C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Anyone else get neck pain from the seats?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 05:46 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
W205 C400
Anyone else get neck pain from the seats?

I am getting really bad neck pain from my C400. It seems like the shoulder and headrest area really doesn't fit me well.

The headrest is too far forward, and the shoulder is too far back.

Anyone else have this problem?
Old 04-22-2015, 07:04 AM

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts
E53
When I first sat in my C400, I thought the seats felt too firm, but I was wrong. The seats are very comfortable. I've spent hours at the wheel and feel fine when getting out of the car.

The headrest adjusts forward and back manually, in addition to the electrically operated up and down. Moving the headrest fully forward works for some drivers and interferes with others. My wife can't sit in the car with the headrest forward; her head would be pushed forward the entire time. She sits more upright than me. I think that because I sit with the seat more reclined, the headrest works well in a more forward position.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
It took me a while to find my "sweet spot," but it is there. It may take you a lot of playing around with the bottom tilt, seat back angle, and headrest adjustments, but most drivers can find an ideal position somewhere in all those adjustments.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
I take it the seats differ dependent on the model line? SE/Sport/AMG Line etc? I find the AMG line seats very comfortable, as above, after 2hrs+ driving I have no back pain etc and I live with 2 herniated discs. They could perhaps be a bit more hugging on the bolsters, but then I'm used to the sports seats in my Z4 keeping me in place.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220 Bluetec
Nope, I ca spend hour after hour without problem.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:35 AM

2006 R-350, 2015 C-400, 2011 VW Golf Sport
My C400 AMG seats are the most comfortable I have ever had!
Old 04-27-2015, 11:20 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
W205
The only issue I have with my seat is the head rest is too high for me (5'8"). The height is designed for someone that's 6'+ (my opinion); otherwise it's comfortable. The one plus on the seat is the leg extension which takes pressure off my rear-end on a long drive. The distronic also helps.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:33 PM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300 RWD Sport Premium
By far one of the most comfortable cars I have ever driven. Drove three hours non stop. Felt like three minutes.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:22 PM

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
Originally Posted by rakaye47
The headrest is too far forward, and the shoulder is too far back.
Definitely sounds like the headrest is pushed forward - there's a button the side to release it and push back.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:26 PM

C400 4MATIC, AMG Sport Package, Panoramic Sunroof, Airmatic, 19" AMG bi-black rims, Tinted windows
I just drove for 6 hours and felt great the entire time. Find these seats really comfortable with just the right amount of firmness. I also don't even use the headrest.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:04 AM

C300 estate hybrid sport premium plus
It is the most uncomfortable car I have had in 30 years of driving. The seat digs in on the upper backrest giving an inflamed back. MB not interested. Last MB I will ever have. I have a C300 hybrid. Been at the dealer 4 times for gearbox re-programming and traffic reports still not fully working. Poor mpg.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C400
I found the driver seat on my C400 to be pretty comfortable and really had no stiffness or issues after spending 7hrs in the car on a single day. My wife on the other hand could never seem to get the passenger seat adjusted properly and said that it was comfortable for the first hour or so but was uncomfortable the rest of the way.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:39 PM

2015 C250d W205
Guys I have to stress that I have never had a problem in any car ever before, and I cover roughly 300-400 miles a week. The W205 AMG line I have bought is my pride and joy. My wife is jealous of it due to the attention it gets. I love it. Sometimes I rub my cheek on its diamond white front wing so it knows I love it.

HOWEVER, it has the most uncomfortable seats I have ever experienced in a car. I have had professional massages etc for the tightness it is causing in between my shoulders and lower neck. I simply CANT get comfortable in it. I have flipping tried everything. I am actually at my wits end and its started to make me upset. I've now played around with so many settings I have forgotten what the correct driving position is meant to be. Tilt angle, thigh rest length, back angle, lumbar support, steering wheel height, etc etc etc, I have tried everything. I just can't get comfortable in there. The entire time I'm driving I am making adjustments to it. This has been going on for a month. I searched the words "w205 uncomfortable seats" to find this thread. I'm 5'10" and normal/bulky build. I'm a bog standard guy. The head rest IS too high. And it IS too far forward. Before a vaguely patronising suggestion to push it back comes along, I will iterate that I know how to adjust a headrest. But the position is all wrong. The upper backrest does not touch any part of my back above L1-L2 vertebral level. The seats are gorgeous to look at, actually quite nice to sit on in the transient few moments when you first sit down, but reveal themselves to be some of the worst ergonomically designed seats I have ever experienced. Never had this problem in several previous S and E classes owned within family. Most recently I have owned an Audi S5 and my wife owns a brand new BMW 435d, no such problems.

It's sort of embarrassing. My wife has failed the car. My friends have openly said "these are bloody uncomfortable". I am distraught.

Last edited by DrShah; 10-21-2015 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:21 AM

W205 C400
Originally Posted by DrShah
Guys I have to stress that I have never had a problem in any car ever before, and I cover roughly 300-400 miles a week. The W205 AMG line I have bought is my pride and joy. My wife is jealous of it due to the attention it gets. I love it. Sometimes I rub my cheek on its diamond white front wing so it knows I love it.

HOWEVER, it has the most uncomfortable seats I have ever experienced in a car. I have had professional massages etc for the tightness it is causing in between my shoulders and lower neck. I simply CANT get comfortable in it. I have flipping tried everything. I am actually at my wits end and its started to make me upset. I've now played around with so many settings I have forgotten what the correct driving position is meant to be. Tilt angle, thigh rest length, back angle, lumbar support, steering wheel height, etc etc etc, I have tried everything. I just can't get comfortable in there. The entire time I'm driving I am making adjustments to it. This has been going on for a month. I searched the words "w205 uncomfortable seats" to find this thread. I'm 5'10" and normal/bulky build. I'm a bog standard guy. The head rest IS too high. And it IS too far forward. Before a vaguely patronising suggestion to push it back comes along, I will iterate that I know how to adjust a headrest. But the position is all wrong. The upper backrest does not touch any part of my back above L1-L2 vertebral level. The seats are gorgeous to look at, actually quite nice to sit on in the transient few moments when you first sit down, but reveal themselves to be some of the worst ergonomically designed seats I have ever experienced. Never had this problem in several previous S and E classes owned within family. Most recently I have owned an Audi S5 and my wife owns a brand new BMW 435d, no such problems.

It's sort of embarrassing. My wife has failed the car. My friends have openly said "these are bloody uncomfortable". I am distraught.
For what its worth, I ended up strapping a pillow onto the seat where my neck goes. It helps, but is kinda ridiculous that I need to do such a mod for such a pricey car.

Needless to say, my next car will be a BMW with contour seats.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 C450
I drive around 30k miles per year, had a C400 previously and now the C450. No problems for me yet and I don't foresee any after already clocking so many miles. It's a shame the seats don't work for you, such a beautiful car ortherwise.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Benz, like any manufacturer, has to design to suit the general population and provides more than enough adjustment. You obviously are unusual so get rid of the car. Why did you buy it in the first place if you find the seating unsatisfactory for your peculiar build! Benz seats are always firm & force good posture. In the US this has frequently been criticised. But after 12 hours on the road you will thank them vs soft seats.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:19 AM

W205 C400
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Benz, like any manufacturer, has to design to suit the general population and provides more than enough adjustment. You obviously are unusual so get rid of the car. Why did you buy it in the first place if you find the seating unsatisfactory for your peculiar build! Benz seats are always firm & force good posture. In the US this has frequently been criticised. But after 12 hours on the road you will thank them vs soft seats.
If anything, the angled forward head restraint promotes hunchback posture.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

If anything, the angled forward head restraint promotes hunchback posture.
It can be adjusted! Your head should never get anywhere near it. It's there to prevent whiplash in case of an accident.

EDIT: BTW why did you buy the car if you fall into that 1% that doesn't fit the seats. I passed the same comment to my sister-in-law who has owned a long string of BMW's & is now complaining about the seats in her new 4 Series.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 12-06-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:10 PM

W205 C400
It can be adjusted! Your head should never get anywhere near it. It's there to prevent whiplash in case of an accident.

EDIT: BTW why did you buy the car if you fall into that 1% that doesn't fit the seats. I passed the same comment to my sister-in-law who has owned a long string of BMW's & is now complaining about the seats in her new 4 Series.
I already have it as far away from my head as possible. The problem is when I floor the car, of course my body will be pushed back into the seat, and my neck gets bent like this in a > shape.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

I already have it as far away from my head as possible. The problem is when I floor the car, of course my body will be pushed back into the seat, and my neck gets bent like this in a > shape.
You findings are not typical. Must be your shape.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:16 AM

C450
Odd, I love the leather seats in my c450.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:32 PM

W205 C400
You findings are not typical. Must be your shape.
Nope, not just me. Tons of other people on the web think that headrests are too far forward: https://www.google.com/search?q=head...utf-8&oe=utf-8
Old 12-07-2015, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Certainly not a significant number on Benz. I don't know of a single complaint in SA. Was booking my car for service at my huge dealership today & asked the question of the 205. Not a single complaint. Benz spends a fortune on ergonomics. They do design for fairly large people.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 12-07-2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:31 AM

Mercedes GLA 250 4Matic 2017
Certainly not a significant number on Benz. I don't know of a single complaint in SA. Was booking my car for service at my huge dealership today & asked the question of the 205. Not a single complaint. Benz spends a fortune on ergonomics. They do design for fairly large people.

I'm a female and I have that exact problem of bad headrest position with my GLA sports front-seats. Totally unacceptable, the headrests are not adjustable and the seats came in high-cost premium option. I became a very unhappy driver since I lease this GLA 2017 - waiting 2 more years before I can get rid of it

Please, don't deny my customer experience by suspecting something is wrong with my body shape. I'm 5'6", the standard woman size, healthy, no back problems, no stress issue. I leased the car to secure my daily hour commute, and I wouldn't register on this website to post this very message, if the design of the seats was not so critical. I highly recommend MB customers to not take the sports seats that come in option with the GLA 250 2017, they don't fit a 5'6" woman, they don't fit any taller person. Neck is pushed down, in huge pain. Hunchback has absolutely no contact with the seat at all. All the pressure goes on the lower back, which generates persistent pain overtime. The back does not hold in place, muscles are overworking to maintain a steady position. Worst driving experience in 20 years I drive cars and especially Mercedes cars.

I recommend MB to fire the designer of those seats, to refund the seats option, and/or to provide GLA customers with the C300 seats.

Best,
Old 01-15-2017, 06:12 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2015 C250 AMG Line, Vision, COMMAND, Seat Comfort, Driver Assistance, Parking Assistance W205
I have back and neck issues and find the seats the best I've ever had.

If it's THAT big a deal to you than rather pursue MB ask your physiotherapist to look at your driving position and adjust it for you. You definitely want the seat comfort package because when you find that right position, you don't want a valet or someone else changing your settings.

Originally Posted by Emi B.
I highly recommend MB customers to not take the sports seats that come in option with the GLA 250 2017, they don't fit a 5'6" woman, they don't fit any taller person.

I recommend MB to fire the designer of those seats, to refund the seats option, and/or to provide GLA customers with the C300 seats.
Unfortunately you didn't know that sports seats are universally known for being uncomfortable. They look incredible but are not designed for comfort. Your recommendation is never going to happen. I previously had MB coupes that I had to sell and will never own anything with a seat position that low ever again.

Last edited by kleinebin; 01-15-2017 at 06:16 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone else get neck pain from the seats?