C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

resonator delete....worth it? too loud? cost?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63 P31, 2003 C32
resonator delete....worth it? too loud? cost?

hey guys, i'm taking my C32 in for 40K service, and I'm giving thought to the resonator delete. First, does it affect performance at all? In any way, bad or good- rough idle, more horses, etc.?

Second, does it sound too loud? i dont' want to sound like one of those idiot kids in a honda civic with one of these big pipes on the back.

Third, does it sound good?

forth, what should it cost?
Old 12-10-2005, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
[QUOTE=danielemccabe]hey guys, i'm taking my C32 in for 40K service, and I'm giving thought to the resonator delete. First, does it affect performance at all? In any way, bad or good- rough idle, more horses, etc.?

Second, does it sound too loud? i dont' want to sound like one of those idiot kids in a honda civic with one of these big pipes on the back.

Third, does it sound good?

forth, what should it cost?[/QUOTE

Not big sound change. Sounds slightly meaner, IMO. Certainly not punk-ricer. Cost is less than $50. Make sure your muffler guy does a careful leak check. Few more ponies, few less pounds. No brainer mod, IMO.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:15 PM

2010 C63 P31, 2003 C32
you got this done outside of the dealer? local muffler guy? i'm always nervous taking the car to anyone other than the dealership. I'm going to call the dealer and see what they want to do it. Where did you get yours done?
Old 12-10-2005, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
Originally Posted by danielemccabe
you got this done outside of the dealer? local muffler guy? i'm always nervous taking the car to anyone other than the dealership. I'm going to call the dealer and see what they want to do it. Where did you get yours done?
You must enjoy getting bent over! I'm friend's with several former Benz dealer techs and if you knew how uneducated/unenthusiastic about their jobs many of them are and how much the dealership tries to cut corners you would most likely never take your car their again.

FYI, the dealer doesn't do custom muffler work/welding. They just bolt and unbolt, so to do this you'll have to go outside of them.

The mod didn't gain me any HP but it did make it sound much better. The cost should be the price of a section of appropriate size metric pipe and about an hour of labor; no more than $100.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:24 PM

2010 C63 P31, 2003 C32
Well, where to you take your car?

what i like about the dealer, is that when they **** up, they just get you a new one. plus they have a better knowledge of MY car than some ***** on the corner.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
Originally Posted by danielemccabe
Well, where to you take your car?

what i like about the dealer, is that when they **** up, they just get you a new one. plus they have a better knowledge of MY car than some ***** on the corner.
You just have to find a good mechanic that specializes in Mercedes. I take my car to a performance shop and have most of the stuff done there.

Forgot to add that if you're still under warranty then you should definitely continue to take it there ;0). Once the warranty is up though, run. lol
Old 12-10-2005, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55 AMG, ML63 AMG, Past 996GT3,ZCPM3,Brabus C32,ML 500
best mod ever and any muffler shop can do it for around 50 bux.

so DO IT
Old 12-10-2005, 06:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
I go around and around on this too daniel. I found a local guy willing to do this, and it seemed like a reasonable price at $60, BUT I worry that it will drone on long rides. Usually the AMG is so well-mannered that my wife is pretty amenable to taking it when we go on long trips, even though it's got less room than our other cars. I like this, but if it get's too loud she might relent. There is a decent video of this up (maybe in that compilation I posted a while back?) and it SEEMs loud and sputtery, but you really have to hear these in person I think.

Anyways, I'm going to do it soon (next week after the dealer fixes my seat heater) I think, so if you want to hold off I can make a video of it from inside, driving by, at idle, on the highway etc...and I'll be the guinnea pig for this one since you were the lab rat on the rear wing (getting one for Christmas btw after your experience).

I'm not really concerned with the performance gains on this one, regardless of claim.

The thing is, I WANT a REAL sport's car; say Vader's ride. But I NEED to have two car seats, take out customers and colleagues, and still feed my sport-car fix. The C32 has a LOT of the things I'm looking for in a sports-car, but it doesn't give me the complete sports-car experience - it's missing a few things, and it's subtle, but the SOUND is extremely important to me. Vader, you gotta admit when going to the GT3 a MAAAAJOR thing you will probably FOREVER get-off on is the sound that thing makes...yes?

I want something like that. Now some poster in (Hong Kong maybe?) had a local shop do a custom dual-exhaust project and that's exactly what I'd like to end up with. Someone asked if it was loud without mufflers and he said something to the effect of "it sounds like a porsche". I'm in.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
silver 2002 c32 amg
i would like to know what diff this makes also as i have been looking at my exhaust ...
i know a tuner who can fit me a quad pipe system for less than £1000 and they say the sound is awesome, but i'm a bit reluctant as it doesn't really add much power and i probably wont be able to sell my old system on + its still got plenty of miles left in it ... i'm tempted though
Old 12-11-2005, 11:50 AM

2010 C63 P31, 2003 C32
Biff, That would be great if you could let me know how the delete goes. Once i get my mind on making a mod, i usually do it very quickly. you will love the spoiler- looks great and updates the car a little.

I think Vader's comment about it being a great mod has sold me. i'm going to get it done very soon. I figure if i don't like the sound i'll just put the resonators back in!

I'm always jealous of my buddy's 2003 M3, because it sounds so nasty- espcially compared to mine. i think the C32 needs a little more rasp.

the quad pipe system would probably look amazing and add a tiny bit of power, but you'd have to get a new rear lower bumper, so that could run serious cash.