C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

W205 Pre-CPO condition

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 06:08 AM
JcE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 W205
W205 Pre-CPO condition

I am in the process of buying an off lease 17 CPO c-class and went in to look at the car before it gets reconditioned. The car had the usual wear of a 3yr old car but also had several dents and scratches that the previous owner would likely have been charged for and overall I felt like the car seemed it wasn’t taken cared of. Has anyone had the same experience? Will the CPO reconditioning be worth it or the car shouldn’t be looking beat up even before reconditioning?

I appreciate any inputs!
Old 06-09-2020, 09:39 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
W205, X253, C190, W213,
Without seeing the car it's hard to say. Judge how it looks/works after the reconditioning.

"Each vehicle undergoes an exacting dealer inspection and certification process to help make sure it meets our requirements and exceeds your expectations. We go under the hood, over the road, and all through the interior. Deficiencies noted in the dealer's inspection that didn't earn approval have been repaired, replaced, or reconditioned to MBCPO standards."

If it doesn't meet your aesthetic standards then don't buy it, or have them fix it.

Old 06-09-2020, 10:19 AM

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
2019 GLC300, 2017 E300
Originally Posted by JcE
I am in the process of buying an off lease 17 CPO c-class and went in to look at the car before it gets reconditioned. The car had the usual wear of a 3yr old car but also had several dents and scratches that the previous owner would likely have been charged for and overall I felt like the car seemed it wasn’t taken cared of. Has anyone had the same experience? Will the CPO reconditioning be worth it or the car shouldn’t be looking beat up even before reconditioning?

I appreciate any inputs!
follow your gut. Things go wrong , especially if a car hasn’t been taken care of. How’s the carfax history / where was the car located / how many miles ? Is there much factory warranty left before the CPO would kick in?
Old 06-09-2020, 10:25 AM
JcE

2017 W205
Thanks. The sales rep did say that it should look close to new once they’re done. I’ll just do a closer inspection before I sign and go from there. It’s probably just me thinking that people take better care of their cars cosmetically knowing that they’d have to return it. Maybe its the other way around if one can afford a Mercedes.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:29 AM
JcE

2017 W205
Originally Posted by Camaroguy72
follow your gut. Things go wrong , especially if a car hasn’t been taken care of. How’s the carfax history / where was the car located / how many miles ? Is there much factory warranty left before the CPO would kick in?
Its going to be CPO’d so carfax is clean. Typical lease return closing in on 30k miles and based on carfax, factory warranty should still be through Feb 2021. Its local to Long Island so I can only expect so much. Lol.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:32 AM

2019 GLC300, 2017 E300
Originally Posted by JcE
Its going to be CPO’d so carfax is clean. Typical lease return closing in on 30k miles and based on carfax, factory warranty should still be through Feb 2021. Its local to Long Island so I can only expect so much. Lol.
worth looking at accidents and if the service truly is clean.

ive searches vin numbers and found inspection reports used for the auctions. I’ve seen a CPO with a bumper cover and skid plates replaced. They could do a better job , depends on the dealer though.

and yeah, it’s a New York car. Nuf said lol. I searched for a Florida car with low mileage , bought in Chicago and drove back to Georgia.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:41 AM
JcE

2017 W205
worth looking at accidents and if the service truly is clean.

ive searches vin numbers and found inspection reports used for the auctions. I’ve seen a CPO with a bumper cover and skid plates replaced. They could do a better job , depends on the dealer though.

and yeah, it’s a New York car. Nuf said lol. I searched for a Florida car with low mileage , bought in Chicago and drove back to Georgia.
can you share where I could find auction inspection reports? I know those are more detailed. Not sure if the one I’m looking at would have one since it was originally sold from the place I’m dealing with.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:51 AM

2019 GLC300, 2017 E300
Originally Posted by JcE
can you share where I could find auction inspection reports? I know those are more detailed. Not sure if the one I’m looking at would have one since it was originally sold from the place I’m dealing with.
I google the VIN. You’d be surprised what shows up.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:06 AM
JcE

2017 W205
Just googled the VIN and entered in VINdecoderz. Can anyone tell me why its being sold as a 2017 but delivery date from vindecoderz is saying March 2016?
Old 06-09-2020, 11:09 AM

2019 GLC300, 2017 E300
Originally Posted by JcE
Just googled the VIN and entered in VINdecoderz. Can anyone tell me why its being sold as a 2017 but delivery date from vindecoderz is saying March 2016?
it’s a early 2017 it sounds like. My 2017 was made in 2016 as well.

there should be a code in there for model year not matching production year.

in that case , you have 0 factory warranty and just the CPO. If you can - look for one with some factory remaining because that’s much more comprehensive for the nuisances like rattles and stuff.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:18 AM

W205, X253, C190, W213,
it’s a early 2017 it sounds like. My 2017 was made in 2016 as well.

there should be a code in there for model year not matching production year.

in that case , you have 0 factory warranty and just the CPO. If you can - look for one with some factory remaining because that’s much more comprehensive for the nuisances like rattles and stuff.
This ^

Mercedes salesmen don't do a very good job of explaining the difference between factory and CPO warranties. Some of the big ones that you'll see on here are sunroof issues that aren't covered under the CPO warranty. Fixing a finicky or broken panoramic roof is EXPENSIVE.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:22 AM
JcE

2017 W205
I mis-read. Vindecoderz is showing a delivery date of November 3, 2016 and not March. I’m assuming this is to the dealer. According to carfax, it sold/leased on Feb. 4 2017. Doesn’t factory warranty only start on the day it sold to a customer?
Old 06-09-2020, 11:26 AM

W205, X253, C190, W213,
Originally Posted by JcE
I mis-read. Vindecoderz is showing a delivery date of November 3, 2016 and not March. I’m assuming this is to the dealer. According to carfax, it sold/leased on Feb. 4 2017. Doesn’t factory warranty only start on the day it sold to a customer?
Mercedes can tell you when it was put "in service" and when the warranty started. Call and ask.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:50 AM

2019 GLC300, 2017 E300
Originally Posted by irondad
Mercedes can tell you when it was put "in service" and when the warranty started. Call and ask.
sounds like you’ll have factory until next feb then. The dealer can confirm it.
Old 06-09-2020, 12:20 PM
JcE

2017 W205
Thanks for the advice. I’ll reach out to my salesperson to clarify.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts
W205 2015
Do you have any pictures of this car so we know what we are talking about? Do you really like this car? Are you eager to buy it? I see you hesitating... Dont go for it if your are not eager and in love with this car no matter what documents say.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:23 PM

2019 GLC300, 2017 E300
Originally Posted by Andy74
Do you have any pictures of this car so we know what we are talking about? Do you really like this car? Are you eager to buy it? I see you hesitating... Dont go for it if your are not eager and in love with this car no matter what documents say.
this x100. I learned my lesson and it’s been a very annoying one.
Old 06-09-2020, 06:30 PM
JcE

2017 W205
Unfortunately i wasn’t able to take pictures. I actually am eager to get it but also trying to make sure to be logical about it. I did confirm with my dealer that factory warranty is good through Feb. next year.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts
W205 2015
Originally Posted by JcE
Unfortunately i wasn’t able to take pictures. I actually am eager to get it but also trying to make sure to be logical about it. I did confirm with my dealer that factory warranty is good through Feb. next year.
From the way you described it in terms of not being taken care of logic says to stay away from it with or without warranty. I really can't give you my opinion unless i get to see it.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Let me clarify a few things to set some off kilter things back right..

YES - this is a detailed answer - a Off-Lease C-Class can be a GREAT VALUE - since this is your 1st time thru - a good learning experience for you about buying a pre-owned MB.

1. Mercedes 1st Class Lease forgives "normal" wear and tear - and if a ding(s), dent(s), scratches can be covered by a credit card - there would be no extra charges to the returnee - and in the case the returnee was rolling forward to his next MB with that dealer - a "lot more" can be forgiven - which frankly is nobody's business.

2. Of "how" you mentioned it - and the salesman saw it - then YES there is no reason to doubt minor exterior/paint things can be made right - any MB dealer knows how to get cosmetic stuff done - and done right.

3. So that you know - on issues that cost money and/or your time - are Windshield (no cracks or chips) - and that the windshield is genuine MB (with MB factory markings) - and both those things have to be right - and frankly that windshield adds up to a lot more $$ that minor dents and scratches that done.
The 2nd issue is the condition of the air dam under the front bumper - especially metro's can get gashed and mashed up a bit - and anything around the lower edge of the car all around - that is easy for someone to miss - and you want to make sure that is righteous when you buy as well. Any repair there needs to be handled before you take possession - and is NOT a CPO inspection issue - if you miss it and take the car - that will be your issue to love with.
If a dark color especially - if with sunroof check the roof in front of the sunroof for any UV degradation - and check the "slot covers" on both sides of the roof (where a Euro roof rack goes) as often the plastic clot covers can change color and require respray - any issues there can be handled under New Car Warranty by the dealer before you take possession.
Also check the aluminum (or black if night package) window trim all around for any discoloration/blotches - that trim can be replaced under New Car Warranty by the dealer before you take possession.
Check for Wheel Scuff's which are NOT a CPO inspection item - but any decent dealer can easily get them handled BEFORE you take possession to save you time and money later.

4. The balance of the New Car Warranty is the friend of You and Your Dealer - things like exterior and interior trim problems (and sunrooof) can be handled under New Car Warranty that ARE NOT covered under the added Mercedes Certified Warranty.
The Dealer gets paid for the New Car Warranty Repairs of this type - but the Service Writer's and Tech's hate it because it doesn't pay either of them well - and BEST to get that ALL New Car Warranty - AND Dealer items like Wheel Scuff's - out of the way before you take possession - because "missing something now" means you will have to waste your time later haggling about it with a Service Writer later.

5. If COMAND Nav - then you need to make sure the Dealer checks and installs any available update NOW and Tech's HATE to check and do that because it doesn't pay - if Garmin Nav don't worry about that because you can buy a fresh/current SD Nav card on eBay for like $60 - if CarPlay/Android Auto - make sure BOTH center console USB ports are operating correctly - and if they are not that is another New Car Warranty issue to be taken care of now.

6. CPO inspection "should" take care of brakes/tires - but before taking possession since you are into this - understand the details on your C-Class - meaning if it keeps existing tires have them give you tread depth on each tire and look at each tire yourself - and if existing brake pads are kept - ask them if front and/or rear's are either "Green" or "Yellow" and if "Yellow" and ask them to recheck and give you the measurement for those Yellow pads (and I have seen Yellow when rechecked become Red/Replace. The Dealer pays for tires and brakes on CPO - and some MB shops "hedge"

7. YES - CPO's gives you a CarFax to signoff - so you will know at time of purchase the CarFax is clean or not - a CPO is allowed/CAN have accident or damage as long as that damage is NOT structural. If the returnee had his bumper repainted last week for cash - it WON'T show on CaFax - so look/check the car over. If the returnee has a $3,000 accident repair 2 weeks ago - that repair MAY NOT show on CarFax yet - so again look over the car at least twice.

8. Screw the decoder - the New Mercedes Warranty is 4yrs or 50K miles from original date in Service - whichever comes first -m and that In-Service date is given to you by the Dealer based on the Mercedes "VMI" - and NOT from CarFax or a Decoding Ring.
The free 1Yr Unlimited Mileage Mercedes Certified Warranty starts seamlessly when the New Car Warranty expires.

9. You haven't mentioned mileage now - and you need to know at 40K miles will be a B+ service - and at 50K miles will be a A & also fresh spark plugs will be due - and 60K is another B+ - . A 2yrs/20K miles Prepaid Maintenance is $1,250 - and 3yrs/30K is $1,750 - that is the MSRP from MB - and if you have future 40/50/60 services coming up down the road - and you prefer Dealer Service those Ppd Service Packs will save you money at the dealer.

I use a 2016 C-Class for my daily in-town driver - rock solid sedan - works fine for me - I am sure you will enjoy yours...

Keep the beat !
The following users liked this post:
ndr (06-10-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 07:23 AM
JcE

2017 W205
I really appreciate the detailed response!! I checked the car before it went in for reconditioning and reading your response, I guess the dents and scratches I’m fussing about are usual wear and tear. I’ll be sure to check the other items you mentioned and have the dealer address them before delivery. The car is currently at 29k miles and I’ll likely be going indy for service. I don’t expect to put a lot of miles on it, maybe 5k - 7k miles a yr since I work remote from home. I know to change the oil at least yearly but since mileage would be low, I’m thinking I’ll be able to put off the other upkeep items until I reach the actual mileage intervals ( ie: 40k 50k etc.) and do it then. I intend to keep it as long as I can or at least until I itch to upgrade. Lol
Old 06-14-2020, 06:29 AM
JcE

2017 W205
Just an update for everyone. I ended up taking delivery of the car. It does have some minor imperfections on the front and rear bumpers which I think is impossible to prevent. Something I’d have to live with. My sales rep will set up an appointment for the aluminum window trims to be replaced because it looks blotchy and discolored. I still have to drive it a little more to see how it feels but so far so good. I think I’ll be keeping it for a long time.

PS I don’t know what to think about that plastic crate thing. If you have any good use for it, kindly share it with me. Lol