C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Damaged wheel on Eurotunnel :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 12:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
C250 Polar White, Night Package
Damaged wheel on Eurotunnel :(

Left Zurich this morning at 4am and was in Calais at 12. It was really good going and the car was an absolute delight to drive... Well I say drive... But the car pretty much drives itself with the minimal human intervention needed.

As I was boarding the euro tunnel train they suddenly switched me to the upper deck and as I was climbing I lost visibility of the fact the ramp narrowed with quite a high edge. Subsequently I hit my front right wheel very hard and as you can see in the attached photos it has done some damage. Thankfully there want any damage to the bodywork.

I really hope that Mercedes are able to repair this. Gutted isn't the word
Attached Thumbnails Damaged wheel on Eurotunnel :(-img_0013.jpg   Damaged wheel on Eurotunnel :(-img_0008.jpg   Damaged wheel on Eurotunnel :(-img_0010.jpg   Damaged wheel on Eurotunnel :(-img_0011.jpg   Damaged wheel on Eurotunnel :(-img_0012.jpg  

Old 09-04-2015, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Sucks and I know it's troubling to you. But every dealer has a wheel guy, either in-house or someone they bring in from the outside. They'll be able to return that wheel to it's new condition and it won't cost a fortune either.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C300
Sorry to hear. Like rbrylaw said, that should be easily fixable. Also doesn't look that bad either.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C220 AMG Line Bluetech.
How annoying - sorry to hear that.

To re-finish properly, given it looks like a cut edge you'll need to get the surface re-cut, you could have it ground and filled, but the colour match will be approximate.

Oh, the trials and tribulations! Feel for you mate.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
It's instances like these that makes me glad I purchased wheel/tire insurance through my Mercedes dealership.

If you have this insurance as well, just remember to say that you hit a pot hole!
Old 09-04-2015, 03:57 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
Sympathy but am sure it can be easily repaired.

Good time for the journey did you come via mulhouse?

Have been using eurotunnel frequently since they started and the rolling stock is now pretty shabby and there are many areas where the edging is damaged with sharp edges ready to rip tyres. Loading on the upper deck is a nightmare because of the loss of visibility as you climb.......also cars are getting bigger and wider.....i had less trouble with my passats and a4 but the eclass, glk and c are a bit wider and less easy to drive through the trains which are long avoiding clipping the kerb. Lots of people do! I followed an bmx x6 once it was too wide for the gap so ran all the way on the raised section on 1 side!

Being parked next to the stairwells is a pain too last time i misjudged and my passenger was not able to get out! Stupid people trying to squeeze down the side of the stairwells and your car rather than crossing at the end of the carriage are also a real pain at the height of the season....

The 360 camera helps a lot on loading on the upper deck and i now take it slow it is getting just a tad tight these days and i always retract the mirrors the stairwells are pretty close as you pass them!
Old 09-08-2015, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by parkwood
Sympathy but am sure it can be easily repaired.

Good time for the journey did you come via mulhouse?

Have been using eurotunnel frequently since they started and the rolling stock is now pretty shabby and there are many areas where the edging is damaged with sharp edges ready to rip tyres. Loading on the upper deck is a nightmare because of the loss of visibility as you climb.......also cars are getting bigger and wider.....i had less trouble with my passats and a4 but the eclass, glk and c are a bit wider and less easy to drive through the trains which are long avoiding clipping the kerb. Lots of people do! I followed an bmx x6 once it was too wide for the gap so ran all the way on the raised section on 1 side!

Being parked next to the stairwells is a pain too last time i misjudged and my passenger was not able to get out! Stupid people trying to squeeze down the side of the stairwells and your car rather than crossing at the end of the carriage are also a real pain at the height of the season....

The 360 camera helps a lot on loading on the upper deck and i now take it slow it is getting just a tad tight these days and i always retract the mirrors the stairwells are pretty close as you pass them!
Hi Parkwood,

Yes I came through Basel and then headed up through France from there. I have just returned from the UK and came back the same way. The roads on France are an absolute dream. The drivers are a bit nutty with their constant moving between lanes even when it doesn't make sense due to upcoming traffic going so much slower than them on the inside lane.

As for the eurotunnel, I went with all of the high vehicles on the way back and it was much wider. I think I will do that in future just to be 100% safe.

360 camera would be perfect... maybe next time
Old 09-08-2015, 02:26 PM

Update on the damage to the wheel. I spoke with Mercedes Zurich today and they advised that due to oxidation a repair job may not be successful, so they advised to replace it..

Due to the wheel also having the black blades (night package) they quoted me 1000 francs for a new wheel. This is roughly 1000 USD... OUCH
Old 09-08-2015, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by CornishPasty
Update on the damage to the wheel. I spoke with Mercedes Zurich today and they advised that due to oxidation a repair job may not be successful, so they advised to replace it..

Due to the wheel also having the black blades (night package) they quoted me 1000 francs for a new wheel. This is roughly 1000 USD... OUCH
I'd give a wheel guy a chance before I'd shell out $1K. You might be very surprised what a good wheel person is capable of doing. If you're not satisfied after the repair, you can still buy a new wheel. But you may be very happy and save a chunk of money.