C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400
View Poll Results: Any problems with your new C-class W205 Mercedes Benz ?
Yes
63.49%
No
36.51%
Voters: 441. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2015, 06:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications and General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Mercedes Benz C-class W205 Problems Malfunction What Is Your Experience ?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.25 average.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c class w205
Originally Posted by Hans H
I live in the Netherlands and my car is manufactured in Germany.
Many thanks iam in the uk c220 sport built in South Africa! Was a little disappointed it was not Germany!
But I gleemed from Google that the SA factory has one of the highest quality rating in the MB group!

Paul
Old 10-24-2014, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205
I don't think it makes any difference where the car is manufactured for the software; should be the same everywhere.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:35 AM

2015 C400 4matic W205
I'm experiencing a new problem. This problem has happened 2 times over the past month. I would approach my car with the key on me and try to open the door like I normally would with keyless go, only the door doesn't open. Same thing when trying the other door handles. Then I took out my key and tried using the remote unlock....didn't work either. In fact, none of the key functions worked and I was locked out of the car. This is pretty embarrassing and frustrating. After a minute of no luck, I am about to try opening the car with the mechanical key (which i'm told will set off the alarm system), all of a sudden the key works again like normal. Has anyone else experienced this? I imagine it will difficult for the dealer to troubleshoot this problem when it happens so infrequently.....
Old 11-11-2014, 11:37 AM

2015 C400 4Matic
Originally Posted by jbbeauso
I'm experiencing a new problem. This problem has happened 2 times over the past month. I would approach my car with the key on me and try to open the door like I normally would with keyless go, only the door doesn't open. Same thing when trying the other door handles. Then I took out my key and tried using the remote unlock....didn't work either. In fact, none of the key functions worked and I was locked out of the car. This is pretty embarrassing and frustrating. After a minute of no luck, I am about to try opening the car with the mechanical key (which i'm told will set off the alarm system), all of a sudden the key works again like normal. Has anyone else experienced this? I imagine it will difficult for the dealer to troubleshoot this problem when it happens so infrequently.....
same here, if i didnt read your post I prob wont even remember this has happened twice to me.

On my delivery day, sales tried to use the key to unlock and there was a hiccup, a min or so later the key kinda reset itself and worked. His explanation :" if you try to push the handle while somehow pressed the remote smart key the lock computer might get tricked and confused" or something along that line. indulged in the excitement i couldn't care much on that day.

then last Thursday it happened again! right when I need to get into my car infront of a Tims and some lady friend was with me.

no response from the smart key, and touching the door handle didn't work. I removed the mechanically key and passed my remote key to my lady friend, then started poking around the mechanically lock hole. Maybe a minute or so later (but the moment definitely felt longer when you werent happy) it worked again. I thought my friend had magically reset my remote key.

it was embarrassing for a moment, other than that i have nothing against my c400.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:44 AM

2015 C400 4Matic
Oh and btw, i think the command touch pad will lock into pressed position when your are powered off.

not sure if that was what you had experienced because mine is working perfectly. and did you get it fixed?
The following users liked this post:
Dunn (12-25-2017)
Old 11-11-2014, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,060 Likes on 699 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by utsenmo
same here, if i didnt read your post I prob wont even remember this has happened twice to me.

On my delivery day, sales tried to use the key to unlock and there was a hiccup, a min or so later the key kinda reset itself and worked. His explanation :" if you try to push the handle while somehow pressed the remote smart key the lock computer might get tricked and confused" or something along that line. indulged in the excitement i couldn't care much on that day.

then last Thursday it happened again! right when I need to get into my car infront of a Tims and some lady friend was with me.

no response from the smart key, and touching the door handle didn't work. I removed the mechanically key and passed my remote key to my lady friend, then started poking around the mechanically lock hole. Maybe a minute or so later (but the moment definitely felt longer when you werent happy) it worked again. I thought my friend had magically reset my remote key.

it was embarrassing for a moment, other than that i have nothing against my c400.

Strong radio waves or magnetic fields in the area? Under power lines?
Old 11-11-2014, 12:05 PM

2015 C400 4matic W205

Well I'm sort of glad i'm not the only one....maybe it is a software problem that can be updated. Have you reported your issue to MB?
Old 11-11-2014, 12:06 PM

2015 C400 4Matic
Originally Posted by c4004matic
Strong radio waves or magnetic fields in the area? Under power lines?
i don't know, but there was definitely some big power cables over my head lol.

now that i think of it, i too delivery of my car underneath a big power pole too.

maybe your comment has truth.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580

Btw this is not a Mercedes only issue it happens with these systems in other cars. One operator error that is quite common is to press the interior of the handle and to push the lock button at the same time inadvertently. We are all used to grabbing the handle to open it. When you do that your thumb will automatically touch the closing dimple. Yes, this locks rather than opens the door. The reason it works the second time around is because you probably get the key far enough for the system to reset itself. Next time it happens simply walk away from the car a few feet, return to the door and put your 4 fingers inside the handle, keep your thumb away, it should work fine. At my Acura dealer there was a lady that was so dense she couldn't learn how to open it correctly even with technical coaching. Again, keep your thumb away from the handle! Another thing, once you put your hand in wait a second for the lock to open before you pull on the handle.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:08 PM

2015 C400 4matic W205
Oh and btw, i think the command touch pad will lock into pressed position when your are powered off.

not sure if that was what you had experienced because mine is working perfectly. and did you get it fixed?
Not sure...either way it goes hours or even days of not working at all with both the engine on and off. The issue is still not resolved for me. When I brought it in to be fixed, the dealership realized they had ordered the wrong part. The part I needed is on backorder. I am waiting for it to arrive. In the meanwhile I am getting very familiar with the scroll wheel.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:12 PM

2015 C400 4Matic
Btw this is not a Mercedes only issue it happens with these systems in other cars. One operator error that is quite common is to press the interior of the handle and to push the lock button at the same time inadvertently. We are all used to grabbing the handle to open it. When you do that your thumb will automatically touch the closing dimple. Yes, this locks rather than opens the door. The reason it works the second time around is because you probably get the key far enough for the system to reset itself. Next time it happens simply walk away from the car a few feet, return to the door and put your 4 fingers inside the handle, keep your thumb away, it should work fine. At my Acura dealer there was a lady that was so dense she couldn't learn how to open it correctly even with technical coaching. Again, keep your thumb away from the handle! Another thing, once you put your hand in wait a second for the lock to open before you pull on the handle.
the second time when it happened was because i walked about 20m away and looked back to see if my car was locked. I tend to click the lock button anyways just in case. and realized the signal led didnt flash. so i tried to unlock, lock, panic and everything. nothing worked remotely.

So i guess its not about my fat hand lol. must be the power cables or strong field.

But thanks for your knowledge!
Old 11-11-2014, 12:12 PM

2015 C400 4matic W205

now that i think of it, i too delivery of my car underneath a big power pole too.

This happened in my garage and in my driveway. There are no transmission lines within the immediate vicinity. Just the standard wifi, garage door opener, wireless phone RF signals based on what I know.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:14 PM

2015 C400 4Matic
Not sure...either way it goes hours or even days of not working at all with both the engine on and off. The issue is still not resolved for me. When I brought it in to be fixed, the dealership realized they had ordered the wrong part. The part I needed is on backorder. I am waiting for it to arrive. In the meanwhile I am getting very familiar with the scroll wheel.
Please keep us posted. hope this is an outlier case.

I remember my other Accord V6 failed its memory seat on day 2 lol. dealer replaced the panel.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:16 PM

2015 C400 4matic W205
the second time when it happened was because i walked about 20m away and looked back to see if my car was locked. I tend to click the lock button anyways just in case. and realized the signal led didnt flash. so i tried to unlock, lock, panic and everything. nothing worked remotely.

So i guess its not about my fat hand lol. must be the power cables or strong field.

But thanks for your knowledge!
Although this may be a contributing factor, it is still unacceptable and indicates a design flaw IMO. I've never had an issue with touchless go features on my other car and it was always used under the same conditions and in the same location.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580

All these systems can be affected by strong magnetic fields like those under big electric distribution lines (one of the disclaimers in the manual). If you hear the power lines humming there is a very strong field. In fact areas of very strong fields like the main distribution lines very close to a power plant can screw around with even the engine management system. That is one of the tests that car systems have to go through.
So a heads up, if there is ever an EMP associated with the zombie apocalypse, you can probably count out your new car to get away from the walking dead, better keep an old car without any electronics handy
Old 11-11-2014, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Although this may be a contributing factor, it is still unacceptable and indicates a design flaw IMO. I've never had an issue with touchless go features on my other car and it was always used under the same conditions and in the same location.

If you are sure you are doing everything right it may be faulty after all. One thing I would also so before going crazy on the problem is to change the battery on the key. Though everything in the car is new, the off the shelf battery they put in there might be years old. One thing I always check for age is "new" tires. The date of manufacture can be figured out from the sidewall. Sometimes your "new" tire may have been sitting in a warehouse for years!

Last edited by c4004matic; 11-11-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:08 PM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Btw this is not a Mercedes only issue it happens with these systems in other cars.
Not trying to imply that it never happens in other cars but my wife's Honda (yes... Honda) has smart entry and in over a year and a half in owning we've never experienced it not unlock. Once you put your hand on the handle (or even slide fingers behind the handle), it will unlock the door immediately.
...as long as the key was on you (pocket, purse, etc.)

We've put the keys next to cell phones and it will still work.

Honestly, it's one of my favorite "new" car features.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:11 PM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
sounds like a really frustrating problem. Please keep us updated if it happens again. I really don't feel its an interference issue but we can't be sure yet, of course
Old 11-12-2014, 03:11 AM

2014 C Class Saloon C250 Diesel AMG Line RWD, Nissan GTR
I have hit a problem with my Comand 20 Navigation in the UK.

I no longer get traffic alerts and updates. The subscription is shown as current, but with the Dynamic Route Setting (or any others) there are no traffic updates being received. All the options under the Traffic setting are greyed out. I was going to head to the dealers, but wondered if anyone else had a similar problem.

I have connection to all the online services via my phone, so there should be no issue there, although I believe in the UK the traffic updates are sent across the FM radio network (radio works fine in the car).

Thanks
Old 11-13-2014, 11:17 AM

W205 C200 Sport Premium Plus. October 2018. 1497cc with 48 volt battery eq
LED on front passenger door handle stopped working (locator lighting function) will wait for first service for fix.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:55 AM

c class w205
Angry

[QUOTE=p623;6204756]Hi, had my C220 about six weeks, on the day I collected it the complete Audio 20
system froze up simply nothing would work!
went directly back to the dealers where the salesman held down the "on" button
until it re booted, i noticed that when i had the balance set off centre the bass would decrease progressively until with the balance fully over to the left there is no low frequency at all unlike the right side which kept its low frequency content when fully over, so sound quality is disappointing compared to the w204 I traded I tried w205 c250 in the showroom its audio 20 behaved normally i.e. bass correct on left and right!
Car went into the dealers they agreed this was not right but no error codes were found!
they tried another W205 c220 that was in for service and this showed the same balance problem as mine?
Last week it lost al external inputs SD card and both USBs showed as not present (came back after engine restart) So back to the dealers, the workshop technician remembered he had seen a notice from MB that they are aware of the problem and are working on an update, I do hope it address the BASS problem!

Paul
Does anybody have the button combination for getting into the W205 engineering menu yet?[/QUOTE

Had the software done yesterday, no improvement on Audio 20 bass/balance problem
Also my boot lid has stopped its final closing action, ned to bang it shut!
Dealer says it needs a part from Germany!!
Old 11-15-2014, 11:48 AM

2015 C400 4Matic
so a friend of mine was able to recreate this smart key problem. he said his bmw 328 is like the same. it happens when you somehow unlock the car, get inside, maybe power on the electronics and drool all over the place and come out of the car without firing up the engine.

I swear i do that alot so it might be what happened.

Additionally, do you know how to use the "kick" function of the hands free trunk access? I kicked all over the place and still couldnt get it working lol. or do all Canadian c400s not have it?
Old 11-15-2014, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Additionally, do you know how to use the "kick" function of the hands free trunk access? I kicked all over the place and still couldnt get it working lol. or do all Canadian c400s not have it?
If you don't have the optional hands free package, you can kick all you want and that trunk still won't open. Ask me how I know ....
Old 11-15-2014, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by StanNH
If you don't have the optional hands free package, you can kick all you want and that trunk still won't open. Ask me how I know ....
I swear, the brain power of some people is astonishingly limited! People spend 50k+ on a car and they are not even aware of what options they ordered! Even worse it seems that only a small minority even eyes the manual! Modern cars have enough technology to embarrass an 1970's jet liner, however, people expect all that technology to be moron proof and whine when its not!
Old 11-15-2014, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
I swear, the brain power of some people is astonishingly limited! People spend 50k+ on a car and they are not even aware of what options they ordered! Even worse it seems that only a small minority even eyes the manual! Modern cars have enough technology to embarrass an 1970's jet liner, however, people expect all that technology to be moron proof and whine when its not!
The manuals, both printed and online, show all available features. It is sometimes not clear which features are standard on the car, which are part of an option package, which are standalone options, or which are only available in certain markets. It can be confusing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.25 average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes Benz C-class W205 Problems Malfunction What Is Your Experience ?