C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

MBTEX seats ratings - 1/10

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 01:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300
MBTEX seats ratings - 1/10

Have anyone tried a seat swap? or just put in a different seat because man do our w204 mbtex seat suck. The spacing is tight, the position is weird for the headrest, it rips quite easily, and it is horrible for the back. Compared to our competitors, its totally crap. The lexus IS feels the best imo compare to all.

Has anyone swap out the seats with another or just put in completely different one?
Thanks!

Last edited by 1DarkChaos; 05-30-2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 E350
Hmmm...I actually like our seats. I've found the MB tex to be quite durable so far and I have two kids in my car most of the time.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
You might find that the AMG or "Multicontour" seats fit you better. Multicontour seats seem rare in US spec'ed cars.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by 1DarkChaos
Have anyone tried a seat swap? or just put in a different seat because man do our w204 mbtex seat suck. The spacing is tight, the position is weird for the headrest, it rips quite easily, and it is horrible for the back. Compared to our competitors, its totally crap. The lexus IS feels the best imo compare to all.

Has anyone swap out the seats with another or just put in completely different one?
Thanks!
There is some mixing of issues here. Let's separate the STO (seat trim outline) which defines the shape of the seat from the trim cover (cloth, leather, or vinyl, in our case, MBTex). Regarding the STO and the seat position within the cabin, that is an accommodation to deal with the 5th-95th percentile adult (male and female) through the use of standardized dummies for position and impact testing. The US and Europe have used similar dimensioned dummies for quite a while, although Japan used to use a differently proportioned dummy (although things may have changed since I retired). To judge the comfort of position, a simple "test-sit" in the showroom is one good indication, while driving over some time can address ongoing comfort. No two bodies are identical; two different people can rate the same seat highly and lowly. I actually rate the 2009 W204 seats highly for my shape and size. It fits my back perfectly, which I cannot say for our E350.

The head restraint represents the most current approach to saving your neck. A head restraint must be properly (closely) positioned to the rear part of the skull to minimize rearward acceleration in a rear impact so your neck does not hyper-extend. Part of the issue may be that you consider it a "head rest". It most certainly is NOT a "rest"...it is a restraint, waiting to perform its function.

Now, on to seat trim cover. My MBTex is four years old and looks like the day it was delivered with periodic simple cleaning. It is a bit stiffer than some more sumptuous leathers, but similar to some stiffer real leathers on some other brands. It has never ripped.

I would caution you about swapping seats, unless it is a seat designed by MB for this platform. In impact testing, the seat is a part of the overall system, and loads that go into the seat, and ultimately into the floor, must be properly managed. A seat not designed to these specs may fracture at its mounts and turn into a platform which serves you up to the windshield or pre-fully deployed air bag, or going rearward, into the rear window.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by Sportstick
My MBTex is four years old and looks like the day it was delivered with periodic simple cleaning. It is a bit stiffer than some more sumptuous leathers, but similar to some stiffer real leathers on some other brands. It has never ripped.
Same here. Wished it was real leather when I bought the car but after living with it for a few years, am perfectly happy to have the MB tex.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!

Thanks!
I actually love the MBtex material on my c350. I find it more durable and low maintenance compared to the Nappa Leather in my C63. I find it hard to believe that the MBtex materials rip easily, unless you sit with razers and sharp objects in your pocket.

I would have to agree with you that the seating position sucks in the standard C-class vehicles. It offers ZERO bolster support, although that does allow me to cross my legs (indian style) while driving. If you love the IS seats, you should go see if you can find some used C63 buckets.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:41 AM

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
2011 C300 Sport, P1, MM, Wood, Heated FS, DIY rearview camera. 2002 QX4
Although it's my weekend, less frequently driven car, I found no problem at all so far. Only the look and hand feel indicate it's a bit cheap compared to leather. I don't understand why someone finds the seat not comfortable unless the driver is out of normal size and weight. Seats are fully adjustable (10 way for the driver side), and the adjustable range is pretty wide.

Maybe not the seat only but the surroundings like head room, armrest position, etc. To me everything is nearly perfect. If I'd do it again, I wouls still choose MBTex, save the leather money for rear view camera or active head lights. My theory is that leather has the same function as MBTex just a little nicer, but camera and head lights are things that add functions to the car, worth a lot more.

Last edited by C300CA; 05-30-2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: more info
Old 05-30-2012, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 119 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
I HATE HOW MBTEX GETS SHINY WITH WEAR AND TEAR!!!!!
Old 05-30-2012, 01:20 PM

2008 C300
damn i guess its just me...
but i agree with the color not fading and no need for maintenance, but that's pretty much it lol.
also I think it has to do with the rather stiff suspension on the sports package plus the stuff seats so a lot of that vibration is felt. I think that the seats should be soft to absorb more if the suspension is stiff for a c-class that is non c63. just my 2cents

Last edited by 1DarkChaos; 05-30-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
damn i guess its just me...
but i agree with the color not fading and no need for maintenance, but that's pretty much it lol.
also I think it has to do with the rather stiff suspension on the sports package plus the stuff seats so a lot of that vibration is felt. I think that the seats should be soft to absorb more if the suspension is stiff for a c-class that is non c63. just my 2cents
If you feel the MB C Class Sport has a stiff suspension, the real problem may be that you did not get a Luxury model, rather than the design of the seat. Ask your dealer for a chance to test a Luxury and see if that makes you more satisfied. And, you probably don't need to spend any time ever considering a BMW! Meanwhile, you could soften the current experience with a different set of tires, such as Michelin Primacy MXM4 (but keep them out of the snow!).
Old 05-30-2012, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
The head restraint represents the most current approach to saving your neck. A head restraint must be properly (closely) positioned to the rear part of the skull to minimize rearward acceleration in a rear impact so your neck does not hyper-extend. Part of the issue may be that you consider it a "head rest". It most certainly is NOT a "rest"...it is a restraint, waiting to perform its function.

I would caution you about swapping seats, unless it is a seat designed by MB for this platform. In impact testing, the seat is a part of the overall system, and loads that go into the seat, and ultimately into the floor, must be properly managed. A seat not designed to these specs may fracture at its mounts and turn into a platform which serves you up to the windshield or pre-fully deployed air bag, or going rearward, into the rear window.
People should pay close attention to both of these paragraphs.

Do not mess around with the seats, and don't sit in the seats as though they are TV lounge chairs. They are an integral part of the safety factor of the vehicle.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

Indeed^ ~ That is why I recommended other seats common to this chassis.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:32 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'20 Targa 4 DD, ' 18 Volvo S60 T6
While I do like the MBtex better than leather it is true the seats are dimensionally too small for anyone over 5'10, especially if they have any excess weight.

Really the only solution is to change the car, or drop $3K + ea for nice Recaros - this is the first upgrade I would do to any car
Old 05-31-2012, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
Originally Posted by whiteongrey
While I do like the MBtex better than leather it is true the seats are dimensionally too small for anyone over 5'10, especially if they have any excess weight.
I'm 6'2, 235 with a 34" waist and shoulders that tend to destroy shirts with their width. I'd hardly call the seats too small for someone my size... if anything I tend to wallow in them.

From a support perspective, I miss the seats in my smart. Funny considering it is a city car, but they had fairly aggressive bolstering and were firm.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:25 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'20 Targa 4 DD, ' 18 Volvo S60 T6
Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
I'm 6'2, 235 with a 34" waist and shoulders that tend to destroy shirts with their width. I'd hardly call the seats too small for someone my size... if anything I tend to wallow in them.

From a support perspective, I miss the seats in my smart. Funny considering it is a city car, but they had fairly aggressive bolstering and were firm.
Very few people over 6' have ever sat in a correct fit seat so would not know the difference.

I have, and can absolutely say that that a majority of car seats are like putting a size 8 shoe on my size 11 foot.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Very few people over 6' have ever sat in a correct fit seat so would not know the difference.
At 6'2" and 185, I am very happy with the C Class seat for back (including lumbar) support and comfort, although side support for very enthusiastic driving is modest. Seat cushion length provides good thigh support.

One cannot generalize as to height, as we may have different proportions of torso height to leg length, making up our overall personal height dimension. I do know the W204 seat is far superior to the W211 seat FOR ME, so when I drive my wife's E350, the ol' lumbar pillow comes along for the ride.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:51 AM

2008 C350 Sport
At 6'2" and 185, I am very happy with the C Class seat for back (including lumbar) support and comfort, although side support for very enthusiastic driving is modest. Seat cushion length provides good thigh support.

One cannot generalize as to height, as we may have different proportions of torso height to leg length, making up our overall personal height dimension. I do know the W204 seat is far superior to the W211 seat FOR ME, so when I drive my wife's E350, the ol' lumbar pillow comes along for the ride.

Another happy camper here at 6' 190, very comfortable in these seats...Seats look perfect, all I use is Mothers VLR every other wash or so and they look good as new...I think I remember some point in my life where my shoulders destroyed shirts too(Ha - MD mercedesguy...)

One opinion I differ on is the seat cushion length, in my previous car (330ci) there was an adjustment with the sport seats to extend the seat cushion out about 3-4 additional inches which I really liked, bolsters were wrapped much nicer also - oops, going on a tangent here - that is the only thing I liked about the beamer more...Likiing the MBtex just fine so far.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:53 AM

2008 C350 Sport
Possibly the most unfounded and ridiculous statement I have read on this forum.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Come on guys. The seats are made for Germans with large butts!
Old 05-31-2012, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 C350
my driver side seat started to rip after 2 years....... luckily still under warranty so i had it swap out for free! and from what i can see from the rip, it's a real thin layer of MBTEX! cheap in my opinion
Old 05-31-2012, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Come on guys. The seats are made for Germans with large butts!
That is very depressing to know, as the seat fits me so well.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:21 AM

W204 2008 C350
I'm 6'3 and am happy with the seats. My only issue is that there's a small tear on the driver's side bottom bolster which seems to occur to multiple owners.
I find the seats a lot more comfortable than my previous e90 3 series. My back would be killing me after short drives. I felt Completely paralyzed after road trips.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:21 AM

W204 2008 C350
lol
Old 05-31-2012, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Don't worry - me too
Old 05-31-2012, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
Actually, I'll rant about my MBTex here a bit.

I love it. I like the feel - to me it is softer than the leather I have felt on the leather cars. I bought ash because I love the look, I don't allow food in my car, and I am okay with having to be **** with keeping the seats clean.

The amount of dye transfer on my driver's seat after 2 months from my brown belts bothers me a bit. I haven't tried cleaning it off yet - but it's definitely noticeable close up and just looks dirty. Luckily I don't wear jeans through the week much unless I am going out so I am not getting dye transfer, but I hope the brown from belts comes off.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MBTEX seats ratings - 1/10