C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Cruise Contol Inoperable

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
Cruise Contol Inoperable

I have not seen this posted anywhere. If it was discussed, I apologize for repeating.

For the second time in less than 3 months, my car displayed the message above. The first time, I took it to the dealer, but by that time the message will not appear again, and was told everything checked out okay.

This morning, when I started the car, I got the the message again. However, I was extremely low on fuel. As in like 15 miles to go. I filled up, and the message is gone. I do not remember the circumstances of the first incident.

Is this a normal behavior? Does the car shut down cruise control when you are almost out of gas and this is just another feature, or is there an issue with it? I just cannot get that message to show again.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Is there any chance your hand brushed against the ESP OFF button in the center stack, under the a/c vents? Disabling the ESP will also turn off cruise control, but I believe this resets with each ignition cycle.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:30 PM

2010 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Is there any chance your hand brushed against the ESP OFF button in the center stack, under the a/c vents? Disabling the ESP will also turn off cruise control, but I believe this resets with each ignition cycle.

No, Sports, never touched it. I'm really hoping that it is fuel related!
Old 07-05-2012, 03:37 PM

2009 C300 Luxury P1 w/Multimedia, Arctic White
Mine did that too a few weeks ago. It just happened once so I didn't take it to the dealer.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:03 PM

2010 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by Ben'sBenz
Mine did that too a few weeks ago. It just happened once so I didn't take it to the dealer.
Do you remember if you were low on fuel at the time? Just trying to connect some dots here
Old 07-06-2012, 12:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 c350 sport
this happen to me recently too. so here's what i got.
my fuel was low today and when i tried it.. its didnt work..
so i added gas and tried it.. it WORKS!!!
but did it again during the drive on the highway and it didnt work.

my next guess is that i have a heavy foot.. so when that happens .. the benz doesnt let you use the cruise control????? just as loss as you jetlyboy haha
Old 07-06-2012, 11:42 AM

2010 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by steven1888
this happen to me recently too. so here's what i got.
my fuel was low today and when i tried it.. its didnt work..
so i added gas and tried it.. it WORKS!!!
but did it again during the drive on the highway and it didnt work.

my next guess is that i have a heavy foot.. so when that happens .. the benz doesnt let you use the cruise control????? just as loss as you jetlyboy haha
Maybe it's just a fluke. The dealer is puzzled, and almost does not believe me. I think I'll snap a photo of it with the date and the time and then take it in. I hope the hell it never happens again.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:55 AM

2008 c350 sport
well im just as puzzled too lol. hope you find out what is wrong.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
I'm battling to see the tie with fuel level. I think it was just an electronic brain fart corrected by rebooting one of many micro processors.

Implausible speed sensor data can cause a mute Tempomat/cruise control.

You can check for stored codes with a decent OBDII scanner that reads transmission codes.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:52 PM

2010 C300 Sport
Glyn, you probably are correct that it might have been an electronic brain fart.

I was theorizing that the car system will shut down the cruise control so the driver will not just "cruise" and to remember to refuel the tank. A far fetched idea, but as I said, it was a theory...

Thanks for the input.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by jetflyboy
Glyn, you probably are correct that it might have been an electronic brain fart.

I was theorizing that the car system will shut down the cruise control so the driver will not just "cruise" and to remember to refuel the tank. A far fetched idea, but as I said, it was a theory...

Thanks for the input.
Was the Fuel Reserve warning on? I would think so if you only projected 15 miles of fuel remaining (btw, why do you do this? With your name, this makes me even a bit more nervous about flying! LOL!)

This is an interesting theory, as it may be a way not to let you lull yourself into a highway trip and get yourself stuck on the roadside. Just as disabling ESP triggers Cruise Control Inoperable warnings, it would be possible for the fuel reserve warning to do the same. Anyone know if this electronic/programming link now exists?
Old 07-06-2012, 02:25 PM

2010 C300 Sport
Very funny, Sports
I used to be a commercial pilot for a major airline, and no matter what distance we fly, the first thing we do after landing is to fill up. Now I am a flight instructor.

Now, to explain what happened. I wanted my own test in whether the mpg differ between S and C setting, or not. I drove in a very controlled environment (I have gas on board with me) and went beyond the Reserve warning light. At some point, you cannot see how many miles are left before you are actually on empty, all you see is the car and a pump. Had I run out completely, I probably would have harmed the engine, which would be very stupid.

I normally fill up whenever I get the warning light or at 320 miles driven...whichever comes first.

Now...How about them flying lessons you wanted, eh? lol
Old 07-06-2012, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by jetflyboy
Very funny, Sports
I used to be a commercial pilot for a major airline, and no matter what distance we fly, the first thing we do after landing is to fill up. Now I am a flight instructor.

Now, to explain what happened. I wanted my own test in whether the mpg differ between S and C setting, or not. I drove in a very controlled environment (I have gas on board with me) and went beyond the Reserve warning light. At some point, you cannot see how many miles are left before you are actually on empty, all you see is the car and a pump. Had I run out completely, I probably would have harmed the engine, which would be very stupid.

I normally fill up whenever I get the warning light or at 320 miles driven...whichever comes first.

Now...How about them flying lessons you wanted, eh? lol
Aha....interesting test protocol! When that car and pump shows up, hit OK on the steering wheel control and you will revert to data.

If I could once successfully land something on Flight Simulator, I might try the real thing one day! LOL! And, I'll never leave home without bingo fuel!
Old 07-06-2012, 02:41 PM

2010 C300 Sport
Yeah I know it is different, but I was also trying to see how much can I go on the reseve, which, BTW, after a certain point, hitting OK did NOT bring the data back. And that was why I connected the cruise control to the fuel. I think it kept showing miles to go till I hit 25, and then nothing but the car and the pump; no more data
Old 07-09-2012, 10:12 AM

'09 C300 Sport 4Matic Arctic White
The same error message popped up for me this weekend! Tank was full though and I did not touch the ESP button. The message disappeared after I restarted the car so I don't even know how to demo the problem to the service rep.

Ugh I knew little things like this would happen after about 3 years of ownership ...
Old 11-11-2012, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Just happened to me just now. I've been driving around SF today and have made several stops. As I was leaving a grocery store, I started her up, then shut her off because an employee came out to chat car talk. Turns out he owns a C43 and his brother has a C55.

Anyway, I start up again and I get this message. ESP is on normal, I have over 1/4 tank of gas (no fuel light) and I messed with the stalk to see if it would go away...no luck.

When I get to my destination a few miles later, I shut off the car completely for a second and start back up...no error message, even after I put it in drive.

Weird.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W204 Sport
Let me let you guys in on a little secret. As an aviation mechanic we see this kind of stuff very often. There many many many computers on board a modern jetliner that are very sophisticated. We get a lot of nuisance messages that pop up randomly every so often. We will run an operational check of the system and if we cannot duplicate the problem, we will sign it off and the aircraft will continue flying flawless like it always does. If we see a repetitive problem through a 30 day history, then we will dig into it deeper and after a trend analysis has been performed and troubleshooted, the problem is corrected. I would not worry about this issues unless you start to see the message often, or i shows its ugly head under certain conditions over and over.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by xXHotelCrazyXx
Let me let you guys in on a little secret.
Is the airline company you are working for a secret too? I'd like to know in order to...

Those who get this error message the first time, have the fault codes read (there will be a stored code even if the problem is gone, the OP of this thread should have had it too if the dealer had done any decent diagnosis work).

It could be as simple as a brake light switch starting to misbehave (not necessarily visible from the brake lights if it is the other contact pair).
Old 11-12-2012, 02:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W204 Sport
No secret...
Old 11-12-2012, 04:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 Black on Black
lol well heres my problem. MY car is now slammed and the otherday I went over a dip my rears rubbed my fenderliner hard and ripped it off while ripped off the liner cut my rear esp/cruise control/ abs sensor wire in half... Freaked out thinking this was going to cost me a fortune, in the ende just stripped the wires and connected with electric tape... worked fine. At the same time I think why would mb parts be this ****ty and wires not tucked in better, yet again im thankful for a easy fix. So my thoughts is like he said above brain farts?
Old 11-12-2012, 05:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Mixedfruits
lol well heres my problem. MY car is now slammed and the otherday I went over a dip my rears rubbed my fenderliner hard and ripped it off while ripped off the liner cut my rear esp/cruise control/ abs sensor wire in half... Freaked out thinking this was going to cost me a fortune, in the ende just stripped the wires and connected with electric tape... worked fine. At the same time I think why would mb parts be this ****ty and wires not tucked in better, yet again im thankful for a easy fix. So my thoughts is like he said above brain farts?
Yikes! Okay, now I'll have to check it tomorrow. I'm paranoid.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Turns out it was just a front wheel speed sensor glitch, according to my dealership. We'll see if it comes back.