C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

06 cls55 amg or 06 m5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 cls55 amg or 06 m5

i want to get one this spring coming up .

witch one would you buy?
Old 08-11-2007, 12:23 AM

I was wondering the same. Go test drive each, even if it's just the base models. The M5 is the handler of the two, but the interior is just bland, as is the exterior for that matter. The CLS handles surprisingly well for 4,300lbs., but the int/ext styling is incredible compared to ANY car, let alone the M5. I also don't like what I'm hearing/reading about SMG either. For me it's the CLS.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:03 AM

2006 cls55 amg 2008 GL550 2011 audi R8 V10
hey its cpv33 from caddy forums!
remember moldy form there?
cheers
Old 08-11-2007, 05:42 AM

CLS 55
cls55 vs m5 decision

i went through this decision about 1 month ago and test drove both of them. i was coming from a 2003 bmw 540i msport and have been a multiple bmw owner and enthusiast for years. however, i have not been pleased with bmw's recent styling directions under chris bangle though i do think that the new 335i coupe is great.
the m5 is definitely the handler between the two though the cls is very good. while both can be driven ridiculously fast, the bmw steering feel and chassis communication are sharper. the brakes are also easier to modulate than the cls55 though the improved nonelectrohydraulic cls63 brakes are probably equal to the m5's.
if you are going to track the car regularly, then i would get the m5 hands down/no question.
the m5 has a very high revving motor that makes an intoxicating sound as it goes to 8000 rpm but it doesnt make its significant torque until i believe around 3900 rpm. for everyday street use, this means you have to drive it like you just stole it to get significant acceleration.in fact, i believe that the torque curves of the bmw 550i and 335i are better choices if you do any significant city driving as i have to do. the cls 55 is a torque monster delivering alot more at alot lower rpms. for daily driving with urban commuting, it is far superior to the m5.
you also need to try the smg transmisssion in the m5. imho, you have to realize that this is a manual transmission without a clutch and you have to drive it like a manual anticipating your downshifts etc.this may be alot of fun on a track or if you live in wide open montana or backroads of vermont but gets old for any commuting with bumper to bumper traffic.
the cls55 speedshift auto is the better overall choice. i enjoy manual transmissions on a track or when on vacation in europe but for my current daily driving needs with urban commuting involved, i strongly prefer a shiftable automatic.

if you read the car magazines, everyone hates the idrive in bmws. i did not find it to be so bad in its current 2008 m5 version that i test drove but it is certainly not a plus.
the cls55 is a strikingly beautiful car both inside and out. the m5 is not close although i guess i have gotten used to the 5 series exterior which i previously really disliked.the cls55 interior with leather and wood and styling just blows the bmw away.

also realize that at least in the u.s.a., mercedes only makes a cls 500/550 and 55/63 and only since 2006. this makes the vehicle somewhat exclusive. the bmw 5 series on which the m5 is based has been around since 2004 and is sold in 525/528, 530/535 545/550 as well as m5 configurations so you will see yourself coming and going alot more if you should care about this.

because of the way you have to drive the m5 in order to get the acceleration that you have paid for, the m5 gets alot less mpg in the real world than the cls55.(about 11 mpg vs 15.6 mpg-ofcourse, ymmv.) the m5 also has a smaller gas tank of around 18.5 gallons vs. the cls which has 21.1 gallons. this means that the range between fill-ups with the m5 is pretty low,around 200 miles.the cls55 range is about 330 miles.

the cls55 is also a more comfortable car while still delivering very good handling.

bmw does include free maintenance for 4 years/50k miles which mercedes used to do until 2004 but no longer does and this is worth about $600-$800(?) for your consideration.

even though i have always been a "bmw guy" and felt that mercedes were a little stodgy compared to bmws, i purchased the cls55 and i love it. for me , it was the better choice.

in addition to researching both cars and test driving them, i searched online and found on the 6speedonline forums a very nice gentleman from california who owned both the cls55 and m5 at the same time(!) and is also a kleeman dealer. i contacted him and he was very helpful in giving me his insights.

if you dont need the room (or 4 doors), i would look at the bmw 335i sport pkg or 2008 m3 that is around the corner and are wonderful cars.

anyway, i hope this was helpful and best of luck in your decisions. realize that there are no wrong choices here but only what is a better fit for your needs and desires.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by Jonathan G.
i went through this decision about 1 month ago and test drove both of them. i was coming from a 2003 bmw 540i msport and have been a multiple bmw owner and enthusiast for years. however, i have not been pleased with bmw's recent styling directions under chris bangle though i do think that the new 335i coupe is great.
the m5 is definitely the handler between the two though the cls is very good. while both can be driven ridiculously fast, the bmw steering feel and chassis communication are sharper. the brakes are also easier to modulate than the cls55 though the improved nonelectrohydraulic cls63 brakes are probably equal to the m5's.
if you are going to track the car regularly, then i would get the m5 hands down/no question.
the m5 has a very high revving motor that makes an intoxicating sound as it goes to 8000 rpm but it doesnt make its significant torque until i believe around 3900 rpm. for everyday street use, this means you have to drive it like you just stole it to get significant acceleration.in fact, i believe that the torque curves of the bmw 550i and 335i are better choices if you do any significant city driving as i have to do. the cls 55 is a torque monster delivering alot more at alot lower rpms. for daily driving with urban commuting, it is far superior to the m5.
you also need to try the smg transmisssion in the m5. imho, you have to realize that this is a manual transmission without a clutch and you have to drive it like a manual anticipating your downshifts etc.this may be alot of fun on a track or if you live in wide open montana or backroads of vermont but gets old for any commuting with bumper to bumper traffic.
the cls55 speedshift auto is the better overall choice. i enjoy manual transmissions on a track or when on vacation in europe but for my current daily driving needs with urban commuting involved, i strongly prefer a shiftable automatic.

if you read the car magazines, everyone hates the idrive in bmws. i did not find it to be so bad in its current 2008 m5 version that i test drove but it is certainly not a plus.
the cls55 is a strikingly beautiful car both inside and out. the m5 is not close although i guess i have gotten used to the 5 series exterior which i previously really disliked.the cls55 interior with leather and wood and styling just blows the bmw away.

also realize that at least in the u.s.a., mercedes only makes a cls 500/550 and 55/63 and only since 2006. this makes the vehicle somewhat exclusive. the bmw 5 series on which the m5 is based has been around since 2004 and is sold in 525/528, 530/535 545/550 as well as m5 configurations so you will see yourself coming and going alot more if you should care about this.

because of the way you have to drive the m5 in order to get the acceleration that you have paid for, the m5 gets alot less mpg in the real world than the cls55.(about 11 mpg vs 15.6 mpg-ofcourse, ymmv.) the m5 also has a smaller gas tank of around 18.5 gallons vs. the cls which has 21.1 gallons. this means that the range between fill-ups with the m5 is pretty low,around 200 miles.the cls55 range is about 330 miles.

the cls55 is also a more comfortable car while still delivering very good handling.

bmw does include free maintenance for 4 years/50k miles which mercedes used to do until 2004 but no longer does and this is worth about $600-$800(?) for your consideration.

even though i have always been a "bmw guy" and felt that mercedes were a little stodgy compared to bmws, i purchased the cls55 and i love it. for me , it was the better choice.

in addition to researching both cars and test driving them, i searched online and found on the 6speedonline forums a very nice gentleman from california who owned both the cls55 and m5 at the same time(!) and is also a kleeman dealer. i contacted him and he was very helpful in giving me his insights.

if you dont need the room (or 4 doors), i would look at the bmw 335i sport pkg or 2008 m3 that is around the corner and are wonderful cars.

anyway, i hope this was helpful and best of luck in your decisions. realize that there are no wrong choices here but only what is a better fit for your needs and desires.

Great write up.

I also think the new 335 sensational..Hardtop is sik

This comparo is better than any I have seen in the auto rags.

Get a CLS 63 so you get the high revs and torque plus the ultimate high speed cruiser
Old 08-11-2007, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by moldowan
hey its cpv33 from caddy forums!
remember moldy form there?
cheers

Absolutely. Looking at the CLS55. After 2 CTS-V's and 2 SRT-8's I may as well break down and add a Mercedes to the list.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by cvp33
Absolutely. Looking at the CLS55. After 2 CTS-V's and 2 SRT-8's I may as well break down and add a Mercedes to the list.
The 55 is everything you could ever need in a sedan (4 door coupe) SWEEEEET, do it man get 030 and start the heads a turning

CLS is best looking IMO and that 55 motor easy to mod and a torque monster
Handles dam good too
Old 08-11-2007, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by Jonathan G.
Neither car is built for regular track use. Weight sees to this. Good write up, but remember the single caliper brakes on the M5 mean you'll have a soggy pedal after no more than three hot laps. Also, you'll need the 030 option on the AMG or it will fare even worse.

Personally, I prefer the M5 as it's more practical while in my opinion has more of a "wow" factor. Would've thought the OP would be choosing between the M6 and CLS but seemingly not.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:53 PM

cls

well if you think about it im within a price range and an m6 is in the mid 80's.

plus i want good room in the back seat..

what is the 030 option. i was actually leaning towards the cls due to the fact the 5er will change body sooner.

and i am looking to purchase this coming spring , im guessing i could find eithier car with no more than 30k miles in the mid to high 50's.

Last edited by piff2121; 08-11-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by piff2121
well if you think about it im within a price range and an m6 is in the mid 80's.

plus i want good room in the back seat..

what is the 030 option. i was actually leaning towards the cls due to the fact the 5er will change body sooner.

and i am looking to purchase this coming spring , im guessing i could find eithier car with no more than 30k miles in the mid to high 50's.
030 is larger brakes, better suspension, LSD and speed limiter increased(from 155-186mph)
Old 08-11-2007, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts
‘23 EQS AMG
CLS, no question about it.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:47 PM

i actually own both an e63 amg as well as an e60 m5...both cars are great! The e63 is definately better for crusing around town, tons of low down torque, while the m5 is definately more track oriented and has a much stiffer ride then the e63 even at its softest setting. As has been said before you really have to drive the m5 harder to get more performence out of it. That being said it also snaps off shifts way way faster then the e63. So basically it just really depends on what you want, like i said both cars are great. oh by the way my screen name has nothing to do with which car i like better, my son made this screen name because he likes the m5 better and thought it would be funny if i was stuck using this screen name.

Last edited by e60m5isbetter; 08-11-2007 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:39 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by e60m5isbetter
i actually own both an e63 amg as well as an e60 m5...both cars are great! The e63 is definately better for crusing around town, tons of low down torque, while the m5 is definately more track oriented and has a much stiffer ride then the e63 even at its softest setting. As has been said before you really have to drive the m5 harder to get more performence out of it. That being said it also snaps off shifts way way faster then the e63. So basically it just really depends on what you want, like i said both cars are great. oh by the way my screen name has nothing to do with which car i like better, my son made this screen name because he likes the m5 better and thought it would be funny if i was stuck using this screen name.
lol well since you have 3 posts i do not think a name change would kill you
thanks for clearing it up though
Old 08-12-2007, 02:46 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
Neither car is built for regular track use. Weight sees to this. Good write up, but remember the single caliper brakes on the M5 mean you'll have a soggy pedal after no more than three hot laps. Also, you'll need the 030 option on the AMG or it will fare even worse.

Personally, I prefer the M5 as it's more practical while in my opinion has more of a "wow" factor. Would've thought the OP would be choosing between the M6 and CLS but seemingly not.
Please do explain how the m5 is more practical, seeing how allot of people have stated that some of the m5s cons are :
  • comfort
  • fuel economy
  • bumper to bumper use

Even the mags have come to realize this
M5 is a great car do not misunderstand me, but from a practicality point of view, seems that allot of people side with the AMG.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:24 AM

You name it i've had it or got it...
Both great cars you can't go wrong....this was how I see the positives over the other...

CLS55
Torque
Exterior styling
Interior (Just slightly)
Comfort

M5
Transmission (You either love it or hate it..I love it)
Better steering response
Tighter suspension
Old 08-12-2007, 04:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

88 Caddy on 28's
M5.......................
Old 08-12-2007, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by piff2121

I think you'll find an M5 in the upper end of that price range. They're already getting close. But to get into the CLS, I think you're going to be in the 62-65K range.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:05 AM

You name it i've had it or got it...
yep your dead on cvp....
Old 08-13-2007, 01:01 PM

'10 Tesla Roadster, '06 AMG CLS 55; '00 SVT F-150
went thru the same decision last year...

All the above were the same points that made me realize that a CLS was for me rather than an M5. I believe Motor Trend has a nice comparison from last year that you can find on-line that I thought was fairly good. Of course, Motor Trend tends to leans toward the BMWs because of handling characteristics, but I do not think they were unfair to the CLS in anyway.

One of my close friends has the M5 while another has the E55. So when the CLS came out, in my opinion, it immediately won me over hands down just in styling. It gives me all the performance of the E55, while bringing a very unique look with it.

The M5 is stiffier and does handles a little tighter, but as a daily driver, the SMG & iDrive were negative even in my friend's opinion. Overall, the mercedes is currently the most elegant in my opinion and performance is on par with other super-sedans out there.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:00 PM

magLipVE
Originally Posted by Blood Doctor
All the above were the same points that made me realize that a CLS was for me rather than an M5. I believe Motor Trend has a nice comparison from last year that you can find on-line that I thought was fairly good. Of course, Motor Trend tends to leans toward the BMWs because of handling characteristics, but I do not think they were unfair to the CLS in anyway.

One of my close friends has the M5 while another has the E55. So when the CLS came out, in my opinion, it immediately won me over hands down just in styling. It gives me all the performance of the E55, while bringing a very unique look with it.

The M5 is stiffier and does handles a little tighter, but as a daily driver, the SMG & iDrive were negative even in my friend's opinion. Overall, the mercedes is currently the most elegant in my opinion and performance is on par with other super-sedans out there.

agree... dont know about you guys, but for me, looks of the car is top on the list. you just dont go buy a car that you dont lust over. neither of these cars are made for track, so dont base your decision on that.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:11 PM

06 CLS55 AMG-all options sans Distronic; Carrera4S; 07 M5;Lexus GS300
excellent comments by both Jonathan G and Zod. I own a 55 and have driven friend's M5 several times. While I don't have any reason to check on resale prices for the M5, he was lamenting that you can buy one now in the mid-50's.

As in all other markets, the secondary mkt pricing speaks volumes. Also, as in all other things, first define what your needs and objectives are are the decision making becomes infinitely easier.
I love my 55, though the Drive Dynamic seats and the thin girly steering wheel are minuses.
Brake modulation and steering feel being poor, as some have said: not, once you get used to it and learn how to modulate it. Also, the steering wheel feel is nuanced and sophisticated; it's a Ducati/subtler feel rather than a Harley/truck feel...just my $0.02.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:12 AM

06 CLS55
Just faced the same decision myself

Jonathan's write-up was excellent and I agree with him completely. I too have been a long time BMW guy; in fact I just sold a E39 540/6 and an 01 S54 M Roadster. I also considered the M5, but the truth is as much as I've gotten used to the Bangle styled exteriors (I still hate the 7 series) they lost me on the interior design. It’s just too... I don’t know...Japanese? I understand the design decision BMW made and it has worked well for them (sales are up), but inevitably they will lose some of us diehards because of it. Curiously MB realized this as well and I've read someplace that the CLS was at least in part realized to draw former and would be BMW buyers. I took delivery of my CLS55 2 weeks ago and I absolutely love it! Although no faster than my M Roadster was, the way that acceleration is delivered is truly an amazing feat of engineering. There is no drama, just breathtaking acceleration from just about any speed. Granted the handling, steering and breaking are not as crisp, in real everyday driving these shortcomings are a blessing more than a hindrance. I'm sure you will be happy with either car, but given the similar performance, I'd go for what feels and looks better for you.