C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Whats the different between 172mm and 180mm pulleys

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
:)
Whats the different between 172mm and 180mm pulleys

I am moving forward with some engine mods. I've heard different things about 172mm vs 180mm pulley kits.
Can someone knowledgeable go over with me the difference? and also the reliability of each? I've heard 180mm is not for daily driver, and 172mm is much more reliable, is that correct?
Old 04-11-2009, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
Originally Posted by newguycls55
I am moving forward with some engine mods. I've heard different things about 172mm vs 180mm pulley kits.
Can someone knowledgeable go over with me the difference? and also the reliability of each? I've heard 180mm is not for daily driver, and 172mm is much more reliable, is that correct?
the bigger it is, the quicker you get overheating issues you then have to cope somehow ... except you need it only for a one fourth mile run or you live in a very cold area

you can find a lot on this subject by using the search function. you will also find a naive table showing a supposed relation between pulley dia and HP increase

about two years ago the question was deeply discussed and the consensus, at that time, was for a pulley close to 170mm as the best option .
...today it's moving forward
btw,

Last edited by dyno; 04-11-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
+1 on the suggestion to search. There's a ton of good information already posted.

A larger pulley increases the supercharger's boost more than a smaller pulley, but you already knew that. This thread has a good description on the amount of boost relative to pulley size: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ize-boost.html.

All things being equal more boost makes more horsepower. The problem is our cars have load limiters built into the ECU and TCU. If you exceed one of the load limiters the ECU will reduce power output. The workaround to this constraint is ECU (and sometimes TCU) tuning to increase (or even remove) the load limiter.

More boost also makes more heat. Too much heat in the air intake will also cause the ECU to reduce power. The workaround to this constraint is to increase the capacity of the intercooler cooling system.

If you ensure that limiter and cooling are not constraints then a 180mm pulley will make more horsepower than a 172mm pulley.

Would it really be less reliable than a 172mm pulley? If you did a full bore statistical analysis it's likely the MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) is lower for the bigger pulley simply because it's making more power but I doubt the difference would be noticeable over the normal life of a car. I have no qualms about running a 175mm VRP pulley on my car.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jmf003
+1 on the suggestion to search. There's a ton of good information already posted.

if you disagree with something else I wrote, you can tell me explicitly..
Old 04-12-2009, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 SL55
Originally Posted by dyno
if you disagree with something else I wrote, you can tell me explicitly..
I'm not following you here.

I used "+1" to explicitly agree with you about the value of searching for extra info.

I don't particularly disagree with anything you wrote and my comments are generally similar to yours with respect to cooling.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:12 PM
Banned

Sport HSE

you can find a lot on this subject by using the search function. you will also find a naive table showing a supposed relation between pulley dia and HP increase
If you increase the diameter of the crank pulley then the blower spins quicker which creates more boost. More boost more HP correct? However we have no idea what PSI this represent becuase nobody puts a boost gauge in their cars. Not even the tuners which i find odd. Obviously the stock blower is only going to flow but so much air. I would like to know how much boost can be ran on pump gas using the stock blower and fuel system. Also what size pulley is needed to achieve this boost level.

Best,
Old 04-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Banned

Sport HSE

If you increase the diameter of the crank pulley then the blower spins quicker which creates more boost. More boost more HP correct? However we have no idea what PSI this represent becuase nobody puts a boost gauge in their cars,which i find odd. Obviously the stock blower is only going to flow but so much air. I would like to know how much boost can be ran on pump gas using the stock blower and fuel system. Also what size pulley is needed to achieve this boost level.

Best,
Old 04-12-2009, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jmf003
I'm not following you here.

I used "+1" to explicitly agree with you about the value of searching for extra info.

I don't particularly disagree with anything you wrote and my comments are generally similar to yours with respect to cooling.
sorry, I misunderstood that our common thinking was only the value of searching !
LOL
Old 04-12-2009, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by A Robinson
If you increase the diameter of the crank pulley then the blower spins quicker which creates more boost. More boost more HP correct?
yes ... till the motor can afford it !

However we have no idea what PSI this represent becuase nobody puts a boo
st gauge in their cars,which i find odd.
No, we have a MAP sensor in the collector after the intercooler and you can read the pressure via Star or other software that tuners usually have. For example, the max my blower showed with stock pulley of 151mm (measured at the groove) was 0.72BAR.

Obviously the stock blower is only going to flow but so much air. I would like to know how much boost can be ran on pump gas using the stock blower and fuel system. Also what size pulley is needed to achieve this boost level.

Best,
your last question is more complicate but again, you can find alot of info through search.

Summing up, first thing you must have an accurate view at this chart.

Let's try to do the homework together :
with Stock pulley we are at about 62% efficiency, with the blower running at about 10K rpms (at engine redline) and a discharge air temp of 100+ degrees C.
Max allowed blower rpm is declared at 13,500rpms, with a max pressure of 2.2 times the natural pressure. therefore it is 2.2-1 = 1.2BAR

we know that Stock SC pulley is about 91mm;
- stock crankpulley is 151
therefore Ratio is 151/91 = 1.659 ratio
.. meaning that at engine redline of 6500, the blower will run at 10,784rpms

the result you are looking for should be 13500/6500= 2.07 ratio
therefore the theoretical max crank pulley is 2.07x91= 188mm
and you get 1.2BARs of boost.

obviously, it depends on where your engine limiter is at ! ... a 7000rpm engine limiter would allow a maximum of 175mm crank pulley

but, keep in mind there is a reverse relationship between efficiency and boost level, as the graph and common sense suggest ..

personally I prefer to obtain the power more from inside the engine than from outside (the blower)
.. but this is only a matter of tastes ..I like so much high revving engines

Last edited by dyno; 04-12-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:50 PM

:)
Wow. the response is very detail and very technical. which I am completly lost.

Can I get the pulley kit without ECU flash or Tune? how much power would I gain with only Pulley kit. and no flash, no tune, no heat exhange.
and what are my risk or downside to just Pulley upgrade. (include new water pump pulley)
Old 04-12-2009, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 SL55
Wow. the response is very detail and very technical. which I am completly lost.

Can I get the pulley kit without ECU flash or Tune? how much power would I gain with only Pulley kit. and no flash, no tune, no heat exhange.
and what are my risk or downside to just Pulley upgrade. (include new water pump pulley)
I had the VRP 175mm pulley installed without an ECU tune and immediately ran into the load limiter. As a result my car was no faster with the 175mm pulley than it was with the stock pulley. I then got the VR600 ECU tune and the car became MUCH faster.

The bottom line is, you need an ECU tune to get the benefit from a larger crank pulley.

Cooling is a bit more complicated. A larger pulley generates more heat in the intake but it's only a problem when the temp reaches/exceeds the overheating threshold (140F?). Depending on a bunch of factors including ambient air temperature, the stock heat exchanger setup on your CLS, and other factors such as how hard you run the car, you may or may not need additional cooling.

You can always add cooling later so there's no risk in trying to get by with stock cooling. That said, your car will run stronger in more diverse conditions if you upgrade the cooling.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

JMF, 140 deggree in graph is Centigrade.
but this Temp is before Intercooler work ..

NEWGUY, the graph is surely complicate but it's enough for you to read what I typed below it.

replacing a pulley is not a great job and also the cost should be affordable from anybody sitting into a car like this ..
therefore you can simply try what you thing better, you make your errors .. you learn and maybe you will later on do something different.

what I can tell you is that after my "small" 161mm pulley (that equals to about 166mm total diameter, depending on the dimension of the outer rim. id est, the same dimension as the first Renn and Klee pulleys, think), and everything else stock, I felt the car stronger .. maybe to its limit without stepping to a tune, to an exhaust work, etc....

but, again, this depends to some extent to each one's tastes: in general I don't like so much Forced Induction engine's behaviour: I really hate the lack of low end in turbos; this car was my first experience with Kompressor and must say that I appreciate very much the help that the kompressor gives at low till mid ... IMHO, trying to put a jumbo pulley into a Kompressor is like trying to transform it into a Turbo .. and, simply, it does not work ... too much parasitic power loss !

so, in conclusion, if you go bigger than 161/166 (ID/OD), be prepared to go further on along the mods' chain ..

best
Old 04-13-2009, 08:38 AM
Banned

Sport HSE
I really hate the lack of low end in turbos;
best
A properly sized turbo will make more torque, more horse power, and reach its target boost level quicker than a comparable sized supercharger "every time"

Best,
Old 04-13-2009, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by A Robinson
A properly sized turbo will make more torque, more horse power, and reach its target boost level quicker than a comparable sized supercharger "every time"

Best,
for example.. 911TT or Mitsu ?
suggest me one with those characteristics, able to rev till at least 7000 rpm stock, and it will be my next car

... or maybe next AMG 55TT with M278 DE55LA motor

it's a pity that the SLS will still have the 63 ..
Old 04-13-2009, 09:13 AM
Banned

Sport HSE
for example.. 911TT or Mitsu ?
suggest me one with those characteristics, able to rev till at least 7000 rpm stock, and it will be my next car

... or maybe next AMG 55TT with M278 DE55LA motor

it's a pity that the SLS will still have the 63 ..

I love the 63 for its simplicity and power. However im a forced induction freak
Old 04-13-2009, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 746 Likes on 727 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
use RENNtech, VRP or ASP pulley kit and u'll be fine for daily driving...
Old 04-17-2009, 07:36 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

I would personally not use any pulley that is just a modified factory pulley or a pinned on enlargement.

But to your question, 175mm seems to be the magic number. We've tested larger pulleys and while theoretically it should make more boost, the car does bleed off the excess boost so there is no realized gain. So bigger pulley does NOT mean more power. There may be other downsides to larger pulleys if not addressed, like additional heat buildup, etc.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG & RRS S/C
wont u get more hp and tq with a 180mm pulley if u upgrade the cooling system?

whats the most boost we can hold and how can we make the car hold more if it starts to bleed boost?
Old 04-18-2009, 02:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Simon @ evosport
I would personally not use any pulley that is just a modified factory pulley or a pinned on enlargement.

But to your question, 175mm seems to be the magic number. We've tested larger pulleys and while theoretically it should make more boost, the car does bleed off the excess boost so there is no realized gain. So bigger pulley does NOT mean more power. There may be other downsides to larger pulleys if not addressed, like additional heat buildup, etc.

I keep one of these on my furniture like a fine piece of engineering ... springs and clutch inside ... really beautiful, it's a "Master of Complications"

.. btw, this is what I call "169mm" pulley because 175 is its OD
Old 04-18-2009, 02:41 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

Originally Posted by jikjak
wont u get more hp and tq with a 180mm pulley if u upgrade the cooling system?
Not with regard to the issue of boost bleeding. Our Kompressor Cooling Upgrade (KCUP) maintains power that otherwise gets lost when heat soaking is an issue.

whats the most boost we can hold and how can we make the car hold more if it starts to bleed boost?
Our tests have shown that there is no real value to a 180mm pulley. With a smaller and larger pulley test, we can measure the boost on the dyno with no change in boost or realized power. With regards to controlling boost, you would need to control the actuation of the valve. Again, there may very well be downsides to overboosting the motor.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:43 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

I keep one of these on my furniture like a fine piece of engineering ... springs and clutch inside ... really beautiful, it's a "Master of Complications"
Speaking of complications, I have a version I wear on my wrist
Old 04-18-2009, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

except chrono, the only complication I ever desired was ... just to stay on topic ...

the STAR WHEEL

... a kind of Salterello
Old 04-18-2009, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Our tests have shown that there is no real value to a 180mm pulley. With a smaller and larger pulley test, we can measure the boost on the dyno with no change in boost or realized power. With regards to controlling boost, you would need to control the actuation of the valve. Again, there may very well be downsides to overboosting the motor.
I read that the Kleemann Autorotor can run up to 26psi so do you think it is realistic to install a 172mm crank pulley with a 60mm SC pulley to achieve 26psi or 1.87 Bar on a reinforced/rebuilt engine?
Old 04-18-2009, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG & RRS S/C
so 175mm is the biggest size the pulley should be?
is a cooling upgrade still required for a 175mm pulley?

what kind of gains can i expect from going from a kleeman 168mm pulley to a 175mm pulley?
Old 04-18-2009, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 746 Likes on 727 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jikjak
is a cooling upgrade still required for a 175mm pulley?
yes

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Whats the different between 172mm and 180mm pulleys