C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Switching to another Engine Oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 CLK55
Switching to another Engine Oil

Have any members try using other engine oils besides the recommended Mobil 1? this product is worth a look. i am going to do a oil change soon and was looking for comments on switching to this Torco oil.

Product Description: Developed under the most severe racing conditions, Torco SR-5 offers the highest level of performance and protection for highly modified race engines. SR-5 utilizes Group IV/V synthetic base oil chemistries and additive technologies engineered to with stand extreme loads, constant severe temperatures and maximum engine revolutions. SR-5 utilizes Torco’s race specific MPZ technology which reduces frictional losses for maximizing horsepower and torque. Features & Benefits: Group IV/V 100% Synthetic Formulas Maximizes horsepower & torque output by as much as 4% Reduces engine temperatures Highest level of engine protection Typical Uses: SAE 0W-20 Recommended for use in racing or highly modified street engines here an SAE 0W20 or 5W20 are specified. Used for maximum horsepower and torque gains.Commonly used in Winston Cup, Busch, Pro Stock (drag racing), sports compact and import sport engines. SAE 5W-30 Recommended for use in racing or highly modified street engines where an SAE 5W30 or 10W30 are specified. Commonly used in Winston Cup, Busch, Pro Stock (drag racing), sports compact and import sport engines Turbo and supercharged approved. Also recommended for late model sports cars and hot rods.SAE 5W-40 Recommended for use in racing or highly modified street engines where an SAE 5W40, 10W30, 10W40 or 15W40 are specified. Commonly used in road racing, drag racing and circle track. Turbo and supercharged approved. Also recommended for early or late model sports cars and hot rods. Excellent choice for dual duty engines used for street and competition use. SAE 5W-50 Recommended for use in racing or highly modified street engines where a SAE 5W50, 10W50, 15W50 or 20W50 are specified. Commonly used in road racing, drag racing, sprint car and circle track. Turbo, supercharged, nitrous and alcohol (injected/carbureted) approved. Excellent choice for early or late model large displacement (big bore) engines used for high performance street or competition use. Provides optimized ring seal and maximum horsepower for applications requiring higher viscosity oils. SAE 20W-50 Recommended for use in racing or highly modified street engines where an SAE 15W50 or 20W50 is specified. Commonly used in road racing, drag racing, off road, endurance and circle track. Turbo, supercharged, nitrous and alcohol (carbureted/injected) approved. Highly recommended for continuous extreme temperature operation and heavily loaded engines. Excellent choice for early or late model large displacement (big bore) engines used for high performance street or competition use. Provides optimized ring seal and improved horsepower over other synthetic oils in the same viscosity grade. SR-5 is formulated to Torco’s proprietary race specific additive technology. Meets Or Exceeds: Exceeds API performance requirements. Intended for racing applications.

Last edited by D_Star; 03-22-2006 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:43 PM
SPONSOR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i am thinking about using AMSOIL...i am fixing to do my first oil change since buying the car and i would like something better than mobil 1 in there...i have used amsoil in all my vehicles and never had a problem, i don't see why the mercedes is any different...
Old 03-22-2006, 03:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
I would be very cautious about changing to an oil that is not specified for use in your car. Torco and Amsoil are excellent products, but may not meet all of the Mercedes specifications for Sheet 229.5. There are dozens of oils on that list, but only Mobil 1 meets the specification for 229.5 in the US for 0W-40 oils. Sheet 229.3 has more oils specified for the US, but Torco and Amsoil are not approved.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:35 AM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by Moviela
I would be very cautious about changing to an oil that is not specified for use in your car. Torco and Amsoil are excellent products, but may not meet all of the Mercedes specifications for Sheet 229.5. There are dozens of oils on that list, but only Mobil 1 meets the specification for 229.5 in the US for 0W-40 oils. Sheet 229.3 has more oils specified for the US, but Torco and Amsoil are not approved.

where are you looking at the specs? i would like to do some reading on it, definitely don't want to switch if it will hurt my car...
Old 03-23-2006, 02:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Here is some reading:

www.mema.org/cmspages/getAttch.php?id=102

The specifiation is an internal publication of DC, but a list of oils is at your dealer in their Workshop Information System (WIS).

Here is a website that has a lot of information:

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/oil.html

Here is the list of 229.5 oils from that site, in case the link changes:

MB sheet 229.5 approved oils; "MB Longlife Service Oils"
for passenger cars with gas and diesel engines with extended drain intervals beyond 229.3 oils, to 30,000 km, min 1.8% fuel saving, first oils introduced summer 2002. For gas engines of the M100 series, gas engines of the M200 series and diesel engines of the OM600 series (not models with Euro 4 diesel particle filters).
229.5 engine oils must be used with fleece oil filter designed for use with 229.5 engine oils.

AGIP Formula LL DC 5W-30 (I)
Amsoil Synthetic 5W-40 European Engine Oil (USA)
Aral SuperTronic G 5W-30 (D)
Aral SuperTronic M 5W-30 (D)
Castrol DCO TOPUP 0W-30 (D)
Castrol Syntec European Formula 0W-30 (USA)
Elf Excellium 229.5 5W-30 (F)
FormulaShell Ultra AB 5W-30 (GB)
Fuchs Titan Supersyn SL MB 5W-30 (D)
Labo MB 229.5 5W-30 (F)
Liqui Moly Longtime High Tech 5W-30 (D)
Mobil 1 SuperSyn European Car Formula 0W-40 / Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 0W-40 (USA)
Mobil SHC Formula MB 5W-30
Motorex Profil M-XL 5W-30 (CH)
OMV full syn MB 5W-30 (A)
Pennzoil European Formula Ultra 5W-30 (USA)
Premium Synthetik Motorenöl 5W-30 (DaimlerChrysler, D)
Quaker State European Formula Ultra 5W-30 (USA)
Shell Helix Ultra AB 5W-30 (Mercedes-Benz) (GB)
Shell Helix Ultra DC 229.5 (GB)
Total Quartz 229.5 5W-30 (F)
Valvoline SynPower MB 5W-30 (NL)
Old 03-23-2006, 02:45 AM
SPONSOR

thanks for the info...i was hoping Amsoil was on the list, i have read some of that info you posted before, just never owned a european car before...i have been doing extended drain intervals for a while, so i am glad to know that this is an industry standard for MB...thanks again
Old 03-24-2006, 08:35 AM

BLACK 05 C230SS
I like Amsoil as well but I think Mobil 1 is good enough. Changing the oil more often than 10K miles would be an alternative if your conscious about it. I change the oil more often even though its not required and is scientifically a waste of money from performance tests of actually losing viscosity.

If you do the oil change yourself like me, might as well stick with Mobil 1 or if you can get Amsoil cheaper than Mobil 1 than do that. I don't know if you guys are like but I enjoy changing my oil because I like to do mechanical work on weekends instead of staring at a computer monitor 8+ hours a day at work.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
I know I beat the hell out of my trannsmission which is filled with AMSOIL ATF synthetic and all has been excellent so far! I have it in my diff as well!I use AMSOIL in all three of my German cars and my one beast of a Japanese car! AMSOIL"S Been Very very good to ME!
Old 03-26-2006, 03:47 PM

2005 C320 -Sports package - black / black
You guys all want to upgrade from Mobile 1 to something better. Where are you reading or hearing that Mobile one is not as good as the other brands? You would think that Mercedes would use one of the best right?

I think you just all have the 'MOD' bug and want something different than stock
Old 03-26-2006, 04:40 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by Belle the Benz
You guys all want to upgrade from Mobile 1 to something better. Where are you reading or hearing that Mobile one is not as good as the other brands? You would think that Mercedes would use one of the best right?

I think you just all have the 'MOD' bug and want something different than stock

if you think mobil 1 is the best stuff out there, then i have some ocean front property in arizona i can sell you, cheap!
Old 03-26-2006, 04:52 PM

05 CLK55
thank you guys all for your useful inputs, sounds like Amsoil is a good one out there~ i think i will head out to my mechanic for a good retail on this. thanks guys~