C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Seat Leather issue and weird noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N/A
Seat Leather issue and weird noise

Hi!

Just picked up a 2015 C300(W205), with 29K miles on it. After driving couple of days, I’ve noticed some issues..

1. The leather coating/vinyl of my driver seat is coming off, though this car was not bought through MB, but I assume it’s still under basic warranty, do you guys think dealer is gonna take care this? Reference in picture.

2. When driving, every time car moves and running over holes or anything, my passenger seat makes a rattling sound, perhaps from the upper part of the seat, when I beat on it, it makes the noise too, does anyone have the same issues I’m running into?

3. Upon moving, driver side window is fully closed, but it makes shaky/rattling sound, car is pretty quiet when moving, this noise is very noticeable.

If car is still under warranty(Yes or No?), should I take it to MB dealership and have them take a look at it?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by BigDaddyRog; 08-26-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:33 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2016 C300 4MATIC
The noise from the passenger seat is probably something broken in the headrest. It's a common problem that I've also had and you can test it by removing the headrest (just push the little tabs on the bottom of the metal pipe to pull it out, after leaning the seat backward so you have clearance). Once the headrest is out, if you shake it and hear the noise, you should just buy a new headrest.
The following users liked this post:
BigDaddyRog (08-27-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 08:54 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 c300
You should find out if the car still has the new car warranty. You can call mb-usa and give them your VIN and they should be able to figure out whether you're covered or not. If you are, run to the nearest MB dealership and get all of that covered asap before that new car warranty runs out. The passenger headrest rattle is common, and has been replaced / fixed under new car warranty. The seat issue might be considered wear-and-tear, which may not be covered, but I would definitely find out for sure. My seat covers were replaced under warranty due to the "bleeding seat" issue, but that was during the winter, where you could basically see this oily material on the seat, and MB had a TSB for it. Either way, I would take action soon, since it's a 2015, and you may (or may not) have some time left from the 4-year new car warranty.
PS whats the mileage on the car?
The following users liked this post:
BigDaddyRog (08-27-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 09:40 PM

N/A
Bingo!

Originally Posted by alyshehata
The noise from the passenger seat is probably something broken in the headrest. It's a common problem that I've also had and you can test it by removing the headrest (just push the little tabs on the bottom of the metal pipe to pull it out, after leaning the seat backward so you have clearance). Once the headrest is out, if you shake it and hear the noise, you should just buy a new headrest.
Thanks Alyshehata, that's exactly the part that's making that sound, I'll make my way to the dealership tomorrow!
Old 08-26-2018, 09:43 PM

N/A
Originally Posted by Elbandito
You should find out if the car still has the new car warranty. You can call mb-usa and give them your VIN and they should be able to figure out whether you're covered or not. If you are, run to the nearest MB dealership and get all of that covered asap before that new car warranty runs out. The passenger headrest rattle is common, and has been replaced / fixed under new car warranty. The seat issue might be considered wear-and-tear, which may not be covered, but I would definitely find out for sure. My seat covers were replaced under warranty due to the "bleeding seat" issue, but that was during the winter, where you could basically see this oily material on the seat, and MB had a TSB for it. Either way, I would take action soon, since it's a 2015, and you may (or may not) have some time left from the 4-year new car warranty.
PS whats the mileage on the car?
Thanks Elbandito, the car has a little over 29K miles on it, and I'm going to call MB tomorrow to find out if my car's still under new car warranty, but I am very surprised that a 3-4 year old Mercedes with relatively low mileage have this kind of seat coat problem, but anyways, we will find out soon. Thanks again!
Old 08-27-2018, 12:18 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
W205
Yikes!!! I would be SO pissed if my seats look like that. I have the cranberry leather and I can’t stand it if my leather looks even a bit dirty or has any shine. I have a hard time keeping it matte. Take it in ASAP
Old 08-27-2018, 12:20 AM

N/A
Originally Posted by Cali4niadriver
Yikes!!! I would be SO pissed if my seats look like that. I have the cranberry leather and I can’t stand it if my leather looks even a bit dirty or has any shine. I have a hard time keeping it matte. Take it in ASAP
I am pretty unhappy lol, can't even wait till tomorrow. Hopefully dealership have good news for me...
Old 08-27-2018, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 268 Likes on 183 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic traded in for a 2022 E450 Coupe
Originally Posted by Cali4niadriver
I'd be more mad at myself for not noticing the problem before buying the vehicle.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:49 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
W205
Originally Posted by Mikey53
I'd be more mad at myself for not noticing the problem before buying the vehicle.
Haha yeah I wouldn’t even consider it. One CPO vehicle I was interested in had a little bit of blue jean stain and what appeared to be food stains in the cup holders. That was completely unacceptable to me. Just another sign someone didn’t take care of the car.