C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

new C300 with Engine noise

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:21 PM
Former Member

Received 94 Likes on 89 Posts
CLS
This is not a syllogism. You beg or confuse the question by injecting false issues. If I'm the guy with the cold, comparative fortuity isn't my analysis, but just how I feel, not some other more unfortunate soul. I may sympathize but it does nothing for my cold.

Logic is immaterial to emotion.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
Just an update on my C300. It received the wrist pin repair in December then spent three weeks out of service in January from complications related to the repair (oil pan warped and leaking/dip stick tube leaking had to get parts from Germany blah blah blah). However that was at 22k miles. It goes in for its 40k mile service tomorrow and hasn't had a single hiccup or missed a beat since. It averages 35-36 mpg for an entire tank commuting.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205
Originally Posted by GrFa
Just an update on my C300. It received the wrist pin repair in December then spent three weeks out of service in January from complications related to the repair (oil pan warped and leaking/dip stick tube leaking had to get parts from Germany blah blah blah). However that was at 22k miles. It goes in for its 40k mile service tomorrow and hasn't had a single hiccup or missed a beat since. It averages 35-36 mpg for an entire tank commuting.
Well that's good to know yours is working out great. I recently got mine back and the engine noise from what I can tell is gone, but mine is having to go back. I'm have a squealing noise under heavy acceleration (not the tires) it sounds as though something it's not getting enough oiling. It also wants to stumble from time to when starting.

How many miles total are you getting to the tank?
Old 07-23-2017, 11:11 PM

W205
.... double post
Old 07-24-2017, 09:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
Originally Posted by H8onit
Well that's good to know yours is working out great. I recently got mine back and the engine noise from what I can tell is gone, but mine is having to go back. I'm have a squealing noise under heavy acceleration (not the tires) it sounds as though something it's not getting enough oiling. It also wants to stumble from time to when starting.

How many miles total are you getting to the tank?
I usually get 525-550 per tank depending on when I fill it. Usually does better then what is calculated by the obc by .5-1 mpg.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:14 PM

2015 W205 C300
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and what a sad way to write my first post. I recently bought a 2015CPO and got the wrist pins issue. However, my reason for posting is to ask for some advice.

When I was negotiating the price with my dealership, I specifically asked if this vehicle was affected by the wrist pins issue, and the salesman "supposedly" checked for me and said no. I asked again right before finalizing the deal, and again I was assured the car didn't have the problem. Unfortunately, I did not get this in writing and after two days driving my car I heard the cold start rattle and took it to service next day.

The diagnosis came positive and the engine is being rebuilt as I type. I have contacted the sales manager and told him I specifically asked about this issue before buying the car and asked if they could extend my the CPO warranty beyond the 1 year unlimited miles. After all, I believe it is a fair request since I inquired about the issue. My question is: Do you think this is too much to ask? Any suggestions on how to approach this situation? Thanks!
Old 09-16-2017, 10:30 PM
Former Member

CLS
Originally Posted by pakko
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and what a sad way to write my first post. I recently bought a 2015CPO and got the wrist pins issue. However, my reason for posting is to ask for some advice.

When I was negotiating the price with my dealership, I specifically asked if this vehicle was affected by the wrist pins issue, and the salesman "supposedly" checked for me and said no. I asked again right before finalizing the deal, and again I was assured the car didn't have the problem. Unfortunately, I did not get this in writing and after two days driving my car I heard the cold start rattle and took it to service next day.

The diagnosis came positive and the engine is being rebuilt as I type. I have contacted the sales manager and told him I specifically asked about this issue before buying the car and asked if they could extend my the CPO warranty beyond the 1 year unlimited miles. After all, I believe it is a fair request since I inquired about the issue. My question is: Do you think this is too much to ask? Any suggestions on how to approach this situation? Thanks!
I'd seek recession of the sale contract asap.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by CFG
I'd seek recession of the sale contract asap.
Yup.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:52 PM
Former Member

CLS
Originally Posted by auditoamg
Yup.
Yikes. Autocorrect sucks. Recision.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:07 PM

2015 W205 C300
Problem is, I took delivery of the vehicle a week after signing the contract. They were finishing the CPO certification, so the problem was identified about 10 days after. Also, I'm in Texas and there is not too much protection as a car buyer.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:15 PM
Former Member

CLS
Problem is, I took delivery of the vehicle a week after signing the contract. They were finishing the CPO certification, so the problem was identified about 10 days after. Also, I'm in Texas and there is not too much protection as a car buyer.
Dude, it's a standard contract formation issue: fraud in the inducement. Christ, get a lawyer and sue for recision or negligent misrepresentation. Fraudulent concealment tolls any statute of limitions. That the subject matter is a car means nothing.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:19 PM

W205
Man your story sounds similar to what happen to me. You have 2 options at this point. Trade it in or let them fix it. I had mine fixed ran good until I totalled it 2 weeks after.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:22 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
If the repair goes perfect...all is well and no problems. You will have all new parts/engine.

If it doesn't go well, you will have to make multiple trips back to the dealer. How many you want to make before you throw in the towel, is up to you.

Is the dealer giving you a nice loaner to drive during the down-time? If so, who cares.

I guess the prudent thing to have done before buying, assuming you knew of the wrist pin issue, would be to ask for written documentation that the car wasn't effected. I know you received verbal confirmation, but some sort of print-out from MB would have been nice.

Let us know if it all works out for you. My repair went bad and I got frustrated with bringing it back to the dealer and driving their loaners and dumped the car. I was in a new city and needed Navigation and theirs did not have that.

Anyway, I'm not turned off and will be ordering a C300 2018 next week and my wife has a GLC300 on order.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:29 PM

2015 W205 C300
Just an update: Car still on the shop. It is getting close to the two-week mark. They gave me a GLA, not impressed but okay.
I spoke to the dealership's GM and try to convince them to get me an extended warranty. That did not work!

What really surprises me is how little MBUSA and even the dealership have done to try to please an upset costumer. My previous car a non-luxury brand vehicle got a wheel scratched during routine service, and they fixed it and gave me the next car's service free for the inconvenience. I didn't even have to ask.

Oh well, live and learn!
Old 09-22-2017, 07:59 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 C300
I got a 7 year 100k warranty. Push hard for it. It's the least they can do for your devalued vehicle.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 994 Likes on 766 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by mmaldin
I got a 7 year 100k warranty. Push hard for it. It's the least they can do for your devalued vehicle.
Warranty repairs reduce vehicle value? Based on what?
Old 09-22-2017, 10:43 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 C300
Based on common sense. I would not consider purchasing a recent model vehicle with a rebuilt engine when I could purchase one that hasn't been disassembled at a local dealership. There are too many variables based on the skill of the local technician. Hence a lower valuation that MB should provide compensation for. They agreed with me when I presented that position and gave me the extended warranty. I am just advising the OP to ask for something MB should provide without having to ask for.
The following 2 users liked this post by mmaldin:
pakko (09-24-2017), removedCFGaccount (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 10:53 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
Based on common sense. I would not consider purchasing a recent model vehicle with a rebuilt engine when I could purchase one that hasn't been disassembled at a local dealership. There are too many variables based on the skill of the local technician. Hence a lower valuation that MB should provide compensation for. They agreed with me when I presented that position and gave me the extended warranty. I am just advising the OP to ask for something MB should provide without having to ask for.
I agree; I didn't have the patience to keep going back to the dealer after my wrist pin repair went bad. I guess what caught my attention was when I got the repair invoice and it stated a tool broke off in the engine and they had had to remove the engine and send it to a machine shop to remove the tool.

I knew at that point my car was toast. I didn't want it, even if they did offer me an extended warranty. I feel bad for the buyer who got it. I think the dealer where I traded it in wholesaled it.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:06 PM

2015 W205 C300
Everyone seems so reluctant to extend the warranty. Did you get it directly from MB or the dealership? I'm not really sure how to push harder.... the regional manager at MB said "call back when you get the car and we'll go from there".
Old 11-29-2017, 03:21 PM

C300 4Matic
C300 Engine Ticking Noise

bought my 2015 C300 brand new, end of Dec 2014 Toronto Canada. This was supposed to be my life time savings car! After many complaints (usual answer that it was the injectors), finally the dealer replaced the pistons, wrist pins etc.Seemed to be fine for a few months, but once again the ticking sound (almost like the old engines’ noisy tappets used to!). Does it ALL the time, even on a hot engine. Sounds like a Diesel engine!! Don’t know what to do now except legal action which MB knows most of us can’t afford.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C350e with Comand, Vision Package and seat package, 2017 Mini Cooper S 7
Took my C350e to Mercedes themselves, in Sydney. My engine seems to clatter as though all the "tappets" are set wrong.
Mercedes chief mechanic said it is the injectors. Apparently there are 2 injectors per cylinder and it causes more noise.(?)
He was adamant that there was nothing wrong and volunteered to start up any of their 2 litre cars to show that all had the same noise.

I was not fully convinced, but, it doesn't seem to affect the performance.
Taking it in for its first service and for a seat belt recall next week, to a different dealer. I'll see what they say.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:05 PM

C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Mplayers2006
My car already had the wrist pin issue fixed before I owned the car but I still can hear a rattle/ ticking noise only when Im Acceleating in lower gears and speeds less than 25. The ticking sound has the same characteristic of a diesel engin noise, if that make any sense. I went to mercedes and they claim its just the Characteristics sound of the engine. Also they sàid maybe it's the fuel injectors making that sound. Funny thing is, none of their loaner c300 share this "sound characteristics".

Any one who had their wrist pin issue fixed, does the rattle/ticking go away completely or just subsides a little.
Yes..I have a 2015 C300 & the pistons, wrist pins etc were done after many visits & insistence to the dealer at about 40,000 Kms. Seemed Ok for a few months but since then, it’s sounding once again like a mini Diesel engine even during warm temperatures..Presently it has 50,000kms (Toronto, Canada.)
Old 11-29-2017, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 994 Likes on 766 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by Brampton
Yes..I have a 2015 C300 & the pistons, wrist pins etc were done after many visits & insistence to the dealer at about 40,000 Kms. Seemed Ok for a few months but since then, it’s sounding once again like a mini Diesel engine even during warm temperatures..Presently it has 50,000kms (Toronto, Canada.)
The piston noise is only on startup, when it's cold, and goes away usually within a minute or so.

If it's really noisy, it's usually an oil pressure problem causing noisy VVT gears, or a high pressure fuel pump on it's way out. Oil pressure problems are overlooked by many techs, as the car doesn't set codes for it even with zero oil pressure.
The following users liked this post:
Brampton (11-29-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Originally Posted by JIMSHANN
Took my C350e to Mercedes themselves, in Sydney. My engine seems to clatter as though all the "tappets" are set wrong.
Mercedes chief mechanic said it is the injectors. Apparently there are 2 injectors per cylinder and it causes more noise.(?)
He was adamant that there was nothing wrong and volunteered to start up any of their 2 litre cars to show that all had the same noise.

I was not fully convinced, but, it doesn't seem to affect the performance.
Taking it in for its first service and for a seat belt recall next week, to a different dealer. I'll see what they say.
Adjustable tappets... ah back in the day.

youre hearing piezo injector noise. Entirely normal on modern DI cars.

more efficient but noisier than older engine tech
Old 05-06-2018, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 449 Likes on 345 Posts
2015 C300 4Matic Sport
Exclamation

I am about to buy a fully loaded 2015 C300 with 19k miles on it.

The bulletin says "Engine 274.920 (LS) Modified wrist pins are installed as of engines: 274 920 E0 043259 (as of about April 20, 2015) and 274 920 30 406602 (as of about March 27, 2015)"

The engine info from the vin dump says 274920 E0 054561. Since my engine number is higher than 043259, does it mean no wrist pin issue?

The delivery date was : 07/02/2015

Are these engine numbers sequential?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: new C300 with Engine noise