C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

WeatherTech Mats don't fit !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 04:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 c300 Sport 4matic
WeatherTech Mats don't fit !

Here in New England, we tend to get a decent amount of snow in winter. If you want to protect you car's interior, there's probably no better mat than the WeatherTech DigitalFit Molded Floorliner. It's custom-tailored for each vehicle and model, so it conforms exactly to the floorpan of the driver and passenger seat. I'm sure you've seen their ads in Car & Driver and Road & Track.

I've been very happy with the fit and performance of this product on other cars I've owned: Jetta GLI, Audi, Accord. But I just got a set for my '08 C300 and guess what? The mat doesn't fit properly in the driver's side.

I confirmed that I have the correct part, and the mat is cut precisely enough. But it's supposed to snap into place, just like the OEM carpets do. In fact, if you look at the fitting on the bottom of the floorliner, it looks exactly like the fitting on the carpet. But, when I press it down, it won't snap into place. No matter how hard I press it, it won't snap. If I move my foot along the mat, as one would when driving, the mat slides one or two inches fore and aft. Not safe!

I called the manufacturer, and the customer service rep said that the mat was designed to "sit on top of the floor pillar." That was a bogus answer, in my book, since the mat is completely unsecured if it merely sits on top of that pillar, instead of snapping onto it like the carpet does.

Have any of you other C-class owners tried this product? Have you had a similar experience?

Or does MB make a similar product that protects the car floor, snaps securely in place, and looks decent?

I am ticked off that MacNeil Automotive (the manufacturer) blew this version so badly and doesn't recognize that it's an issue. I actually bought the liner from autoanything.com, which said they would check back with the manufacturer to see what can be done.

Last edited by amazer98; 12-08-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C300 4matic Special Edition
mat fitment

I have the same mats, and you are right in that they do not snap in place, but fit loosely over the retainers. However, with them in the correct position mine do not move at all. I have not had a problem with them so far.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Rogwp
I have the same mats, and you are right in that they do not snap in place, but fit loosely over the retainers. However, with them in the correct position mine do not move at all. I have not had a problem with them so far.
+1

The mats have two small recesses designed to contain, but not snap into, the floor clips. This has worked fine over the last two winters.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550 Coupe
I ended up sending my set back. Other than the mentioned issue I had two other major issues I did not like. The first is my pant leg rears got continuously soaked and salt stained as there is nowhere for the melted snow to go but stay in the bottom of the pan. The second issue is as you accelerate all the melted snow slides to the back of the mat and under your seat where your electronic control seat box is. After one season my electronic box and wires were covered in salt. The rear lip of the mat is too low. These are basically garbage for the money.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:36 PM

2008 c300 Sport 4matic
Originally Posted by Norm01
The second issue is as you accelerate all the melted snow slides to the back of the mat and under your seat where your electronic control seat box is. After one season my electronic box and wires were covered in salt. The rear lip of the mat is too low. These are basically garbage for the money.
I also noticed that, yes, the back of the liner was cut down almost to floor level. I can see how water could slosh under the seat. This design was completely different from the liners I had for my other cars, which were more of a bathtub, with at least a 1 inch edge around the perimeter.

I cannot understand how Sportstik and Rogwp's matts don't move around. I tried to snap my mats down, but they just sat on top of those pillars-- my feet could easily slide the mats back and forth.

Hey.. maybe I should stick some Velcro under the mats-- that would give them some good friction.

Last edited by amazer98; 12-08-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Norm01
I ended up sending my set back. Other than the mentioned issue I had two other major issues I did not like. The first is my pant leg rears got continuously soaked and salt stained as there is nowhere for the melted snow to go but stay in the bottom of the pan. The rear lip of the mat is too low. These are basically garbage for the money.
I respect your opinion, but am a bit confused by it. Do you prefer no lip, so all the same melting snow simply slides off into the carpets and still backward as well, or do you want a higher lip to contain it all even better?

I've made it a habit when sitting down with snow-cladded shoes to "clap" my shoe edges together a few times before rotating to swing my legs in, shaking off almost all snow. As a result, I've never actually experienced what you describe, and my three year old carpets still look new. I guess to each their own, but I've since bought sets for three more cars with good results.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by amazer98
I cannot understand how Sportstik and Rogwp's matts don't move around. I tried to snap my mats down, but they just sat on top of those pillars-- my feet could easily slide the mats back and forth.
I'm still on 3 season carpet mats, as snow hasn't hit us yet, but this piqued my curiosity enough to head out to the garage for a closer look. I put the WeatherTech in again and see the following. The mat cannot move laterally as the fit is snug, and it cannot move forward, as it is snug against the forward wall of the footwell, as well as the base of the accelerator, AND, the floor clips fit up into the recesses in the mat and block motion there as well. I tried to slide it around with my hand, and it doesn't move, which reflects my in-usage experience. I've never had enough accumulation, per my above post, to have any significant liquid slosh back and out of the mat over the approximately 1/4" raised edge.

Last edited by Sportstick; 12-08-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:18 PM

2012 C350 Sedan
I returned my Weathertech mats a few weeks ago because the driver's side mat would not snap into place on my 2012 C-class. I ended up getting the Mercedes mats instead. They aren't as nice, or as protective, but they work fine for the amount of snow and rain I encounter.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:20 PM

'09 C350 4M, '11 Sienna SE, '84 VW Jetta GLi
my weather techs fit PERFECT, doesn't clip into stock retainers but doesn't move at all. I won't own a car without weathertechs!
Old 12-08-2011, 07:41 PM

2008 c300 Sport 4matic
Amazing... It sounds like the Weathertech mats have this consistent problem... Don't they bother to field test their products?

Sounds like we're split between keeping the mats and sending them back. I have a rol of 3" Velcro... Think I'll stick on a patch and see how the mat grabs then.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 c300 4matic
would you recommend weather tech over the benz all weather mats?
Old 12-08-2011, 07:50 PM

2008 c300 Sport 4matic
I would totally and enthusiastically recommend the Weathertechs if only they clipped properly in place. Given this model's shortcoming, it's a toss-up.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Thaa kiid Jlee
would you recommend weather tech over the benz all weather mats?
Yes, because of the lip around most parts which protects spillage on the carpet. MB mats are flat all around.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:47 PM

2012 C350 Sedan
Another point to consider is that the Weathertechs only come with mats for the front seats. If you use the back seats at all, you may need to get a set of the MB mats, too.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:17 PM

2008 c300 Sport 4matic
Originally Posted by daniel1113
Another point to consider is that the Weathertechs only come with mats for the front seats. If you use the back seats at all, you may need to get a set of the MB mats, too.
Actually, the Weathertechs are sold in sets of two mats (front only) or 4 mats. I don't bother putting them in the rear since its usually empty back there. The carpets are fine for the occasional back seat snow clomper.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:23 PM

2012 C350 Sedan
Odd. When I ordered mine, there was no option to get a set for the rear seats. Thanks for the correction
Old 12-08-2011, 09:32 PM

2008 c300 Sport 4matic
Originally Posted by daniel1113
Odd. When I ordered mine, there was no option to get a set for the rear seats. Thanks for the correction
Well, you saved $70 by not ordering those dinky rear mats. I wouldn't be surprised if some Weathertech resellers didn't bother to stock the rear mats. I bet, tho, if you went direct to the mfg. and told them you already had front mats and wanted to buy just the rear ones, they'd sell a pair to you. Worth a shot, if you want them!
Old 12-09-2011, 10:54 AM

2018 E300 4MATIC Sedan
I have been using these in my car every winter since I bought it and I am very happy with them :

http://www.performanceproducts4benz....des+Floor+Mats

Genuine Mercedes Benz All Season Floor Mats - $100

Are the WeatherTech mats really worth the additional $70 ( especially is they don't fit correctly ) ?

http://www.weathertech.com/mercedes-...er-digitalfit/

Nick
Old 12-11-2011, 11:43 PM

'12 Mustang 5.0, '89 Supra Turbo, C55,
Originally Posted by NickCats
I have been using these in my car every winter since I bought it and I am very happy with them :

Genuine Mercedes Benz All Season Floor Mats - $100?..

Nick
I was just looking at these! R there any AMG logo winter mats avail?
Old 12-13-2011, 08:27 PM

2011 MB c class 4matic
great mats

I've had Weather tech mats in my C300 for two winters and they have been excellent.The fit is perfect and they do NOTslip out of place.I've had Weather tech on two previous cars and found them to be a quality product.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:42 PM

2012 C350 Sport - Iridium Silver w/Ash
Originally Posted by NickCats

Genuine Mercedes Benz All Season Floor Mats - $100
[...]
I bought MB all-season for my '12 c350. I would have bought WT but they didn't have them available for the sedan yet. But it turned out the MB all-weather mats are great. Glad it worked out the way it did.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:46 PM

2012 C300 4Matic
That sux to hear that the 2012 Weathertech's don't fit well. How hard could it be to integrate them so they snap into place as well??? For the price of a floor mat these should be the best thing since sliced bread!

I've been trying to get a price and availability quote for more than a week with no answer. And ordering it from an online retailer burries me w/ $50+ shipping.....

So my wife picked me up a set of black rubber OEM mats today. We've been getting dumped on up here. Yesterday they closed all the schools and that hardly ever happens in Alaska.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:15 PM

2012 C300 4Matic
The set of OEM black all weather mats fit great and look good too. They don't have quite the coverage of what looks like the weathertechs do. But they are great for three reasons.
1. They are in my car (front and back)
2. They cost less than weathertechs
3. They fit
Old 12-14-2011, 11:58 PM

'12 Mustang 5.0, '89 Supra Turbo, C55,
Originally Posted by akmerc
...So my wife picked me up a set of black rubber OEM mats today. We've been getting dumped on up here. Yesterday they closed all the schools and that hardly ever happens in Alaska.
My wife did the same. Can't wait to pick 'em up Sat!
Old 12-15-2011, 12:20 AM

2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by gnma
My wife did the same. Can't wait to pick 'em up Sat!
Not to hijack the thread or anything but the OEMs r pretty sweet!

I can say that with the deep snow we've had up here I'm glad to have them. I can see needing to "drain" or clear them since they don't hold a ton of water.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: WeatherTech Mats don't fit !