C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Need advice on B1 service for my c300 sport 6 spd.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 02:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Mercedes C300
Need advice on B1 service for my c300 sport 6 spd.

Got in my car (08 C300 sport, 6 speed) the other day and screen says im due for B1 service. For those of you who have had it done, do you recommend taking it to a MB dealer or could an import shop do it?

about what did you pay without any other repairs? I think B1 includes things like oil and filter change. System upgrade. Airbag check. Belt check. All fluids checked, changed, topped off. ect ect.

the MB dealership closest to me (colorado springs, co) quoted me 350-375. how does that sound?

Any info or advice is GREATLY appreciated. this will be the first service i have done to the car since purchasing it. I have only put 3k miles on it since the beginning of the year. bought it with 57k mi, im just over 60k now.

Thank you
Old 08-02-2012, 06:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Take a look at your service book to find out what your B service entails.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:09 PM

2008 Mercedes C300
Originally Posted by Carsy
Take a look at your service book to find out what your B service entails.
Thanks but im not looking for what the service entails.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 C300
Prices depend on your area. It's about 300 around my area in Los Angeles . As for getting it done at the dealer, it is up to you. I'd do it at the dealer since I have a good relationship with them
Old 08-02-2012, 03:32 PM

'08 Mercedes C300
A SERVICE (~ $205.95 + tax) :

- Inspect and record tread depth, and correct tire pressure
- Rotate tires (excludes AMG, Sports Models, SLK, and vehicles with staggered wheels)
- Engine oil change and oil filter replacement
-Includes Mobil 1 synthetic oil
- Lubrication service
- Includes hood hinges, lock cylinders, striker
plates, sun roof tracks and top off all fluids
- Cooling system inspection
- Includes antifreeze protection level, hoses and
clamps
- Brake inspection
- Includes check of pad thickness and condition of
discs, fluids and lines
- Inspect heating and ventilation dust filter, replace if needed. (Replacement additional. Dust filter prices vary by model)
- Function check
- Includes warning lamps, headlights, exterior
lights, seat belts, windshield wiper and washer
- Inspect and lubricate throttle linkage
- Check and clean air filter
- Reset flexible service system counter

B SERVICE (~ $379.95 + tax) :

- Inspect windshield wiper inserts and service windshield washer system (Replacement of wiper inserts additional*).
- Inspect and rotate tires, record tread depth, and correct tire pressure. (Wheel balance additional*).
-excludes AMG, Sports Models, SLK, and vehicles
with staggered wheels
- Engine oil change and oil filter replacement
-Includes Mobil 1 synthetic oil
- Lubrication service
- Includes hood hinges, lock cylinders, striker
plates, sun roof tracks and top off all fluids
- Cooling system inspection
- Includes antifreeze protection level, hoses and
clamps
- Brake inspection
- Includes check of pad thickness and condition of
discs, fluids and lines
- Inspect heating and ventilation dust filter, replace if needed. (Replacement additional*. Dust filter prices vary by model)
- Function check
- Includes warning lamps, headlights, exterior
lights, seat belts, windshield wiper and washer
- Inspect and lubricate throttle linkage
- Check and clean air filter
- Reset flexible service system counter
- Inspect front axle ball joints; check steering play and power steering clutch; and rear differential levels
- Inspect Poly V-Belt for condition
- Inspect starting and charging system and service battery
- Inspect climate control refrigerant

Of course, prices vary from region to region
Old 08-02-2012, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Originally Posted by agedog2gt
Thanks but im not looking for what the service entails.
I consider it a clever idea to know what needs to be done at each service & make sure it is done correctly & with the recommended oils & filters especially if to are considering an independent.

A cheaper quote may not cover all items.

There are a lot of tears shed on this forum by people you do not take an interest in the details of their service & trust the independents & dealers.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:58 PM

2008 Mercedes C300
Originally Posted by Carsy
I consider it a clever idea to know what needs to be done at each service & make sure it is done correctly & with the recommended oils & filters especially if to are considering an independent.

A cheaper quote may not cover all items.

There are a lot of tears shed on this forum by people you do not take an interest in the details of their service & trust the independents & dealers.
I have already looked at the details of the service, your totally missing what answers i asked for.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:07 AM

c300 08
I say go to a reputable import shop that has the programs that the mbdealer has.... mbdealers all rapist...imo
Old 08-27-2012, 03:34 PM

2008 Mercedes C300
Originally Posted by ob4rEaL
I say go to a reputable import shop that has the programs that the mbdealer has.... mbdealers all rapist...imo

hahaha, agreed bud. thx.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
A really good indy shop can touch all the bases of what needs examining. For my B service at my dealer on essentially the same car you have, the price was as follows:

B service parts and labor: $372.85 ($239.80 labor=2.2 hours. Parts = $133.05, of which half is 9 quarts of Mobil 1 oil.)

Brake fluid replace parts & labor: $133.00
Old 08-27-2012, 06:47 PM

CLS63
keep in mind youll want to make sure your engine air filters were done (due at 52k) and trans service was done when it was supposed to have been (39k). Also Brake flush coordinates with B service ideally, you may be due for that as well (every 2 yrs, and only some include it, most are a seperate item) so you may have more costs than just the B. If it was serviced at a dealer prior to your ownership all the service records can be pulled, even cust pay, through the VMI.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by RENNTECH
keep in mind youll want to make sure... trans service was done when it was supposed to have been (39k).

The OP (and I) are manual trans owners...no trans service listed for our cars. Come to think of it, Glyn, or others, any suggestions for the 6 speed beyond the MB official maintenance list?
Old 08-27-2012, 08:54 PM

08 C300 Sport
I'm also curious as to any 6-speed related maintenance tips. Naturally, there's fluid in there, but what does MB recommend it's changed with, and at what interval?
Old 08-27-2012, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by PaulTNewman
I'm also curious as to any 6-speed related maintenance tips. Naturally, there's fluid in there, but what does MB recommend it's changed with, and at what interval?
In my owner's manual, none and never. I'm open to an expert, if unofficial, opinion to the contrary if someone has evidence/experience.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:27 AM

2008 Mercedes C300
Good Information. Thanks fellas!
Old 08-28-2012, 07:34 AM

CLS63
I apologize, completely spaced that part... my bad
Old 08-28-2012, 07:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
I apologize, completely spaced that part... my bad
No problem! Well intended and good advice which is spot on in the other 98% of cases!
Old 08-28-2012, 12:57 PM

C300 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by Sportstick
In my owner's manual, none and never. I'm open to an expert, if unofficial, opinion to the contrary if someone has evidence/experience.
Timely discussion. I had Service B performed a few wks ago (41K miles) and of course was recommended the Transmission Service. I specifically reminded the SA that my car was a 6MT and pressed her on whether it was truly needed and that I couldn't find anything in the manual or service interval documents online. She agreed that there was no specific documentation on it, but that "MB still recommends the flush/fill." I probably should've just declined, but did it anyway. Can never hurt to have fresh fluid, I suppose. When I filled out the follow-up survey, I specifically ranted about how documentation needs to be clear about 6MT needs (or lack thereof) and that I got different answers from different SAs. Will see if I get a response...

Probably doesn't help that I'm currently trying to get re-imbursement for $$ spent on an extended warranty for my Volvo XC90 due to transmission issues. Long story short, the tranny was replaced at 31K miles, which prompted the purchase of the extended warranty. I just received a Class Action packet stating that they're now offering an extended warranty along with re-imbursement for any TCM software updates that were paid out-of-pocket.

Where's Glyn???
Old 08-28-2012, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Doanster
Timely discussion. I had Service B performed a few wks ago (41K miles) and of course was recommended the Transmission Service. I specifically reminded the SA that my car was a 6MT and pressed her on whether it was truly needed and that I couldn't find anything in the manual or service interval documents online. She agreed that there was no specific documentation on it, but that "MB still recommends the flush/fill." I probably should've just declined, but did it anyway. Can never hurt to have fresh fluid, I suppose. When I filled out the follow-up survey, I specifically ranted about how documentation needs to be clear about 6MT needs (or lack thereof) and that I got different answers from different SAs. Will see if I get a response...

Where's Glyn???
I fear that her assertion was based on the commission payment basis of her compensation. I wonder, if there is no documentation, how does she know that MB recommends the flush/fill? But, to my knowledge as well, fresh fluid is not a bad thing, but I still don't know what is actually needed? If MBUSA sends you a reply that this procedure is not on their list of recommended actions, will you pursue a refund from the dealer?

P.S. Here's a more chilling thought...as most dealers almost never see cars with manual trans, I wonder if they stock the proper fluid (whatever that may be), and if not, what did they do? Quickly get some? Use auto trans fluid? Not do it, but bill for it, etc.? I realize how cynical this sounds, but I do wonder about a shop who pressures that strongly for a procedure not written down on any maintenance lists.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:24 PM

C300 Sport 6MT
In my diatribe to MBUSA, I used verbiage like: "Fresh fluid is never a bad thing, but I have big concerns if I paid for service that was not necessary." So yes, if they respond that it was indeed not needed, I will pursue a refund. Although, I would expect that if they responded with that info that they'd initiate some sort of action on their own. Wishful thinking perhaps.

I thought the same thing regarding what fluid they put in. I'll have to review the paperwork, but don't recall that they spelled out the specific type of fluid. As for not actually performing the work, I'm not too worried about that. This is the first MB dealer in the US (family run) and although they've recently been sold to a conglomerate, they have a huge reputation to uphold so can't afford to have a PR nightmare on their hands considering all the "XX News On Your Side Investigation" type stories these days.

Again, let's hope Master Ruck chimes in...
Old 08-28-2012, 02:28 PM

CLS63
FYI: ive been looking into this as it was intriguing to me, and you are right, we do not see many manual trans cars. My foreman has consistantly been ranked within top 30 techs in the nation per mercedes and has many qualifications in this field. i sat him down and grilled him and he insisted no trans service on a manual. Period. It does indeed use a different fluid. part # 001989260310 its about $26 bucks a qt. i happen to stock 10 qts of this stuff (no idea why as we never use it) but we are a very large dealer. I would venture to say most do not have it. I would get a refund from the shop that insisted you perform that service. Only thing i can think of is he/she felt silly for not paying attention (i would know look above! ) lol and didnt want to backtrack on her words.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
FYI: ive been looking into this as it was intriguing to me, and you are right, we do not see many manual trans cars. My foreman has consistantly been ranked within top 30 techs in the nation per mercedes and has many qualifications in this field. i sat him down and grilled him and he insisted no trans service on a manual. Period. It does indeed use a different fluid. part # 001989260310 its about $26 bucks a qt. i happen to stock 10 qts of this stuff (no idea why as we never use it) but we are a very large dealer. I would venture to say most do not have it. I would get a refund from the shop that insisted you perform that service. Only thing i can think of is he/she felt silly for not paying attention (i would know look above! ) lol and didnt want to backtrack on her words.
Doanster: Does your Repair Order show the above part number and that you were billed x number of quarts at approximately $26/quart?
Old 08-28-2012, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
I recently had 5w40 penzoil euro ultra put in instead of 0w40 mobil 1

this was at wi simonson in santa monica

they honored a coupon from fresno for $129 A Service but I have a feeling they did not do the whole service and cut corners and used cheaper oil... not sure though, opinions vary...
Old 08-28-2012, 04:32 PM

CLS63
i know some of our parts for a/b/ trans services are billed out as a "kit" and would not specifically list individual part numbers. I would think for a stick car, it would definitely list the part #'s as there wouldnt be a maintenance "kit"
Old 08-28-2012, 05:11 PM

C300 Sport 6MT
Will check the paperwork when I get home tonight and update you all...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need advice on B1 service for my c300 sport 6 spd.