C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Car Paint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
Car Paint

Hey guys so i bought another c300 but this time it's a 2008 used. I think the last owner put wax on the car or something because every time i wash it and dry it leaves really noticeable swirls and smudges. It's really annoying because it doesn't really look nice. Is there like a way to fix it and have the paint back to normal? It really just annoys me how my paint looks against the sun and do you guys know where to buy the chrome trims or how much it is to replace it because parts of it are chipped off. thank you guys in advance!
Attached Thumbnails Car Paint-securedownload.jpg  
Old 01-19-2014, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
It's probably webbing in the paint. Especially noticeable on black paint. You'd have to get the car polished to fix it, unless it is actually a wax or other substance on the paint.

If you can't tell for sure, you might try applying a cleaner-wax type product to see what results you get. I like Klasse All in One for a good synthetic wax with mild polishing ability.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W204 Sport
Thats what happens when you own a black car. Throw another coat of wax on it.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:51 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
C300 Sport
It is likely the previous owner/seller used "glaze" which is full of oils to hide swirls and give a shine. It's essentially a cover-up that will build-up and smear. It offers no protection.

Use a heavy duty high quality auto wash to remove glaze (auto safe citrus degreaser....test on a small spot first). This will remove all the junk that's smearing around. After washing, if there are no swirls...just re apply a good carnuba wax. If there are swirls, then do a paint correction of clay, 2-step polish, sealant, wax.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:13 PM

C300
Originally Posted by 95_993
It is likely the previous owner/seller used "glaze" which is full of oils to hide swirls and give a shine. It's essentially a cover-up that will build-up and smear. It offers no protection.

Use a heavy duty high quality auto wash to remove glaze (auto safe citrus degreaser....test on a small spot first). This will remove all the junk that's smearing around. After washing, if there are no swirls...just re apply a good carnuba wax. If there are swirls, then do a paint correction of clay, 2-step polish, sealant, wax.
thank you! do you think if i go to a drive in car wash it would remove the glaze?
Old 01-29-2014, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by jett_ricketts
thank you! do you think if i go to a drive in car wash it would remove the glaze?
You stated that you've washed it numerous times and it doesn't come off, so there is no way a car-wash would remove that.
It's either webbing or old wax / glaze like the previous poster said. I would take his advice on that. You could apply a cleaner wax to a test spot and see if that removes it. If it doesn't come off, it's webbing, which is my best guess. At that point, take it to a professional to be compounded / polished. That's what happens when black cars aren't washed and dried very carefully over the years.

This could also happen, especially on a black car, if you're using a soap that has some kind of wax/glaze in it, or if you're drying it with towels that might be contaminated with oils or something similar.

Last edited by acr2001; 01-29-2014 at 12:18 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:21 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
C300 Sport
Not likely. It's got a lot of oils in it which is why you may need a citrus based degreaser to remove it. It's also what is "filling in" and covering a lot of webbing or micro-scratches. Dealers are notorious for doing a quickie-detail and sing glaze to cover up lots of sins. Good news is that Mercedes paint is very hard and once polished out, will hold up well. My other car is a black porsche and the paint is very soft making very easy get the micro-scratches. Wait until spring when the bad wether has passed and get a paint correction from a good quality detailer....your black paint will look amazing. where r you located?
Old 01-29-2014, 06:44 PM

C300
Originally Posted by 95_993
Not likely. It's got a lot of oils in it which is why you may need a citrus based degreaser to remove it. It's also what is "filling in" and covering a lot of webbing or micro-scratches. Dealers are notorious for doing a quickie-detail and sing glaze to cover up lots of sins. Good news is that Mercedes paint is very hard and once polished out, will hold up well. My other car is a black porsche and the paint is very soft making very easy get the micro-scratches. Wait until spring when the bad wether has passed and get a paint correction from a good quality detailer....your black paint will look amazing. where r you located?

Thanks everyone for the replies! and yeah i will get it detailed and have them take off whatever glaze/oil/wax on the paint. I really cant stand it haha! i'm actually going to get the car airbrushed next week i'll probably ask them if they know a good place to get it detailed. I'm located at San Diego, California!
Old 01-30-2014, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Take the car to a good detailer and get it sorted.