C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

pilot sport a/s3 vs. DWS vs. eagle F1 asy???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts
C300 Sport 4Matic
Question pilot sport a/s3 vs. DWS vs. eagle F1 asy???

so which one of these is better?....go!
Old 02-01-2014, 05:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 GLC300 / 2021 C300
Independent of price I vote for the Michelins. I had DWS's on my 128i for several years and was quite happy with them but they are not performance tires. The tires were quiet, had good tread life, and inexpensive. However, they did not work well in the snow in a RWD car in Maryland. On a 4Matic they may be fine but I would not choose them over dedicated winter tires for RWD.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
This is no longer a fair comparison...when Michelin had the Pilot Sport A/S+, the technology generations were comparable. However, with the launch of the AS3 successor to the A/S+, Michelin has leap-frogged the others.

I had ContiProContacts on both our C and E when new....mediocre tires at best. I replaced the C's tires with A/S+ and the E's with DWS, making great improvements for both. More recently, I replaced the DWS with AS3, and they were markedly better once again. I plan to replace the A/S+ with AS3 on the C as well. I suggest you choose the same.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
+1^ Wise advice.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport 4Matic
Originally Posted by Sportstick
This is no longer a fair comparison...when Michelin had the Pilot Sport A/S+, the technology generations were comparable. However, with the launch of the AS3 successor to the A/S+, Michelin has leap-frogged the others.

I had ContiProContacts on both our C and E when new....mediocre tires at best. I replaced the C's tires with A/S+ and the E's with DWS, making great improvements for both. More recently, I replaced the DWS with AS3, and they were markedly better once again. I plan to replace the A/S+ with AS3 on the C as well. I suggest you choose the same.
Thanks Sportstick!....always count on your input! The only thing that worries me is snow reliability. I'm in NJ and lately we've been getting lots of snow. I don't want to sacrifice performance but also don't wanna get stuck on the road lol
Old 02-02-2014, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
If you want Premium winter performance you need a spare set of wheels & something like Blizzak's.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport 4Matic
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
If you want Premium winter performance you need a spare set of wheels & something like Blizzak's.
maybe i should just do that ....get winter tires for my 17" OEM rims and get new wheels from Power wheel pro with pilots as3!... I've been eyeing these for a while now! 18" 823 style

http://www.powerwheelspro.com/shop/p...roducts_id=674
Old 02-02-2014, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Glyn is absolutely correct (again!). With the Nor'easters which come up the coast and wallop New Jersey from time to time, I could not see going without dedicated winter tires, as annoying as the changeover may be. Think of it this way....every mile you spend on your winter tires, you are saving your new AS3 to really enjoy them for a longer time. With some of TireRack's authorized installers providing off-season tire storage, it's really just a matter of a 20 lug nut "pit stop" twice a year. With some low cost wheels from them, they can send the complete assemblies to your installer, just waiting for you to drop by. Blizzak WS70 (NOT the LM series, which claim to be "performance winter", but tires in that category are another compromise and excel at neither), or now even better Michelin X Ice Xi3 (lousy naming!) are excellent. You might find some clearance sales or try to sneak through to Spring this year, if you're lucky. Meanwhile, here's some reading.....as great as AS3 are for their primary purpose, there is no such thing as a true all year tire in an area which gets all four seasons.

http://www.beyond.ca/michelin-pilot-...w/21462.html/2

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=177

If you don't want to go for winter tires, when the snow gets heavy, just ask the Governor to close down some lanes and no one will go anywhere anyway!!

Last edited by Sportstick; 02-02-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by MBSebas87
maybe i should just do that ....get winter tires for my 17" OEM rims and get new wheels from Power wheel pro with pilots as3!... I've been eyeing these for a while now! 18" 823 style

http://www.powerwheelspro.com/shop/p...roducts_id=674
We were posting simultaneously and it seems we came to similar conclusions. Those are beautiful wheels!
Old 02-02-2014, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Sportstick

Was the snow performance gain noticeable when switching from DWS to AS3? I have DWS atm and it does quite well where I live.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by snowmuch
Was the snow performance gain noticeable when switching from DWS to AS3? I have DWS atm and it does quite well where I live.
I'm sorry I cannot address this in much detail. We changed over to the Blizzaks before significant snow fell. When we had the opportunity to run the DWS in snow, they did well for an all-season tire. However, in all other aspects so far before we took them off this season, the AS3 have been superior to the DWS.