C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Need some advice on a sticky situation.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 CLS550 & 05 E55
Need some advice on a sticky situation.

Okay so the other day I was out clean my car when the inner lip of the rim had some grease on it. I figured that I may have picked it up somewhere on the road so I whipped it all down nice and clean. A few days later after getting home in my car I noticed the grease had came back so I figure I had some sorta problem. So I pull the car in the garage up on the lift to inspect further. I noticed that there was a rubber boot that goes around the axle was torn a bit and figured that the grease was leaking out of the axle boot cover. So being that I had to leave to go out of town I hop in my other car and head out of town. When I returned I called my dealership and told them about some grease behind the wheel they told me bring it in and well look at. I drove it down the following morning and did not talk about what I had found just told them that there was some grease leaking blah blah blah. After a few hours I got a call and they said that it was the axle boot cover. So I was like okay can you fix it they said sure 1600.00 bucks and warrenty won't cover it. They said that the cars been lowered the brakes are aftermarket and the wheels aren't stock so I was cracking up on the phone and told them I would be down there later to pick up the car. Also I forgot they told me there not sure weather warrenty would cover it or not till they pull the axle out to see if it's defective or the work that done on my car cause the problem. So the same month I bought my car from the dealership I bought 2 cars my CLS and also a C class and had inquired about the new C63 but for sure will no longer be doing business with my local dealership again. I have already found a dealership willing to take the job under warrenty but it 3 hours away from. So my question is has anyone had something like this happen to them and what was there outcome or what did they do? Also would it be a good idea to get the car fixed and contact MB about what I had to do? Any help would be apprecaited thanks in advance.

PS: My english sucks I am not American so forgive me for my grammer.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:18 PM

'03 E55
As much as I hate to say it, with your car being lowered, they would seem to have reasonable justification to deny the torn boot under warranty. It sounds like the other dealership is doing you a big favor by covering it under warranty. I personally would not contact MB to complain about the 1st dealer for fear of getting someone in trouble at the other dealership that is trying to help you.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
Originally Posted by Hazy1
As much as I hate to say it, with your car being lowered, they would seem to have reasonable justification to deny the torn boot under warranty. It sounds like the other dealership is doing you a big favor by covering it under warranty. I personally would not contact MB to complain about the 1st dealer for fear of getting someone in trouble at the other dealership that is trying to help you.

+1.

Lowering attracts attention to the problem area and a cause for concern to not honor the warranty. The non stock rim issue is straight BS in this case.

On a unrelated issue, since the car is lowered, who is to say that the factory wheel alignment specs are correct for your car? Have you noticed unusal wear on the tires?
Old 09-19-2007, 08:38 PM

07 CLS550 & 05 E55
Hazy1 - Thanks for the input I am just frustraded that one benz dealership is not honoring my warrenty and the other is that is why I feel like getting the job done and having my car fixed and then contacting benz. I believe that all dealerships are equal and there is no reason for me having to take my car to another dealership to have it worked on. This is why I feel like I should say something but then again I don't want to harm the people who are helping me. This car only has 4300 miles on it so I don't really care about having to spend 1600.00 for a new axle but its the fact that one dealership is willing to help me and the other isn't.

m_berman - I don't know if the alignment specs are right when the car was lowered it was realigned but I have no idea of what specs like I said the car has 4300 miles on it now and the car got lowered at 1000 miles so I have not seen any unusal wear yet.

Thanks again for your input I'll keep you posted on what happens.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:19 AM

'03 E55
I agree with your thinking to a certain extent, as you should expect the same experience at every location; however, we all know that in the real world that just doesn't happen. All dealerships are definitely not equal, and for that matter, the outcome of your situation with aftermarket changes/parts will often have different outcomes depending on who you deal with at an individual dealer.

My service advisor, while a really nice guy, did nothing over a period of 3-4 months to resolve my issues with the intercooler pump and supercharger. When I started dealing directly with the tech who was working on my car, the problems were immediately fixed.

I think that the 1st dealer is just doing things "by the book", while the second dealer really is breaking the rules to help you out. I wouldn't want to risk throwing someone under the bus who just took a gamble to help me out. Just my opinion.

Good Luck
Old 09-20-2007, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is the AMG forum. Its funny how you never came down to LA and "SHiet" on us. Loser
Old 09-20-2007, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts
‘23 EQS AMG
lol Ed, Round 2.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:40 PM

07 CLS550 & 05 E55
Hazy1 - Thanks again I think I will take your advice.

Blue_Monster - I'm really not gonna waste my energy with you but I am a man of my word when I make it down there you will see me.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
Originally Posted by allied107
Hazy1 - Thanks for the input I am just frustraded that one benz dealership is not honoring my warrenty and the other is that is why I feel like getting the job done and having my car fixed and then contacting benz. I believe that all dealerships are equal and there is no reason for me having to take my car to another dealership to have it worked on. This is why I feel like I should say something but then again I don't want to harm the people who are helping me. This car only has 4300 miles on it so I don't really care about having to spend 1600.00 for a new axle but its the fact that one dealership is willing to help me and the other isn't.

m_berman - I don't know if the alignment specs are right when the car was lowered it was realigned but I have no idea of what specs like I said the car has 4300 miles on it now and the car got lowered at 1000 miles so I have not seen any unusal wear yet.

Thanks again for your input I'll keep you posted on what happens.
You might want to call Vadim. At his shop he has a special kind of alignment rack that is designed for lowered cars. He says its the only one in the US.

Vadim Fedorovsky
Sales/Service/R&D

Global Motorsports Group (GMG)
3210 S. Shannon St.
Santa Ana, CA 92704
vadim@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

It would be nice to know if the specs are really different between lowered and non lowered. And where do the lowered specs come from....certainly not MB? If you talk to Vadim, please post your findings on this issue.