanks everyone here.
I must say I was quite impressed myself with the quality of the image for a 5$ camera. It's actually better than the one I have (OEM) in my 2005 Odyssey. Can't tell you much more than WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get). I haven't photoshop the result or anything. Image is simply amazing with very little distortion.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by King_Neptune
I must say I was quite impressed myself with the quality of the image for a 5$ camera. It's actually better than the one I have (OEM) in my 2005 Odyssey. Can't tell you much more than WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get). I haven't photoshop the result or anything. Image is simply amazing with very little distortion.
Good! And I just ordered camera and cable you mentioned under $20. I will really take time to install it with no scratch. It's my weekend car so no rush.

I also have little noise coming from inside dash. It's also time to put some more felt in.

Last edited by C300CA; 07-24-2011 at 09:51 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 08-07-2011, 02:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C300 Sport 4MATIC™ Sedan
Thanks!
im done !
Old 08-17-2011, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by King_Neptune
I started the installation very slowly, whenever I like to. In the COMAND setup, is there a feature we can turn the image upside down, or rotate? Or do I have to physically change camera orientation to get the correct image on the 7" screen?

Thanks.

BTY, I am making the cutout on the trunk piece just large enough to set camera in at an ideal angle, with minimum gap all around. I might use something to glue and seal the camera so no mounting metal piece is needed.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:55 PM

You're welcome! That's correct, removing the head unit takes just a minute or two.
I am not sure if the head unit is secured with two screws only. In the Youtube movie, the installer took two screws out and used some type of a sharp tip hook to dig in at both side of the head unit behind the screw? Something need to be released? Would you let me know what that step is?

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:06 AM

In White46: DIY: DIY: Rear-View Camera under $200, it says to connect to the green plud.

What should I do with the original cable alreay plugged in the green connector? Is the original cable for Video player? If yes then I will add backup camera feature but lose the video player function.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
I am not sure if the head unit is secured with two screws only. In the Youtube movie, the installer took two screws out and used some type of a sharp tip hook to dig in at both side of the head unit behind the screw? Something need to be released? Would you let me know what that step is?

Thanks.
I seem to remember 4 screws when I did my NAV retrofit?
Old 08-28-2011, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Anyone know of anyone that has a similarly priced cable with a right angle connector.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Nuru
I seem to remember 4 screws when I did my NAV retrofit?
I figured out that it is two screws, plus two latches I need to pull straight up.

The camera cable connection at the head unit back is my last question. I'd really appreciate it if anyone could help me with that. Meanwhile I will keep searching...
Old 08-28-2011, 02:18 PM

2010 C300 4matic Special Edition
I figured out that it is two screws, plus two latches I need to pull straight up.

The camera cable connection at the head unit back is my last question. I'd really appreciate it if anyone could help me with that. Meanwhile I will keep searching...
The existing cable in the video input at the head unit goes to the adapter in the glove box, and is for ipod videos, etc. You cannot have both working; you need to select video camera in the software, and remove the existing cable. I guess you could connect your camera cable to the glove box connector if you did not use an ipod.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Backup camera for 25$ (with pictures)