C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Burmester Sound System for the C Class (bass/subwoofer)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 C450
Burmester Sound System for the C Class (bass/subwoofer)

I couldn't find any exact specs online regarding the Burmester sound system in the C Class (e.g. where are all of the speakers located, etc...) but knowing already that it's a 13 speaker 590-watt system, after some searching online, I was actually able to find it in a document (attached to this post) pertaining to two different Burmester systems available for the S Class (which I'm assuming the lower-end one is the same system as the C, because it's showing it also as a 13 speaker 590-watt system)

Anyways, I was really surprised to see that there is actually no designated sub for this system! Can anyone confirm if the image attached is correct for the C? When I test drove the C450 a few months ago, the system sounded great, and the bass did sound quite full... but was still surprising to see on this document that there's no subwoofer at all for this upgraded sound system...

Anyone that listens to music with a lot of bass, are you happy with the sound?

The following users liked this post:
aaronBLUEeyes (12-06-2023)
Old 03-08-2016, 01:37 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Yes that is where the bass is located in the c-class. the system is called "front bass" and the bass comes out of the front footwells. I had after market subs in my last cars for more bass and the Burmester system does not disappoint. I have my settings at Treble 7, Mid 6, Bass 5 and I find myself turning the bass down sometimes.

I listen to mostly EDM and some hip-hop/pop music

My last e90 LCI had no subwoofer per se, it had the two woofers under the front seat, but on high end multispeaker systems such as the burmester the balance is great so you technically do not need a sub

Last edited by topsider; 03-08-2016 at 03:28 PM.
ashap (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Not sure about the saloon, but in the estate/wagon S205 the bass drivers are mounted against part of the chassis tubing to improve bass response.

The system doesn't lack bass (unless you want bass that can blow out windows) but imho can be a bit thin/harsh on vocals.

Last edited by ManiacGT; 03-08-2016 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:23 AM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Exclamation Duplicate thread

Originally Posted by ashap
I couldn't find any exact specs online regarding the Burmester sound system in the C Class (e.g. where are all of the speakers located, etc...) but knowing already that it's a 13 speaker 590-watt system, after some searching online, I was actually able to find it in a document (attached to this post) pertaining to two different Burmester systems available for the S Class (which I'm assuming the lower-end one is the same system as the C, because it's showing it also as a 13 speaker 590-watt system)

Anyways, I was really surprised to see that there is actually no designated sub for this system! Can anyone confirm if the image attached is correct for the C? When I test drove the C450 a few months ago, the system sounded great, and the bass did sound quite full... but was still surprising to see on this document that there's no subwoofer at all for this upgraded sound system...

Anyone that listens to music with a lot of bass, are you happy with the sound?
Originally Posted by topsider
Yes that is where the bass is located in the c-class. the system is called "front bass" and the bass comes out of the front footwells. I had after market subs in my last cars for more bass and the Burmester system does not disappoint. I have my settings at Treble 7, Mid 6, Bass 5 and I find myself turning the bass down sometimes.

I listen to mostly EDM and some hip-hop/pop music

My last e90 LCI had no subwoofer per se, it had the two woofers under the front seat, but on high end multispeaker systems such as the burmester the balance is great so you technically do not need a sub
Originally Posted by ManiacGT
Not sure about the saloon, but in the estate/wagon S205 the bass drivers are mounted against part of the chassis tubing to improve bass response.

The system doesn't lack bass (unless you want bass that can blow out windows) but imho can be a bit thin/harsh on vocals.
Gentlemen, this new thread duplicates an established thread "Burmester vs Basic Audio." I encourage you to continue your discussion on that thread. Some serious audiophiles have already submitted expert opinion there, which might answer many of your questions. I have already pulled the informative graphic submitted by ashap over to that site.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by gfmohn
Gentlemen, this new thread duplicates an established thread "Burmester vs Basic Audio." I encourage you to continue your discussion on that thread. Some serious audiophiles have already submitted expert opinion there, which might answer many of your questions. I have already pulled the informative graphic submitted by ashap over to that site.
The serious audiophile I most had in mind was Mike5215. Concerning the Burmester system, he posts at "Burmeister issues and settings" (note the misspelling). That thread has not has any comments for a a month. The active thread for comments about the Burmester system is "Burmester vs Basic Audio."

Last edited by gfmohn; 03-11-2016 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:05 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 C300
i am quite dissapointed at the bass when i listen to house/electronic/trance etc.

it's like the subs cannot keep up with fast paced music.

now for everything else the burmester does not dissapoint. i usually don't hold high hopes for stock "premium systems".

i've had aftermarket amps, subs, and interior tweeter on my previous ride. any decent aftermarket setup will make even $50k optional premium stereos sound bad.

only stock premium system i heard that actually sounded good was the mark levinson on a LS460. very balanced.

anyone heard the bang&olufssen on the higher end audis? i hear those are pretty dope too
aikjones (01-17-2017)
Old 03-12-2016, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by NYbenzzz
i am quite dissapointed at the bass when i listen to house/electronic/trance etc.
it's like the subs cannot keep up with fast paced music.
now for everything else the burmester does not dissapoint. i usually don't hold high hopes for stock "premium systems".
i've had aftermarket amps, subs, and interior tweeter on my previous ride. any decent aftermarket setup will make even $50k optional premium stereos sound bad.
only stock premium system i heard that actually sounded good was the mark levinson on a LS460. very balanced.
anyone heard the bang&olufssen on the higher end audis? i hear those are pretty dope too
I encourage you to continue your discussion at "Burmester vs Basic Audio." You can merely copy and paste youe comment into that thread. Some serious audiophiles have already submitted expert opinion there, which might answer many of your questions. You can also find comments by Mike5215 (whom I consider a master audiophile) at "Burmeister issues and settings" (note the misspelling). However, that thread has not had any comments for a month. The active thread for comments about the Burmester system is "Burmester vs Basic Audio."

Last edited by gfmohn; 03-12-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 C300 4matic Coupe S
Burmester bass lacks warmth and depth

I too am surprise that the Burmester sound system doesn't have decent amplified woofers. They are half the size of the woofers in my previous car, a 1997 Chrysler Sebring Coupe (not the same as the convertible). I had less than 70,000 miles on my Chrysler when I finally had to retire it because New England road salts dissolved parts of the under body. The 6 speaker sound system in my Chrysler provided sound that rivals an in-home system. The speaker range was broad, balanced with sizzling tweeters in the front deck, hefty mid-range speakers in the doors, and full-range twin bass speakers in the rear. The sound was rich and gratifying. The reason I'm here is I'm already looking to augment the system in my 2017 MB C300 Sport Coupe. The Burmester leaves me a bit cold. The bass has more of a thud than a vroom. When I tune it to the Surround Sound mode, the front center speaker kicks-in and fills up the cabin a bit more, but it also flattens the overall sound to more that of a monaural sound. If anyone has a suggestion on how to replace the rear speakers (which are only about 5" square (I'm guessing), I would love to hear your ideas. This is my first Mercedes. When I test drove it, I listened to the sound and just assumed I could crank it up more and achieve the sound I was looking for when I had it at home and could cut loose. Unfortunately, it doesn't quite have the guts I'd hoped for. When I play Adagio for Strings, I want to hear the contra bass and the bass strings. When I play Trance or EDM, I want to hear the bass kick-in when it drops. I'll pay to have a better amplifier and heftier rear speakers. I'm wondering where to start. This is my first post. If anyone has any recommendations, I'd love to hear them. Thank you in advance!

Last edited by RobInBoston; 09-16-2019 at 07:09 PM. Reason: added point about EDM
Old 09-16-2019, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 C300 4matic Coupe S
I test drove the Audi A4 Premium with its 19 speaker Bang and Olufson system. I was not impressed. Cranking it all the way, it was still timid. I don't even think it would cover road noise when cranked up. I'm surprised how little range it had. Of course, when all the speakers are smallish, that's what you get.