C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C250 purchase strategy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
C250 purchase strategy

I'm beginning the process of getting things ready to order myself a C250 sedan, but am curious as to if anyone has any advice/would like to share their past experiences with ordering a C.

Basically, I want a configuration that no dealer would probably ever order for their lot, so it will have to be a factory order... which I think I prefer. (C250 Sport, Sapphire grey/ash mb-tex, aluminum, P1, Lighting, COMAND Launch S32, 18" 7 Spoke AMG wheels, rearview cam, parktronic, rear side airbags, rear spoiler, power rear sunshade).

I've emailed about 6 dealers explaining what I want, that I am firm on this, and that I want to know what their best price is. I'm not interested in a dog and pony show - and I want to communicate via email. It sounds kind of dickish, but this is a want, not a need - and I don't have time during the week to play phone tag.

Given that it's gonna be an order, and that there are still plenty of 2011s on lots - do I have a chance in hell of getting it below MSRP, or is it going to be a game of hardball? Anyone been in a similar situation and have any advice? The sticker on this config is $44,745 - I can't find invoice information anywhere though.

Last edited by MDMercedesGuy; 10-05-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Carrara White Metallic Porsche Cayman
I bought my 2009 at the end of 2008, still 2008s on the lot..and I still got a decent deal...$3kish off msrp. It wasn't a special order, however.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:37 PM

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
Factory ordered 2012 MB C350 w/Dynamic Handling Package
Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
I'm beginning the process of getting things ready to order myself a C250 sedan, but am curious as to if anyone has any advice/would like to share their past experiences with ordering a C.

Basically, I want a configuration that no dealer would probably ever order for their lot, so it will have to be a factory order... which I think I prefer. (C250 Sport, Sapphire grey/ash mb-tex, aluminum, P1, Lighting, COMAND Launch S32, 18" 7 Spoke AMG wheels, rearview cam, parktronic, rear side airbags, rear spoiler, power rear sunshade).

I've emailed about 6 dealers explaining what I want, that I am firm on this, and that I want to know what their best price is. I'm not interested in a dog and pony show - and I want to communicate via email. It sounds kind of dickish, but this is a want, not a need - and I don't have time during the week to play phone tag.

Given that it's gonna be an order, and that there are still plenty of 2011s on lots - do I have a chance in hell of getting it below MSRP, or is it going to be a game of hardball? Anyone been in a similar situation and have any advice? The sticker on this config is $44,745 - I can't find invoice information anywhere though.

I'm in the exact same boat and can completely relate. My special configuration and experience below...

C350 SEDAN $40,575
650 Arctic White
128 Ash MB-Tex
736 Black Ash Wood Trim
315 Dynamic Handling Package (Special Order) $1,400
319 Lighting Package $1,290
413 Panorama Sunroof $1,090
S32 COMAND Single Disc Package: 7.0" Hig $930
993 Lane Tracking Package: Blind Spot A $850
889 KEYLESS-GO $650
218 Rearview Camera $460
SUBTOTAL $47,245
DESTINATION & DELIVERY $875
TOTAL $48,120

I have attempted to contact 9 dealers within my area via email.
8 dealers actually called me back over the phone.
7 actually gave me a quote.
4 provided similar pricing.
2 started to outbid each other.
My delta from highest to lowest offer ended up being $4.4k
This process began 2 weeks ago.

I've finally settled to 1 dealer and have left my deposit. The negotiated OTD price (taxes + fees included) is less than the advertised MSRP.

Your comment about being "dickish" struck a chord with me. My wife said the exact same thing about me when I was going through this process.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy

There is nothing special which happens financially when you order your choice of content which justifies raising the eventual transaction price. In fact, the dealer makes more on a "sold order" car than on inventory which has been on the lot for more than about 30 days. Dealers don't own their inventory; they finance it, and after the grace period of the first month, they start paying interest on cars in stock. This is called being in the "floorplan". Having a vehicle come in/out of their store immediately saves them that payment.

The issue is the psychology of the dealer resisting negotiating because they know a "sold order" buyer is more motivated and therefore more willing to pay to get what they want. So, here's what I would do. Get educated on the prices of options. Then, go shopping and find something in inventory which comes as close as possible to what you eventually want. Use truecar.com to figure out a good deal (if the 2012s are listed yet...I did not check). Negotiate the best price you can on the car which comes closest to your final actually desired car, which to this point, has been unmentioned. (Feel free to play one dealer off another!) Along the way, mention that you intend to finance through them, as the salesperson will factor in some additional margin which they make on MBUSA financing. At the end of the deal, you can pay cash, or whatever method works best for you. Once you reach that price, then do a step-by-step content and price addition to change the car to the configuration you want and offer to order that. The downside is that you may pay closer to MSRP for those options, as additional leverage may be limited, but you have already likely negotiated an overall vehicle price, minus those last changes, which represents your best deal without the dealer psychology of working with a committed "sold order" customer coming into play. If the dealer pushes back and says he was more "motivated" to sell out of inventory, simply point out that your sold order car will never hit his floorplan, so he can book that savings...then stand your ground. You might have to get up and head toward the door, but I think he/she would be following you quickly.

Good luck and happy shopping!

Last edited by Sportstick; 10-06-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
Thanks for the replies. So here's where I sit right now...

Contacted 6 dealers. I got 4 responses via email. 1 of them didn't want to quote upfront, one of them called me 3 times (at which point I picked up and told him not to bother, as they were not getting my business), and one of them asked me what I was willing to pay.

I threw a quote of $40K at them, expecting them to balk. They replied with $40,787 (on a $44,745 MSRP). I actually wasn't expecting that. They do mention their doc fee, which he did not say what it was. I paid $99 on my smart and didn't ***** - the other dealers in the area wanted $400 for doc, which we all know is just additional holdback.

Another one quoted me nearly $47K. I explained to him that I know the MSRP of what I want is $44,745 and to go back and configure it with S32 like I asked instead of the currently unavailable Multimedia package. They came back at $42K... no thanks.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
Originally Posted by Sportstick
There is nothing special which happens financially when you order your choice of content which justifies raising the eventual transaction price. In fact, the dealer makes more on a "sold order" car than on inventory which has been on the lot for more than about 30 days. Dealers don't own their inventory; they finance it, and after the grace period of the first month, they start paying interest on cars in stock. This is called being in the "floorplan". Having a vehicle come in/out of their store immediately saves them that payment.

The issue is the psychology of the dealer resisting negotiating because they know a "sold order" buyer is more motivated and therefore more willing to pay to get what they want. So, here's what I would do. Get educated on the prices of options. Then, go shopping and find something in inventory which comes as close as possible to what you eventually want. Use truecar.com to figure out a good deal (if the 2012s are listed yet...I did not check). Negotiate the best price you can on the car which comes closest to your final actually desired car, which to this point, has been unmentioned. (Feel free to play one dealer off another!) Along the way, mention that you intend to finance through them, as the salesperson will factor in some additional margin which they make on MBUSA financing. At the end of the deal, you can pay cash, or whatever method works best for you. Once you reach that price, then do a step-by-step content and price addition to change the car to the configuration you want and offer to order that. The downside is that you may pay closer to MSRP for those options, as additional leverage may be limited, but you have already likely negotiated an overall vehicle price, minus those last changes, which represents your best deal without the dealer psychology of working with a committed "sold order" customer coming into play. If the dealer pushes back and says he was more "motivated" to sell out of inventory, simply point out that your sold order car will never hit his floorplan, so he can book that savings...then stand your ground. You might have to get up and head toward the door, but I think he/she would be following you quickly.

Good luck and happy shopping!
This is really good advice... if something backfires with the online business, I will definitely do this.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:59 AM

2012 C350 (coming soon)
Originally Posted by edgalang
I'm in the exact same boat and can completely relate. My special configuration and experience below...

C350 SEDAN $40,575
650 Arctic White
128 Ash MB-Tex
736 Black Ash Wood Trim
315 Dynamic Handling Package (Special Order) $1,400
319 Lighting Package $1,290
413 Panorama Sunroof $1,090
S32 COMAND Single Disc Package: 7.0" Hig $930
993 Lane Tracking Package: Blind Spot A $850
889 KEYLESS-GO $650
218 Rearview Camera $460
SUBTOTAL $47,245
DESTINATION & DELIVERY $875
TOTAL $48,120

I have attempted to contact 9 dealers within my area via email.
8 dealers actually called me back over the phone.
7 actually gave me a quote.
4 provided similar pricing.
2 started to outbid each other.
My delta from highest to lowest offer ended up being $4.4k
This process began 2 weeks ago.

I've finally settled to 1 dealer and have left my deposit. The negotiated OTD price (taxes + fees included) is less than the advertised MSRP.

Your comment about being "dickish" struck a chord with me. My wife said the exact same thing about me when I was going through this process.
The sales told me there are no 2012 C350 Sedans with the Black Ash Wood Trim.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:10 AM

None Yet
Originally Posted by toraniji
The sales told me there are no 2012 C350 Sedans with the Black Ash Wood Trim.
I thought that is standard for the 2012 C350 Sedan?

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicl...l=C350W#design
Black Ash wood trim

Accenting the doors and console, dramatic hand-polished Black Birdseye Maple wood trim gives the C350 Sport Sedan's cockpit an air of refined sportiness.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
I got another email from a dealer that I had never replied to offering $40,800. It looks like nearly 9% is do-able off on these cars.

Now to limp one of my current cars to CarMax and see how much they will give me for it.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:50 PM

2012 C350 Sport - Iridium Silver w/Ash
Originally Posted by Liquid Metal
I thought that is standard for the 2012 C350 Sedan?

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicl...l=C350W#design
Black Ash wood trim

Accenting the doors and console, dramatic hand-polished Black Birdseye Maple wood trim gives the C350 Sport Sedan's cockpit an air of refined sportiness.
Mine was built this week in Germany and just got the build sheet today. It has black ash wood trim.