C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

My thumbs hurt....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My thumbs hurt....

A useless post but I'm bored at work so I thought I'd share.

Did you guys have sore thumbs after trying to install the flat hood emblem? It seems like you have to squeeze the emblem into the grommets with some crazy steroid thumbs! I thought I was going to pop a blood vessel because I was squeezing so hard.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:25 PM

silver 2002 c32 amg
cant comment on the hood emblem but i did once have to fit a new bumper insert and my thumbs and fingers hurt like hell the damn thing didn't want to go in, i got so wound up i nearly took a hammer to it lol ...finally when i'd just about given up it popped in with hardly any effort
Old 02-03-2006, 09:16 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
i didn't have any problem installing the hood emblem.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:26 PM

'05 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by sdsilverm3
A useless post but I'm bored at work so I thought I'd share.

Did you guys have sore thumbs after trying to install the flat hood emblem? It seems like you have to squeeze the emblem into the grommets with some crazy steroid thumbs! I thought I was going to pop a blood vessel because I was squeezing so hard.
is your emblem totally flush? i can still feel a slight bump at the edges so maybe i didn't tighten it enough with my puny non-steroid thumbs
Old 02-03-2006, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by genechien
is your emblem totally flush? i can still feel a slight bump at the edges so maybe i didn't tighten it enough with my puny non-steroid thumbs
I got the OEM CLK flat badge so it doesn't fit in the recess. However there are no gaps between the hood and the emblem. I got it on there really snug.

Here are 2 pics with the CLK grille installed. I'm not sure if I'm feelin' it yet.

Oh, BTW thanks for the detailed install instructions Gene. They came in handy.
Attached Thumbnails My thumbs hurt....-img_3023.jpg   My thumbs hurt....-img_3022.jpg  

Last edited by sdsilverm3; 02-03-2006 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
N/A
Dude, definitely feeling the grill. it looks great.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:29 PM

'05 C55 AMG
I got the OEM CLK flat badge so it doesn't fit in the recess. However there are no gaps between the hood and the emblem. I got it on there really snug.

Here are 2 pics with the CLK grille installed. I'm not sure if I'm feelin' it yet.

Oh, BTW thanks for the detailed install instructions Gene. They came in handy.
no problem, glad i could help you know what, i really like the look of the clk grill, but the stock grill with a flat badge looks pretty great on your car also...maybe because your car is white, all that silver color in the stock grill really makes your car shine. tough decision.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:12 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
IMO the stock C55 grille looks better. The CLK/CL grille should stay on the CLK and CL.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by FrankW
IMO the stock C55 grille looks better. The CLK/CL grille should stay on the CLK and CL.
werd. Please put the original grill back. It doesnt look good on a white car. The stock grill looks very nice on your car. If it not broken,dont fix it
Old 02-04-2006, 04:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the input guys. I was staring at it while I was down at Qualcomm for the drags tonight and I agree with most of you that the stock C55 grille looks better. I just kept thinking my car was a CLK from the front. I guess I was just in the destructive mode of "if it ain't broke fix it 'til it is". LOL.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your grill and the necessary hardware Gene?

Anyone interested in a CLK grille that's less than 1 day old?
Old 02-04-2006, 05:00 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
clean it up and return it to the dealership if you bought it from there. lol

btw, I always thought there was something wrong about the C55 front end. Now i know what it is. It is the tow hook cover on the front impact strip. It totally doesn't match the rear square tow hook cover. IMO MB should've made a C55 specific impact strip or change the tow hook cover on the rear bumper, so that they are either both round or square. just my 2cent lol
Old 02-04-2006, 11:29 AM

'05 C55 AMG
Thanks for the input guys. I was staring at it while I was down at Qualcomm for the drags tonight and I agree with most of you that the stock C55 grille looks better. I just kept thinking my car was a CLK from the front. I guess I was just in the destructive mode of "if it ain't broke fix it 'til it is". LOL.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your grill and the necessary hardware Gene?

Anyone interested in a CLK grille that's less than 1 day old?
i got it from neal at euroteck. when the 06 grill first came out, he test fitted one to make sure the fitment was still the same so he gave me a slight discount from the $440 price...it being "used" and all. i think i paid about $400.

how'd you do at qualcomm? i live a couple minutes from there but still haven't gone yet. we should organize a group meet there one friday
Old 02-04-2006, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by genechien
i got it from neal at euroteck. when the 06 grill first came out, he test fitted one to make sure the fitment was still the same so he gave me a slight discount from the $440 price...it being "used" and all. i think i paid about $400.

how'd you do at qualcomm? i live a couple minutes from there but still haven't gone yet. we should organize a group meet there one friday
Thanks for the info Gene.

We should go a meet down there. There were a lot of cars but only 1 AMG. He was layin' it down though (better be, it was a SL65). There were 2 E46 M3's, one belonging to a friend, but he didn't do very well launching the SMG.

Racing happens again next Friday (17th) but there are no races after that until March 31st. I'm down to hit it up next Friday. I have a friend coming in from Denver so I'm sure he'll be down to go with his newly purchased M3.

Originally Posted by FrankW
clean it up and return it to the dealership if you bought it from there. lol

btw, I always thought there was something wrong about the C55 front end. Now i know what it is. It is the tow hook cover on the front impact strip. It totally doesn't match the rear square tow hook cover. IMO MB should've made a C55 specific impact strip or change the tow hook cover on the rear bumper, so that they are either both round or square. just my 2cent lol
I don't know if they will accept it as a return since it was a special order. I guess that's better for other members.

I agree with you on the impact strips. C55's got shafted. :p

Anyone interested in a CLK grille and all hardware for $350?

Last edited by sdsilverm3; 02-04-2006 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
that would be a killer-looking grille if it didn't have the "pimpmobile-sized" star in the middle of it. don't any of these aftermarket folks make a clk style grille (ie one with fewer blades than stock c/e 55's) without the imo tastelessly garish star on it?
Old 02-04-2006, 02:50 PM

'05 C55 AMG
Thanks for the info Gene.

We should go a meet down there. There were a lot of cars but only 1 AMG. He was layin' it down though (better be, it was a SL65). There were 2 E46 M3's, one belonging to a friend, but he didn't do very well launching the SMG.

Racing happens again next Friday (17th) but there are no races after that until March 31st. I'm down to hit it up next Friday. I have a friend coming in from Denver so I'm sure he'll be down to go with his newly purchased M3.

I don't know if they will accept it as a return since it was a special order. I guess that's better for other members.

I agree with you on the impact strips. C55's got shafted. :p

Anyone interested in a CLK grille and all hardware for $350?
sweet, i'd love to meet up but i might be going out of town the weekend of the 17th (president's day weekend) for some skiing. i'm definately down to go if i'm in town. i'll shoot you a pm when i know for sure.

$350 is a GREAT price for a basically new 06 CLK grill. i'm sure someone will snap it up soon.

Last edited by genechien; 02-04-2006 at 03:01 PM. Reason: oops got the dates wrong
Old 02-04-2006, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Coo...just let me know Gene. I realized I didn't answer your question of how I did down there. I spectated last night and didn't run so I don't know how I would have done. We should get our cars Kleemann-ized and show them what an AMG can do.