Ready to purchase Carlsson C-Tronic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 07:34 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG
Ready to purchase Carlsson C-Tronic

I would like to purchase the Carlsson C-Tronic lowering module. After some research i have found. The C-Tronic lowers the car a maximum 2", and its the only true plug N plan module on the market. Any insigth of feedback is welcomed. Any MBworld sponsors please PM me or chime on. I would like to make this purchase today.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
I just purchsed this for my ML63 and am having it installed on Friday or Monday. Seemed to be the best i could find, except i found the Renntech lowering module only after i purchased the Carlsson unit. i think the Renntech one has a digital in-car remote to adjust the suspension to different levels. Have you looked at that one ??
Old 05-27-2009, 07:57 AM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Maverick1975
I just purchsed this for my ML63 and am having it installed on Friday or Monday. Seemed to be the best i could find, except i found the Renntech lowering module only after i purchased the Carlsson unit. i think the Renntech one has a digital in-car remote to adjust the suspension to different levels. Have you looked at that one ??
Maverick1975

Thank you for the quick reply. The Renntech was my first choice. However after doing some reading in the archives here. I found that the Carlsson is the only true plug n play unit. The Carlsson also lowers the car 2" and the Renntech only lowers the car 1.5". After some brianstorming i concludeds that once i set the ride hight. I doubt i will alter it much if ever. Please post you review of the Carlsson once your install is completed.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gunmetal GTR, 2013 C63 AMG
I have the Renntech with the remote and I have to say the drop is def 2" as well. I drive at this settling all the time but I have found myself a few times catching the floor. I have the remote nicely position now close to hand so that when I see a potential problem ahead I can switch it off and then back on. As for plug and play it takes about 2hrs to install and the instructions are very good. Good luck!
Old 05-27-2009, 09:22 AM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
mcma1

You raise some valuable points. Did you install your ELM yourself, or did you have a shop install it?
Old 05-27-2009, 09:38 AM

I did it myself, its only a matter of swapping 8 pins and connection to the power. No cutting to worry about! The remote is excellent also, plently of cable to run it to a good location.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:47 AM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by mcma1
I did it myself, its only a matter of swapping 8 pins and connection to the power. No cutting to worry about! The remote is excellent also, plently of cable to run it to a good location.

Mcma1

Swapping 8 pins does not sound very difficult. I have swapped and spliced pins and wires for piggyback fuel computers on all kinds of cars in the past. The Renntech seems to be the ELM of choice.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Full Throttle
Mcma1

Swapping 8 pins does not sound very difficult. I have swapped and spliced pins and wires for piggyback fuel computers on all kinds of cars in the past. The Renntech seems to be the ELM of choice.
This will be a piece of cake for you....good luck
Old 05-28-2009, 12:38 AM

CLS55 & CL CK60
i just had the renntech with remote installed at renntech corporate down the street from my house. after researching and spending plenty of time picking the owners brain (he knows his stuff) i splurged for the v2 with remote and after having driven in CLS's with the links it is night and day...

i have had suspension work done on EVERY car i have ever owned and am quite picky about ride comfort. with my car down about 1.4" you cant even tell its lowered. the cars with links road like garbage in comparison (my opinion). the total allowable drop is about 2.25" but when i go that low my wheels start to tuck and it seems silly. it is definitely 2" or more drop

if money is no object renn-tech is where it is at and after seeing there whole operation i have a new respect for the engineering and brains that go into their work. if you arent getting the remote i believe the plug n play module is approx 1400-1500 installed. let me know if you want pics or any other info

Last edited by beauphus; 05-28-2009 at 12:39 AM. Reason: mispelled
Old 05-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Thanks for the feedback guys. I did some research, and i decided to go with the Carlsson. I like the bridge harness (no removing pins or splicing wires) and im not looking for a VIP slammed look. I like that it raises a little when driving to retain ride quality and lowers again once it comes to a stop. I will post pics once installed.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 CLS500 with 55 AMG motor, 2008 Infiniti G35, 2000 Plymouth Grand Voyager
I also have the renntech, and I love it. I have V2, so I will get the remote soon.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:12 AM

CLS55 & CL CK60
Originally Posted by khelawanb
I also have the renntech, and I love it. I have V2, so I will get the remote soon.
i have the remote and find it quite helpful. i can adjust my height at ANY time and have approx 3.5 to 4" range of motion up or down. i was going to just do suspension without remote but i am glad i got it. i find i use the remote more than i wouldve expected
Old 05-30-2009, 07:27 AM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Hey Guys

I ordered the C-tronic from Kennedy Performance. I found them online, and they had the best price i have seen at $1495. I cant wait to get this installed. Carlsson has a cool video on their sight that shows the installation process, you just plug it in and go.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 CLS500 with 55 AMG motor, 2008 Infiniti G35, 2000 Plymouth Grand Voyager
Hey Guys

I ordered the C-tronic from Kennedy Performance. I found them online, and they had the best price i have seen at $1495. I cant wait to get this installed. Carlsson has a cool video on their sight that shows the installation process, you just plug it in and go.

$1,500 seems kinda high. I paid $1,300 for my Renntech. But, enjoy it bro. Any module will make the car look great!
Old 05-30-2009, 08:48 AM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Thanks!!
Old 06-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Hi Guys

I received my Carlsson C-tronic today. The control module is made from machined aluminum. This is a very high quality device. The bridge connector is very well crafted and looks OEM. The instructions are extremely straight forward. This unit is 100% plug n play. No wires to splice or pins to relocate. I will install this tonight, and i will post before and after shots along with driving chairactersitics shortly.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
I was thinking on a Lowering module, too
.. but I always read some kind of complaint, like for example that it does not lower the car enough (Brabus) or there is an abnormal continuous adjusting of the level
.. or, concerning the C-tronic, that "Every time the car is in motion, the AirMatic suspension raises the car back up and once I come to a stop, the car lowers back down." ...
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r230...e-problem.html

would really appreciate an unbiased feedback !
Old 06-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by dyno
I was thinking on a Lowering module, too
.. but I always read some kind of complaint, like for example that it does not lower the car enough (Brabus) or there is an abnormal continuous adjusting of the level
.. or, concerning the C-tronic, that "Every time the car is in motion, the AirMatic suspension raises the car back up and once I come to a stop, the car lowers back down." ...
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r230...e-problem.html

would really appreciate an unbiased feedback !
Dyno I read many of those reviews as well. After further research i found that the C-tronic does raise the car a little when driving to retain sufficient ride quality. The C-tronic will also rise when riding over extremely uneven or rough surfaces to make the ride quality as good as possible. If this unit is not to my liking or is problematic or damaging i will post all feedback good and bad. This Unit seemed like the most complete and user friendly application.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dyno I read many of those reviews as well. After further research i found that the C-tronic does raise the car a little when driving to retain sufficient ride quality. The C-tronic will also rise when riding over extremely uneven or rough surfaces to make the ride quality as good as possible. If this unit is not to my liking or is problematic or damaging i will post all feedback good and bad. This Unit seemed like the most complete and user friendly application.

I agree about user friendliness ... indeed can't understand why nobodyelse put a similar socket adaptor to avoid any installation issue
(maybe because true developers of these devices make them for so many different cars that don't want to mess with each one's socket model ... just speculating )

.. parallelly, the c-tronic does not have an as much friendly remote switch for on/off itself

I am still a bit concerned because it does maybe too many things.

Don't know what you guys are looking from a device of this type; as for me, I would only need my suspension button to lower the car about one inch more when pushed on position 2. that's all: I like stock self adjusting stiffening when in Normal and when manually operated. The same for manual heightening possibility .

to some extent, I would hope that c-tronic stated heightening and softening when riding on uneven surfaces would not do anything different than switching back to our stock AMG normal setting
Old 06-02-2009, 01:53 PM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by dyno
I agree about user friendliness ... indeed can't understand why nobodyelse put a similar socket adaptor to avoid any installation issue
(maybe because true developers of these devices make them for so many different cars that don't want to mess with each one's socket model ... just speculating )

.. parallelly, the c-tronic does not have an as much friendly remote switch for on/off itself

I am still a bit concerned because it does maybe too many things.

Don't know what you guys are looking from a device of this type; as for me, I would only need my suspension button to lower the car about one inch more when pushed on position 2. that's all: I like stock self adjusting stiffening when in Normal and when manually operated. The same for manual heightening possibility .

to some extent, I would hope that c-tronic stated heightening and softening when riding on uneven surfaces would not do anything different than switching back to our stock AMG normal setting
Dyno you make some great points. I have no use for a remote control. I see absolutely no reason to adjust the ride height once its set. I will post a full review once the system has been installed. So far i am very impressed with the quality, construction and completeness of this product.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
07 RS4 sold, R53 Cooper S, 2008 Cayman S, 2012 GTR
for the CLS the C-tronic will only lower you 30mm, so be prepared.

Otherwise, the carlsson unit is an absolutely great product.

for the ML however, I would say if you want to lower it, you have to get the RENNtech with remote. It is an absolute pain in the butt to get to the suspension computer on the ML, you have to take the carpet out in the driver side footwell, then
there's this kevlar "plate" that has to be removed to get to the
suspension computer

Last edited by James@ACG; 06-02-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:56 AM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
James 1.18" is all i need thanks for the input.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I had my local Mercedes expert install the Carlsson unit and he said it was a piece of cake. Lowered it 30mm in back and 25mm in front and i think it looks great. There was still plenty of clearance to lower car further. One is still able to use Sport & Comfort mode etc no probs except i always use sport anyway. Ride is firmer obviously but that is why i had it done in the first place. Handling improved, happy customer.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Maverick1975
I had my local Mercedes expert install the Carlsson unit and he said it was a piece of cake. Lowered it 30mm in back and 25mm in front and i think it looks great. There was still plenty of clearance to lower car further. One is still able to use Sport & Comfort mode etc no probs except i always use sport anyway. Ride is firmer obviously but that is why i had it done in the first place. Handling improved, happy customer.

so, with that thing installed, if you push the lowering button at 2 lines, le car still lowers 15mm more (still 30mm more than stock);
and if you push the raise button, it will raise 30mm less than stock.
and when fast on highway it will still automatically lower a bit the car

is it that ?
Old 06-03-2009, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes. The computer is fooled into thinking it is at a different height (depending on where you set it according to your own preferences). Once the computer is set by you or your mechanic its lowered by, in my case 30mm, then when I press 'Sport' it lowers it 8mm below the 'Auto' level (which is 30mm below the stock 'Auto' level because thats the drop i chose). Similarly, if you were to choose Comfort the car would raise to 7mm above the Auto level = ie a total 15mm above the Sport setting. In other words all the suspension functions are the same except the starting point is 30mm lower - or whatever height you would rather set it at.

There is still a lot of clearance for the me to lower it by the 30mm, put it in Sport which drops it the 8mm and then for it to go lower again once car hits highway speeds.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ready to purchase Carlsson C-Tronic