Renntech ECU Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 01:37 PM
SGC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CL65
Vid

Video taken by RedBullJnky which shows RT CLS63 run a 10.92 @ 131.14 with a 1.84 60 foot in warm humid Florida air (+1200 DA) this weekend. Driven by Hartmut. Not the mysterious "hot shoe" that they have drive their cars . Not sure you can do this with a canned tune....

Last edited by SGC; 02-28-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by SGC
Video taken by RedBukkJnky which shows RT CLS63 run 10.92 @ 131.14 with a 1.84 60 foot in warm humid Florida air (+1200 DA) this weekend. Driven by Hartmut. Not the mysterious "hot shoe" that they have drive their cars . Not sure you can do this with a canned tune....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx2ML...x3kbVzV0muhayZ
Im sure you cant either but what other mods do you have? We all know tunes on turbos provide big gains but this car has much more. Im sure it has downpipes, exhaust, cat removal, what else?

You guys broke any drive shafts yet on your CLS fleet?

Just asking for the sake of full disclosure.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS 63 AMG
Originally Posted by SGC
. Not sure you can do this with a canned tune....

Nice run, but don't hate on the Canned tunes when Renntech uses them also. I don't care what they came on here and posted the information is out there for those in the know

Yes, Renntech will dyno and test and give input to the "canner" and the canner makes the changes and then supplies them back to Renntech in the form of a file. I know V-Tech does this too... so be it, but the fact of the matter is they are ALL loading "canned" tunes for this car. They do not have the ability to make changes while the car is on the dyno. The ECU must be removed from the car and opened and the file tweaked by the canner and then written to the ecu by Renntech, or Vtech, or whoever else is doing the tune.

The funny thing is, most everyone tuning these cars is using the same "canning company"

Peace!

Originally Posted by jacob502
First of all I am sorry about your hearing problem.

You might have the ability to tweak and customise tunes on the dyno. Heck a dyno operator could do this. I myself with proper training could do it. Please dont come and say the tune files are produced in-house by you.

A while back you were getting your files from Oliver @ Evotech.

Now you mentioned you work with two software engineers. mind if you tell us who they are?

You might be able to tweak, change variable and customise tunes. However, the tune files are not hacked by you.

*Admins: I'm not slamming this vendor, just want some facts to be cleared for potential customers.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:09 PM

2012 CLS 63 AMG
Originally Posted by Vic55
Im sure you cant either but what other mods do you have? We all know tunes on turbos provide big gains but this car has much more. Im sure it has downpipes, exhaust, cat removal, what else?
+1

I see skinny's on the front of that car too

Skinny's were good for 2 tenths on my ZO6
Old 02-28-2012, 03:24 PM
SGC

2006 CL65

Vic,

You're right, can't trap 131+ mph with only a tune. It takes over 600 to the wheels to trap 131 plus in a CLS.

Its my understanding that the car has a tune, downpipes w/high flow cats (200 cell) and intercooler upgrade.

Stock air box, stock turbos, full weight, etc.

No broken driveshafts, but broke an axle shaft about three weeks ago. More people will experience this if they track their cars and make decent power with a tune.

The axle shafts appear to be a weak link.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:26 PM

2012 CLS 63 AMG
Originally Posted by SGC
Vic,

You're right, can't trap 131+ mph with only a tune. It takes over 600 to the wheels to trap 131 plus in a CLS.

Its my understanding that the car has a tune, downpipes w/high flow cats (200 cell) and intercooler upgrade.

Stock air box, stock turbos, full weight, etc.

No broken driveshafts, but broke an axle shaft about three weeks ago. More people will experience this if they track their cars and make decent power with a tune.

Yikes! that's what I was afraid of

Thanks for sharing the info. That's all the confirmation I need to keep my car tuned only. Canned, just the way I like it
Old 02-28-2012, 03:32 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by SGC

ain't that a b...
Old 02-28-2012, 03:32 PM
SGC

2006 CL65
Originally Posted by Ready2roll
Nice run, but don't hate on the Canned tunes when Renntech uses them also. I don't care what they came on here and posted the information is out there for those in the know

Yes, Renntech will dyno and test and give input to the "canner" and the canner makes the changes and then supplies them back to Renntech in the form of a file. I know V-Tech does this too... so be it, but the fact of the matter is they are ALL loading "canned" tunes for this car. They do not have the ability to make changes while the car is on the dyno. The ECU must be removed from the car and opened and the file tweaked by the canner and then written to the ecu by Renntech, or Vtech, or whoever else is doing the tune.

The funny thing is, most everyone tuning these cars is using the same "canning company"

Peace!
Ready2Roll,

Wasn't hating on canned tunes or V-tech. Just thought it was hilarious that uninformed people are throwing around the "canned tuned" terminology when they don't know their a** from a hole in the ground.

As for Renntech, I know and observed how they tuned my X5M from scratch, and I have seen their operation. I think that you and other people on this board may be misinformed regarding how Renntech creates its tuning software.

I was not getting on V-tech, so take a deep breath..
Old 02-28-2012, 03:34 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
There is no magic wand in tuning. Two skilled tuners will just about end up at the same place. Keep in mind there are bad tuners though.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
I know your "numbers" comment meant performance, not price.

Your post stated, paraphrasing, "if Vtech and Renntech offer similar results, and Vtech costs $1500 less, why wouldn't someone go with Vtech over Renntech?" - I offered a couple hypotheses as to why.

Personally, if I were driving a brand new CLS63TT or E63TT, with a newly released engine that tuners are just at the "tip of the iceberg" of figuring out, I probably wouldn't run a tune from a newcomer (no offense to Vtech or any other applicable tuners).

The admittedly subjective, peace-of-mind aspect of going with a longstanding AMG tuning solution like Kleemann (who might not even have a M157 tune yet, IDK) or Renntech would be worth the extra coin to me.

I tend to hang onto cars, though - some guys switch cars every year (or less) - in those cases, maybe the "longevity-risk" doesn't matter as much... as it'd be the 2nd/3rd/4th owner's problem to figure out.
Then if you knew my "numbers" comment was referring to track numbers and performance figures why do you say it only matters to me and not for everyone else?
What would be the point of getting a tune if track numbers and performance didn't matter? Apparently, it does.

Listen, I know exactly what your trying to say.
I know people want peace of mind by going with a trusted tuner like Renntech. I don't disagree with you on that. I think people could make up they're minds for themselves, and could go with whatever tuner they want.
Be it Renntech, Kleeman, ETC...

If you think its worth the extra coin and of peace of mind, then by all means go for it.

Last edited by _AMG_; 02-28-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:39 PM
SGC

2006 CL65
Yikes! that's what I was afraid of

Thanks for sharing the info. That's all the confirmation I need to keep my car tuned only. Canned, just the way I like it
No problem.

Probably not a bad idea if you don't want to break anything.

As an aside, back in the day, I enjoyed my "canned" Hypertech tune in my Grand National.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:40 PM

2012 CLS 63 AMG
Originally Posted by SGC
Ready2Roll,

Wasn't hating on canned tunes or V-tech. Just thought it was hilarious that uninformed people are throwing around the "canned tuned" terminology when they don't know their a** from a hole in the ground.

As for Renntech, I know and observed how they tuned my X5M from scratch, and I have seen their operation. I think that you and other people on this board may be misinformed regarding how Renntech creates its tuning software.

I was not getting on V-tech, so take a deep breath..
I agree on all accounts! I'm not knocking Renntech at all so sorry If I come off that way. I know they have a first class operation and do most of their tuning from scratch, just not on the CLS63TT like many people try to make you believe.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:42 PM
SGC

2006 CL65
Originally Posted by _AMG_
Then if you knew my "numbers" comment was referring to track numbers and performance figures why do you say it only matters to me and not for everyone else?
What would be the point of getting a tune if track numbers and performance didn't matter? Apparently, it does.

Listen, I know exactly what your trying to say.
I know people want peace of mind by going with a trusted tuner like Renntech. I don't disagree with you on that. I think people could make up they're minds for themselves, and could go with whatever tuner they want.
Be it Renntech, Kleeman, ETC...

If you think its worth the extra coin and of peace of mind, then by all means go for it.
Well said.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:47 PM
SGC

2006 CL65
I agree on all accounts! I'm not knocking Renntech at all so sorry If I come off that way. I know they have a first class operation and do most of their tuning from scratch, just not on the CLS63TT like many people try to make you believe.
No problem.

I guess we are entitled to disagree on some points, including how Renntech creates their software since I have seen what they do to create its software.

That being said, congrats again to you for your 11.3 runs on street rubber.

Last edited by SGC; 02-28-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
+1

I see skinny's on the front of that car too

Skinny's were good for 2 tenths on my ZO6
I saw that too. So this car isn't full weight. Wonder what else it has done.

Also the driver in that vid doesn't look like he has much 1/4 mile experience. You're not supposed to your burnout IN the water That car should be getting alot better ET.

One thing to also consider is this CLS63 is a RT test car. Is the tune they sell the same tune they are selling customers? Is it a race gas tune because that makes a big difference. To me a canned tune means a tune thats conservative and applicable across all cars of that model that you can just mail in and get. A dyno tune is tuned to extract the most out of that particular car. Independent track results are more representative of what the end consumer recieves IMO. A test car can have more timing thrown at it and leaned out etc and may vary with the tune thats sold.

Last edited by blackbenzz; 02-28-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
I did not say it only matters to you, and not for everyone else. I tend to not post in absolutes like that. Try not to, anyway.

In post #55, you said "at the end of the day, it's all about the numbers" - I simply disagreed with that premise, because there are plenty of subjective, intangible reasons someone might pick their tuner based on something other than simply "the numbers."

So, to reiterate, it might be "all about the numbers" to you, but respectively, it's not "all about the numbers" to everyone.

Also, saying "it's not all about the numbers" isn't equivalent to saying "track numbers and performance [don't] matter." I'm sure you understand, but if not, PM me.

Originally Posted by MBH motorsports
There is no magic wand in tuning. Two skilled tuners will just about end up at the same place. Keep in mind there are bad tuners though.
Well said, hooleyboy. Agree 100%.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:09 PM

2012 CLS 63 AMG
Originally Posted by blackbenzz

One thing to also consider is this CLS63 is a RT test car. Is the tune they sell the same tune they are selling customers? Is it a race gas tune because that makes a big difference. To me a canned tune means a tune thats conservative and applicable across all cars of that model that you can just mail in and get. A dyno tune is tuned to extract the most out of that particular car. Independent track results are more representative of what the end consumer recieves IMO. A test car can have more timing thrown at it and leaned out etc and may vary with the tune thats sold.
You know that's a damn good point and something to take into consideration.
My ZO6 is dyno tuned which gave it much more power than a canned tune, but that doesn't mean I could put my ZO6 tune on any other car. It would mean disaster. So basically "canned" tunes are safe for the masses and not such a bad thing.

Last edited by Ready2roll; 02-28-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
I did not say it only matters to you, and not for everyone else. I tend to not post in absolutes like that. Try not to, anyway.

In post #55, you said "at the end of the day, it's all about the numbers" - I simply disagreed with that premise, because there are plenty of subjective, intangible reasons someone might pick their tuner based on something other than simply "the numbers."

So, to reiterate, it might be "all about the numbers" to you, but respectively, it's not "all about the numbers" to everyone.

Also, saying "it's not all about the numbers" isn't equivalent to saying "track numbers and performance [don't] matter." I'm sure you understand, but if not, PM me.
Totally understandable.
No need to over analyze these things.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Totally understandable.
No need to over analyze these things.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:13 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Every tuner should have a Max Effort tune for dyno work and speedfreak customers, and a mail-order tune for, well, everything else. But just like how Ferrari takes what they learn in F1 and apply it to their street cars, a tuner would likely learn from the dyno time and apply it to the 'customer safe' version.

Another way to determine when someone has a "canned" tune, their exhaust smells like StarKist!
Old 02-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2012 CLS63
Good afternoon everyone! I see some talk of canned tunes which is a generic term. Yes, our tune can be considered canned by many. It's a powerful tune yet safe at the same time which is important when distributing tunes for cars across the world.

We do have the ability to do custom tuning which would require you to bring your car to our dyno facility in Lafayette, Louisiana. If anyone is interested feel free to contact me at any time.

Kindest regards,
Old 02-28-2012, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
Had My car tuned

Done by AMG, in Germany, It even got a special code name, P30...covered by warrenty too
Old 02-28-2012, 11:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 Purpose built race car, 2015 CLS 63 S, 2016 GLA45, 2017 GTS
Originally Posted by vdubpower
Had My car tuned

Done by AMG, in Germany, It even got a special code name, P30...covered by warrenty too
HAHA.....classic man. I've had CLS 63s, both with the performance package, since 2007 and even with the power of the new engine....I-STILL-NEED-MORE!
Old 02-29-2012, 12:09 AM
SGC

2006 CL65
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
I saw that too. So this car isn't full weight. Wonder what else it has done.

Also the driver in that vid doesn't look like he has much 1/4 mile experience. You're not supposed to your burnout IN the water That car should be getting alot better ET.

My New Year's resolution is going out the window.

BlackBenz, I knew the you wouldn't be able to help yourself from chiming in.

When did you become an authority on drag racing. Remember you claimed that you hadn't been to the track in years, and also claimed that your car was going to run 9s at your track rental; unfortunately, you couldn't get out of the 11s. The only thing preventing your car from running properly was your boat load of excuses..."my car was backfiring"... "I didn't want to break an axle"...on and on.

Also, the driver of the car that you are ridiculing like a child owns Renntech, can buy and sell you a 1000 times over, and doesn't need your approval. Even the way he drove the car, he trapped more than your stripped out sled has ever trapped.

Must I remind you again that you couldn't lay off your keyboard long enough to get your skeleton of a CLK to run properly for your track rental, and now you pipe-in when you don't have a clue as usual. In addition, you showed your real colors when you backed out from attending my track rental to prove up your babble, even though I agreed to pay for your trip.

Also, .2 tenths from skinnies - you are dreaming. So let me get this straight, in your mind putting skinnies on a car means its not full weight, but you can strip out your CLK, including the seats, and you claim it is full weight. What a clown.

Regarding the "race gas" tune that your claiming Renntech is using that it doesn't offer to customers (according to you), I guess that would prove that RENNtech doesn't use a "canned tune".

Sell your back-firing, stripped out sled and get a new 63TT Benz so your comments might have a sliver of relevance in this thread.

Last edited by SGC; 02-29-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:28 AM

CL65

Did you just mention "full disclosure" in a Renntech thread????....I almost fell out of my seat laughing.

It's a shame because they have run some incredible times with their cars. Unfortunately they have left themselves without much credibility. Oh well, life goes on I guess...........

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Renntech ECU Upgrade