C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Sat nav doesn't recognise roundabouts (UK)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2017 | 12:50 PM

E Class Coupe AMG Sport
Sat nav doesn't recognise roundabouts (UK)

I recently bought a 2016 C250 Coupe and there's something extremely frustrating about the sat nav.

​​​​Whenever I come off a motorway and approach a roundabout, it seems to think it's just a bendy road. For example see the photo below.

The voice said 'in 400 yards turn left' when in actual fact, I needed to take the 3rd exit on the RIGHT.

It does this at every roundabout off a motorway and often means I move in to the left lane when it says 'prepare to turn left' and then realise at the last minute that it's actually the 3rd or 4th exit and I needed to be in the right hand lane.

It just went for its first service and Mercedes said that my COMAND system was due a complimentary software upgrade and the guy at the dealer said it should fix the issue when I mentioned it (clearly he had no idea as it turned out the update was to do with the touch pad).

My last car was a 2013 E220 Coupe and it didn't have this problem.

Anyone else got this issue?

Last edited by srvo; 02-05-2017 at 03:19 AM.
Old 02-04-2017 | 01:09 PM
Former Member

CLS
That must be exciting....
The following users liked this post:
Cbc200 (02-07-2017)
Old 02-04-2017 | 02:03 PM

C350e
Originally Posted by srvo
I recently bought a 2016 C250 Coupe and there's something extremely frustrating about the sat nav.

​​​​Whenever I come off a motorway and approach a roundabout, it seems to think it's just a bendy road. For example see the photo below.

The voice said 'in 400 yards turn left' when in actual fact, I needed to take the 3rd exit on the RIGHT.

It does this at every roundabout off a motorway and often means I move in to the left lane when it says 'prepare to turn left' and then realise at the last minute that it's actually the 3rd or 4th exit and I needed to be in the right hand lane.

It just went for its first service and Mercedes said that my Command system was due a complimentary software upgrade and the guy at the dealer said it should fix the issue when I mentioned it (clearly he had no idea as it turned out the update was to do with the touch pad).

In the Netherlands it does this sometimes at bigger roundabouts, but not on all of them. I can make educated guesses but i think it has to do with how the roundabout's are tagged in the map.
It can sometimes be a bit frustrating but i accepted it.
Old 02-04-2017 | 03:06 PM

2017 C43 AMG Saloon
Originally Posted by srvo

It just went for its first service and Mercedes said that my Command system was due a complimentary software upgrade and the guy at the dealer said it should fix the issue when I mentioned it (clearly he had no idea as it turned out the update was to do with the touch pad).

It's down to how you're interpreting the instructions. The roundabout is a road in off itself and you need to get off it after travelling 400 yds. If you look at the middle pic, you'll see a drawing of the roundabout with your exit marked. I turn off the sound on mine so I just concentrate on the yard markers and middle pic.

HTH
Old 02-04-2017 | 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
I've complained to MB about this several times to no avail. On the same roads where my BMW knows it's a roundabout and will tell me which exit and at that exit to turn left to exit it the MB says nothing other than prepare to turn left. Annoying and a bit crap.
Old 02-04-2017 | 04:25 PM

E Class Coupe AMG Sport
Originally Posted by guhvies
It's down to how you're interpreting the instructions. The roundabout is a road in off itself and you need to get off it after travelling 400 yds. If you look at the middle pic, you'll see a drawing of the roundabout with your exit marked. I turn off the sound on mine so I just concentrate on the yard markers and middle pic.

HTH
True, it's technically correct in saying I need to turn left, but seeing as it's a roundabout it should tell me which left - the first one? Second? Third? It recognises roundabouts on normal roads, so it shouldn't be any different off motorways. The thing thats really confusing is that the old COMAND system in my last car didn't have this problem but the new one does.
​​

Last edited by srvo; 02-05-2017 at 03:20 AM.
Old 02-04-2017 | 05:46 PM

2015 C250 AMG Line, Vision, COMMAND, Seat Comfort, Driver Assistance, Parking Assistance W205
My COMAND cleary states "take the second exit" on roundabouts

Last edited by kleinebin; 02-05-2017 at 03:29 AM.
Old 02-05-2017 | 02:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
So the way I work around this is to differentiate between 'turn left' and 'prepare to turn left' in pretty much ignoring the latter comment and using the screen.
Old 02-05-2017 | 05:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
The frustrating part would be that a €20,000 EUR Škoda has integrated flawless Google Maps incl. Street View and a €100,000 EUR Mercedes can't implement a map system right in the 2017.