C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

2012 C250 Cam Shaft Adjuster issues

Old 08-03-2016, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C250
2012 C250 Cam Shaft Adjuster issues

Engine light came on, intermittently. Took it for oil change that was done by independent MB Certified Mechanic. Independent mechanic told me to take to dealer to get diagnostic done. Engine light didn't come on a few times before going to dealer (where i originally bought the car and have had all services done). I was told by dealer that the engine light was turning on because I was having issues with cam shaft adjuster. I asked for the diagnostic code, but the Customer Service Person would not give it to me. I have 57K miles on the car, out of warranty, and have been quoted $4200 as an estimate to have everything fix (which will take 2-3 days to fix). From my review from previous posts and NHTSA, this cam shaft adjuster seems to be a problem. Not sure if it was the same issue with other MB Owners from the class action suit MB settled in Majeed Seifi et al. v. Mercedes Benz USA LLC, case number 3:12-cv-05493, in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California. Need guidance. I am frustrated with a large expense for car at less than 60K miles and not even 5 years old. Losing confidence in the MB Brand and Service. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C250
Originally Posted by Miguel66
Engine light came on, intermittently. Took it for oil change that was done by independent MB Certified Mechanic. Independent mechanic told me to take to dealer to get diagnostic done. Engine light didn't come on a few times before going to dealer (where i originally bought the car and have had all services done). I was told by dealer that the engine light was turning on because I was having issues with cam shaft adjuster. I asked for the diagnostic code, but the Customer Service Person would not give it to me. I have 57K miles on the car, out of warranty, and have been quoted $4200 as an estimate to have everything fix (which will take 2-3 days to fix). From my review from previous posts and NHTSA, this cam shaft adjuster seems to be a problem. Not sure if it was the same issue with other MB Owners from the class action suit MB settled in Majeed Seifi et al. v. Mercedes Benz USA LLC, case number 3:12-cv-05493, in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California. Need guidance. I am frustrated with a large expense for car at less than 60K miles and not even 5 years old. Losing confidence in the MB Brand and Service. Any advice would be appreciated.
Miguel, sorry bud. I really don't have any great advice, just my sympathy. I'm in the same boat as you. My car is actually in the shop as we speak. I might get it back tomorrow. My 2013 C250 started with a "diesel car starting up" noise like this...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HhLEQ5914N4
I had no engine lights nor was the car performing any different. So I said to myself, let's just take the ol' boy in...to be preventive, but after my local shop went in for a better look I got the devastating news. It was indeed the cam shaft adjusters (there's two by the way an intake and exhaust) long story short I'm bracing myself for a nice chunky bill in the neighborhood of around $3.5k. The worst part about it is I could have done the work myself, but work and life in general, just won't allow for that kind of time. So frustrating!!
If it helps any, I've come to the conclusion that if we want to own pretty things, we'll have to spend a pretty penny now and then... but I'm definitely looking into an extended warranty provider. I would suggest the same to you. Good luck man!!
The following users liked this post:
Miguel66 (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 11:47 AM

C250
Dragger,
Thanks for the sympathy. So are you still under warranty? I am not and the dealership that I bought it from just north of Winter Park, FL. Offered and rescinded good will twice. I am having to get MB, USA involved, but they are not calling me back. Dealer doesn't want to even touch my car anymore, they told me to take it to South Orlando and North Orlando to have the work done. I am still frustrated. Ed Taylor, Service Manager won't even talk to me nor the Business Manager, Maia Melendez. My last communication from them was just an e-mail rescinding the service goodwill and doing further services. Dragger, Be cautious. I understand you get what you pay for, and spending money for pretty things need to be done, but in the first 60K miles I shouldn't have this issue. Think about what you are going to do. The Blue Book Value on these cars is about $20K. You are about to spend 20% on the value of the car for upkeep and maintenance. It surely will not increase the value. MB knows this and that's why they want to have me spend money on it. In my opinion, MB dealer and MB USA by their actions, said go it alone and are asking me the consumer to forward their brand and quality marks, by paying all for it on my own. I get the Luxury Brand moniker associated with MB, but at the end of the day MB Dealer and MB Manufr is a business like any other (motivated by profit and dividends to investors). Words like "brand loyalty" and "the best or nothing" apply only to the consumer and their affection for their product, but not the other way around. I don't know about you, but I earn every dollar that I make (and I like what I do to have to make that dollar), I enjoy spending it, but for MB Dealer and MB USA to have the audacity to not address my concerns with their product is foretelling of the dealership's corporate culture and the manufacturer's corporate culture to ignore consumers and not care. In this age of e-mailing, texting, social media, it would be easy for them to reach out and just listen, but they won't even do that. I guess my frustration is leading into disappointment. May be I expected too much. At this point, it's not about being right, it's about being listened too as a customer. Looking back, I didn't even get that from MB Dealer and MB USA. Thus, it's led me to re-evaluate my ownership.

Last edited by Miguel66; 08-22-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C250
Miguel,
I do not one bit disagree with anything you just said man. Much like you I too work hard for my monies. This unfortunate circumstance also gets me to think twice about being loyal to any brand or company to be honest. Wouldn't it be nice if these big name brands really did appreciate our devition and enthusiasm we have for them by reaching out to you and saying... "Miguel!!, we're sorry this flaw in our engineering is causing you so much grief, let's take it in and get this thing purring like a Kätzchen" haha... I wish that for you.
I'm a do-it-yourself-er kinda guy, so most my frustrations is the fact I'm losing out on all that dough do to sheer convenience. I'm being told by my shop that this is somewhat of a common issue with this engine and that it's typical of failure around 60k - 90k mile... How true or accurate this really is, I suppose I will have to do some sleuthing. I don't want to have to do this repair again in a few years.
To answer your question earlier, no, I am NOT under warranty unfortunately. Had I had the slightest hint of the vaguest whiff that this costly repair was going to be had before hitting 100k miles I would have extended my warranty. Lesson learned I suppose.
I support you in your quest for customer service, acknowledgment, and resolution. I hope MB can maybe by some miracle assist two hard working car enthusiasts like us.
Let me know what the outcome is. Good luck man!!
ChrisVannoy (11-07-2020)
Old 08-25-2016, 09:44 AM

C250
Update. Took 2012 C250 to independent mechanic to inspect the diagnostic code P0340. Found that the cam sensor was fine and all the electric to and from the car computer was fine. After an hour of diagnosis, confirmed that the check engine light was coming on at the start (intermittently). Mechanic wanted to open up the engine to inspect the timing chain to see what's causing this issue. Cost $500 to open up and inspect. Mechanic said that this is just the start. He will have the keep the car for a couple of days. Thinking about what to do and researching whether it is true or not that this issue leads to catastrophic failure for the car (timing chain breakage). I am complete bewilderment as to how this could happen on an engine with less than 60K miles. Again, evaluating my options. With the amount of time I have spent on this issue, MB should be paying me for loss time from work.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:54 PM

2012 C250
Same Problem

Originally Posted by Miguel66

57k miles
Cam Positioning Sensor replaced 2 days ago and the CEL is back on.

The indie mechanic I took it to thinks it's the timing chain.

Were you able to resolve with MB dealer? Did they offer any goodwill discount for the service?

I was barely out of warranty and these problems came up.
I'm in West Palm and terrified to drive the car out of my neighborhood, much less get on the highway.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:17 PM

C250
Hey NZounis,
No. I wasn't able to resolve with MB Dealer. They left me hanging out to dry. I had to call Mercedes-Benz USA and get them involved. But they kept delaying the investigation. After a week, I got a phone call back saying they would re-offer (a 2nd time the goodwill) but I had to go to another MB Dealership on the North side of Orlando to take a look at it. I was willing, until I found out that the Orlando Dealership and the North Orlando Dealership are owned by the same company, AutoNation. So two weeks without car, and very poor customer service with Dealership, and not enough support from MB USA, I made a decision to get out of the brand. What really frustrated me is that during this entire time with my car, MB Dealership Sales was calling me to get into a new CLA for the same payment. It really burned me to think that their slogan "The Best or Nothing" does not apply to them, it only applies to you when you buy their product, and that they wouldn't back the product and try to sell me a new car. As for the Goodwill discount for service, no. Dealer stated that the service was $4,200, and that the Goodwill would only go to the parts, $2400 and I would have to pay for the labor, $1,800. I was able to get them to $1,200 in labor. I asked for full written estimate of parts and found that they quoted them on my estimate at above retail. I was disappointed. Good Luck. I hope your experience is better than mine.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:30 PM

C250 2012
I just got replaced the 'bank 2 exhaust cam solenoid' on my C250 2012. I am in Canada and have MB Star certified warranty which covers the engine..or better said 'some' parts of it!
Can anyone tell me if this solenoid is part of the engine or not, so is it or is it not covered by warranty?

Thx in advance
Old 02-22-2018, 07:21 PM

C250
Another $$$$ before 50k

Just had the adjusters replaced at 50k. Add it to the long list of high cost repairs done on my c250. I have had around $14k of warranty work done so far.... warranty just ran out. See ya Mercedes
Old 04-16-2018, 01:04 AM

2013 C250 Sport
2013 C250 cam adjusters

Just wanted to add that in March 2018, MB USA authorized replacing my faulty cam adjusters under warraty even though warranty expired 7 months ago. Mileage was right at 50k. Dealership said it was a known faulty part but not enough of one to initiate a recall. Originally quoted $4,500 for the work, but service rep. said that after talking to "Mr. Mercedes" they would do it under warranty. Was very relieved and would encourage anyone with the clatter at start up to push the matter through your dealership. I live in Northern California where the dealerships have apparently NOW got the message.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:21 AM

2012 C250 sport
I live in Montana, I am going to go ask our dealership about this today; I have 54k on the car and am the 3rd owner, getting the rattle on startup and after doing research I know full well what it is. <br /><br />I'm expecting a "no" from them regarding helping me, and I was wondering if you would possibly have the time to put me in touch with someone who helped you and see if they could pull some strings for me? I would appreciate it so much, as I'm trading the car off if it isn't remedied...thank you SO much in advance for anything you may be able to do! <br /><br />QUOTE=Benzo2013;7431420]Just wanted to add that in March 2018, MB USA authorized replacing my faulty cam adjusters under warraty even though warranty expired 7 months ago. Mileage was right at 50k. Dealership said it was a known faulty part but not enough of one to initiate a recall. Originally quoted $4,500 for the work, but service rep. said that after talking to "Mr. Mercedes" they would do it under warranty. Was very relieved and would encourage anyone with the clatter at start up to push the matter through your dealership. I live in Northern California where the dealerships have apparently NOW got the message.[/QUOTE]<br />
Old 05-28-2018, 11:59 PM

2013 C250 Sport
Zachgoggins, sorry for delayed response. The dealership in CA that worked with MB USA to get my 2013 cam adjusters replaced under warranty was in El Dorado Hills. 916 567 5100. Service Manager's name was Daniel Clark. We were original owners and had the dealership do all maintenance throughout warranty period, car just at 50k, but over months on warranty. Not sure if any of that helped. Best of luck with your car.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:03 AM

2012 C250 Coupe
I'm another victim of the "Death Rattle" on starting, then runs perfect. Has anyone tried an oil accumulater? after market used by racers, classic cars, @ $300-400 plus install, you activate before starting, it pre-pressurizes engine, would lock sprockets. MB service rep told me the sprocket seals stop holding oil pressure, $3,400.00 to replace.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 c250
Originally Posted by Dragger
Miguel,
I do not one bit disagree with anything you just said man. Much like you I too work hard for my monies. This unfortunate circumstance also gets me to think twice about being loyal to any brand or company to be honest. Wouldn't it be nice if these big name brands really did appreciate our devition and enthusiasm we have for them by reaching out to you and saying... "Miguel!!, we're sorry this flaw in our engineering is causing you so much grief, let's take it in and get this thing purring like a Kätzchen" haha... I wish that for you.
I'm a do-it-yourself-er kinda guy, so most my frustrations is the fact I'm losing out on all that dough do to sheer convenience. I'm being told by my shop that this is somewhat of a common issue with this engine and that it's typical of failure around 60k - 90k mile... How true or accurate this really is, I suppose I will have to do some sleuthing. I don't want to have to do this repair again in a few years.
To answer your question earlier, no, I am NOT under warranty unfortunately. Had I had the slightest hint of the vaguest whiff that this costly repair was going to be had before hitting 100k miles I would have extended my warranty. Lesson learned I suppose.
I support you in your quest for customer service, acknowledgment, and resolution. I hope MB can maybe by some miracle assist two hard working car enthusiasts like us.
Let me know what the outcome is. Good luck man!!
Warranty ! What difference does that make ? Mine was under warranty 48000 mike and MB told me that because I didn’t use there oil filter I had voided my warranty and the repairs would cost me $4200 ! Then asked if I wanted to pay cash or credit card ! I got the same response from everybody I tried to reach out to at MB. A deaf ear no return calls or emails . I have owned there cars all my life . I’m almost 50 and this is my 7th car I have bought from them all of them brand new . I felt like like I had been slapped in the face . I have spent well over $250000 with them if you ad them all up. Sad thing is they really don’t care . So I sold my suv I had bought from them last year , took a big hit on it . I didn’t care I m done with MB . I’ll never own or drive another one again . I would rather drive a Yugo ! I feel ya guys and everyone else out there that’s been screwed by MB. Only thing I know to do is never own or drive another one of there piece of crap cars again . Wish I would have know how valuable I am as a customer to them a long time ago !
Robert Morales (07-08-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 10:49 PM

2018 GLE350
As a Mercedes Benz dealership technician I can assure you that there will rarely be any assistance from MB USA unless there is some kind of service history with a dealership or proof that factory parts were used at anIndependent repair shop. From my understanding this is also the case with other automobile manufacturers. For us technicians it would be to our financial benefit if the manufacturer would foot the bill, but that rarely seems to be the case.

Last edited by MercMaster; 02-16-2020 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:16 PM

c250
well guess Im the latest to fall into the cam shaft adjuster trap. 2014 C250 with 45K miles in the dealer. they want $3,500 to replace the adjuster, have call into MB USA.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:16 AM

C250
Any response from mb? Have the same issue. Dealer quoted $3300!
Old 09-01-2020, 02:56 PM

C250
Miguel
any update from MB on the repair?
I have the same issue. Dealer quoted me $3300!
Old 09-02-2020, 03:45 PM

c250
I ended up getting a $500 credit. My service advisor admitted it was an issue. He mentioned that he had 5 customers with same issue. Lost all faith in MB with this. Good luck.
Old 09-02-2020, 04:26 PM

C250
Shafted

Originally Posted by Robert Morales
I ended up getting a $500 credit. My service advisor admitted it was an issue. He mentioned that he had 5 customers with same issue. Lost all faith in MB with this. Good luck.
thanks Robert I assume you went ahead with the repair with the 500 credit. Guess I’ll see what I can extract from them. It ain’t right, for sure.
Old 06-22-2021, 08:43 PM

2014 C250
C250 Cam Shaft Issue

Originally Posted by Benzo2013
Just wanted to add that in March 2018, MB USA authorized replacing my faulty cam adjusters under warraty even though warranty expired 7 months ago. Mileage was right at 50k. Dealership said it was a known faulty part but not enough of one to initiate a recall. Originally quoted $4,500 for the work, but service rep. said that after talking to "Mr. Mercedes" they would do it under warranty. Was very relieved and would encourage anyone with the clatter at start up to push the matter through your dealership. I live in Northern California where the dealerships have apparently NOW got the message.
My car is having the same issue… I just had it serviced and my mechanic reset the check engine light (ugh). But he told me the code was the cam shaft issue … which I’ve been having problems for about 6 months now… took it to Mercedes in San Jose and they wouldn’t repair it unless the check engine light is on… so I guess I just drive it and hope it doesn’t lock up on me or that I get stuck somewhere cause it won’t start. One would think that Mercedes would be more concerned for the safety of their cars and their customers. I haven’t contacted MB USA yet and wondering if it’s a waste of time to do so? Anyone had this situation and any advice on how I can get this fixed… also, isn’t there a way to check all the CEL codes that have occurred in the car? You’d think with all the technology in the world there would be…
Old 06-22-2021, 10:18 PM

C250
Cam adjusters

About 6 months ago, MB authorized repair of the cam adjuster defect for cars with up to 100k miles.
Ron P Baker (08-05-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 07:01 PM

c250
Hi all,
I just took my car (2013 C250 with 78k miles) to the MB dealer and get it diagnosed. They confirmed the P034062 code and agreed changing the camshaft adjuster. However, they suggest changing the intake camshaft too and quoted 1793$ only for this part of the work. Their email says: "Your vehicle would also need the intake camshaft in order to get it in time. The camshaft has twisted over time and it is preventing the timing marks to line up. The camshaft is not covered under the cam adjuster extended warranty. Please let me know how you would like to proceed."

I also attached their 'service diagnosis and recommended service quota' below. Has anyone fixed this experienced something similar? Should it be a thing to fix/change? If so, should it be covered under the warranty as well?

Old 08-09-2021, 04:28 PM

2012 C250
Hey everybody, my issue is very similar, and i have experience already with the Cam Adjusters. I replaced the intake one about 18 months ago myself. Now it looks like it, or both have gone bad again. but I'm perplexed, maybe just due to the timing of things.

First the battery was not holding a full charge when we returned from vacation, only 10.4v so I changed it out. A week later it starts cranking for about 4-5 seconds before it would start, then the cam position sensor bank 1 code pops up. so I buy a new sensor, and the magnetic sensor that mounts to the from of the engine in front of the intake cam, and replace them both, and do an oil change at the same time. I always use Mobil 1 0-40 with a new Mahle filter.

This time the oil filter O-ring at the very tip of the filter holder seemed a bit large in diameter, but I put it on because it's what it came with. when I went to screw the filter housing back together, there was some resistance, then it "popped" in. I took it back out and put it back in again, but no real resistance now. So I go to start the car, and not only does it still crank over for a long time, now I have the timing chain slapping noise again; and it's bad.

Was it already going bad? I don't know. A question I have is, is there anything in the oil filter housing (on the engine side, not the filter side) that the larger O-ring could have pushed in causing oil not to get to the top side of the engine at start up causing this, or is the timing just such that it all seems related?

Now I'm waiting for the new Variable Valve Timing Phasers to arrive so i can replace them again. ugh.......

any insight would be helpful

Old 08-20-2022, 09:53 PM

2014 C250
Originally Posted by Benzo2013

What dealership did you take it to??

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2012 C250 Cam Shaft Adjuster issues