Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > C-Class (W204)
Bad steering lock and ignition module $1900!!! >

Bad steering lock and ignition module $1900!!!

Notices
C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Bad steering lock and ignition module $1900!!!

Old 12-17-2016, 01:20 PM

Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
2012 CLS63 PP
Originally Posted by IGB View Post
Good luck.... and please update us once you get a diagnosis.
I have an update. Turned out the battery was a non-AGM unit and had been leaking for quite some time underneath. New AGM battery and all is well. Thanks for your input.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2012 GLK, 2016 BMW 1200GS
2012 GLK with 126,000 miles. All was well until this weekend, when car wouldn't start, and stuck in park, despite 2-month old battery (installed by MB Dealership) and all lights working. Was able to make it work the first time with jiggling the wheel. Sunday morning, however, no luck. Eventually found gear shift release, so it could be flat-bedded to my local dealership (thank you AAA).

Unfortunately, at this mileage, I'm outside even the extended warranty I bought when I took delivery of the GLK. I really like it a lot, so I hope that this isn't going to be an "enuf is enuf" repair.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:46 PM

Liked 89 Times in 82 Posts
2008 C300 Sport
People, you need to find someone locally or have the ESL, ignition switch and key shipped to these people :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-W2...-/232253477608

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-W2...-/253001851407

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-EI...-/263286667821

Make sure you get the "Emulator" aka this https://www.abkeys.com/abk-3893-merc...or-fatal-error

You can buy that and just send it to them, they will need to code it to your key. This will eliminate the mechanical part of the lock so your steering wheel will never lock again and will never leave you stranded, I've hurd of people paying 2000$ at the dealer only for the ESL to fail again in a few years, get the emulators and never worry about it again.
The following users liked this post: ltwargssf
John Choi (01-31-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 10:02 PM
DJK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2010 e550
steering wheel does not lock

My 2010 E550 did not start for a few days but has now started with no problem for several days. An electric tech sent me to a mechanic to remove ESL/EIS, and mechanic said I had to go to a dealer because they have the"codes" and won't release them. Can someone clarify if only a dealer can deal with ESL/EIS or if independent shop can repair/replace. I am hearing different things on these posts, and not sure if year and chassis matters. Thanks in advance. DK
Old 02-21-2018, 11:12 AM
IGB

Liked 49 Times in 46 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
Originally Posted by DJK View Post
My 2010 E550 did not start for a few days but has now started with no problem for several days. An electric tech sent me to a mechanic to remove ESL/EIS, and mechanic said I had to go to a dealer because they have the"codes" and won't release them. Can someone clarify if only a dealer can deal with ESL/EIS or if independent shop can repair/replace. I am hearing different things on these posts, and not sure if year and chassis matters. Thanks in advance. DK
Since EIS ESL are described as "theft-related parts", Mercedes Benz will only ship these parts to Mercedes Benz Dealers/parts departments, and/or Mercedes Benz authorized service centers that are Independently owned (more commonly known as Indy shops).

In addition, for some repairs/installations, the new parts must be coded using MBs proprietary diagnostic and repair system (more commonly known as STAR). Which again, can only be "officially owned by either dealer service centers and/or indy shops that are authorized (and trained) by MB to do such work.

Year and chassis does make a difference as far as which part numbers fit which vehicle(s), however, this policy applies to ALL MB theft related parts irrespective of chassis and model year.
The following users liked this post: IGB
DJK (02-23-2018)