C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Anyone else disappointed with the w205?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 06:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'17 C300 Sport, P2, Pano, Black; '17 Jetta GLI White
Anyone else disappointed with the w205?

Finally traded in my w204 2008 C300 Sport for a new 2016 c300. What a downgrade. Rougher ride, poor cornering, swimmy suspension, cant leave in sport mode, cant shut off eco, worse sound system, rougher transmission, the list goes on. Can't believe people think this car was improved. Has anyone been able to improve the suspension? This thing wobbles like an old buick lesabre. Also pitches forward on braking using too much front brake. Just disappointing.
Just dont get it. My 2008 rode and handled better. Seems like i would need to get a 450 or better to get the same ride.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
That's not even the worst part. The worst part is these dealers who are kidnapping W204 owners and refusing to release them unless they trade their beloved cars in on a W205 without allowing so much as a simple test drive. It's criminal!
Old 04-10-2017, 06:37 PM

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 E350 Coupe (previous), 2016 C450 AMG Sport (previous), 2020 GLE450 (previous), 2021 S580 (now)
The only thing you should be disappointed in is yourself for apparently choosing to NOT drive the 2016 C300 or learn anything about the vehicle and its features before choosing to buy one.

The W205 C300 is a great vehicle in its own right, but as far as your personal opinion of it is concerned...ya played yourself.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by LOGOSDJ
The only thing you should be disappointed in is yourself for apparently choosing to NOT drive the 2016 C300 or learn anything about the vehicle and its features before choosing to buy one.

The W205 C300 is a great vehicle in its own right, but as far as your personal opinion of it is concerned...ya played yourself.
Obviously nobody would voluntarily trade a car they like for one they don't. Clearly somebody slipped this poor guy a couple of ruffies and when he woke up he was in a strange car he'd never seen or driven before, and his 08 was gone. Bastids!
Old 04-10-2017, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by LOGOSDJ

Yes and no. Of course I drove it a couple times. Drove a few different models but its hard to gauge the performance of it on a few test drives unless you drive the AMG versus the 300. Taking it on long distance drives that I had done before and having it for a few weeks is more of a test IMO.

The suspension is what really does it for me though. When I take a turn at 25, the car should hug the corner, not lean over on its side. Or when you brake hard, it shouldn't pitch forward. Not sure what has changed but its for the worse so I cant call it a "great vehicle." They have gone back in time.

As for the little nuances like not staying in sport mode or being able to turn off the eco, thats just annoying and flat out stupid.

Played myself? Hardly. Its just a car and I have more than one. Just disappointed in this one. I thought it would be my new daily driver but I guess I will drive my Jetta GLI and save this for long trips or give it to my mom.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mike5215
Obviously nobody would voluntarily trade a car they like for one they don't. Clearly somebody slipped this poor guy a couple of ruffies and when he woke up he was in a strange car he'd never seen or driven before, and his 08 was gone. Bastids!
LOL! It was dying. multiple oil leaks, needed an overhaul.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Air Force

Received 276 Likes on 186 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic traded in for a 2022 E450 Coupe
You should hook up with Thlian and cry in your beers together. My w205 certainly is fun to drive.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by purefunk
Yes and no. Of course I drove it a couple times. Drove a few different models but its hard to gauge the performance of it on a few test drives unless you drive the AMG versus the 300. Taking it on long distance drives that I had done before and having it for a few weeks is more of a test IMO.

The suspension is what really does it for me though. When I take a turn at 25, the car should hug the corner, not lean over on its side. Or when you brake hard, it shouldn't pitch forward. Not sure what has changed but its for the worse so I cant call it a "great vehicle." They have gone back in time.

As for the little nuances like not staying in sport mode or being able to turn off the eco, thats just annoying and flat out stupid.

Played myself? Hardly. Its just a car and I have more than one. Just disappointed in this one. I thought it would be my new daily driver but I guess I will drive my Jetta GLI and save this for long trips or give it to my mom.
You didn't take the car through a corner or get into the brakes on the test drive? The ride wasn't poor on the test drive? Did you buy an AirMatic car but test drove a steel suspension one?

The default Agility mode and Eco Stop issues are well publicized. No pre-purchase research?

You have a lot of cars but one of your "fleet" was a nine year old beater C on its last breath and another is a Jetta? Is there a Yugo in there somewhere?

I mean, there's nothing wrong with preferring a prior gen to the new version. I liked my W220 S more than my W221 in a lot of respects but nothing about the 221 surprised me. Pluses and minuses for each.

I can say personally the 204 struck me as a bit of a turd. When the S was in the shop I'd beg for any loaner other than a 204. Just felt cheap, looked cheap and drove cheap to me.

On the other hand when I got a 205 loaner I decided to trade the S and order one. Forget the relative merits of the 204 vs 205. I don't understand how you can buy a car (any car) that has handling characteristics you loathe.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:48 PM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
maybe you have a lemon :P
Old 04-10-2017, 11:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C300
I'm always confused by the hyperbolic statements about how bad a car is on these forums. For example, the massive body lean at 25 mph described here. Not one review of the car has suggested this is the case, yet here we have a poster indicating that the chassis is so poorly sorted that, if he's to be believed, the car is borderline unsafe to drive.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
None of the original post makes any sense. Whatever the car does in a corner it does on the test drive as much as it does when you buy the thing.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:53 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2018 C350Te Wagon
Originally Posted by Mikey53
You should hook up with Thlian and cry in your beers together. My w205 certainly is fun to drive.
I'm not even gonna respond to that.....
​​​​​​
But of course these kind of threads makes all the difference. That said, I actually knew the suspension never would be as fit and steering as direct as my 320. I wasn't opting for it either, but then again I've only driven the 205 on comfort steel suspension and mine will have Airmatic. So I am hoping for a better ride.

As far as drive modes, it takes you a good two seconds to change. And you took it for a good ride but it was more like a test IMO! What does that even mean?
Old 04-11-2017, 09:21 AM

Hey, its my fault 100%. I had a few test drives and then set up an appointment to pick up a new one on a different day. I should have drove it more but I didn't because I never had a problem with the dealership. Its not hyperbole, its fact. When you take a corner at 25 the car leans over on its side and pitches forward on stopping. I didn't notice it on the final test drive. Again, my fault.

In any case, this forum has always been helpful (maybe not this post but I do enjoy the replies). I was searching last night and found some posts where c300 Sport was delivered with comfort suspension. Checked mine last night and I have Sport Trim but comfort suspension installed at final assembly in Alabama. Called my dealership. Waiting on their response.

Mike 5215, If you think having 3 cars is a fleet, then I guess I have one. Although I did have a fleet of tractor trailers once for my sod business. The Jetta GLI is fun to drive though and handles better in corners. Never owned a Yugo but had a Datsun 510 in college.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:28 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2018 C350Te Wagon
Hey, its my fault 100%. I had a few test drives and then set up an appointment to pick up a new one on a different day. I should have drove it more but I didn't because I never had a problem with the dealership. Its not hyperbole, its fact. When you take a corner at 25 the car leans over on its side and pitches forward on stopping. I didn't notice it on the final test drive. Again, my fault.

In any case, this forum has always been helpful (maybe not this post but I do enjoy the replies). I was searching last night and found some posts where c300 Sport was delivered with comfort suspension. Checked mine last night and I have Sport Trim but comfort suspension installed at final assembly in Alabama. Called my dealership. Waiting on their response.

Mike 5215, If you think having 3 cars is a fleet, then I guess I have one. Although I did have a fleet of tractor trailers once for my sod business. The Jetta GLI is fun to drive though and handles better in corners. Never owned a Yugo but had a Datsun 510 in college.
I can quote you on leaning and nosediving with comfort suspension. That disapointed me too, but I knew it and would never went with that one.

Hope it sorts out for you
Old 04-11-2017, 10:01 AM

Its my fault. All my fault. I should have inspected it better. Life lesson and it explains the difference in drive.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300

Well that does actually suck. I think the difference maker in any of the steel suspensions (Lux/Base/Sport) is the spring size, which affects ride height and suspension travel. A set of shorter aftermarket springs would firm the car up and put you where you want to be. I believe the actual Sport suspension is 15mm lower than Base. I'd swap the run flats for a set of Michelin Pilot SuperSports and it'd feel like a completely different car.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
I had a Datsun 510 years ago too. It was called the poor man's BMW back then, and was a lot of fun to drive.

My C300 Sport handles fairly well, and I really have no complaints about lean in turns or dive under heavy braking. I did have a base C300 for a while, and that was not nearly as solid feeling in hard cornering ... usually felt like it was understeering. For me, the steel sport suspension with its 18" tires works just fine. Decent, not great, ride and competent handling. Overall, this car compares well to my two previous Audi A4's.

I have owned several sports cars over the years, attended a few high performance driving and rally schools, and have some time on the track. While my C300 certainly does not feel like a sports car, it does offer a reasonable compromise between comfort and street handling. I would never track it, but it does do fine in its role as my daily driver.

In the case of the OP's issues, I wonder if something is out of whack. Suspension components, tires, wheels, alignment? I don't know, but that description of the car's handling is anything but typical.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by StanNH
I had a Datsun 510 years ago too. It was called the poor man's BMW back then, and was a lot of fun to drive.

My C300 Sport handles fairly well, and I really have no complaints about lean in turns or dive under heavy braking. I did have a base C300 for a while, and that was not nearly as solid feeling in hard cornering ... usually felt like it was understeering. For me, the steel sport suspension with its 18" tires works just fine. Decent, not great, ride and competent handling. Overall, this car compares well to my two previous Audi A4's.

I have owned several sports cars over the years, attended a few high performance driving and rally schools, and have some time on the track. While my C300 certainly does not feel like a sports car, it does offer a reasonable compromise between comfort and street handling. I would never track it, but it does do fine in its role as my daily driver.

In the case of the OP's issues, I wonder if something is out of whack. Suspension components, tires, wheels, alignment? I don't know, but that description of the car's handling is anything but typical.
Its possible but most likey how I drive. My c300 '08 I bought new and pushed to 150k. I drove the hell out of that thing and loved the response. Pretty sure I am just used to the response in that car compared to the new one. Ill see what the dealer says. We bought several cars from them and its a lease so I'm sure I can swap it sooner than later. Just a pain in the butt and I should have spent the time but I trusted my salesrep to do all the work. It will be what it will be.

Mike, how do I tell if they are run flats? They are 18 inch continental pro contact? And what else should I have the dealer change if its an option to give it the right ride.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
If they're OEM they're runflats. A lot of us are running the MPSS and have added a Seal & Fill kit in the trunk in the event of a flat. They ride and handle much better, are quieter and last longer than the RFs. Since it's a lease and needs to be returned with RFs I just threw mine in the garage when I first got the car.

As far as the car having the wrong suspension, I'd be shocked if the dealer put themselves on the hook for that. Unless you had the car built. Then there's a problem. I think you'd have to resort to self help and get a set of aftermarket springs and a camber bolt set from K Mac. Probably around $700 installed if I recall from previous threads.

If the appearance of the higher ride height isn't a concern and you just want to firm the car's handling up, going to a 19" wheel with a lower offset up might do it. Like a 35mm offset up front especially will widen the stance and resist body lean more, as will a shorter, stiffer sidewall on a 19" vs an 18".
Old 04-11-2017, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG

Its my fault. All my fault. I should have inspected it better. Life lesson and it explains the difference in drive.
I test drove a 2015 C300 4Matic with the base suspension before buying, and I thought the suspension was WAY too soft. So I made sure to order a C300 "Sport" with the "sport suspension" and the 19" AMG wheels. I thought that setup was great on my old 2015 C300, which I then traded a year later for my current C450 because of my thirst for even more power!

Last edited by MASSC450; 04-11-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:42 AM

2016 C300

Is yours a 2017? Unreal that they're still f***ing that up.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:50 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
C350e
NO!!!

Amazing to see how a negative thread header attracts all the negative responses while a positive one does exactly the opposite.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:02 PM

Well, my dealership values loyalty. My salesman called me and swore up and down it was a sport. I told him to look up the VIN and he verified the suspension was comfort. So long story short, the GM worked with MBUSA who was the lease holder and they canceled the lease and put me in a sport. I have no idea how but I picked it up an hour ago. Can't believe how painless it was. The salesman actually said it was his mistake (even though it was mine) and told me he doesn't like unsatisfied customers. He wants customers for life. The GM said when these things happen, people need to report it right away like I did so they can fix it. This one drives exactly how it should. I probably wouldn't have made the call if it wasn't for this forum and the old threads I found.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Wow! Great dealer. Glad it worked out.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:17 PM

2016 C300
Well, my dealership values loyalty. My salesman called me and swore up and down it was a sport. I told him to look up the VIN and he verified the suspension was comfort. So long story short, the GM worked with MBUSA who was the lease holder and they canceled the lease and put me in a sport. I have no idea how but I picked it up an hour ago. Can't believe how painless it was. The salesman actually said it was his mistake (even though it was mine) and told me he doesn't like unsatisfied customers. He wants customers for life. The GM said when these things happen, people need to report it right away like I did so they can fix it. This one drives exactly how it should. I probably wouldn't have made the call if it wasn't for this forum and the old threads I found.
How does the sport suspension feel compared to the base, in your opinion? Great to hear you have a supportive dealer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone else disappointed with the w205?